Do students ever show up early? (OPEN)

BlazingCoconut

Cheri smiled a bit, as she'd take a small fork from her bag, and rather delicately began to eat the mixture she made herself, smiling as she listened to the comments around her. Looking to Corinne, she'd point her fork and nod her head in a solid affirmation, her ears popping up to bounce a bit showily. "I actually agree to that ideology. I was taught that self reliance is one of the world's most important qualities, so for both my meals and training, I intend to perform properly. I've never really worked out before outside of walking around the grounds for general atmosphere, so I might need to bring more if I'm going to be expected to do a lot of weight lifting." She would pause a moment, before flicking her fork between her fingers and continuing with a bright smile. "And I hope I wasn't being offensive. Not everyone should pursue heroism as an occupation, I just happen to want it. Part of reaching that goal is going to be dealing with this place for a while, I guess. I can't really just wear a mask to any effectiveness, so I get one shot and one reputation. Gotta make sure not to screw up, y'know?"

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Corinne had finished up her mountain of food, and was guzzling a glass of milk, holding up a hand, finger extended as if to have a minute.

She let drew in a sharp bit of breath, before talking at Cheri then, "Yeah, so go hermit then?  Or go public."  Her expression severe, brows knitted together and looking a bit like a thunderstorm.  Corinne was blessed by being physically attractive, but in the moment it was a cold countenance.

"Not eating food that is included in a social setting, or offered to you isn't self-reliance.  It's a weird quirk, it's an identifiable thing.  Don't break the social contract, if you want to hide."  Her eyes wide as she stood to her full height, not slouching like she had been in the seat, and she had her palms opened upwards as she spread her arms wide.  "Like, I do ballet and dance, it's been, like, my religion.  And acrobatics.  Calories are calories.  Especially if you've ran for hours, or lifted weights.  You lost energy.  You replace energy.  Totally all there is, pinky swear."

She picked up her tray, and sighed then, looking away from everyone else.  "You guys are gonna want the moments of normal, before life just sort of... goes barrelling off a cliff, and you those moments come less and less."

"I like normal.  Well, whatever normal is," she said with a smile.  "I think just by being here, we've sort of exceeded any sort of expected normal."

"...and I'm not so certain about food as you are.  I mean, I eat, but it's not so important for me.  Well, other than starvation, but I think I would explode if I ate that much," then she paused and looked at Corrine, "I'm sorry, that sounded rude, didn't it?"

Rev

Rev finished the last of her breakfast and washed it down with orange juice and coffee. She was feeling progressively more pumped with excitement. Or was it anxiety? She didn't get nervous often, but this was some crazy day. 

"Bah! Life's too damn short to worry about a few pounds here and there. As long as you don't have to call Greenpeace because you think I am a beached whale, I'm going to eat what I want" she said with a grin. And she did too, but her restless body kept the worst of her indulgences without consequence to her physique. 

"Mind you, its a bit early for chocolate ice cream" she conceded. "And I don't want to fall asleep in class. Whatever, and whenever, we get classes?"

If the sudden cold shift in Corinne had affected Cheri, it wasn't displayed in her demenor, safe for her ears floating upwards... before slowly slinking back, seeming to be absorbed into her hair, restructuring somewhat as the black fur matching her hair flowed away from them, and the white fur lining that matched her face was all that remained. er ears grew much smaller and less prominent. It wasn't clear if it was intentional or not, as Cheri clicked her tongue before responding.

"Mm. I'm not personally concerned with hiding. There's no real reason for me. I'm identifiable, and I'm not exactly worried about my family's security. They have more than enough to keep them safe. For me, it is more about... progression. Seeing the different ways people have developed makes me curious about what I might be able to do in the future, and I want to run towards that future~ The way you look at things, it is a bit interesting, but it seems to be a lot more... mm... sensitive than I do. I'm a goal oriented person, and I'm sure I'll have roadblocks, but I more or less want to just crash through- Oh hell."

Cheri's eyes darkened, as she'd carefully reach behind her, pulling a newly formed tail through the customized hole in her skirt, quickly retying the knot at the upper band fitting the slim parting to fit her new shape. Herr body felt heavier as she did so, heaving a bit of a sigh as she rubbed her thumb on a palm and took her seat again.

"In any case... If I get hungry, I'll eat. I'm not going to starve myself or anything. I just feel like it is more important for me to handle as much myself as I can."

Spoiler

Rhino Totem

Impervious Toughness 8 (Reflective: Melee) [16vp]

Super Strength 2 [4vp]

Immovable 5 (Unstoppable) [10vp]

Alexa giggled, "you're not a whale!  Not even close.  I'm a little jealous really... although that's kind of the opinion of American's from home.  They do everything bigger and more extravagant!"

She pushed a few crumbs around on her plate using her nanobots, organizing the small morsels into tiny little structures, putting little thought into it much like doodling.  "So what do you parents think of all of this?  I haven't had the courage to talk to mine yet.  I know what they would say and I don't want to fight them on it."

Rev

Lexa stiffened slightly, still sore from the memories. "My Dad got shot a few years back" she explained, honestly. She felt the wetness of her eyes, but they did not bloom to tears. 

"So I don't know what he thinks, although the jar of ashes always gives me a nice friendly feel" she said, looking away and shrugging. "My mom, she is just glad I am alive, I think". 

She paused to think more on the future. She rarely did so, at least, not more than a few hours ahead. Perhaps she ought to do so more, although it was a dreadful way to look. If one's gaze lingered to the next day to often, one could get wrapped in anxiety. That path would not be for her. 

"But I guess I owe them both. I want them to be proud of me. Maybe I want to be proud of me too" she said, more solemnly, before suddenly reaching one arm to the sky and swapping to a flying pose. 

"So gimme a heat resistant cape and a touch of spandex, and I will be a HERO! JET-GIRL TO THE RESCUE...Tam tam Taaaaa!" she sang out, boldly. 

It was stuff like this that really pressed home to Alex just how lucky he was, though he had some dysfunction with his brother his family was by and large healthy, happy and supportive of him even if they didn't know about his powers.

Able to sense the need for a change in subject brought on by the subject matter he marshals what brains he has and puts them to work on the task.

"I guess branding is something you've gotta consider if you intend to make a career hero outta yourself." he humms "Maybe Facsimile wasn't such a smart idea; pretty hard to spell for kids and I had to look up its meaning when it was suggested to me."

Rev

"Nothing wrong with a bit of branding. As long as it isn't the red - hot - poker - on - cattle type" said Rev, enthusiastic now. 

"How about the kid who rights wrongs. COPY RIGHT!" she suggested, giving a thumbs up to Fax. "Or the mistress of illusion, the girl with a moral compass, MISS DIRECTION!" she added, giving a thumbs up to SFX. 

"Ok Ok" she laughed, quite aware of the silly nature of the conversation. "I'm not going to win any advertising prizes, am I? Although I still wouldn't mind a spandex cape with JET GIRL" written on it when I graduate from here. 

Corinne looked down at herself and pursed her lips as she dropped her hands to her waist.  "Sent here to learn my powers."  That was all there was to that.  "My father all rich and famous, and a hero."  She shrugged a bit.  She still didn't know, and he seemed uncomfortable with her, so she really didn't know what she thought.  Though she had enough of a sense of herself to understand that his life was flipped about hard too.

Maybe?

"So... you're saying no one here is self-reliant, in the slightest?"  Corinne was, not typically, an aggressive person, or overly sensitive.  But Cheri was managing to not just push buttons, but to hit many at an alarming rate.  "Because we don't prepack all of our food?  And that I am being sensitive, because I am saying 'Hey, yanno, if you want to be something, someone, else besides your powers, or whatever, then maybe learn to fit in.'"  There was incredulity in her voice.

Cheri's features darkened for a moment as she sat there... the various forms completely cutting out, her body almost looking like a furry biomass was morphing about just under her skin, as her features completely took onto her Rabbit Totem. She didn't know these people well enough for anyone to pick up on the somewhat subtle messaging that would give out, especially as her eyes completely focused on Corinne after being apparently reprimanded. She wouldn't try to interrupt or defend herself until after it seemed like the girl had said her piece, only staring a bit more coldly as it went on. Once Corinne had stopped, the now rabbit girl simply scooped up her things, carefully resealing the remainder of her meal, before standing properly.

"I don't know what earned that kind of response... but it seems like you have more issues than I do. If this was some kind of test to see how calm I can be or something, I guess I'm failing. Maybe this is just your own inability to get why someone wouldn't want to deal with all that stuff you think is so important, or maybe you are somehow thicker than me? I make my meals, because that way I can see how different foods react with my new body. What gives me energy, what tastes good. I know what I've eaten, what combinations I have tried, and what sorts of things work for me. Even before I transformed I didn't have any big dramatic aspirations, and I found something I want to be good at, regardless of whatever useless powers I might have gotten in the mix of some helpful ones. If you are too stressed out on your own circumstances to get that, it isn't really my problem. If you wanted to antagonize me... I really haven't tested the upper limit on how far I can chuck some overly judgmental schoolgirl."

Alexia was still smirking at Rev's nom de plume suggestion of Miss Direction, it had taken her a moment to get the pun, but when she did her quiet laughter told Rev that she had appreciated it.  She was about to reply when Corrine and Cheri seemed to get more and more antagonistic towards each other.  Trading verbal barbs and taking on a distinct hostile tone and body language.  While she wasn't sure if anyone else had read the student handbook, bylaws, and procedures, she had and didn't want to be involved in a disciplinary incident on her first day.

She stood up suddenly between the two of them, "those are rabbit ears, right?  They are really cool!"  

Yet in her haste to get up, her skirt caught on her breakfast tray, catapulting it into the air as it crashed into the front of her.  Grapefruit juice, butter, and the remnants of a glass of milk splattered across her.  She froze with a horrified look on her face as she looked down at the now stained and splattered 'first day at school' outfit.  "Oh... that's not good."

And that was it.

It was spiraling sideways hard, "I'm judgmental?  You're the one throwing out holier-than-thou preparedness bulls###!"  She was bigger, or at least seemed that way, as her voice started to echo.  "I said that maybe you should try to not stick out like a sore thumb before everything goes crazy... Before you don't get a chance to stop it all from going off the rails."  Her jaw set as she looked right at Cheri.  "Maybe look at what you said, huh?  Like, really pay attention to the words coming out of your mouth, and maybe how they come across.  Like, I dunno maybe not call a stranger sensitive because you're a callous b####, and manage to cram as many sideways implications and insults at everyone around you without realizing it..."  She lifted a hand, pantomiming little bunny Fru-Fru, and adopted a mocking imitation of Cheri's voice, "You're, like sensitive, and I'm totes a goal oriented person, a.k.a an a######, and am not responsible for the impact of my words.  Golly aren't I f###ing stinker!" 

"And then threaten them, 'Lil Bunny Wabbit..."  Her voice dripped with the sarcastic mastery of a teenager hitting terminal velocity.  "F### off, or step to this, you dumb cow."  She didn't just grab her power, she dove into it, exploding out in light and chaos as she became Zenith.  Her power twisting the table and bench seat around her, not just reshaping it but twisting into crystalline structures, as her forcefield erupted into being.

"aww jeeze.." alex says more disappointed than anything as he watches his remaining lunch get tied up in some kind of kleine bottle shape and carried away by the quickly becoming none euclidean table wistfully.

"Hey Zenith, New Girl, you should both go talk a cool down walk before you do something you'll regret." he says diplomatically "not in anyone best intrests that you go fighting on school grounds ya know? head master summers isn't someone you want to find yourself on the watched list of."

"particularly if you ever hope to have not only a normal life but one outside of Blackstone." he adds "which is where you'll end up if you cant control yourselves." fixing both of them firmly with his gaze.

"Kay?"

Rev

Reflexively, Rev took a few steps back from the situation. She had no wish to get involved. But...

"What the hell kind of madhouse is this?" she said...it was a voice bordering on a shout and it was directed at Zenith and Cheri. She was disgusted with them for trading insults, and angry with them for potentially getting her off to a bad start. 

What was she dealing with, kids?

Yes. 

"Go on then...let loose all your power and show us all what complete dicks you are. Go on, I like a show" she said, arm's crossed. "Do it. Show us just how little control you have. Hell, I came into here feeling like I was the bad girl. I guess you just made my day. Made me feel pretty good about myself"

She stared at them both with contempt. "You wont last five minutes in the real world, suckers". 

She stood reflexively infront of SFX, shielding her from any fallout. 

"Now, you guys go and throw your toys around like babies somewhere else. But you better do it on your own time, on your own turf, and with your own consequences. And count me out of it". 

She pointed the worst contempt, and a finger, at Zenith. "You just showed me you can't control yourself. I'm never going to take you seriously again, girl. Nobody is. Don't think your power makes you better. It's just made you worse..."

"Come on SFX" she said to the genius girl she had joined up with. "Lets get out of this trash pit.."

As the table morphed and changed around them, SFX agreed that things were getting well out of hand indeed!  Although, she didn't totally understand what the anger had been about in the first place, likely a result of a language barrier.  She nodded to Rev slowly as she did her level best to dab at her ruined dress, trying to remove the offending material from it.  "Well... I am going to have to get changed now I think."

Despite the tension flowing freely between the two, and the rapidly warping reality, she backed away slowly and gave a little wave, "it was very nice to meet all of you..."

Yet for all that, she was glad to have the comforting presence of Rev between her and the two arguing students.  She wondered if that was a heroic feeling, and as she looked at the ruined table, she decided that she didn't mind hiding behind the other girl as they finally walked away dragging her previously ruined suitcase behind her.  As they did, she looked back a couple of times, feeling a little guilty that she hadn't been able to defuse the situation.  However, she did need to change, and her dress was a mess.

Turning to Rev, she made an embarrassed gesture to her skirt, "do you mind if we stop at my room first?  I think I need to change.  I haven't been there yet, but... I think this is a good time to try."

Rev

Rev was calm quickly. She wasn't even sure how angry she was in the first place. Some, sure. But there were other emotions too. Disgust, for one. She hated any bullying. She had been bullied, and been a bully, at high school and felt shame for both. Damned if she was going to let it happen in front of her eyes. 

"Thanks, girl. I..look, I'm sorry if I scared you back there. I just don't what us...you or me...getting caught up in schoolyard power games, huh? I don't want to be sliding and climbing up the ladder like those two. I want to step off the ladder. I haven't got time for it. And if I get in trouble here, I'm more screwed than you can imagine. And I bet you can imagine lots with that megabrain, huh?" she smiled, trying to put velvet on the gravel. 

"And yeah, lets go get us a room. I'd be stoked if I can share with you, you know? I got a feeling I can trust you. And in any case, you are going to show me your skin!" she winked and chuckled. 

Cheri's entire body tensed up. Her feet sank into floor, as she felt an intense weight and a building pressure, her stance shifting a bit as her lower half bent a bit, ready to fly away with those speedy legs of hers, as her arms raised in some vain attempt to prove she wasn't scared of the glowing girl. Some people glowed, some people talked in weird suddenly shifting voices. This was her life now. Cheri had enough resolve to accept that much, as her tensing body only grew more and more so, the inevitable clash building up. She was only half aware at the second half of Corinne's angry rant, though she got the jist of it. Cheri's eyes didn't dare look to the girl genius who was trying to calm things down, she seemed nice. An idle thought went to protecting her Cheri wasn't sure just how strong she was, but part of her wanted to jump forward now to prevent the chance that she and Corinne would get her hurt. Her hands curled a bit, not into fists, but grabby little digits ready to yank this glowing girl and toss her as far away from the others as possible.

Can't back down. Never back down. Never be weak.

This other boy called this glowing Corinne Zenith. Must be her 'hero' name or something.He was trying to be reasonable here, and she had already had a run*in with the authorities. Given Zenith's size, she might have to pay to have some repair work done on this cafeteria when she tossed her. Maybe a little extra for screwing up on her first day? The rabbit ears twitched a bit, as the next moment passed and Cheri's body sank a bit, she had a plan in mind, Move Zenith quickly, secure the area, get blasted or something... her plan kind of faded at that point. She'd be relying entirely on instinct. Could she?

I could run. Toss her and bolt. That's not... Is that weakness?

This other girl had stepped in, reprimanded them... and more importantly... she was protecting the person that Cheri was most worried about. A slight ease of tension flowed through the rabbit's body. She felt that bravado at needing to keep another person safe ease up, which only opened a gaping hole that her fears could amass within. She already had the spring pulled, she couldn't emotionally stop it from launching, but now that Rev had taken the measures to keep remove one of the major concerns, and the others had been so quick to jump on the situation, she wasn't going to have to think any further. Cheri's body launched, high and forward, as she used her speed and bounciness to her advantage. She wasn't looking to take Zenith down just yet, instead she rose as high as she could before moving to make another leap from the ceiling, and bound behind the girl with her intense speed, landing with a loud crack, as her voice flowed with a terrified fury.

"I step where I please! You seem eager to spend a lot of time with the floor. If that is what you want, I'll knock that petty head a few times. Maybe you'll be able to handle things a bit better after that!"

Zenith closed one hand and that shimmering field around her started to expand.  "Right, so metal b****,  you're deaf too, huh?  Corinne just said she is here to control her powers.  So I am here now, and I don't give a f*** about you being just as much as a b*** as Bunny Froo-Froo over here."  Those eyes on Rev, apertures of light, as her burning crown of hair moved behind her as she stepped froward.

And then that field exploded outward, zigzagging between them.  Not touching anyone.  Though in it's wake a wall materialized, blockading SFX, Facsimile, and Rev off from Bestia and herself, the outline forming, before it was filled in with a dense black rock.  Probably basalt.  Her other hand moved, shaping the wall around her, and then wrapping it around behind Bestia.    At this point she had pivoted towards Bestia, those eyes locked onto her.  "Honey.  You don't want this, you think you're doing... whatever.  Standing up for yourself, against the big bad cheerleader.  This is noooooooooot Rocky IV, this is Heathers, and neither one of us is WInona Ryder."

Cheri's eyes widened as she saw the massive wall give them a bit of an arena, , her stance lowering a bit more as she suddenly felt a bit more cramped. Whatever it was, it would probably be a real pain to try to break through. But she was talking, and explaining quite a bit. As she chided the people who'd injected their opinions and reinforced Cheri's own decision making, this Zenith was now giving a bit more information. Finally deciding to focus on one another, the rabbit-eared girl would smile a bit, a wash of relief over her voice. Despite the danger, her adolescent fears were actually a bit eased as she looked at the state that girl had seemed to become.

"I think I get it. Alternate personalities or something, right. That means you are just a defect, one with some really awkward and dated references. Thank you!"

Cheri's body rushed forward at her top speed, moving to simply leap and grab at Zenith's face. Like before, she wasn't aiming to hurt the girl, but pin her down. She didn't know if this transformation made Corinne's body any tougher, and her brief stint as Bestia had let her realize just how easy she could really hurt someone if she let her new strength go out of control.

"No one ever listens, you don't get a thi-urk!"  And then Cheri was on her, Zenith moved smoothly back., as Cheri was fighting against Zenith's power, as that white and alternating coruscating field pushed out against her, making it easier for Zenith to pull back, and the forward charge by Cheri meant she was able to move past what Zentih was doing, which was reshaping the ground and basalt walls she had made, and had it lunging like a living thing at her.

She had the same intent, it seemed, to restrain the other girl.  The method was different, and the air was crackling, shimmering.

Callie Summer was still growing in her role as Headmaster of Claremont.  Not that she needed it.  She was born ready.  Like her father.  However, she was also resourceful, like bringing a bullhorn for this moment.  "Excuse me, ladies, if you are quite finished, I'd like to have a word for you."  It projected her voice clearly, even as they were pretty much wrapped around each other in their little cage match.