OOC: Rules Questions

Griffalo

You are probably right about the Str bonus. I don't have my books with me and was quoting from memory. I do remember +4 for Str, but it very well could be +4 to Str score not +4 to damage bonus. In fact, now that I think about it, I'm sure you're right. Good catch!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are probably right about the Str bonus. I don't have my books with me and was quoting from memory. I do remember +4 for Str, but it very well could be +4 to Str score not +4 to damage bonus. In fact, now that I think about it, I'm sure you're right. Good catch!

Here's a question about posting roll results:

We're rolling at invisible castle, and I assume we're posting the rolls in our posts, but how is this done? At the end of the post ala:

Johnny Superhero throws a punch at Franklin the Supervillain. Unfortunately, he remembers (at that very moment) that he left his oven on and so his swing doesn't connect.

-----

(OOC: Rolled a 1)

Or during the battle, such as:

The Archer everybody knows as Bowlegs takes aim and fires (OOC: attack roll - 47). The Bowman extraordinaire easily hits the broadside of the barn!

This may be pedantic, but I kinda think we should make it so everybody knows the process.

EDIT: Also, I'm going to assume that players are in charge of their own notice/search/detect rolls?

We're rolling at invisible castle, and I assume we're posting the rolls in our posts, but how is this done? At the end of the post ala:

Johnny Superhero throws a punch at Franklin the Supervillain. Unfortunately, he remembers (at that very moment) that he left his oven on and so his swing doesn't connect.

-----

The Archer everybody knows as Bowlegs takes aim and fires (OOC: attack roll - 47). The Bowman extraordinaire easily hits the broadside of the barn!

This may be pedantic, but I kinda think we should make it so everybody knows the process.

EDIT: Also, I'm going to assume that players are in charge of their own notice/search/detect rolls?

-----

I like to "include" my rolls this way:

"Barnum took off toward the giant mummy, fists clenched. She took a huge swing at the mummy's head, but her punch went wide."

And yes, in a "player led" thread, it would be wise for players to make as many preemptive rolls as they can. It just makes the Ref's job (if a Ref is needed at all) easier. Of course, contested/opposed rolls will probably need a Ref's help. We'll keep an eye out for such things.

In GM led threads, I say leave it up to the GM.

"Barnum took off toward the giant mummy, fists clenched. She took a huge swing at the mummy's head, but her punch went wide."

And yes, in a "player led" thread, it would be wise for players to make as many preemptive rolls as they can. It just makes the Ref's job (if a Ref is needed at all) easier. Of course, contested/opposed rolls will probably need a Ref's help. We'll keep an eye out for such things.

Good to know, when its time for Velocity to make an attack roll I'll be sure to try to remember to incorporate it that way :)

Good to know, when its time for Velocity to make an attack roll I'll be sure to try to remember to incorporate it that way :)

You and I actually agree on the question at hand; “hovering†is definitely a free, sustained action. But if you’ll read all the IC posts, you’ll see why I ruled the way I did. All I was trying to say was, “What you want to do is a move action and a standard action, and you can’t do both.†I wasn’t trying to comment about hovering in general, though it probably looks like I was. It was, after all, before 7:00 am. :D

The player in question had already “floated back down to the ground†in a previous post, so for him to “go airborne†and attack (thus getting the +1 for favored environment) all while under the effects of suffocate isn’t possible. My point in posting was to tell him that it didn’t matter (this round), he hit either way. It is, however, going to matter in subsequent rounds when/if he fails his Con check and falls from the sky, assuming he does actually decided to “go airborne†again. :D

You and I actually agree on the question at hand; “hovering†is definitely a free, sustained action. But if you’ll read all the IC posts, you’ll see why I ruled the way I did. All I was trying to say was, “What you want to do is a move action and a standard action, and you can’t do both.†I wasn’t trying to comment about hovering in general, though it probably looks like I was. It was, after all, before 7:00 am. :D

The player in question had already “floated back down to the ground†in a previous post, so for him to “go airborne†and attack (thus getting the +1 for favored environment) all while under the effects of suffocate isn’t possible. My point in posting was to tell him that it didn’t matter (this round), he hit either way. It is, however, going to matter in subsequent rounds when/if he fails his Con check and falls from the sky, assuming he does actually decided to “go airborne†again. :D

I am thus assuming that what you are saying is that it has been ruled otherwise for the purposes of this campaign site? ?"

Nope.

Because had you asked . . .

Are the Refs going to approve characters with continuous powers in arrays bought specifically for the purpose of getting the Alternate Power discount and avoiding the obvious Alternate Power drawback?"

. . . the answer would also be no.

BUT, had you asked . . .

Would you allow an existing player to use a Hero Point to create a continuous Alt Power that's effects would remain after switching powers in the array?"

. . . the answer would be yes.

;)

I am thus assuming that what you are saying is that it has been ruled otherwise for the purposes of this campaign site? ?"

Nope.

Because had you asked . . .

Are the Refs going to approve characters with continuous powers in arrays bought specifically for the purpose of getting the Alternate Power discount and avoiding the obvious Alternate Power drawback?"

. . . the answer would also be no.

BUT, had you asked . . .

Would you allow an existing player to use a Hero Point to create a continuous Alt Power that's effects would remain after switching powers in the array?"

. . . the answer would be yes.

;)