Midnight Run

Supercape

GM

"What?" blubbered the free runner, quite surprised his gambit had worked. Or appeared to work. 

"Nobody knows, man. We formed last month. Alongside three other gangs" he frowned, confused. "I...don't understand it, really. Like, its not for money, or even violence. Just thrill seeking. You know, running through the streets. Flush of blood. Pounding Adrenaline. That kind of thing. We run the rooftops. The Beastly Gang howl at the move and lope along on all fours. The Chain Sores whip themselves up into a frenzy. Literally. With chains. And as for the Cheesemakers...."

He shuddered. 

"Hell, lets not even talk about the cheesemakers..." he whispered, disturbed. 

"We bump into each other now and again. Can't say we do much crime. Not serious anyway..." he added, hopefully, handing over a pair of rubies. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He did not reveal anything new. Did he not know, or was he buying time. Perhaps he had some plan, was currently trapping Jann, thinking he would not realize. Or perhaps he did not know. It was hard to tell, he did not appear to be the smartest. He had decided to attack when Jann was in the area.

Jann moved his arm forward, taking hold of the rubies with one quick swipe. He was ready for them to explode right in his face, a real possibility from what he’d been taught. It was how one got out of a situation of captivity, according to some of his instructors. Jann visibly tensed his muscles ever so slightly, staring down the thief.

“More. Information, now. There is more than that, naturally. Any tracks, any whispers. Everything.“

GM

"What?" said the still incredulous freerunner. He began to get his wits together. 

"They all operate in Midtown. At night, mainly. Less chance of being spotted. More chance of getting away. And we like to run the monorail line" he explained, referring to the state of the art line that encircled midtown. 

"Anywhere in there. Everywhere in there. But seems like you got my buddies. You won't be seeing the leap froggers jumping off the line anytime soon" he said, with due and genuine lamentation. 

He got fidgety again. "Its just a thrill ride, you see. We got some dude, like a guru, he encouraged us..." he mumbled, aware of just how thin his explanation was. "And, well, he was right. Never felt so free...." he said, more softly, sadly. He was mourning the excitement. 

Jann started to get frustrated. Getting information was no easy task. Advice of his instructors went through his mind. But no, he had learned what would be the consequences. And with the guardians so close by, it was a risk he was unwilling to take.

All the while, he pocketed the rubies, putting them into one of the many pockets of his pants, one of the few that were functional and had not been torn up during the chase.

He had gained some information. It was enough tracks, and Jann would’ve almost left already, but then the thief mentioned somebody else. One at the center of it all. The biggest prey. Jann did not know the exact connection. He did not need to. It was clear who was intended to be his next target. The one at the center, this “guru”, and then, with him, all those below.

The different ones. Were they connected? All starting at the same time, it was too convenient not to be.

“What is his name? His look? His skills, and many other things?”

GM

"The dude? He...looks like a hippy. Beard, long hair, head band. Mad eyes. Must be a smoker, if you get my drift..." he said, with a grin on his face. He was almost blank with joy a moment, before snapping back, not quite sure what he had been saying. 

"Nobody knows his name, man. His real name, anyway. Calls himself Mister Happy. Deals in fun" he said, without any shame. 

"He never asked anything from us, just...well...inspired us, I guess?" he muttered, a shadow of doubt coming over him. 

"Look, I can try to set you up with the dude. Just can't do it from a police car, you know what I'm saying?"

It was true. The only way the thief could lead Jann towards his target was if he let him escape. Jann hated that he had to do just that, it left his work unfinished. It led to a bigger target, but he still felt a bit torn up about it. He would simply have to come back and deal with this one at a later date.

That he could do.

“Do so. Lead me to him. But do so quickly, I do not entertain waiting. “

He would keep the rubies on him. He did not want to confront the guardians, he would return them directly to Rob once he had the opportunity to do so. For now there were more urgent matters to attend to.

GM

"Gee....I mean...thank!" gulped the Leapfrogger, quite shocked his gambit had paid off. 

"Look, Ill try to set up something next weekend...the Eclipse, same time...." he said, looking furtively around. The cops would surely not be far behind. "Just keep that troll off me, ok? He has a reputation..." he gulped. And in this, he was not wrong. Rob the troll did not want to start a fight, but seemed to thoroughly enjoy himself when he got into one. Relished it, in fact. He was considered "over-enthusiastic" by many. But then, he (And his robust knuckles) had solved many more problems than he had caused. 

"TIme to go" finished the Leap Frogger, and with that, he was off. 

At least till next time...

~ Fin ~