Near Calavera Cantina
1st September 21:00 CDT, 20:00 EDT

Every city had a place like this, a place where people hadn't passed on peaceful and the living feared to tread. Those who knew where to look might be able to find a door to a cantina that served the most exclusive clientele.

One of that clientele walked through the quiet streets of Freedom City, without any fear from the streets she was transversing. To be fair since she'd returned to the city Lucy Harker, who very rarely went by the name Revenant, didn't really fear anything.

In fact, she was pretty excited for the chance to meet up with her friend Nicola that recently moved to another city, and whilst phones were fine it always nice to meet in person. And thanks to both of their unique status they could use this mysterious cantina to meet up easily to catch up on things.

It was raining in Bedlam, because if it was going to be a relatively peaceful night then fate had to make the city miserable in some other fashion.  Thus, rain.

Nicola entered Calavera dripping wet and in a sour mood.  Even a saint would find Bedlam trying, and the vampire was far from that.  Stepping into the Cantina though, she left all of that behind and she visibly perked up since crossing the threshold.

And then mad a beeline straight to the bar.  Meeting a good friend or not, she needed a drink.

GM Post

Lucy was already sat at the bar drink in hand, she'd look completely mortal, if a little pale a condition common to many undead, if not for her coal black eyes that reflected back everything she saw. The eye suggested a very different person from who Lucy had always been, as she got up and hugged the still damp Nichola as if they'd been friends forever.

"I hope you don't mind but I got the first round, a Bathtub Gin for me and a very Bloody Mary for you." she pushed a very generous red drink with that familiar coppery smell.

The Cantina it was rumored could provide any drink you could desire, with various stories of just how they managed the trick, and with many vampires among the undead they had the understanding to serve the one thing every vampire needed. Being Mexican themed many rumors abounded about bloody Aztec rituals new or old, but no one seemed to know either way. The perhaps more sensible pointed out that people had to pay for drinks and pointed out a more mundane way of achieving such things.

What was true that any food and drink served here was just the most amazing flavorsome thing you could ever imagine.

"So hows un-life treating you?"

Nicola took a pull from her drink and shrugged.

"It's been alright," she said.  "Did you know that Freedom City has a Vampire King in it?" she asked, quirking an eyebrow.  "Bit on the heroic type, so a nice change of pace.  Somehow I ended up working for him, in exchange for resources in tracking down the one that made me and... ending him."

A frown flickered on her face before she was all smiles once again.

"Path took me to Bedlam, which is pretty much awful.  But I think I can do some good there.  Or some better, at least."

"What about you?  It's been aaages, and you look gorgeous, as always."

Lucy smiled and gently sipped the drink that could probably strip paint.

"I've known about him for a while, remember I have vampire in my ancestry. We kind of politely ignore the other existence really, though he seems the decent sort. As long as his subject behaves in the West End I leave them alone and concentrate on the bad sort that causes trouble in Freedom. So I guess we're in the same business now!" she gave one of her friendly smiles.

"Things have been quiet lawyer wise so I had my assistant do a little digging for you, Bedlams a nasty little place, and has been since almost back in my day." there was a note of concern in Lucy's voice as she spoke about Bedlam.

• 2 weeks later...

"It is such a mess," she acknowledged with a grin.  "But then I am too, so it's like the city and I were made for each other.  It's a festering pit of dying dreams and I'm a former thief-in-law.  Not to mention what I am now, monstrous parasite and all but there are some good folks in Bedlam."

"And if it is going to take a monster to keep the decent folk safe, then that's what it takes."

The acid bite that usually laced her tone when she talked about what she was was gone from Nicola's voice.  Lucy knew her well enough that the vampire would never like what she was, but at least she had evidently come to accept it.

"Bedlam reminds me of Freedom City back in the '20's, before the Mystery Men and Women started showing up." Lucy thought for a moment before adding "The 1920's obviously, I never thought that I'd live long enough to have to make the distinction!"

Despite her coal black eyes, her face was full of emotion, mostly concerned with how her friend thought of herself.

"I've met vampires who have been inhuman monsters, and you're no monster. What matters at the end of the day is what going on here and here." she pointed to her head the and heart "Sod all that monster I am business, you just have to manage a very special diet."

• 2 months later...

Nicola laughed.

"I'm fine being the monster," the vampire said, grinning.  "But you're right--which I'm sure you're happy that I'm finally listening to you--and I don't need to be so morose about it."

To punctuate her remark she downed her Bloody Mary and, licking her lips, she summoned another one from the barkeep.

"Still going to unmake the one that made us though," she added quietly while she waited for her drink, raising an eyebrow at her sister-in-death.  "Fair?"

Lucy sipped at her Bathtub Gin and little more slowly, savoring the faint taste her dead taste-buds could still detect. From what she could make out it would be an amazingly strong Gin, the type she enjoyed back in the day.

"There are quite a few monsters in my vampire heritage and I've helped a few of them move on myself. Plus a few others in the West End that won't be troubling humanity ever again." she smiled before adding with her normal sincerity

"I know I don't have to say it but when the time comes I will be happy to have you back and help put down the real monster."

• 1 month later...

Nicci's expression remained solemn for a moment and she nodded once.

"I hope to have the same impact in Bedlam," she said.  "There is a small Russian mob presence, lead by someone calling themselves the Red Queen, which honestly I kinda like that name.  But they're not human, not anymore."

She paused to take a sip from her new drink, sighing slightly.  "Once I make some headway though, I'll have to make a report to the King.  So I'll be in town."

"I believe there are a couple of mentions in her somewhere..." she tapped the pile of files she'd gathered for Nicola "Though there seems to a lack of actual hard information about any criminal activity in Bedlam."

She sighed and stared into her drink for a few minutes, before draining the contents and adding.

"If I didn't have so many commitments in Freedom City I'd be right beside you, but you know how it is always so much to do! Good job that I don't sleep or I'd never find the time to have any fun!" Lucy had never been one for long periods of introspection.

• 3 months later...

Nicola snorted.

"Doesn't surprise me," she said, favoring her friend with a wry grin.  "Reports like these one tends to collate from police and judicial records, and Bedlam..." she shrugged a little and made a throwing away motion with her hand.

"Not exactly reliable," she charitably concluded.  They authorities were part of Bedlam's problems she knew, and she was certain Lucy knew that too, which is one of those things that made the city such a tough nut to crack.  But, still, it didn't hurt to be diplomatic, even now.

The vampire leaned back against the bar, looking at her friend over the rim of her glass.  "So.. if you weren't so tied down in Freedom.. road trip?"

Lucy Harker

"The last time I left Freedom City was to visit family, vampire family that is, it did not end particularly well. Reminded me that whilst everyone else changes, it's easy for the likes of us get stuff like amber."

She thought for a few moments as she downed her drink and got a refill, a smile crossing her face. Lucy wasn't going to stagnate like her sisters, for an undead she was too alive for that.

"Erica's ready to take on more responsibility and I've not taken a day off in almost six years. Maybe a road trip is in order?"

• 3 weeks later...

Nicola flashed the barkeep a fanged grin as they refilled her drink, and turned back to Lucy.

"Good!" she declared, raising her drink in mock toast, "Road trip it is."  She took a sip and set the drink aside.

"I mean, sounds like you're seriously due a vacation ... as much as a vacation as taking a trip across country and applying our particular talents actually is."  She shrugged, then quirked an eyebrow at Lucy.  "So who's Erica?  Have I met her?"

• 2 weeks later...

Lucy Harker

"Erica has been working for me for a couple of years, came to help out as a student and has stayed on since. She's a really good lawyer as well, despite working with someone so out of date." she grinned for a moment before becoming a little more serious

"She's had some good offers from really reputable firms, like really ethical ones. Erica's nice to have around but I don't want to hold her back, and even with my own money, I can't pay her what she deserves." the smile came back, Lucy never really struggled to stay positive

"I guess I can say that they grow up so fast!"

• 4 weeks later...

Nicola laughed.

"Some of us never really get a chance to really enjoy youth, you know?" She took a drink from her bloody mary and grinned, "And some of us will get to enjoy it for far longer than we should."  She shrugged and set her glass down.

"I have to say," she said a bit more serious, "It really has been good seeing you again.  It was entirely too long."

• 3 weeks later...

Lucy Harker

Not one to ever hold back her emotions Lucy slid off of her chair and gave her friend a massive hug.

"Us girls have to stick together, which means that you're not getting rid of me that easily." she gave one of her bright smiles before settling down to something more sombre

"And Bedlam seems like a dark place, so I suggest you find something to believe in and hold it as tightly as you can. And they have these mobile phones now so if need my help or heck just a natter, don't hesitate to call. I never sleep so I'm always around when you need me!"

• 1 month later...

"Count on it," Nicola said, smiling.

The vampire stood up from her stool, drained the rest of her drink and then folded Lucy into just as large an embrace as she received not moments before.  She held it for a while, just enjoying the comfort of contact with one of the few people Nicola, in her current unlife, considered more than a friend but family.

She gave Lucy a quick peck on the cheek and stepped back, still smiling.  "I need to head back," she said, thought it sounded like she didn't want to.  "The sooner I knock a few things off the to-do list the sooner we can start that road trip."

Lucy Harker
Lucy stepped through the door and back into the dark alley of Freedom City,  the place somehow knew where you came from and returned you there if you wanted to or not. She wasn't worried about Nicola physically, the woman could look after herself, but a city like Bedlam began to wear on you over time. After all to her, it wasn't so long ago that Freedom City was like that.

Still, she thought with a smile, it wasn't like they couldn't stay in touch even at her age she'd manage to figure out cell phones.

And Calavera Cantina would be there patiently waiting, after all, most of its customers had all the time in the world!