A Peculiar Proposition (Open)

Edward glanced around to see if anyone else was going to answer it, but seeing that each of the others were similarly looking around, decided to take it upon himself to pick up the receiver.

"Ah, hello? This is Prof..." He paused a moment, listening, then replied "Take them for what?"

He covered the mouthpiece then, keeping his hear to the receiver, and spoke to the rest of the magical folks gathered, "He wants to know if we take monsters. Where would we take them?"

Nicole stretched her hands to take the offered fare. "So how do you hover? And your invisibility?"

"Partial detachment with this dimension" as the alien floated gently to the floor, a previously-unnoticed thrumming in the air cut out abruptly. Handing the container of cake to the wheelchair-bound woman, Red Moon lowered her left hand onto the table with the rest of the teas. Then the hand kept going. It passed through soundlessly, leaving no mark or trace of its passage. 

Facing Nicole through the smoke that filled the inside of her helmet, two blue eyes shining through the cloud, Red Moon added "An unfortunate accident. Do not attempt to reverse-engineer cosmitec without following the proper safety procedures. In my youth I failed to heed this wisdom, so I am now confined to this terrasuit."

He covered the mouthpiece then, keeping his hear to the receiver, and spoke to the rest of the magical folks gathered, "He wants to know if we take monsters. Where would we take them?"

"I think we could meet them here. Whatever they may be, they deserve civilized welcome. A chance to make a good first impression."

"I'd take that in mind," said Nicole thoughtfully as she took the cake and wheeled to the table to deposit it beside the tea. To say the newest addition was odd was an understatement, made more pronounced by the mysteriously eerie act and a voice like that of a fairy tale witch. The teenager picked up another cup of tea, stronger than the last, and clearly put out said, "Cosmitech and which safety procedures? Don't assume I understand your methodology, but then most people think I can instantly."

"I'm not the host here." She sipped her tea, sitting back to watch the conversation between the telephone and laboratory guy.

Edited by Zeitgeist Blue

Soon there came a knocking at the door - and the arrival of their friend from the phone. The most normal of the two women was the quiet blonde who stood in back, looking warily around the room as she buried her hands in the pockets of an oversized dark hoodie and jeans. The one in front was the leader, though, and there was something distinctly off about her. The tall, kinky black hair on her head didn't much match her pale skin or big, staring blue eyes - and something seemed off as well about the long limbs on her squat torso as she carefully padded her way into the room. She was wearing a white T-shirt, blue jeans, no shoes or socks - and carrying two supermarket boxes of whole roast chicken. "Hello!" she boomed in not quite the voice from the phone but something that might have been its like. "I am Aquaria Innsmouth! This is my friend Jessie! I heard that you are shamans! I have learned shaman things!" She handed the chickens off to their host. "I brought some meat!" Up close, those attuned to magic could sense magic around Aquaria - a minor disguise spell, and something else, deep and old, like a creature from the depths of the vast ocean. "Is my voice too loud!?" 

Whilst the rest of the room was focused on the antics of Aquaria a less obvious or no less remarkable woman slipped into the gathering. Lucy wasn't technically magical per se, but she figured that being an undead must count in some way. With sunglasses covering her coal black eyes apart from her very pale skin, she looked fairly normal just a well-dressed, if little old fashioned, businesswoman.

She didn't want to cause a fuss, being more interested in what was happing with the other gathered person, watching with some interest the over the top actions of Aquaria.

Professor Peculiar looked quizzically from the phone to the strange shouting woman who just entered, wondering why she asked if they could come if they hadn't intended on waiting for permission anyway. With a shrug that all but verbally said When In Rome... he hung up the phone and smiled at the new visitors.

"Perhaps a bit high on the decibel scale, but who am I to judge? You do you." He bowed with a slight flourish to the three newcomers, and said "Welcome. I am Professor Peculiar, though you may call me Edward if you please." He then proceeded to make introductions among those whose names he knew, with the occasional telepathic reminders from his sentient lab coat, Aero.

"Hello everyone I'm Lucy Harker, some might know me as Revenant." as she spoke Lucy gave a bright friendly smile, before raising her hands slightly and adding

"Now pay me not heed I just thought I'd pop in and say hello, some of you are from around my neighborhood after all."

With her tiny frame and very pale complexion, Lucy didn't really look like much of a threat at all. Unless you knew about just what she could do, especially vampires who didn't treat their food source with the proper respect.

"Okay, nobody is freaking out," said Aquaria, "that is good!" She walked over to one of the chickens on the table and tore off a leg, chewing on it freely as she spoke. Her companion, who was careful to stay to one side of Aquaria and the group, as if ready to either flee or interpose herself between Aquaria and the others. She didn't seem to have much to say. Looking around at the others with big goggling dark eyes, Aquaria croaked, "Jessie and I live in a castle with a ghost, and a woman who can see your soul, and a person made of metal." She took another bite of her chicken leg, chewing on it noisily. "So what kind of shaman chants do you have?" she asked the others curiously. "I learned my disguise chant from my friend I pray with in our castle - she's a witch!"

Professor Peculiar, glad to have an opportunity to discuss his field of inquiry, steps up and begins lecturing. He conjures up illustrations and mathematical equations in the air, describes his undergraduate work in principle theorems, with a focus on divination enchantments. If he's not stopped, he will continue for the better part of an hour, veering off on tangents such as his "amusing anecdote" about how he transposed two constants in Gygax's Formula and ended up causing the entire class to speak in Ancient Mesopotamian for an hour.

Aquaria croaked in fascination as she listened to Peculiar speak, watching him with wide eyes that (despite her human disguise) were oddly reminiscent of the flat, unblinking gaze of a toad or frog. "But those things are not so!" she boomed, gesturing with a chicken bone as she interrupted the Professor's lecture. "The universe swims on the chaos of the One Below, where it is guarded from harm by the might of the gods. The gods of your people too, I am sure," she added with a tone that was friendly, albeit slightly patronizing. "If you listen closely," she added encouragingly, "you can hear their song. But not too closely!" she added quickly, gesturing freely with her hands as she did so. "Or you might go MAD. That happens sometimes." She turned to Lucy and smelled the air. "Are you all right!?" she suddenly asked, sounding very concerned. 

On 8/24/2017 at 8:16 AM, Tipop said:

Edward shook the proffered hand, looking somewhat flustered. He smiled and said, "So sorry... In my world, you're a famous entertainer... legendary, in fact. Very nearly single-handedly popularized rock and roll, I dare say. Quite a good dancer, too."

Edward continued to shake the hand as he went on, "All a matter of parallelism, of course. So many of your world's artists and entertainers are great mathematical theoreticians and scientists of one stripe or another where I'm from."

In his mind, Aero spoke, "You're still talking. Let go of his hand."

Edward looks down at his hands, still pumping up and down, then back to Nick, smiled and said, "I'm going to let go now."

Huh.

"Popularized rock and roll"? That was interesting. Especially given the general scale of history. Please don't tell me I went back in time and pulled a Marty McFly by stealing Chuck Berry's thunder. And maybe I invented, I don't know, "music with rocks in it"...

"I'd be interested in hearing more about how that came to pass. Though, uh, if we want to use names, 'Nick Cimitiere' will do in a pinch."

As the conversation went on, Nick took notice of the other arrivals. He nodded to Revenant and offered a brief wave when she arrived. When Aquaria showed up, he may have look for a bit long, but at least made such not to look for too long. I'd heard of her. Maybe I had a few too many encounters with the weirder end of the pantheon, but she seems... I want to say "okay," but... well, at least she seems pleasant. 

• 2 weeks later...

Lucy gave a little wave to Nick and was making her way over to talk to him when she came within the olfactory range of Aquaria. She stopped and looked at the young woman with a friendly smile, she wasn't bothered in the slightest about such questions.

"You have a very sensitive nose young lady, most people don't even notice, I must say I slightly jealous as I have almost no sense of smell myself. It's because I'm dead, well more correctly un-dead, I hope it's not too unpleasant a smell."

She was genuinely concerned that she wasn’t causing too much distress to Aquaria.