The Room Where It Happens (IC)

Nicola was writing in a notebook when Espy and Anna returned.  Cocking her head to the side she gave Anna a measured look before nodding and setting her pen aside and closing her journal.

"I did not expect you to return," Nicola admitted.  Which was true.  She figured the moment the two of them got out of eye and earshot they'd be long gone.  Not that she wasn't ready to offer them a place to crash; she wouldn't have made the offer otherwise.

"But yes, I have a minute."

"I keep my promises," Anna lied, smiling. "Let's talk." She shot a glance Esperanza's way, took a breath, and spoke as she looked back at Nicola. "If we stay here, you and I ain't...you know, anymore." She colored slightly - but she'd made a promise to Esperanza to have this conversation out in the open, and she knew it would do the girl some good to see a healthy relationship in front of her. Well, sorta healthy. Still, it wasn't like she'd never been in this situation before, minus the part where they were both ladies..."Not if yer puttin' a roof over our heads." There had been times, when she'd been raising Dickie and on her own, that offers of shelter had naturally been offers that expected some reciprocity. But she didn't do that kinda thing no more - no, she wasn't gonna let that kinda thing happen no more. Especially not with a kid around. 

The vampire looked thoughtful for a moment, then shrugged.

"Suit yourself." Nicola had expected this, or something like this at least.  Though she thought it was going to be her that broke things off.  This is a bit of a change, she thought. "Look, it was nice.  But I am a blood drinking monster.  You were going to leave at some point anyway, out of fear or self-preservation."

She flashed Anna a fanged smile.

"Still, you're safe under this roof.  And I respect your decision."