35 posts in this topic

Naomi watched Jann go. She didn’t have anything else to say, and she (due to working with the hearing impaired since before she was a member of that group) was used to silences. She fiddled with her broken pen. It…wasn’t so bad, really. Maybe a little glue. Or maybe one of her classmates could fix it. She supposed she had to say something. Keep the convo going until Jann came back and they could actually leave. Time for something inane! Also a fresh page. [What kind of coffee do you like? I’m going to get the strawberry banana smoothie. It’s very good.] It wasn’t great, but it was something.

She frowned a little bit, as she watched him go.  Not sure how to take him.  "Jann?  That it... he is... hm.  First not human I've met.  Learning experience, just like... totally..."  She frowned more, and looked to her, her eyes narrowed a bit, having noticed the fidgeting with the pen, and then saw that she had written.

"Coffee... probably iced as it's warm enough.  Dunno how strong it is, so we'll see...  But definitely some biscotti."  She held out her hand to Naomi then.  "Here give me the pen.  Can he go out in public in general, or is there, like, an issue?"  She didn't know, and really this entire day had been exhausting, and she was running on fumes, but she still had to pick up the rhythm.  She wanted to make sure that she wasn't sending anyone else tumbling over themselves because she made an outdated pop culture reference.

Naomi shrugged and handed her pen over. She thought about signing. Sure, why not? Though Corinne would probably have no idea what Naomi was saying. <Jann is Jann. I don’t know much about him other than the wings and the weapons, but he’s okay.> While she waited for her pen to be returned, she took her smartphone back out. She never did finish that video. Cute kitties doing cute things. She showed Corinne. <Cute, aren’t they?> She pointed at the kittens to make what she’d signed fairly obvious.

Corinne looked at her, a not vacantly, but it was clear that she didn't know what Naomi was saying, before kittens where shown to her, and she went "Aww."  Corinne liked cute animals.  Percival was a sign of that, though he was a jerk, a cute jerk but still.  "I like kittens, though I have a hedgehog back home, I guess I will be bringing him with me here.  You might like him.  He is adorable, and funny looking."

Taking the pen carefully, she closed her hands around it, and then did her thing.  A glow forming around her hands, as she just sort of... reshaped the pen a bit.  Visualize it as not damaged, and then... voila?  She chewed on her lower lip as she pulled her hands apart, holding the pen in one hand, and then held it back to her.  It was fixed, or at least appeared so, as she proffered it out for Naomi to take 

That was cool. Naomi’s expression said as much without any words necessary. The long beat between her pen being given back and her taking it was also a dead giveaway. Not that she wrote as much, nope. [Thank you, Corinne.] There was still time left before Jann came flying back. [Mom and Dad don’t send enough money for a pet, and they’re not allowed at home anyway. Everyone but me is allergic to one kind or another.] Oh! This was important. Super important. [Do you have a good coat? Living in LA, you can forget other places get cold enough for one. I know I did.]

She saw the expression, and her shy, small smile showed that she was appreciative.  Though what was said was... less sterling?  Well... that's fine, not everyone was very expressive after all, and she imagined that being in that position meant that your communication was more utilitarian than anything.  "Well... you can come pet and feed Percival.  Though he is nocturnal."  She grinned a little bit, rather happy she was able to do something useful and not upsetting to with her powers.  It was a bit draining.  The coffee sounded better.

"Not yet, but I am starting over summer to catch up a bit, so I doubt I will be need a coat yet, but I will get one as soon as possible."  She wasn't sure she needed one anymore.. after the beach incident.  But, she wasn't sure at all truth be told.  Mmm coffee... mmmm biscotti...

Suddenly, Jann landed next to the two girls. Neither of them had heard him approach until his feet touched the ground, he’d just shown up all the sudden. “Have returned, ready to leave.”. A statement which his outfit certainly supported. He was wearing a white tanktop, showing some sort of armor below it. His arms were also covered up, by a layer of darker gray material, it was hard to tell what exactly it was. Naomi had seen the armor before, but the sleeves were new.

Below that, he wore a set of cargo pants. Some of the pockets seemed to be full, and he still had his belt, even if there were no weapons visible this time around. “Too warm for more clothing. “ He’d seemingly also styled his hair-feathers ever so slightly, them looking less messy than before.

Waverider didn’t bother writing. She just turned and started walking with a “come on” wave of her hand. Lunch didn’t last forever, after all. She was leading the way. Didn’t have to look both ways to cross the street, nope! Heck, she could feel the cars from a block away. There was one thing that needed saying, though. [Don’t need a new pen now. This one has been recute-ified.] She flashed a girlish grin, turned and kept walking. Were the other two behind her? Maybe, maybe not. Either way, she had a taste for that smoothie, darn it. She had some money left this month if it came to that.

"Gah!"  She did leap, and for someone of her size it was a bit of a display, as she looked at him, startled and frowning.  She closed her eyes and smoothed her jacket and skirt a bit, "So.... do you always scare people?"  Her tone was light as she tried to make light of the situation.  Or at least try to.  "Can you leave and go to a shop without issue?"

But Naomi was surging a head, and she started to call out after her, "Hey tha... oh, right."  And with that she followed along after the other girl, carrying her long board over using it at the moment, because it would be rude to do to burst ahead like that, and then Naomi kept going forward, and she sighed a little bit, and continued pursuit as this happened.

Jann looked a bit surprised at Corinne’s reaction, waiting for just a second before replying. “Do not intend to, currently, no. It does happen, yes. “

He also turned his attention towards catching up with Naomi, but seemed to just about keep up with Corinne’s pace, as he continued to face her, seemingly uninterested in whatever could be in his way.

“No issues that bear mentioning. The merchants are wary of me, as are other customers. Sometimes they speak. About me, or with me. Sometimes, children point at me. I do not bear them much attention, lest they ask for it. Have spent some time demonstrating…” he spread out his wings to the full length, from close up they looked a fair bit larger than when he’d flown away. “…this. I do not hurry when making my purchases, it does not matter much. “

“Prefer not to be the subject of any photography. Still happens. “