The Greatest Show on Earth (IC)

Coughing and wheezing as he gets up, he bellows "Time to unseat the director! I am not done yet."

Then he sees Hyperactive had snapped out of it. "Back in your body? Good, didn't like the mind control scene anyway. Awful storytelling."

He then swings again, this time hitting home. A hewing swing from the left contacts the director.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The blow struck home - but the Director rolled at the last moment, meaning it only scraped along his face. "So, it's a fight, eh, kinder? Fortunately this body is more than a match for either of the two of you!" He made a reach for the Weekend Man - then suddenly disappeared behind him to strike him from the rear. This blow struck home too as he reappeared in front of his original opponent - though no skin was broken, a cleanly-cut hand-shaped chunk was now missing from the back of the Weekend Man's costume. 

"My mind is the most powerful in the world and this body is one of the best - you have no chance to survive!" The Director taunted. "Flee now, and I'll leave my lab animals to run feral again." 

Hyperactive blitzed forward and sent a hail of fists at the man. He was blind with fury. He didn't usually get mad in a fight. But right now? He was furious. He hated it when someone got in his head and even more so when someone literally messed with his head. 

"Don't think I'm gonna let you get away with that!" He came again and again with a flurry of kicks blind with rage. 

"Fools! I've been fighting you wretched metahumans for sixty years!" This did not seem to match the looks of the comparatively young man fighting them, but he certainly seemed to believe it.

He disappeared and came up behind Hyperactive, reaching out with his left hand this time. Once again he didn't quite make contact - but the missing scrap of fabric on the back of Hyperactive's costume suggested what might happen if the mind-controlling teleporter ever got his actual hands on flesh. This time he didn't disappear by teleporting, instead making an acrobatic leap off the group and landing between the two heroes again.

"The Freedom League couldn't stop me, Vanguard couldn't stop me, my own wretched flesh and blood couldn't stop me! What could you possibly do against me?" 

Hyperactive saw his opening and took it. With a quick roundhouse he lashed out at the Director and caught him in the jaw before taking a quick hook kick the opposite way. He clapped both hands on the director's ears. He turned that into a grab and brought his knee up into the villain's jaw. 

"Good cue!" Hyperactive shouted before darting out of range of another touch attack. He began to make loops around the Director waiting for Weekend Man to give him another opening. He was still furious about the mind control, but he glanced over his shoulder and saw the damage to the suit. "What the heck how did he do that?!" 

Hyperactive's punch actually knocked the Director down. It was the first real punch either of them had landed - and the Director didn't seem to like it one bit. Putting his hand to his face, he stared murderously at them both - before suddenly vanishing again. This time he did not reappear, and for a moment or two the two heroes were alone on the sidewalk. At least until suddenly came the sound of noise and exclamation from nearby houses, people pouring into the street with looks of wide-eyed shock on their faces. From what the heroes could gather, it seemed as though whatever psychic effect the Director had put on the citizens of Marfa had abruptly ended. 

Hyperactive spent the next few minutes dashing around gathering information and comforting the crowd as well. He was a familiar face in most of Texas, and a super was always welcome. At least he had found that to be true. But he was piecing together information on that villain. 

"Good news and bad news." He made his way back to Weekend Man. "When I was a little kid my parents used to tell me about this guy. Well more my parents friends who were other heroes." He said as he looked out at the town. "They would tell me about him when I was little to get me to slow down. 'Don't run off on me or Parker Psion will snatch you up!'" He paused and shuddered. "I mean I used to be terrified of this guy... and now that I've gone toe to toe with him-" a grin spread across his face. "How cool would it be if we got him?" Then faster than anyone could really track. "Actually I'm downright terrified. Let's see if we can't spoil whatever game he has going, but I mean actually beating him may be above what we can do on our own. But we seemed to make him mad which was honestly more than I ever thought I would do to someone like that."

• 2 weeks later...

The subsequent investigation took longer than either man had anticipated at first - but of course it all made sense. Professor Psion hadn't lived so long, and done so much, without a willingness to cut his losses and play the waiting game. It was clear Psion had been active in Texas for at least the last year or so, building his cult in Austin and elsewhere. Dismantling that was going to take a while, but at least the other heroes active in the state were on it. It was a long couple of days. 

It was, of all things, the chastened Presidio County Sheriff's Department that gave them their first major clue - the 'Director' had simply moved into one of the old Victorian mansions in town, ordering the occupants of the place to go visit their cousins in Amarillo for the duration, and once inside the building he'd been careless. He'd used the old landline phones to make a series of telephone calls, most of them to a blocked number in the 213 area code in Los Angeles. That gave them a lead, at least, and they were working on that (Hyperactive's speed powers having made commuting back to Marfa easy enough for both men) when one day Hyperactive's telephone rang. 

"Hey. It's Fast-Forward." 

The Warriors had been instrumental in riding Austin of Parker's cult. It helped that 

Hyperactive answered the phone before the first ring had finished. When he had heard who he was speaking to he cracked a huge smile. 

"Fast Forward, always a pleasure! What can I do for you?" He smiled. "I'm actually..." he paused for a moment still running fast as he left Vegas in the dust. "Well now I'm actually in LA. Working a case, a big one actually." He smiled into the phone. "Could actually use some help, or at least someone who knows this area better than I do."

"Yeah, that's actually why I'm calling." The older man sounded considerably more subdued than he'd been the last time he and Hyperactive had spoken - not upset as such, just reserved. "I've got an expert on your guy who'd like to stage a meeting. I know you're working with a guy on this one, so why don't we all get together? We've got a discreet spot in Bronson Canyon where we can hash out where you are and what the next step is."