The Greatest Show on Earth (IC)

"No being tricked isn't a crime. But bombs and horses come on, there's no getting away from Austin PD on those. Then there's the issue of guys like Breakneck, Spitfire, or any of the other Warriors." Hyperactive sighed. "Wait car! we need to get the guy in the car!" Hyperactive zipped out for the lot to see if the car he had sabotaged was still there. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The guy in the car" briefly tried to defend himself when the superheroes showed up - but wasn't much of a match for Hyperactive or the Weekend Man. "Hey, hey, hey, what's the big idea?" he demanded, pinned against the side of his vehicle. "We're just trying to do a little performance art here, and you thick-headed jerks had to come in and wreck it all." Minus the beret, his man-bun was now visible, along with a too-thick goatee. "The Director's not going like this one bit..." It was, to say the least, not the usual result of a superpowered interrogation - but from the cold, fanatical stare of the minion they were grappling, he wasn't a typical interrogatee. 

"Who do you think you are, anyway, getting in the way of art just because you have superpowers? You're just a bunch of bullying thugs if you ask me!"

"Look I'm inclined to believe you." Hyperactive smiled. "Come on then, if this is all a misunderstanding you won't mind telling us where the cash will go? Or why you didn't notify the police or The Waco Warriors? And yes I'd like to know where the cameras are. Just give us all the details." Hyperactive looked down at the dynamite. "So if this is a movie and you weren't really trying to blow open the vault door, will this not explode if I light it?"

The assistant gave a scornful laugh. "I'm not an Actor, I'm an Assistant Director." He grinned. "The wonderful thing about computers is that these days there are cameras everywhere! In the bank, in cellphones, hidden here and there...and we got it _all_ on disk. You both put on a great performance. Maybe _my_ part in this production is coming to an end, but I can't _wait_ to see what he has planned for you and your little one-horse town next." He laughed, sinister like a bad actor told to play sinister, and then smirked at the two heroes. "You were a nice bonus, Water Man - maybe next time we'll get _all_ the Waco Warriors to show up." 

Hyperactive juggled the dynamite between his hands easily before leaving it hovering in the air. 

"Sorry buddy the other warriors tend to be camera shy." Hyperactive joked humorlessly. There was one really great way to see just how loyal someone was to their cause. Hyperactiv cut most of the fuse away. He let it fall to the ground. "Now I get it. You don't want to give away your boss. But see, how we move from here-" he lit the fuse. "Better talk quick partner." Hyperactive wasn't going to let this guy get well blown to smithereens. He would at the last moment turn them all phasing, but this would be really concerning if this guy let himself get blown to smithereens. 

After some dynamite persuasion from the two heroes, the Assistant Director (whose ID turned out to read "Andrew Drucker") was convinced to tell the heroes where to find his boss. "If you're lucky, maybe he'll make a Very Special Episode out of you," he added with one last sneer as he was taken away. He had not ever actually learned his boss's real name, or at least was able to pretend he didn't under interrogation. 

Unfortunately, it was a bit of a hike to the Director's lair if he was telling the truth. "The Internet is everywhere - he can see everything! And so will you once you meet him." - if the Assistant Director was telling the truth, the Director evidently made his home in Marfa, a full six and a half hours down I-10 from Austin, deep in the desert of West Texas. Recently discovered as a Bohemian retreat, Marfa _did_ have a reputation for artiness and weirdness...

Hyperactive shot a text to the Warriors. 

-Super Villain situation. Digital Media gimmick high risk CivColat.-

It was a high risk of Collateral damage situation, and they wanted to take on the full power of the Warriors. Which meant this was a very cocky, reckless or stupid villain. 

"Ok good news. This isn't T.I.A.M.U.T." Hyperactive looked up from his phone. "And that base isn't too far from here. I can give you a ride there. Little worried that this guy might fling his minions at us mixed in with civilians."

Hyperactive and Weekend Man sped across the streets, byways, and vast open spaces of the great state of Texas until reaching downtown Marfa - nearly missing it, in fact, given that they were going so fast and Marfa was itself a city of less than two thousand people. Marfa was a pretty town, full of art shops and public art, a nice place to visit if you didn't mind being a hundred miles from anywhere in particular. Coming to a stop at the front door of the Presidio County Courthouse gave the heroes their starting point - but also left them with an ominous sight. Clearly visible, thanks to Hyperactive's great speed, was the way the town's few streets were empty save for a few stray dogs and parked cars. 

As soon as the heroes arrived, though, the town seemed to wake up - people walked out of buildings and got into the cars left in the middle of the road, headed down the sidewalk and greeted each other, and a passing police officer outside the courthouse declared "Howdy, y'all! Welcome to Marfa!" It was all very friendly, full of smiling faces and bustling energy, but it was also not at all right.

"Hello." Hyperactive responded. He took a look over the town. Nope this was absolutely like a movie set. And someone called action. 

"So we're looking for a director." Hyperactive told Weekend Man. This was weird. Who was in on this who wasn't. "Think he's using mind control?" Hyperactive asked. Hyperactive hated mind control. He tried to run the Baylor fight song in the back of his mind in case someone tried to listen in. He wasn't sure if it would help, but with how much raw processing power his brain had at super speed. It was viable. 

"Why don't I search the town to see if anything seems really out of place. Cameras, bombs, et certera. Be back." With that Hyperactive was gone, he was moving as fast as he could without jumping into another dimension. 

He came back back to the other hero. After seeing the whole town. It was uneasy.

"ok so first off, cameras everywhere." Hyperactive pointed everywhere. "No bombs either. Which hey an up. And the director has a mansion. Shall we?"

Edited by Kolohehonu

"Yeah we can get to the roof." Hyperactive said as he locked the face shield in place. He began running and with his back draft lifted up the other hero. 

Booking it straight at the mansion he ran he ran up a wall and both of them stopped up on the roof. 

"So what do you think?" Hyperactive asked letting his legs dangle. "Gotta plan Weekend?"

"How many cameras do you think he has in this place? Cause I want to smash them and collect some of his tapes. I also want him mad, and getting rid of footage for one of 'movies' will most certainly irk him a little, if not outright make him hate us. Collecting tapes will also get us proof of what ever schemes he planned on doing, as well as what e did previously." he says at a rapid pace.

"Part of me hopes he isn't what I think he is and is just a villain obsessed with movies and disgruntled at holly wood."

As the heroes made their plans, they noticed the few people on the streets heading inside with a strange sort of unanimity - a quick search revealed the same thing happening across the small town of Marfa. The citizens, it seemed, were not going to be part of this show. Glancing in windows suggested nothing overtly sinister was happening; the locals were making lunch, relaxing with their families, and otherwise doing perfectly normal mid-afternoon things in the summer heat of West Texas. 

But they were all doing the same things - not in perfect lockstep, not like mind-controlled robots, but as if they'd all been given the same instructions. Like actors following the instructions of a director...

Hyperactive was gone for a moment. When he had reappeared he had a half a dozen cameras in hand. He handed them off to the Weekend man before sitting and watching the display. 

"Nope." He declared. "This is weird. Like come on, there aren't this many actors in Texas. Come on. This is mind control and I officially do not like it. I don't like it. Psychics are the one kind of super power that gives me the heebie jeebies. Like come on, not even guys who can pull their own head off are this weird." He shuddered. The thought of someone getting in his head made Hyperactive want to get some tinfoil. "Anyways. Cameras, I assume I did nothing but made the director mad, but what can you do?" 

"Whoever he is, he knows we're here." Hyperactive began to wrack his brain on this guy. Maybe he had heard something. There was a ton of information and well he knew a lot of people. "Maybe we kinda wave them around outside. I'd like him to come meet us outside." 

Hyperactive looked out over the town. Mind control? No he didn't have any way around it. It gave him the heebie jeebies. He didn't even want to think about it. 

"No if it's mind control, resist? And kick the controller in the face." 

"So the direct solution to an intricate problem. Guess waving them around is our best bet. I'll be down there waving the cameras. When he comes out, you drop on top of him and hit him as hard as you can. Hopefully, the shock will knock the mind control down a peg or two."

In a bit of construction, he made a long camera kebab and a water ladder and proceeded to climb down the ladder before waving the line of impaled cameras like a flag. "Hey director, you want some footage of heroes for your movie right? Well, I'm here. Come out and face me!"

"Here I am, boys." 

The Director was suddenly there on the sidewalk before them - a man in his late twenties with a short goatee, old-fashioned suit and tie that belonged to the middle of the last century, and a face that was hauntingly familiar. 

"You didn't want to be part of the show. Disappointing." He stepped forward and was suddenly on the other side, behind both Hyperactive and Weekend Man. "I had hoped I could learn more about the metahumans of Texas before I began my work here, but perhaps you're not as interested in a show as mein kinder in Freedom. Ah well. Zol Sie krenken un gedenken." He turned to Hyperactive and pointed to Weekend Man. 

"Beat him." 

Hyperactive's mask locked into combat mode. Hyperactive darted in at the Weekend Man and lashed out at him with a kick at the inner knee. As he landed he swung with a roundhouse kick to the chest. His hands clapped on Weekend's ears and then he slammed his knee up into the other hero's gut. 

Hyperactive raised his hands up and stood in a fighting stance a few feet from the other hero.

"Ouch, ok mind control. Fun times,"  he said after his gut punch.

"Don't think I can hurt a speedster. But I do have another plan, hit or distract the puppeteer," before going past Hyperactive and going for the director, swinging but missing.

"Hope this breaks it a little. He has to concentrate it looks like."

Hyperactive swung hard again at the weekend man with all the might he could bring to bear. Once, twice, thrice. Just barely missing every time and sending up three plumes of dirt and dust. 

His blows were swinging a little wildly as he looked to beat down on his ally.

Hyperactive was on top of the other hero in a flash. Two quick round house kicks hit the other hero in the chest with a resounding thud before Hyperactive leapt up and drop kicked him. As he landed on the ground it knocked the wind out of him for a speedster moment. 

"Hey Director." Hyperactive rolled back on his hands and then sprung to his feet. "Hope you enjoyed watching in third person. Cause it's about to get first personal." Hyperactive snarled, without his usual charm. If there was one thing he hated it was mind Control.