Media Frenzy

GM

"Holding..." said a polite receptionist. 

"...."

There was a pause. 

"...yes. This is Violet Bloom, Bloom Enterprises" said a voice. It had a kind of cautious steel. An older woman, by guess. Well practised in threats, guile, and bluff. Like a poker player who let nothing out and whose eyes, or in this case ears, absorbed everything in endless calculations. 

"What do you wish to tell me?" came the practised question. Nothing incriminating, nothing let out. An experienced, astute, and smart lady. 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Quiet on the set." Hyperactive whispered as he hushed the phone. He had some good and some bad ideas. This was the best idea he had come up with, but he wasn't too sure how great an idea that made it.

"Job's done!" Chirped Hyperactive. "But see about payment." Hyperactive paused. "There was a complication. There was a hero. A super hero." 

Hyperactive held a finger to his lips for quiet as he flipped the phone to speaker. He turned to Zyte and mouthed: Record this.

GM

"A Superhero...?" came the reply. Hyperactive could almost hear the pause. The sound of mental cogs whirring. 

"Well that is...interesting. Not expected, but not unexpected either" she said, rolling the idea around her mouth and down the speaker. Another pause. 

Zyte gave Hyperactive the thumbs up, and a wink, recording everything. He was good at that. 

"Very well then, meet me on set. With the package" she said, before hanging up abruptly. 

Zyte gave a frown. "Cautious one, isn't she. But you don't get to her position by being a fool" he conceded. "I don't know what that package is...but I know what the set is. She is trying to promote her new film empire. Superworld!, an adventure film series about superheroes. Capes, masks, laser beam eyes. You know the drill...." he said. "What can I say? It's pop culture!"

What to do, what to do? He could show up empty handed. Which would probably be plenty of trouble. He could try waking these guys and asking questions. Might be better. With that he raced off and returned with a bucket and water procured from the nearby pacific. He looked over all three of the thuggish actors, ignoring the kinetic drained one, and chose the one who seemed most likely to rouse from his stupor. 

Hyperactive then proceeded to dump the water on him. As the man spluttered Tyson made sure he was on his side so as not to drown. 

"Ok well I just spoke to your boss. She told me y'all were here for some kind of package. Honestly I'm really sorry, I heard about your situation. But I want to know what is in there that is worth killing for. Getting blacklisted is one thing. Prison? That's a whole different deal." 

GM

"Killing? Killing?" spluttered the stunt man. He was brave, reckless and foolish. Perfect for a stunt man. But even a man with several knocks to his head such as he could see the game was up. 

"We weren't going to kill anyone...we were just supposed to turn up and grab the old man. You know, the one in the wheelchair. And fire some bullets and make everyone scared" he added. 

It was a fair point. Kidnapping a man in a wheelchair from a nursing home hardly required firepower. 

"You know, create some Drama! Like in the movies!" he added. 

He waved at Zyte who was filming everything.

"He...eyyy! This is a film, isn't it? I knew it! She wanted some hot footage!"

"I highly doubt it." Hyperactive replied. He sighed. No he didn't need to stick around with this guy. 

"I'm gonna check out that film set. I guess I can leave these guys with you while I go look into it." He turned speaking collectively. "Unless Zyte you think you can help out talking with the Ice Queen."

GM

Zyte looked thoughtful and awkward. "Talk to her? Yeah, I can do that. But she is fire as much as ice. And she will burn you with both" he said, fidgety. For once, he turned off his camera. 

"Truth is, she has a lot of money and a lot of influence. Make or break you. I tried to court her a few months ago. I am fascinated by capes, cowls, ghosts, aliens, and robots. All the usual spectacle, and all the drama underneath. Turns is she is too. But for me, media is a passion. For her, its a business. Much as I would love her financial and business backing, she didn't take to me, despite my winning personality"

"I wouldn't be surprised if the calculating queen of steel actually stole my ideas. I was pitching some kind of fly on the wall multi-media documentary. Real Superheroes of Hollywood, kind of thing. She probably filed that away for use..." he pondered, looking at the broken glass and bullet cases on the street. 

"Then the two of us should get going." Hyperactive should have time to think of a plan en route. He'd need to think of something to say, this person was good. But they wanted something to do with Parrot. Well, old guy in a wheelchair in a nursing home, coulda been quite a few people, but too be fair only Parrot really met that description here. 

"Zane do you mind waiting for the cops with these guys then I suppose we can meet up somewhere and discuss afterwards." Hyperactive declared. Then he had a thought. "Hey if anyone who seems remotely like a supervillain or henchperson harasses you call me. I'll get there before the police even if you're in the police station." Which honestly depending on the police was a fact. 

GM

A hyperactive moment later...

Studio 17

Mid production of "Amazon Blade of Lust"

It was a cheap film in every sense of the word. Amazons. Blades. Lust. What could go wrong? Throw in some cheap actors, directors, and even cheaper director, and it could hardly make a loss. 

Violet Bloom was hardly paying attention, just shouting down her phone threatening to do something involving golf clubs and not-golf balls to the poor man at the other end of the line. Two amazons walked pass her in armour that was too little and make up that was too much, followed by a man in a cheap rubber dinosaur costume. 

"Lazer Raptors on set! Get me those damn Lazer Raptors!" screamed the director who looked like he had inhaled too much coffee. 

"There she is, in all her glory!" said a slightly dizzy Zyte. Michelle was trying to stand steady and had lost her normal composure. 

Violet, predictably had an entourage. As for herself, she was a short, stout woman with predictably violet hair stacked up in a beehive, and expensive suit, elegant jewels and sunglasses, and a sun-weathered face that could have been anything from 40 to 70. 

"Huh, nope not realistic at all." Smiled Hyperactive retracting his mask as he allowed his compatriots to collect themselves. "I've been to a dimension that could best be described with the words Amazon, Blades, and Lust, and it does not look like this." He laughed. Emily had made him sleep on the couch a solid week after he found his way back to that world. Good times. 

"Hi do you mind telling your boss the people she had called about a package delivery are here. They would really like to speak with her." Hyperactive informed a timid looking entourage member. Then at super speed slipped her ten bucks and a note that read "sorry about earlier go buy yourself coffee or a stiff drink on me." Cause he was fairly certain her day was about to get way worse. 

GM

"What?" snarled Violet, before catching sight of Hyperactive and Zyte. 

She registered Zyte with an arched eyebrow, like he was some kind of curio. A pawn she might use or sacrifice. 

With Hyperactive though, she put her finger to her lips thoughtfully, hey eyes turning to pure calculation. 

"Ah! Now here is a man with a heroic jawline" she smiled, walking over to him and offering her hand. "Hyperactive, I believe. A super hero. A real superhero..."

She traced her hand over an imaginary horizon, with imaginary lights and tinsel. 

"I can see it now...a glittering career in Hollywood! The glitz! The glamour! Films showcasing your amazing abilities and noble character!" she whispered to him. 

"Hey, we can do superspeed on film, right?" she asked, harshly, to one adviser. 

"Sure...yes...we could use one of the latest high-fpm films with a..."

"Ok, you are boring me" she cut him short, before turning her attention to Hyperactive. "The world is your oyster! Do you have an agent?" she asked, with a curt glance at Zyte who looked like he was contemplating jumping in to act in that very role. 

"I do happen to have an agent. Well more a friend who I've agreed gets first scoop you know?" Hyperactive smiled nudging Zyte. Think fast HA think FAST. "Hey so as much as I'd love to maybe talk about you helping us out, we actually spoke on the phone, briefly," he flashed the assembled group a quick smile. Speedster jokes people got an image to uphold. "We should discuss that first. I know you're busy, but hey I do quick work." 

GM

Bloom was a veteran of social warfare and did not give away a fraction of a micro-expression. 

"I can always make time" she said, a completely even, firm voice. 

"Not him though. A parasite on the face of media" she said. 

"Or a face on the parasite of media" quipped Zyte. Even he was nervous around Bloom, though, Hyperactive could tell. 

"Stuff it up your backside, you tepid prune" she snapped back. 

Turning back to Hyperactive, she motioned to an air-conditioned Stretch Limo. 

"Will you step into my office?" she asked, all politeness. "Just the two of us. And maybe the minibar? And no phones or recording devices?"

"I'm happy to discuss earlier conversations, but if you want to make any deals my agent needs to be present." Hyperactive said easily. He liked Zyte, which was exactly why he wasn't about to bring him in. This person could literally be a super villain. Nah any maneuvering she wanted to do would need Zyte present, but talking about crimes? No, that was his domain. "Zyte buddy hold this for me will you?" Hyperactive passed him the work phone he carried. Nothing that could link Tyson Masters to the name of Hyperactive, he was fairly careful of that. But still if the others called for him he wanted to be reachable. "If the rest of the crew calls let me know." 

"Let's talk Ms. Bloom."

GM

"Sure thing, buddy!" said Zyte, skillfully pocketing the phone. Anything media-related was like a musical instrument in the hands of a musical prodigy. 

The Limo was the biggest Limo on the market, or quite probably outside the market too. It had a refined regal purple colour, and everything was of most splendid pedigree. The air con purred almost imperceptibly, and the coolness was most pleasantly palpable relief. 

As far as Hyperactive could tell, they were alone. Bar the min bar. Violet poured herself a vodka. 

"What are you drinking? Beer?" she asked. 

She consulted a little screen by her arm rest. "And no recording devices or transmissions detected. A man of his word" she nodded. 

"And what, my handsome hero, would you like to tell me about our previous conversation?"

"Don't have much to tell you except that now that I've found Parrot most any hero with ties to my Family will want to see him safe." Hyperactive waved away the drinks, suddenly mom's lesson of don't take candy from strangers seemed pertinent. Ironically more so than the time he met Gingerbread Man. "And no thank you on the beer. I'm actually underage. Flattered as I am that you recognize me by sight I'm surprised that didn't come up in any research. Truthfully I am flattered." 

"But I do want to ask, what's Parrot to you? I can't think of a single reason that old man is of interest to anyone living, except maybe my folks." Hyperactive vibrated his hand making it insubstantial and went to just put his pinky through the glass. He might need to make a quick, or at the very least dramatic exit.

"I will take a Dr. Pepper, straight from the can, I have an image to uphold."

Edited by Kolohehonu

GM

"Oh I have done my research" retorted Violet. "I knew as soon as you hit town. Know what you have been up to. Knew where you were going to..."

"I presume Zyte dragged you into this. A talented but vexatious man. He really should work for me. Unfortunately, he is not a team player. A lone wolf. A loose cannon. If I employ someone, they work for me, not for themselves" she said, her voice flecked with anger. 

"I also knew you had found the Parrot. Now it so happens the Parrot is an interesting character. I have no wish to harm him, poor dried up husk of man. He wont exactly shine on the camera. But he does perhaps provide leverage to other avenues"

She poured him the Dr Pepper, nose wrinkling at the thought of it, and went back to her vodka. She was a heavy drinker, it seemed. 

"Now, darling. I am a business woman. No secret I am hard as stone too. Have to be, to make it here. And I have made it. Made a lot of money. Worked for it to. If I have a brusque side, its just so I get things done" she explained, coldly.

"Zyte has one thing right. Superhero movies! The future!"

She leaned forward excitedly. 

"Now I don't want to do it with special FX and half-heroes. Sure, Amazon Blade of Lust will make some money. Our Star, Sugar Foxx, has the chops and her little gift" she said, waving her hand dismissively. "And it will get us halfway up the ladder. But Violet Bloom goes the whole way up, and grasps the stars themselves!" she added, dramatically clutching at an imaginary star-filled sky. 

"What I really need is a full blown Superhero. Like you!"

Hyperactive had been taking in everything this woman had said. As soon as she had finished pouring the Dr. Pepper, he had snatched the can from her. He could move at the speed of light so looking over every inch of the can for any kind of tampering would be not only child's play he could do it a thousand times before a second had even passed. No way was he drinking something from this woman without knowing what he was putting in him. 

"So you don't want Parrot but someone near him. Which I assume means you already asked if you need leverage." Hyperactive said aloud. "Little gift? What's that mean? What kind of gift?" 

"And so far as using me in movies, beside the fact that I make no deals without my agent, I'm busy. Probably why you don't see a lot of real super heroes in fictional film. What's the phrase? Truth is stranger than fiction." 

GM

"Haha! Yes, Sugar Foxx. Some aspiring actress with a knack for regeneration. Great for low budget action flicks. Broken bones, torn arteries, or, in the scene coming up, I believe she is being impaled with a giant sharpened cucumber" she explained, laughing at the prospect. 

"A couple of minutes and she is back on her feet. We are working her up to be a star. Although it is, I admit, a half-baked measure. How I wish she could act" she muttered, drumming her nails on the seat of her chair. 

"So, if you won't play ball....hmmm....I'm disappointed, of course, but it was a long shot. The Parrot, however, is another matter. He is a tool of manipulation in my hands. I need him to persuade his son to be my..ahahaha...employee..." she explained. 

"So where is he? The Parrot? I am sure he can be persuaded to help. He can't like rotting in his own nursing home. It would be doing him a favour really. I can make him comfortable..."

"Employee in which sense? From what I've heard as an actor he's hardly worth hiring. Second hand course, but ya know." Hyperactive sipped his cola. The news that she might have metahumans on her payroll for more than acting was concerning. Especially with what she'd done with a bunch of rogue normals. "Or did you mean like those blacklisted stuntmen? Guys jacked and lemme guess, Meta?"

"I'd be doing my family and mento a grave disservice letting you just take him. I'm sure the Seasonal or the Attometer can provide for him." No way was he handing this man over. Broken as he was the man deserved better than to be Bloom's pawn.

GM

"His son is more than a half rate actor"

Bloom studied Hyperactive carefully. 

"And there are more ways to twist him than the Parrot. Adam Altman is a broken man from a broken father. His mind is gone, quite gone. But if I have my way with him, I can give him want he desires, what everyone desires if they are being truly honest with themselves. Fame! Idolisation! The intoxication of worship!"

"And let me be clear, just as I can rise, I can crush too. If you don't have the Parrot for me, if you don't want a job, then you are of no use to me. But get in my way, and the media world will paint you in a dim and vile light..."

"Not turning down a job, just won't make deals without my agent. And it has to be worth my time and the times of people I'm not saving." Hyperactive felt like he'd been punched in the gut. Yeah she was not someone he wanted to mess with if she wasn't doing something he could prove illegal. "And again, my parents and their people will want to talk to Parrot, if he disappears, well it would be a bit of a crisis." 

"Why doesn't Altman want to work with you? You seem utterly charming." Hyperactive took another gulp of soda. Geeze that woman drank a lot of vodka. Or it was just water and a clever ploy to knock people off balance.

GM

"Crisis?" asked Bloom. "Hmmm...." she wondered. "Things will have to be more subtle then. We don't want a crisis, do we?"

"As for Altmann, I am sure he would love to work for me. But he has been blacklisted, and for good reason. As he is now, unmolded, he is nothing but an deranged mediocre actor with little going for him other than his muscles. Which, in all fairness, are impressive. If he gave up acting and went into body building or athletics as a career he would, no doubt, be extremely successful. But, like so many fools, it is not his hearts desire. His father filled him with notions of golden Hollywood leading men. And that is what he wants, beyond anything..."

She pressed her forehead. 

"As he is, he is of no use. But I have my eye on him for other reasons. He has much potential" she said, before looking up at Hyperactive. 

"Perhaps you should take him to the Parrot then. Carve your own little piece of righteousness, with Zyte on the camera? That was Zyte's plan, yes?"

"We were planning on getting some video with Parrot." Hyperactive said easily. So more along the line of those stunt riders and less of the acting. But hey it seemed like acting would be a perk for the younger Altman. "Why'd he get blacklisted? I'm sure Zyte can tell me if you won't."

"If he wants to work for you why do you need his father? I'm sure you can understand it makes you look... nefarious." Hyperactive said as he rolled the ideas over. What in the world was going on here. There was something nefarious here, but he couldn't tell if it was his problem. He was a super hero, and if there were crimes here, they didn't seem super. Of course if Altman was a meta and about to be used as a weapon, well it might be his problem. "Seems like you don't really need the older gentleman." 

GM

"You are right. Zyte would tell you. It's hardly a secret" replied Violet. 

"Altman Junior makes people nervous. Explosive temper. Zoning out. Cold and blank, or like an infernal stew of fury. You have met him. You must have seen it"

"Unproven charges of violence, battery, harassment on top. Not enough to get him imprisoned, or convicted. Enough that nobody wants him on set. Not even me. Yet..."

"All of this is..well, perhaps not common knowledge. But you don't have to scratch the surface very far to find this out. And Zyte knows most of the workings of this town. Most. More than I would like, to be honest, but fortunately not everything" she smiled enigmatically. 

"As to why I want his father. I would like Altman to work for me, but not as he is now. He needs a push. If I just let him work for me as he is, I am afraid his value is minimal. Man with muscles and C+ in acting. Probably less than minimal given the havoc he would cause on set"

"But I suspect you have meddling on your mind. I hope not, for your sake. But I am a cautious and determined woman. I don't think I should tell you more. Spoilers!" she said, opening the Limosine door and inviting him to leave. 

"I do hope you have a pleasant day. I look forward to seeing what you and Zyte produce from your inteviews with the Altmans! Maybe they will let you in on a secret or two, hmmm?"