The Doctor Is OUT [OOC]

Blarghy

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Blarghy said:

That works!  If anybody wants to go ahead and post, that's fine; otherwise, within a few days when I have more time, I'll do another update and bring all the characters back together in the city proper, so you can share what you've found and plan your next move. 

Works for me. Let's get things done.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm not sure if, strictly by the rules, Miss Grue should be able to let everyone experience what Miracle Girl is seeing and hearing, but I think it makes for a more dramatic scene, so I'll allow it for the moment.  Once combat starts, it's probably a bad idea anyway; I imagine it'd be hard to fight when you're seeing two different sets of perspectives.  In any case, Miracle Girl has sufficient vision and hearing to just scout out the whole city from her current position.  I'm assuming that she's still flying above the rest of the group, rather than actually going into the West End yet (which would risk her being spotted in return). 

IC post is up.  Just to reiterate, there's no sign of the speedster yet.  Also, now I need some rolls from EP.

It's a series of Knowledge checks, but I want you to roll them in order, and you have to succeed to go onto the next one.  Feel free to use a Hero Point for rerolls if you want.  If you fail a check and choose not to reroll or run out of HPs and can't, then stop. 

Terrifica Only

Knowledge (History) DC20:

Spoiler

After just a minute of seeing this underground bunker through Miracle Girl's eyes, Terrifica feels very confident that this is one of the safehouses designed during the late 80s and early 90s by a villain called Mainframe.  He was never too widely known, but Mayor Moore quickly condemned him anyway and had the police pursue him like any other villain (or hero, Moore being Moore).  Mainframe was an early tech-and-hacker villain, even with a few useful gadgets, although he rarely did much villain-ing besides advising other, more dangerous criminals for money.  He mostly wanted to be left alone with his research--hence the bunker's significant defenses--and just wasn't picky about how he accomplished that, or how he earned his funding.

Mainframe was gunned down by police in '91, so he's not a problem, but this all matters because he built his safehouses in a distinct style.  Miracle Girl may only see one entrance, through the row house, but Terrifica strongly suspects that there's another hidden path leading into the bedroom on the lowest floor.  Its other entrance should be at least one block away, but no more than three.  She's betting on the storm drain down the street; there'll be a lever inside it within easy reach, which will make the grate lift up.  From there, it should be a straight shot through the sewers to the back door.

Knowledge (Technology) DC25:

Spoiler

That locked door that Tristan is currently dying against will lead to the control room.  It's heavily reinforced, to the point that even Miracle Girl and Singularity will have to really put their backs into it to get inside, but if she can find a way, then Terrifica knows she can control the bunker's defense systems from there.  Mainframe would've used an earlier operating program, largely of his own design, but Terrifica is goddamn Terrifica, so it shouldn't be a problem.  She'll be able to shut, lock, or unlock all the other vault doors, allowing her to effectively seal off every floor, including the entrance to the row house above.  She can also activate the turrets and pick their targets, if she feels like going to a funeral later.

Knowledge (Behavioral Sciences) DC30:

Spoiler

...Or she would, if the guns were lethal, which they aren't.  Mayor Moore was happy to depict Mainframe as a mad genius with no conscience, and while it's true that he ran with some bad people and didn't use his talents the way he probably should've, he never set out to kill anybody.  His defenses would use rubber bullets--and furthermore, Terrifica calculates a high probability that the code to the control room door is just the inverse of Charles Babbage's birthday.

http://orokos.com/roll/547877 33 for History

http://orokos.com/roll/547879 22 for Technology, so gonna need to HP that. Got three, after all.

http://orokos.com/roll/547880 31, so got it. Next.

http://orokos.com/roll/547881 28 for Behaviorial Sciences. Tch, a bit low but I can't complain about the roll, so I'll leave it. Side note, Blarghy. If you'll permit Terrifica the use of her Gadgets power (didn't have it when the thread started, see) she can hit both failed DCs without using a HP. +4 is useful, but up to you.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm amused by Sea Devil--who I think is the slowest member of the group--arriving behind Miracle Girl, by far the fastest.  :P  No reason to nitpick, though.

Before I update, I want to make sure I have your positions right.  Sea Devil and Miracle Girl are going through the row house, currently on its ground floor, yes?  Terrifica is using the secret sewer entrance.  Miss Grue is outside, flying around the house, right?  Which of her Grue Nature powers is she currently using, by the way?  And where is Singularity going?

Alright, first of all, everyone gets a Hero Point for making it this far, and Sea Devil gets a second HP for that kickass entrance.  :D  More will probably be coming thanks to the civilians you have to contend with, but rather than just giving out a single HP from the start, I think it might work better if I award them each time you have to save one of the scientists from peril or choose to pull your punches because you're just going up against an unlucky kid who made some terrible choices recently. 

Second, let's go ahead and roll Initiative.

Third, EP, roll a very basic DC15 Toughness check against Caleb's Aura (Terrifica has Immunity to environmental cold, as do several of you, I believe, but I don't think anybody's got full Immunity to all cold damage).  The Aura is actually an Explosion rather than a Burst, so it gets weaker the further you are from the source; I doubt we'll be able to keep track of exact distances and positions without a D&D-style miniatures map, so I'll probably just be eyeballing this as we go along. 

And fourth, Tiff, I actually meant your Grue Nature array, which has Insubstantial 4 and Flight 2 as its base power.  I'm going to assume that's the one you're using unless you specify otherwise. 

Once I've got your Initiatives, I'll draw up a a full combat chart and, among other things, list your HP totals and any damage/status effects.  I don't think anybody currently has any, and your Hero Points should just be one above your normal total (two for Sea Devil); I believe that Miss Grue is the only character to spend one so far this game, and she then got it back in Blackstone.  Please do remind me if I'm incorrect. 

You're right, EP; that slipped my mind!  Probably because it's not intuitive to me to remember that, by the strict rules, you can evade temperature.  :P  I'm actually going to quickly add the Alternate Save Extra into my notes and switch it from Reflex to Fortitude, which I think makes more sense.  I don't think it helps Terrifica in this case, though, since even if she succeeds, half of a +0 Damage effect is still +0.  Still, good catch!

And some Initiatives:

Initiative: 1d20+20 24

Initiative: 1d20+1 10

Initiative: 1d20+0 10

I'm not going to roll for Caleb (who's just going to the end of the roster and staying there) or Tristan (who's less of a character than a plot device for this scene).  Speaking of the ice-man, as you can see on the chart below, he's permanently Staggered and takes just a single action per round.  Tristan is, among other things, currently Disabled. 

Name                    HPs    Initiative    Damage        Status Conditions

Julia                   N/A    24            None          None

Miss Grue               2      17            None          None

Terrifica               4      17            Bruise 1      None

Miracle Girl            3      14            None          None

Scientists 1-4          N/A    10            Bruise 1      None

Thug 1 (Marco)          N/A    10            Bruise 1      None

Thug 2 (Anthony)        N/A    10            Bruise 3      Staggered

Thugs 3-5               N/A    10            None          None

Singularity             N/A    9             None          None

Sea Devil               4      8             None          None

Caleb                   N/A    LAST          None          Staggered

I think that, since Miss Grue and Miracle Girl have detected Julia a bit in advance, she'll spend this first round just moving through the West End, giving you a little time to prepare.  Go ahead with your actions; the gangster guards are all Minions, so you can Take 10 against them as usual if you decide to get physical.

Edited by Blarghy

Also a good catch, AA! 

And Tiff, are you asking about where the characters are right now?  Miss Grue is flying somewhere in the air above the house; Miracle Girl, Sea Devil, and Singularity are pretty close together on the ground floor of the house (we'll say they're all in the living room not far from the front door); and down at the bottom of the subterranean bunker (technically below it, right this moment, in the sewers) is Terrifica.  I believe that's what everyone wanted. 

Not exactly; we're just skipping Julia for this round.  Sea Devil and Singularity act after the Minions, but the rest of you are good to go now.

Also, I'll point out that you can all post just to strategize.  Talking's still a free action, and Miss Grue's mental link is a fantastic advantage that I'm not sure you're using to the fullest.  If anyone's not sure of how to best proceed, then by all means, tell your teammates and ask for advice.  I tried to design a complicated situation here because I assumed you'd all be coordinating and working together to overcome it.

Yes, I'm almost helplessly obsessing about RWBY's return later this month, but let's see. I'm gonna go for it. Switch the Gadgets to Immunity (cold/ice; Flaw: Limited [half effect]). It'll take up the whole bloody thing, but eh. And keep moving in. Or are we not strictly on Initiative yet, in which case I can do a bit more.