8 posts in this topic

Claremont Academy Dormitories

April 15, 2017 

Winifred still wasn't used to the literal weight taken off of her shoulders be her recent haircut but after putting it off for so long there was a certain visceral satisfaction in having had the early waist length hair cut back to a tidy pixie cut with razor sharp lines that kept it off of her ears and neck. It had already proven to be more practical in the lab and if she were to allow herself a moment of vanity the displaced Victorian might have gone so far as to say that it combined with the collar of her slate grey dress shirt to make her neck and jawline look fantastic. A scientist had to acknowledge empirical fact after all.

Shifting the strap of the bag slung over her shoulder, she strode down the dormitory hallway with her shoulders squared and her chin tilted slightly upward. It had taken almost half a year of trials and tweaking but the grin threatening to break through her composure came from the feeling of a craftsperson preparing to showcase their efforts. She counted slowly backward from one hundred as she rounded the corner; she wasn't in a position to let excitement or nerves get the better of her. Reaching the door to the room shared by Clouston and Sanderson she gave it a distinctive trio of sharp raps.

Whilst Cathy was very much in love with her girlfriend, she still preferred to have a space of her very own, even if it was one corner of a shared room. And she doubted few would put up with her condition, which was a lot better than when she started Claremont, as well as Raina. You could tell that she was in her room as the area around the room was a wee bit chilly, though not covered in a thin frost as it had when she'd first arrived.

Right now she was sat on her bed catching up on her homework, all her books spread out in a chaotic yet somehow organized manner that only Cathy could really understand. As normally she wore one of her standard knitted jumpers this one white with a giant eye across the middle.

She just happened to glance up at the door so was able to see Fred just before she knocked on the door.

"Looks like we have a visitor."

Raina was lounging on her own bed, reading Cosmopolitan and sharing choice bits of advice with either Cathy or Merlin, it was never exactly clear who. Merlin was ignoring her anyway, deep in whatever unfathomable project he was pursuing on Raina's laptop. A little fireball floated in the air above the bed, acting as a mystical space heater for that half of the room. 

At Cathy's words, Raina raised her head. "Come on in," she called, "if you dare." 

At that dubious invitation Winifred opened the door and stepped inside, quietly closing it behind her and setting her bag down on the desk chair to her right. "Fortunately I've been feeling daring of late," she assured the room's residents with a faint smirk while placing her hands on her hips. The pyromancer had been trying to cajole her into getting a haircut for months, presenting option after option with detailed explanations of the relative benefits or disadvantages of each meant to appeal to the scientist's sensibilities. The pixie cut had been among the most dramatic suggestions and Winifred suspected it had been brought up more to make other styles seem more palatable by comparison. Of course Sanderson had intended to be on hand to supervise when Winifred finally went through with it but the shorter girl had felt it important to exercise a little independence, having been in the present day long enough to acclimate somewhat to current fashions. At least, she hoped so.

Any reaction of surprise from the blonde or her roommate was simply a fringe benefit. "So? Thoughts?"

Cathy was caught a little by surprise by the sudden change in Fred's hairstyle, something you couldn't tell with inferred, and without really thinking said the first thing that came into her head.

"It's, it's very short."

But she recovered fairly quickly as her brain caught up with her mouth.

"It looks really good on you though, I've been thinking about changing my hairstyle as well."

Her hair tending to clump into dreadlocks when she went into ice form, which she though look good, but she'd been unable to get her fine white hair to do it in her "normal" form.

Fred's revelation drew a startled squawk from Raina, her magazine sliding unnoticed off her bunk as she stared. "You got your hair cut!" she announced, very nearly accusingly. "Without telling me or taking me along or anything! What were you thinking?" She sat up and almost bumped her head on her own fireball before Merlin chirruped a sharp warning. Dropping to the floor, she stalked over to get a closer look. "I mean, it looks really good, but you took a big risk there! You know you don't go into a dangerous situation without recon and backup! What if they stylist had been a moron? You could've wound up bald!" 

Winifred turned in slow circle partly to show the back of her hair and partly in a token effort to hide the broad grin brought on by the positive if surprised response. "I have it on good authority that hair does in fact grow back," she countered primly, voice touched by the hum that meant she was feeling particularly pleased with herself. After months of discussing options back and forth she'd been confident enough to explain exactly what she wanted, the bemused stylist answering her battery of questions before they began. She was still happy to go along with the idea that it had been a bold, impetuous risk, however. "Frankly that reaction would have made even baldness worth it, Sanderson. I didn't realize you could make that sound." The displaced Victorian finished her spin and gave the witch an uncharacteristically cheerful smirk. "Thank you, Cathy, I think it turned out well. Not the main reason I came calling, however."

It wasn't that Cathy didn't get fashion, they had entertainment even in the wilds of the Shetland Islands, it was just that practically tended to win out over looking fashionable. So Raina over the top reaction to Fred's potential fashion disaster made her smile, though she mostly managed to hide it behind a convenient cushion she was holding. And Fred was, rightly so, taking up all the attention right now.

"Aye very well indeed. So apart from trying to give Raina a heart attack why have you chosen to visit us?"