'Til The Sun Sets

It was only turning from the chill of winter to the first blush of spring but Leilani was quick to shed any sort of nod to the inclement weather and return to sundresses and sandals. Extra layers really only meant more clothing to go through should some emergency crop up... and it seemed like there was an emergency more often than not. She was hopeful, however, that tonight might prove the exception to the rule. Leilani paused to gather her keys and sandals in hand and confirm with others that called the DuTemps building home that she was out for the evening before she left. One advantage of calling the odd castle on top of a high rise home meant that it was easy to launch herself out a window without anyone blanching at the activity. 

Igniting the air below her feet with a thought, Leilani couldn't help but smile as she rode the heatwave down towards the sidewalk in lazily criss crossing streams that never failed to remind her of lazy waves and sunny afternoons in Hilo. 

Dimitri was there to greet her at ground-level, smiling up like a man watching a angel descend to Earth. "Ah, my lovely fire-flower..." He took her hands for a moment and pecked her on the lips, heedless of the cameras that their mutual presence was rapidly attracting. People knew how many superheroes lived in DuTemps, after all! "Will you come away with me?" he inquired of her, though of course they already had a date. "I have arranged everything so we need not be bothered - the rooftop, the scenery, all is as it should be." He wasn't going to bother driving them on this one - especially not when it meant that Volcanic would be a burning monument to femininity wherever they went. 

Her dismounts were far more practiced than they had once been, so she extended her hands to the Russian as she cut the heat from under her feet and dropped to the ground. She'd have landed without turning an ankle these days if Dimitri hadn't been there to catch her but her smile was fond with memories of learning those skills and for the moment the temperamental elemental ignored curious bystanders. "I've been looking forward to it." She told him. Rather than reach for her sandals or drop his hands, Leilani tipped her head in invitation. 

"Should I give you a lift?" She teased lightly, an offer that she'd have avoided making to many since not everyone was immune to the heat of the flames that she rode. Leilani was well aware that Dimitri had his own methods to get places but his flight made it a little difficult to communicate. 

"I would be honored," said Dimitri as he gave Leilani a courtly bow, stepping up onto the stone platform she provided for him, close enough to bask in her warmth. The usually loquacious thermovore said little as they flew towards their destination, a rooftop he'd reserved for their benefit overlooking that evening's festivities - an outdoor movie in the park. It was a chance to be social without being in his apartment or hers - and without too many prying eyes from the people below. And if it keeps Leilani in her lovely volcanic form - well, such is a blessing! "You need not worry about roof or furniture," he promised her, both the roof and the couch he'd provided covered in a black protective film that Leilani was becoming accustomed to by now, a European-made plastic that could generally stand against Leilani when she wasn't feeling wrathful. "All we need do is enjoy each other's company." 

Leilani's hands were, unsurprisingly, hot to the touch. She did however shake off the obsidian plates once she touched lightly down on the plastic. The flames clung to her hair as she transformed back into flesh and blood as if reluctant to let her go. Absently, she ran a hand through her short, dark hair to put out any lingering fire. "I'm getting better at not burning all the things," she chuckled a bit as she set her sandals off to the side. More and more she rarely wore shoes unless it was necessary. Feeling the vibrations of the ground through her contact with it was becoming as much a part of her senses as sight or smell. 

She turned towards Dimitri with a smile, "But its good not to have to worry overmuch. Its hard to relax and I just... I have to pay attention, yeah? I can't really feel the heat spike up, not like I would have been able to before." Her smile lit her features. "Thank you."

• 2 weeks later...

In the evening, on the rooftop, they had each other's company as the movie played below and it was pleasant enough. Dimitri found himself regretting it all the same, though - what was he to try and engineer situations where Leilani was using her powers? Why would he seek to separate her from the people who were far more like her than he ever would be, even if he happened to be safe from the risk of bursting into flames if her powers went out of control? "If we are going to do this," he finally said, his tone serious and nearly unaccented, "and be more than flirting and kissing after a date like schoolchildren, we need to be honest with each other. I do not know if I am the man for you. I am not suitable in many ways and I have not had a serious relationship with a woman or any other sort of being for...some time. There are many who would serve you better."