Supreme Ultimate Competition: This'll be Terrific

Kolohehonu

GM

GM

Midtown Mall

6:30 pm Friday March 10, 2017

It had been all over the news: a massive fighting competition would be held across the United States, and the prizes were pretty amazing. The eight semi finalists would win ten grand, the four finalists would also get a million dollar car, and the winner? "A prize beyond imagination." It had pulled the attention of martial artists from across the world. Some of the best fighters in the world would be fighting in this. 

Terrifica had started looking into this even before the first brightly colored stall had hit the streets. Millions of dollars did not just appear out of nowhere, yet almost all of this had popped up over night. It was strange to say the least. The maze of shell companies and shadow companies had been no real match to her intellect. Yet, someone saw something.

One day, while out sleuthing into this new competition she found something: a plain envelope with the word Terrifica on the front. Inside it was a square card of Manila color. It had a yellow and green taegeuk symbol on it with the trigrams for fire on the top, water on the bottom, thunder on the left, and mountain on the right. The word "Supreme" was on the top and "Ultimate" was on the bottom. All of which looked fairly standard. What hadn't been standard were the words scribbled on the card: "Want a closer look?" Someone had decided to taunt her. Someone thought they were smarter.

The opposite side had a place and a time.

Friday March 10th, 2017

Midtown Mall

6:45 PM

As a matter of fact, Terrifica did want a closer look. Which was why she was here. In the mall. In full costume. Sitting in the food court, waiting. She supposed she could’ve been more circumspect in her investigation. However the maze of shell companies and shadow corporations appeared to be, at this point, an elaborate distraction from what was really going on. There was likely some truth at the end of the maze (there always was) but for the moment the supergenius preferred a more direct approach. Which was why she’d shifted from subtly nibbling around the edges to presenting herself as a target. Unfortunately, it was entirely possible she’d been drafted into this competition. In fact, this was the most likely scenario for the note.

Terrifica sighed, and took a pull of her raspberry fruit smoothie. It was quite good, and managed to calm her mild irritation at the fact that as usual, a case’s resolution was going to involve lots of punching. She didn’t study and train in several Wushu styles to beat people up, or to defend herself adequately. It wasn’t even about “staying in touch with her heritage”, whatever that meant. It was good exercise, and kept her in touch with the parts of her childhood that occurred before her perfect memory had activated. Those recollections were flawed, but somehow warmer. Certainly warmer than the Carson estate. But that road led to thoughts of Aunt Cassandra, and Terrifica would rather drink bleach than do that. Or, as it happened, raspberry fruit smoothie. It really was a terrific smoothie. She’d have to visit the food court more often.

GM

The screens in the food court had been playing fights from earlier in the day. Though everything here seemed to be on a delay. Around fifteen minutes before the time on the card six drones swept into the area of the mall just outside the food court. They began to do a kind of crowd control, forcing people to clear a space. 

A man in a suit sauntered up to Terrifica with an excessive degree of swagger. His tie was a bright pink and he had a huge smile plastered across his face. His arms swung in an exaggerated manner, and it was a wonder the tablet computer in his hand didn't launch across the mall.

"You must be Terrifica!" He said and almost sang that last word. "Wow you must be audacious" again this word was almost sung. "Drinking something like that before a match?" He shook his head. Perhaps he thought he saw confusion on Terrifica's face. "Oh where are my manners." He giggled. "I'm Mr. Pink, running this match and all. Now Terrifica [again sung] would you like to make use of weapons for this match?" Mr. Pink smiled and held up his tablet as though he would write down Terrifica's response. 

Terrifica had just met Mr. Pink, and already she didn’t like him. She didn’t permit him to interrupt her thought processes. Drones, though…that was interesting. Perhaps these transmissions could be traced. It was easy enough for internet video sources to mask themselves behind proxy servers and bouncing the signal off the multitude of satellites in orbit. However, drones needed to be commanded, and the mall didn’t have its own wireless connection.. She doubted the person or persons behind this event would use direct transmission to issue commands. It would be either a redirected radio signal, or a limited form of AI. Possibility three, annoyingly enough, is that Mr. Pink was mentally controlling them. And that would mean no clues to be gained here.

Terrifica took another pull of her smoothie, brightening her mood, and sighed. She’d have to talk to this…flamboyant person. She took heart, as he could be scarily competent and just a weirdo.“It’s blended fruit, with water and sugar. I don’t think I’m going to get enough exercise to gain a stitch.” She indicated the Terrifi-staff on her belt. “I am armed. With that said, unarmed would probably be safer for both of us, however I’ll go along with whatever my opponent desires.” She waved a hand at the drones. “Are these your drones? They’re quite nice.”

Edited by EternalPhoenix

GM

"Oh These?" He sang at Terrifica. "These are for the competition. Control them via this tablet!" He sang, pointing at the tablet. "We want to make sure everyone can see the matches." He smiled. "Well I assume your opponent will want to use weapons. He's quite nifty with a sword." Mr. Pink said and held his hand like a sword and his tablet like a shield before giggling. "Well we should go get you in the ring! And there's your opponent!" Pink sang and held opponent for a long note, if you could call it that.

The other man who entered into the open space had on a metal breast plate. He had a helmet under his arm and a shield with an eagle on his left arm. There was a hammer strapped to his hip that swung as the man made his entrance. He looked calm and collected as he put on his helmet. 

Terrifica smiled as she stood up and did her best to pretend she was guileless and totally genuine. A woman who never had an ulterior motive in her life. Which would be immensely hilarious to anyone who actually knew her. “That’s fascinating. After the match, if you have the time, could you explain how it works to me? I’m endlessly curious about how other people’s tech functions.” She leaned close to Mr. Pink in conspiratorial fashion. “I’ll even spring for a smoothie like mine. They’re outstanding.” She stood up straight. “Thanks in advance!” She walked quickly over to her opponent. If one didn’t give a person a chance to respond to a request and acted as if there was no reason they wouldn’t agree, people tended to just go along with one for fear of being perceived rude. Human social customs were often completely ridiculous and nonsensical, but that didn’t mean Terrifica was above exploiting them.

She addressed the man she’d be fighting shortly as she took out her Staff and shook into its extended form. “You’re sure you want to do this with weapons? This isn’t by any means an ordinary quarterstaff. I don’t want you to complaining you weren’t warned in advance.” She was purposefully standing just far enough away that a normal speed melee fighter couldn’t reach her with anything without moving first. She hadn’t slipped into a combat stance yet, but every muscle was loose and ready. Working the streets as she did meant one didn’t always have that moment to prepare body and mind. So, she’d taught herself to be prepared at all times, regardless of physical position and mental state.

GM

Terrifica's opponent smiled a little sadly under his helmet. 

"With my father's sword and style I seriously doubt I shall beat you." The man said with a thick Spanish accent. "Without them? I stand no chance. Juan Felipe de Marcos by the way, good luck with the rest of the competition after you beat me. I'm sure I will be too unconscious to wish it to you then.

"Awe Terrifica?" Mr. Pink said. "Rememember this is a martial arts competition." Mr. Pink pouted dramatically. "Emphasis on Martial Arts and Competition. Sportsmanlike conduct [He got quite the high note on "con"] Please. Song says that it'll get more intense later." Mr. Pink waggled his finger. "For now though! POSITIONS!" That last word came as a high vibrato that might have counted as a sonic attack on sheer aggravating value.  

Terrifica raised an eyebrow underneath her mask. She was the very picture of innocence. She had a name for Mr. Pink’s boss. It was something. “Oh? How refreshing. Usually when I’m fighting the opposing side is trying to kill me and I’m trying not to kill them. Being a superhero is such a dangerous business, after all.” She smirked. As much as she was philosophically opposed to violence, there was a part of her that enjoyed hitting people. And if the only immediate stakes in this fight were just pain and unconsciousness, well…maybe she could cut loose a little. Just this once. “Juan Felipe de Marcos, it is a pleasure to meet you.” She bowed respectfully. “My first instructor always said defeat teaches far more than victory. It will be my privilege to grant you those lessons today.” Terrifica knew she wasn’t the best fighter in the world. She had no illusions on that front. Unlike her intellect, she took little pride in martial supremacy. However, humility only meant acknowledging how far one had to go, not how far one had come. And when she was well aware of how far she’d come. “He also said that I was not to forget victory’s lessons either. Even opponents who have proven inferior can teach much about one’s weaknesses.” She slipped into a combat stance, holding her Staff at the ready. “So, what will you teach me today?”

GM

The swordsman drew his blade and as soon as it was in hand he seemed far more confident. This was a man who had trained with this sword for his whole life. 

"In this corner: All the way from Toledo to lead yo to yo doom. Juan Felipe!" Boomed a voice from the drones. "And in the other corner: Some people are good, Some people are great, but only she is TERRIFICA!"

"Ready! 3,2,1 Fight!" Hollered Mr. Pink. 

Edited by Kolohehonu

Terrifica’s mind was far, far faster than most people’s minds. Faster than many computers. What some people didn’t understand about that is it extended to her nervous system as well. Her muscles weren’t any faster than a normal person’s, however she could have an action queued up and ready to go when anyone else was still deciding what to do. She outpaced some of the finest fighters in the world in that department. What all this meant was that she didn’t waste a single solitary instant. The last syllable had barely left Mr. Pink’s lips when Terrifica smashed the forward, upper end of her staff right between Juan’s eyes. Naturally, this both hurt like hell and had a temporary stunning effect. The latter of which was entirely the point, as she flowed sideways and delivered another blow to the base of Juan’s spine.

GM

Juan barely was left standing. He slid in and slammed at Terrifica with his shield dropping into a defensive stance in one smooth motion. His blade too warded him and he set himself for the next attack.

This was a man who knew he was outclassed, but the look in his eye said he was trying to show even a single new trick to the world. 

Terrifica wasn’t surprised, exactly. It was true that she’d dropped a ton of street muscle with just the staff alone, but this man was of a higher quality and armored. So he withstood two hits. How about three? Five? Seven? She was curious, but her training didn’t exactly cover shield bash defense. Stepping aside threw her off balance, just enough for her follow up strike to sail wide aided by said shield. She took a mental step back and decided on a different tactic. She thought she about had Juan’s measure now and while he was good for a civilian, she had him beat to stardust in actual combat.

GM

Juan was a master of his weapons, that much was clear. As With a single motion he swept forward and lunges with his blade. A normal human would probably have taken a blade to the shoulder, but it missed by a hair. 

The spaniard flashed a sad smile as the blow missed and he left himself wide open for but a moment. Then he gritted his teeth and readied himself for the blow.

Terrifica spun gracefully, one foot not budging from its spot, simply twisting in place. Her spin terminated with a ferocious blow across Juan’s shoulder blades. She’d compromised her own defense a bit to get it, but that was all right. The tactic needed the extra power to be deployed, and she wanted to be absolutely certain she’d hit. She spoke to him for the first time since they’d started. Anyone familiar with her would recognize this as odd, since she was usually so chatty. “We don’t have to continue if you don’t want to. I’m sure Mr. Pink recognizes that there is no dishonor in surrendering when you’re clearly outmatched.” Curiosity was all well and good, however she had principles to uphold. A philosophy to live by. And an ideal to strive for.

GM

"Ah it would be a shame to give in without landing but a single blow. Besides I know the lesson of this fight!" Juan replied as he lunged again with speed, striking straight at the opening he saw. It was an elegant fencing strike, and one that would have ended an olympic match. It probably would not do much to Terrifica, but had it been someone stronger or more inclined to kill, it could have been lethal. 

"Do not leave yourself open if your opponent yet stands." 

He couldn’t have known it, but Juan’s angle of attack was perfect. Terrifica’s Nano-Fiber armor was tough stuff, accomplishing with fabric what usually took steel or porcelain. However, it did have its weaknessness. Like any armor, it was weaker around the joints. And at certain precise (to a tenth of a degree) angles, a blade could slip through the fibers as if they were mere ordinary cloth. Terrifica twisted away from the strike, but wasn’t quite quick enough. A shallow cut opened up on her left side. She looked less than pleased, and before Juan’s mind could even process that information, she whipped her staff around and hit him in the side of the head with tremendous force. His helmet flew several feet as Terrifica’s voice dripped with her customary disdain for the less intelligent. “Have it your way.” She set herself to hit him again, harder if possible.

GM

The blow sent Juan spinning and to a knee. His chest heaved before he laid his blade down. 

"I yield. A lesson well learned and taught."

Mr. Pink nodded disdainfully at the man yielding and slowly entered the ring. He took Terrifica's hand and held it up high.

"The Winner is Terrrrrrrrrrrrrrificaaaaaaaaaa!" The speaker's boomed off the drones. The crowds applauded. Juan walked over to his helmet and picked it up. 

"An honor, Terrifica." Smiled Juan. "I look forward to learning from the rest of your fights."

Terrifica freed her hand from Mr. Pink’s as soon as was polite. Being touched by random people was distinctly unpleasant, even if it wasn’t on exposed skin. She bit back a sharp comment, needing to stay on his good side. Instead, she addressed Juan. Her confident smirk was firmly in place. Oh, yes. Terrifica liked winning. “The honor was mutual, Mister de Marcos. I haven’t fought anyone who preferred sword and shield before. We both learned something new.” Her first master’s words were true, as always. “If you want to learn from someone, go to The West End. There’s a hero there named Jack of All Blades. If you find him, he can teach you more about swordsmanship than I ever could.” Her smirk shifted into a wistful smile. “My first instructor was brought to despair by my lack of talent with a blade. And even now I’m far better with my hands or this.” She held up her staff as she flicked the collapsor switch. She replaced it on her belt. “Good luck to you.” She turned to Mr. Pink and smiled innocently. “Now then, I do believe you have a promise to keep, Mister Pink.” This was not the face of a woman who was going to budge on this issue. “Or do I have to get rough with you, too?” It was both a joke and not a joke at the same time.

Edited by EternalPhoenix

GM

Mr. Pink gave his exaggerated pout. 

"Now, now, Terrifica," he sang as he brought the drones over towards him. "There are other matches today, and I have to be at them or Song will have my head!" Mr. Pink made a dramatic gesture at his throat. "But, I promise you can have as good a look at the drones as you like when I bring them in after that fight!" He smiled. He drew a small invitation out.

"Oh!" I almost forgot!" He sang again. "The High Steaks is hosting the Winner party and allowing us to run our command center there. You can come find us after that match."