[IC] Hyperactive? Coffee helps!

olopi

PC

“Ah, you’re a legacy then? Cool. Can’t really imagine how that feels. I’m entirely self-trained, from the disappearing to the giant pillars of fire. Probably would’ve all gone a lot faster with help regardless. But man, the expectations. I think I’m glad I got my powers like this. A lot more chill. Well, not with mine, but you get the idea.”

Bonfire laughed for just a second, before calming down and taking another sip. It was never easy to judge the expression of somebody who didn’t have a face, but his body language suggested that he was relaxed and comfortable, enjoying the downtime.

“Okay, this is probably a question you get asked a lot, so feel free to just ignore it, and sorry about it, but: So, did you get born with your powers? Or did they just show up one day regardless of the whole legacy thing? Of the few I know of, there doesn’t seem to be a real pattern.”

Hyperactive laughed with the jokes as he pulled out his phone. He started showing off the pictures of his family.

"Yeah it was easier. Dad is a flying brick, symbol of hope kind of guy. Mom is a speedster. So I grew up learning every speedster trick she knew." He smiled. "I found with my legacy friend we had our power onset around the same time our parents had. Small sample size though." 

A text message came in from Emily and he closed it. He could deal with that in a second. 

"Yeah my sister and I got our powers at birth. But I only got my physical powers at birth. My brain was not as fast as my muscles. Oh man grade school gym sucked." That and if he was ever running late he had tried running, that had gotten him plenty of black eyes and bloody noses. "I  was being groomed from the day I could walk to take up my grandfather's mantle as the Summer Son. It didn't last."

Hyperactive glanced down down at his phone and sent Emily a text: made a new friend, be home soon. 

"You ever met you from other universes?"

Edited by Kolohehonu

PC

So he was from an entire family of heroes, then. Huh, that probably had its drawbacks. Cass pondered what to say for a second, then replied.

“Ooof, that’s gotta be some responsibility. Being the heir and all. S’far as I’m aware, I’m the only one in my family. “

“Also that stuff with the powers. Mine all came at once, I guess. Unless something still changes, which … I wouldn’t be that surprised at, considering all the stuff I’ve dealt with just this year. The fact I took so much radiation to the face and nothing really changed is still something I’m a bit awry about. I never had to deal with my body not cooperating with my brain. Only my body not cooperating with my powers. “

A short laugh, then he went to explain before anybody could ask any questions.

“Let’s just say it’s still not too big a fan of fire. Now, as for universes…”

“No. And I think I’m fine with it staying that way if possible. I dunno, sounds like something that wouldn’t go well.“

"Yeah it was a lot of pressure. Always having to live up to a hero who was so different from me." He shrugged before putting the plates off to the side in the blink of an eye. "I haven't met any yet, but I'm told he was a good guy, well before he died." 

"New Powers are always great, though it's always satisfying to find you can do something you never thought you could." Hyperactive said. His phone buzzed. Hyperactive glanced down and sighed. "Well Bonfire, I think I have to go home. But we should definitely do this again. Including the stopping a crime part." Hyperactive grinned and extended his hand. "Wait are you gonna need a ride, cause I definitely can do that too."

PC

“Yeah, this was quite fun. You know how to reach me, so if there’s anything, just gimme a call. I’ll do the same should it come up. Except that you’ll probably be there a lot quicker than I will, but ya know, details.”

Bonfire laughed and took Hyperactive’s hand. As far as first contact with other heroes went, this one was pretty good. No accidental fights, no huge ideological arguments, and coffee. Three good things. And from what Bonfire could tell so far, Hyperactive would prove to be a very valuable ally in the future. Having a speedster on call probably was pretty useful, especially with the kinds of situations Cass usually ended up in.

He took one more sip of his frappucino, while looking around the room. “No, I think I’m good. I’ll find my way back home, and  there’s some stuff here and in the area that I’ve been meaning to check out….”

~ Fin ~