The Ultimate Wrestling League - Ideas

I just wanted to open a thread where I can put some ideas for the Ultimate Wrestling guide page.  I know Olopi is helping me set some things up, but here are some ideas that I've come up with about the organization.  If anyone else have ideas for the UWL, please fill free to add to the thread.  I'll link the contents to this first post for quick access.

Content

New Recruits - Group of new wrestlers to join the organization.

Possible categories of matches - Break down of the 12 possible categories of the UWL

Jobbers - List of fighters of inferior skill or power that loses most of their bouts

Notable Figures - List of important people within the organization

The Palace of Practice - training facility

Edited by MBCE

NEW RECRUITS

Ten other new wrestlers joined the UWL with Hammer.  Here is the listing of the eleven recruits

Hammer (PC) - Powerhouse. Style of fighting is mixture of submission holds and power wrestling.

Jesse "The Spur" Cassidy -  a Canadian with the ability to turn into iron (His real name actually was Lawrie Stott, but that didn’t matter). powerhouse type

Sharon "Vixen" Nelson - agile fighter type(?), some experience

The Big Cactus - 7 ft, submission type fighter, Very experienced fighter.  Famous outside of the UWL

Veronica Sellers - shortest member of the recruits [5'5"?], unexperienced

Thomas Barr - lanky, runway model style, unexperienced

The MPs - twin brothers, Mike and Paul.  Heavy set body types, experienced, possible gestalt powers?

-Mike most likely a speedster

-Paul most likely ?

Hannah Taylor - beautiful Scottish red head; Very tall, 7'3" and muscular both of which due to her powers. [growth, enhanced str?] unexperienced;

The Lee brothers - 

-Zayn older experience wrestling in Europe.  Agile style

-Aiden younger unexperience, difficult to focus on [concealment type powers?]

Total Extreme Wrestling uses a system of 12 categories to determine what a product is like. It doesn't work perfectly with the concept of UWL, but as a little excercise for me (and anybody else that wants to have a go at it), I'll just list them:

Traditional - The "old school" mindset of kayfabe good vs evil storytelling in athletically-minded contests.

Mainstream - The idea of "wrestling as entertainment", where matches are practically a backdrop to a soap opera

Comedy - A large dose of humour involved in matches and angles, with an emphasis on having fun.

Cult - A rebel / counter-culture / alternative feel that appeals especially to 18 - 30 males.

Risque - A lot of sexualised content and adult humour in shows

Modern - The more modern style of having matches that are fast-paced and heavy on spectacular, sometimes dangerous, moves. Emphasis on exciting ringwork.

Realism - A "old school" athletic contest mindset; slow matches full of painful-looking holds and stiff strikes.

Hyper Realism - Strong MMA influence, very effective submission holds.

Hardcore - Emphasis on sometimes bloody, but always hard-hitting matches that involve lots of weapons

Lucha Libre - Luca libre style, colourful characters, technical fast paced ringwork, and lots of kayfabe.

Pure - Presented as a real contest, not flashy moves, instead slow methodical ring work

Daredevil - Lots of big jaw dropping moments of super-athletic moves and sequences

Another thing I'd like to throw into the discussion is the gender divide. Is there the more classical women's divison, or is it fully integrated, meaning gender is not taken into account at all? I'm personally a fan of the latter option, but I know it's one of those things that's always debated. (Especially in-universe as it could lead to some marketing problems!)

Now, my personal idea of UWL (which doesn't mean anything just yet, as we're still working this out), would be

Some Traditional

Some Mainstream

Some Comedy

A little Cult

No Risque

Key Focus on Modern

Small amount of Realism and Hyper Realism

Small amount of Hardcore

Some Lucha

No Pure

Key Focus on Daredevil

Which to me would lead to a product with lots of flashy matches and high-octane action, but also engaging storylines behind them. The average match would be one of flashy moves (as you'd expect from superpowers), but occasionally there would be matches appealing to different crowds (like the various hardcore matches, or more MMA-like matches between people with similar powersets).

4 hours ago, KnightDisciple said:

It looks like you guys have cast more than just big, strong types, and included more agile wrestlers.

One key question: Do you have gender-segregated matches (meaning men only wrestle men, women only wrestle women), or do they mix?

I really don't see why there was be gender segregated matches.  We are talking about super powered beings where each person is different.  I would like to see mixed matches as an option.  Everyone would love to see Superman and Wonder Woman in a brawl to see who is the best.

I envision the UWL to being like the Street Fighter games of the early nineties, it doesn'T matter if you're male or female, as long as you're able to fight.

9 hours ago, olopi said:

Now, my personal idea of UWL (which doesn't mean anything just yet, as we're still working this out), would be

Some Traditional

Some Mainstream

Some Comedy

A little Cult

No Risque

Key Focus on Modern

Small amount of Realism and Hyper Realism

Small amount of Hardcore

Some Lucha

No Pure

Key Focus on Daredevil

Which to me would lead to a product with lots of flashy matches and high-octane action, but also engaging storylines behind them. The average match would be one of flashy moves (as you'd expect from superpowers), but occasionally there would be matches appealing to different crowds (like the various hardcore matches, or more MMA-like matches between people with similar powersets).

I'd have to agree for the most part with your thoughts here.  The UWL matches should be filled with a variety of styles to match the very different types of players we have here on the site.

One thing to keep in mind though, whenever discussing the UWL, we must keep in mind that The Circuit-Maximus is also present.  This is the underground fight club that is held to entertain the rich and famous.  For the Circuit, I would expect things to be turned up to eleven!  A more focused look at matches that are filled with brutality.  So for the Circuit, my opinion of the type of matches would be as followed:

Some Modern

Some Hardcore

Small amount of Realism and Hyper-Realism [focusing on the more painful aspects]

Some Daredevil

The Circuit-Maximus would also be a way for characters of the Bedlam setting to have a gritty adventure in Freedom city.  Of course, there is no "drama" or "script" for the Circuit as the fights should seem like a true fight club.

On 12/31/2016 at 5:21 PM, MBCE said:

I really don't see why there was be gender segregated matches.  We are talking about super powered beings where each person is different.  I would like to see mixed matches as an option.  Everyone would love to see Superman and Wonder Woman in a brawl to see who is the best.

I envision the UWL to being like the Street Fighter games of the early nineties, it doesn'T matter if you're male or female, as long as you're able to fight.

That's fine! It's just that a lot of real-world wrestling leagues have gender-segregated matches; the WWE has only had women wrestle men a few times (Chyna was the biggest and most successful example). The closest they get these days is tag-team matches where the guys and gals have to switch out when the other team switches. 

So yeah, was mainly asking to establish things!

Just a note here: if you can, get your hands on a copy of the XWF (Extreme Warfare Federation) sourcebook for White Wolf's Aberrant, a wonderful look at super wrestling. PDFs of it might be out on Drive-Thru RPG. Really gives you the feel of how wrestling and superhero tropes can work together.

EDIT: yep, it is!

Edited by Heritage

Thanks for the resource ideas.  I just picked up the XWF book along with some other wrestling related game books. Luchador: Way of the mask, World Wide Wrestling RPG, and name lists of Luchador names.

Once I get some time to study it I'll be sharing what I learned.

• 2 weeks later...

JOBBERS

A fighter of inferior skill or power who loses the majority of his bouts.

Bastante Venenoso -  a female humanoid reptile with a tail

The Dancer  -  a very large woman in a black wrestling singlet and a pink tutu

The Grappler -  a bare-chested man with four arms

Zima II -  a large man wearing an outlandish red full head mask and matching wrestling singlet

Notable Figures

List of important people within the organization

Hedley "Orangutan" DeShaek: endearingly called the “Orangutan” by both fans and wrestlers. The former wrestler of some fame was UWL’s main booker, he was responsible for everything from storylines to the length of matches.  Often gives tours of facilities to new recruits.

Alejandro  "El Cigüeña Blanca": a tall masked man. His mask covered the upper part of his head, white and black, mimicking the look of feathers. His torso was undressed, while his pants fit the look of his mask. Often in charge of showing new recruits the more active part of being an Ultimate.

Austin "Glacier":  a rather large man, his skin fairly pale.  One of UWL’s top stars. He’d been with the company for almost all of its existence, and was one of their most decorated wrestlers. His powers were based around turning himself into ice, which, contrary to physics perhaps, also made him stronger and tougher.

The Palace of Practice

Training facility of UWL

Description:  The Palace of Practice, UWL’s fabled gym and training area, was quite a sight to behold. While the upper floors of the building belonged to the UWL’s business side, the basement was a large room, spanning the limits of the property the building stood on into all sides, with multiple floors in height. UWL was fairly big and popular, but that didn’t explain how they’d been able to afford something like this. This place truly was the best way to exercise that various internet and industry rumours made it out to be. It accommodated various powers, from weights ranging up to multiple tons in the lowest floor, to a large open area going through all the floors for flying.

FLOORPLAN

Level One: 

-small stage made of various wooden elements that were easy to move

-first level of the gym seemed to be a big central room, with a variety of smaller ones leading off to all sides.

-On a first glance, the equipment was no different than the one in ordinary, mundane fitness centres. A bit of everything. The only thing that stood out was six rings, all quite large (UWL standard, about 50% larger than most used by wrestling promotions), in the middle of it all. 

-various classrooms

- “This is level one. There’s a bit of everything here. Over there’s the classrooms. No worries, you’re not going to school again. But there’s theory, and it’s more comfortable to sit on a chair than the ground. Those are our rings; you know the deal. This is, for the most part, the level for classes. Those of you with little experience will be here a lot, the others too, but not as much. You’re all gonna start here later on today. “

Level Two:

-one room, with what appeared to be a variety of ways to do cardio. A variety of bike machines. A bunch of steppers, quite a few treadmills and some rowing machines. All colour coded, there probably was an explanation to why they all were in differing bright colours.

- “Level Two. The place for cardio! Lots of ways to train here. And if you know of one we don’t have, tell us and we’ll see about adding it in. Now, I see some of you wondering about why all exercise machines are painted. It’s a quick way of identifying what kind of machine it is. Depending on the colour, it’s either close to mundane, or specialized for those with powers that would apply to it. So, I suggest those of you without superspeed don’t go onto any purple treadmills. You’ll get a cheat sheet about what s what once we’re done with the tour, no worries. “

Level Three:

- Steel chairs, Kendo Sticks, Baseball bats and other things were neatly stored away into wall-mounted racks. The middle of the room was made up of two rings, with steel cages set up on them. And along the rest of the room there were other things used in gimmick matches, both more traditional ones and ones (mostly) unique to the UWL.

- “Welcome to most people’s favourite level. Level three, where we train for all sort of non-standard matches. You’ve got everything here, if we don’t use the equipment it wanders down here. It’s both storage and training area, convenient, right? It’s not used as often as other levels, but a lot of Ultimates actually spend their free-time down here, perfecting those blows and throws. If you can’t actually injure your opponent it’s much easier to get them right. “

Level Four:

- a room, about as large as the ones above, split neatly into two sections.

- One section held all the strength exercise machines one could dream of. Once more colour-coded, there was everything from the more classical weights benches to dumbbells the size of truck wheels. There weren’t a lot of them unfortunately, so it would probably get somewhat packed in here when many people were working out.

- The other section contained more rings, like the floors above. They were all pretty close together, with just enough space to walk between them. It seemed to be normal rings, without anything special about them.

- “The final level. Down here you find everything you need to work out if level one isn’t enough. Weights go up to … 5 tons I think? Quite a lot. We don’t have a lot of them, they’re not all that cheap, but there’s usually enough space down here. And over there’s the ring section. You’ll end up spending a lot of time down here, it’s probably the area that gets the most traffic. “