Warp

Curious Key

Katharine Lilly Shade

Gather Info

DC 10: Lilly is a student attending Emerald City university, major undeclared. She is an intern at the local ASTRO labs.

DC 15: She used to live in Illinois, then Freedom City at some sort of prep school, and now here. Her internship job seems to be mostly working as a lab monkey, test subject and assistant to researchers with special needs.  

DC 20: Her actual roll in the lab appears to be more complicated. The financial aid that they provide her is entirely out of line with her internship as described. After a mysterious incident in her hometown, she was moved to a private high school in Freedom, where she continued to live until graduation.

DC 25: As a teenager, on the day of a play she was meant to star in, Katharine went missing. She was discovered far away in Chicago on the day of the play in her bedclothes, terrified. Police suspected kidnapping but the investigation was dropped. Details are classified. After this, she almost immediately moved to Claremont Academy.
DC 30: Katharine Lilly Shade is a registered metahuman.

Warp

Gather Information

DC 10: A young woman clad in red and black calling herself Warp is active nationally. Her powers appear to be entropic in nature . . . But is no newcomer to the hero community, and some seem to regard her as hazard. 

DC 15: Previously active as a teenage superhero around the time of the Day of Wrath, she seems to have a history of trouble keeping her powers stable. Warp is a known teleporter, able to appear and disappear from sight as well as fire entropic bolts and cause enormous objects to vanish into thin air. She operates across the country, particularly in Freedom and Emerald City.

DC 20: When active as a teenage superhero, there was an instance where her powers seemed to go out of control, causing no small amount of property damage. She seemed to have retired then, but has now returned.

Knowledge: Life Sciences

Gaining this information requires an examination and analysis of Warp and her powers.

DC 10: Warp's powers generate energy signatures that appear to be entropic in nature.

DC 20: Warp has a significant t-count, usually present in 'T-babies.' As such, she is a mutant whose powers spring from the Terminus.

DC 25: Warp's body produces energy with her mutant heart. It reacts to Warp's will, waxing and waning at her command and according to her instinct. Its properties can be especially corrosive to the space-time fabric and anything in it, allowing Warp to teleport from place to place or muster corrosive, entropic energy in her attacks.

DC 30: She's still mutating! Her body is rapidly learning to make use of Warp's latent energy, changing, pushing still further away from the baseline that most consider 'human.' This growth happens faster than Warp can adjust, causing her powers to be somewhat temperamental.

Edited by Curious Key

HellQ

Who are you? Sum yourself up in one sentence.

“I'm Katharine Lilly Shade, metahuman, college student, aspiring hero, and I want to go back to bed.”

Do you have any nicknames, street names, titles, or nom de plume?

“Friends call me Kat. Everyone back home calls me Lilly. People who don't know me call me Katharine.”

What is your full birth name?

Katharine Lilly Shade.

Where do you live?

Freedom City.

How old are you? What year were you born (if applicable)?

Twenty. I was born in 1997.

Physical Traits

What is your gender? If not applicable, please explain.

I'm a girl.

How would you describe your heritage?

It's difficult to say in detail, I guess? A couple generations back, my family came over from Europe and didn't keep ties real well. Apparently there's a lot of Irish in there, but it's not really something I've thought about much?

How tall are you?

Five-four. So, pretty short.

What is your body type?

I have what people like to call a gymnast's build, I think? I'm small, without much development in any direction people like to call 'feminine.' If I wasn't as fit as I was, I think scrawny would be a good word. But I am, so I'm not sure what the word would be.

Do you have any particular weaknesses, such as allergies or physical disabilities?

“Nothing like that . . . Unless you count daka crystals, I guess. I'm not sure what's up with them, something to do with my being linked with the Terminus, I think. Holding them can give me a rash, sometimes. Worst was when someone had a knife made out of the stuff . . .”

How do you carry yourself? Are you graceful, or heavy on your feet? Can you be stealthy, do you walk with confidence?

“I'm pretty understated most of the time, nowadays. I'd like to say I can be pretty graceful, though. I haven't spent as much time as I have freerunning for nothing.”

Describe your skin, eye, and hair color.

My skin is fair and freckled. My hair is red. My eyes are . . . Also red, now. Actually. Which is of some concern.

How do you wear your hair, if applicable? Do you have facial hair?

I like it in a ponytail, it's more convenient like that. But it looks more cool when I wear it free, though . . . So really it's just a matter of timing, I suppose.

Do you consider yourself attractive? Do others?

“Nah . . . Though I suppose I did have a few stalkers, when I was trying with the acting troupe. That was . . . Actually rather unsettling. So I suppose there must be something about me that appeals?

“Eh. They were creeps. Who cares.”

Do you have any scars, tattoos, piercings, or birthmarks?

“Nope.”

Do you resemble anyone famous?

“Nah.”

Do you have a dominant hand?

“The right.”

What kind of clothing do you wear?

“Leggings are, let's be clear, a gift from on high. They are super comfortable, and I will wear them whenever the weather is cold enough. Don't care as much about the tops; I wear what I can find that fits. I have some FCU shirts they were giving away for free I put on sometimes, blouses and tees . . . I like to pair them with a vest or jacket or something.”

Do you wear makeup?

“Not much.”

What is your vocal range? Is your voice distinctive in some way?

“Pretty midrange for my gender, I'd say. Maybe slightly higher?”

Do you have any distinctive habits, nervous tics, or mannerisms? Where did they come from, and what causes them? Do other people notice and remark on these habits? Do they annoy you or other people?

“I chew on my lips and fingers sometimes, when I'm nervous. And talk to myself a bit. But I don't think those are too terrible.”

History

Where do you come from?

“Normal, Illinois.”

Have you made any major moves, or do you live in your hometown?

“I moved to Freedom when they discovered I was a metahuman. That's it.”

Do you feel loyal to your country of citizenship? Do you consider yourself patriotic? How do you feel about the government of your country?

“It's got its problems, is all I'll say.”

How do you feel about the place you come from?

“Feels way too small now.”

Where is your home town? What was/is it like?

“In the midwest. It's pretty nor . . . Well, I mean, the bunch of white people who set up their houses and lived there would probably call it normal.”

Growing up, were most of the people you knew similar to you, or were you somehow a minority? How did that affect you?

I mean, I was always a metahuman, but it hadn't really asserted itself? So I guess I was just another of the flock until I ended up in a dumpster one day.

Is there something you've always been really good at or really bad at? How has that affected your life?

“I mean, I was . . . am pretty good at acting? My performance got pretty bad when I fell into my spiral after my powers misfired, and I was worried people would start to notice my red eyes, so I backed out of that. Not . . . Not sure that was the right choice, but it feels like I've kind of locked into it now. I have some regrets.”

Were there any traumatic experiences in your early years (death of a family member, abandonment, orphaned at an early age)?

“I woke up in a dumpster once, after going to sleep in my cushy bed. That count?”

Briefly describe a defining moment in your childhood and how it influenced your life.

“Hm. Day of Wrath, maybe?

“Yeah.

“I was just getting into the hero thing for the first time, and it was turning out pretty okay. Thwarted some small-time villains, teamed up with some other kid heroes at Claremont. All good, right? Then the day of Wrath happened. I fought in it, a bit. Claremont got attacked real bad. People died, or seemed to die? It was . . . Bad. Just bad.

“Thought I could power through it though. That's what heroes do, right? Power through it, and then it gets better. Except . . . It didn't. What Claremont told me later is that, my powers, they . . . react to negative feelings? And I had a lot of them. Caged up real tight. And one day it got to the point where when I tried to use my powers I . . .

“It almost killed me, and it did crack the asphalt across the street, and damage a storefront. No one got hurt, but it was a pretty near thing and I . . . Retired. For forever, I thought.”

What stupid things did you do when you were younger?

“I flushed Lyle's goldfish down a drain once.”

Where did you go to school? How much school did you have, and did you enjoy it?

“I completed high school at Claremont. It was a blast at first, but after . . . Well, then it got depressing.

“I'm still at Uni now.”

Do you have any mementos of your childhood? What are they, and why did you keep them? If you have none, why not?

“Not . . . particularly? I left a lot of my stuff behind at home when I left for Claremont. Nothing dramatic, just not a lot of room to pack, and I didn't know how to use my Pocket yet.”

When did you decide to become a hero? Why? Did anyone influence you one way or another in the decision?

“It was coming to Freedom that did it. Living around all these heroes . . . It becomes hard not to want it, after a while.”

Is the reason you give people for becoming a hero different than your real reason? If so, why?

“I wanted people to like me.”

Do you have any deep, dark secrets in the past that may come back to haunt you?

“Oh everybody knows I almost blew up a street, that's already out there. No point hiding it.”

Do you represent yourself as being different from who you really are? Why?

“I mean . . . Like, listen. I know I'm a bit of a downer sometimes, but, there's a reason I'm still coming out here and doing the hero thing.

“I'm not sure if it's hope, or spite or what . . . But I want to believe there's still a way someone like me can be a hero. I want to believe anyone can, if they just try.”

If you do have these secrets, what do you fear would happen if the truth became known? How far would you go to protect those secrets?

“ . . . ?”

Do you have any sort of criminal record? If so, is it public knowledge?

“No. I mean I might have gotten destruction of property but Freedom is pretty lenient with heroes in this, and I was trying to catch a villain.”

Family

What are your biological parents' names?

“Rose Shade is my mom. Alexander Shade is my dad.”

Were you raised by them? If not, please explain and describe who raised you.

“Yes.”

What was their standing in the community? What did/do they do for a living?

“Pretty well-off, but not exceptionally important. Mom sells insurance, and Dad teaches martial arts.”

Where are your parents now?

“Normal, still.”

Did your family stay in one area or move around a lot?

“Oh they were born there and will probably die there.”

How did you get along with their parents? How do you get along with them now (if applicable).

“Well enough. They help pay for Uni, but we don't have much to talk about anymore.”

How do your parents view you now, or how would they?

“Sometimes, they'll take me aside, and start to say how worried they are, and how they think Freedom has 'changed' me. They were happy when I told them I wanted to retire from hero work, actually. It was Mom that said, 'oh thank God.' They were ready to support me, I think, but they hated what I did.

“They wouldn't like that I've been doing it again.”

Do you have any siblings? If so how many and what are their names? Describe your relationship with them.

“Lyle, my bratty little brother.”

What was your birth order in the family?

“First.”

Where are your siblings now (if applicable)? Do they have families of their own? What do they do?

“Lyle. High school.”

Do you stay in touch with them or have you become estranged?

“I mean, we talk at Christmas and Thanksgiving.”

Do you love or hate one member of the family in particular?

“Nah.”

Is any member of the family special to you in any way (perhaps, as a confidant, mentor, or arch-rival)?

“Nope.”

Are there any black (or white) sheep in the family (including you)? If so, please explain.

“I'm a metahuman, and I stayed out of town. So that would be me.”

Do you have a notorious or celebrated ancestor? If so, please explain, including how it has affected your life.

“Nah.”

Do you have a partner and children currently? If so, please describe them.

“No.”

If you do not have a partner or children, do you want them someday? How firm are you in your opinion on this, and what might change your mind?

“I can barely imagine a future a year from now. That's too far.”

What type of person would be your ideal mate?

“. . . Listen, I don't know. Someone who could put up with me and wants to watch movies while cuddling?

“I don't know.”

Relationships

Do you have any close friends? If so, please describe them, and how you came to be close to them.

“I . . . Hm.

“No. Actually. I don't think I have close friends. Wow, that's sad.

"It's not fair to say I have NO friends. Some people from Claremont, I've kept into contact with. Giang in particular, and I've come to know Mali a little better. But I don't know if I'd call what we have close."

Do you have a best friend? If so, how did they become your best friend? How close are you to your best friend?

“Sad-ass no-friend Kat here to say your question does not apply.”

If you were to go missing, who would worry about you?

“Family, probably.”

Have you lost any loves? If so, how did it happen, and what did you do?

“There was another student at Claremont I had a crush on? But he was already dating someone. So that was the end of it.”

Do you have any bitter enemies? If so, please describe them and their history with you.

“Nope.”

If you have enemies, how do you think they might attempt to work against you in the future?

“Nah.”

What is the worst thing someone has done to you?

“Tried to kill me, probably, but that wasn't personal.”

Where do your loyalties lie? In what order?

“Friends. Me. Freedom. Yes in that order.”

Who or what do you trust the most? Why?

“. . . God, I can't even say family, can I? They don't know I put on the cloak again.”

Who or what do you despise? Why?

“God I wish I had friends, again. I should have trusted them more. I should have let them in. Then maybe I could have stoped my spiral before it started.”

What qualities do you admire most in other people? Are these qualities you possess?

“Openness. Earnestness. Hope.

“I'd like to think I could possess them.”

What qualities do you hate most in other people? Do you have any of those qualities?

“Hate, that's a big one. Sadism. Complicated bit about that is . . . Well, if I want to use my powers, it's not like . . . 'I want to protect my friends' or 'I want to live.' I mean, those are all true, but my powers don't care about that. They won't respond. So, at Claremont.

It's just desires to hurt that it'll respond to. 'I want to destroy that.' 'I want to see her hurt.' Stuff that like. Which is . . . SO messed up. It bothers me so much that I need to do this.

Do you have a secret identity? If so, who knows it? Do you hide it from people who are close to you? Why?

“I do. My family knows about my super identity, but they don't pay attention to freedom, so they haven't got news that I'm out of retirement yet.

(Something to look forward too, I guess)

“At Uni, people don't really know I'm a hero either, and I'm fine with that. I'd rather just fly under the radar.”

Do you work well on teams and in groups? Are you a leader or a follower?

“I remember working pretty well with groups. I'd honestly prefer to fall behind, nowadays. I'd be worried about leading everyone into trouble by accident.”

Are you on a super team? If so, how do you get along with your comrades? Do you trust them, or do you have secrets from them?

“Not yet. That'd be . . . Well that'd be nice, though? I don't know that I'd keep much from them. Back in Claremont, everyone knew each other's normal identity. That would just feel, natural, I think?”

Are you a member of any church, fraternal organization, club, committee, political party, or other group? How much time do you spend on that?

“No.”

Personality & Beliefs

Who are your heroes?

“You should know, in Normal, they didn't actually cover superheroes much. So I'm not super attached to many. But. Um . . .

Harrier, I think. Not as, like, an idol, but . . . Harrier.”

Did you ever become disillusioned with former heroes or idols? If so, why and what were the circumstances?

“Not especially.”

Do you like being a hero? If so, what is the most rewarding part? If not, what makes you keep doing it?

“Yes. The adulation, honestly. That's still there, honestly, but a big part of it is just, proving that I can.

Is there anything that would make you give up hero work, or even switch sides?

“If my powers betrayed me again, and I couldn't find some way to recover . . . that'd be it, wouldn't it?”

What are your short term goals (what would you like to be doing within a year)?

“I'd like to get my name out there. Establish myself as a hero again. Maybe make it so that the first thing people remember isn't an almost-tragedy four years ago.

What are your long term goals (what would you like to be doing twenty years from now)?

“I . . . I can't imagine it, actually. I can't really envision much of a future. I'm sorry.”

What is your greatest fear? Why? What do you do when something triggers this fear?

“I think it's . . . Overloading again, actually. I imagine I'd just stay home a while and call my therapist.”

Is there anything you would give you life for?

“I'm a hero, so I guess we'll find out eventually. Won't we?”

How do you feel about money and material wealth? Do you desire it or disdain it? Are you miserly with what you have, or do you like to share? Is it a mark of success, or a means to an end?

“'Money can't buy happiness' is the mantra of someone who's never had to worry about rent, which sums up my feelings on its well enough.”

How do you generally treat others?

“I try to give people the benefit of the doubt and treat them kindly enough. I'm a bit withdrawn with most people, but that doesn't really have to do with it.”

Are you a trusting person? Has your trust ever been abused?

“I'm not particularly trusting, no. Not because I've been burned or anything, I think? It's just. Kind of easy to open up.”

Are you introverted (shy and withdrawn) or extroverted (outgoing)? Do you have a lot of self-confidence?

“I am more withdrawn, I guess. Shy isn't really the term I'd use to describe it, though. Have you ever lived in fear of something so long, you just got so sick of hiding that you just sauntered out because what else can you even do?

“I'm confident in what I know I can do. Whether that'll be ENOUGH, is another question. But, you gotta try.”

How do you act around attractive, available members of your preferred sex?

“. . . ? I mean, last time I had a crush on someone was high school, but it's been forever since I really liked anyone. I don't know the answer. I suppose I'd probably be awkward?”

What are your most annoying habits?

“I'm a downer a lot of the time. I figure that's probably pretty irritating to people.”

Do you feel contempt for any general category of people? Who are they, and why?

“Hate groups. Just. Hate groups. Any of them. All of them.”

What is your favorite food? Do you prefer any particular type of food? Do you take the time to enjoy your food, or do you eat as fast as you can?

“Pizza, and, generally . . . Food is fuel, right? I don't usually savor it much. Wolf it down.”

What is your favorite drink (alcoholic or otherwise)?

“Grape soda.”

What is your favorite treat (dessert)?

“Chocolate ice cream, with crunched up bits of chocolate cookies mixed in.”

Are there any specific foodstuffs that you find disgusting or refuse to eat?

“Pickles.”

What is your favorite color? Are there any colors you dislike?

“I like red.”

What sort of music do you like? Is there any that you hate?

“I like lots of instrumental stuff. I don't know that I really dislike much music . . .”

If you have a favorite scent, what is it?

“Good food.”

Do you have a favorite animal?

“Cat.”

What is your most treasured possession? Why?

“. . . ?”

Do you enjoy "roughing it", or do you prefer your creature comforts?

“Hey, when you are literally a thought from your bed, you'll find the appeal of 'roughing it' fades real fast. I'm all for exercise, but when that's finished, and a nice bed is a thought away, why wouldn't you?”

Is there a job or a task you would absolutely refuse to do?

“I mean, probably. There's a certain kind of sketchy you just . . . back off from, when you see it. And I kinda need to keep my nose clean.”

Do you consider yourself a spiritual person? If so, how do your beliefs affect your life? How important is it to you?

“No.”

Was your faith influenced or molded by anyone special?

“No.”

If you belong to a religious organization, how often do you attend? Do you have a specific place of worship, or friends within the organization? How much do you agree with the beliefs of your organization?

“No.”

Could you kill? Have you killed?

“. . . Probably. I don't know. It's not something to take lightly, right? I don't want to try to psyche myself up for killer, even if it turns out . . . You know what I mean? But I'd really, really rather not.

“No, I haven't killed anyone.”

What circumstances led to you forming that conviction, or taking that action?

“I don't want to see anyone get hurt. The Day of Wrath got me thinking about stakes, and . . .

Are there circumstances under which you believe it is permissible to kill? What are they?

“I don't know . . . I think there might be. But I don't think . . . I don't think I'd trust myself to know them. I'd rather not think about it too much, honestly.”

How would you react to watching someone kill another person? Would your reaction be different if the killer was a friend or an enemy of yours?

“I'd probably be sick, either way. And . . . Yes. I'd react different. I'm sorry, but that doesn't shame me.”

How would you react if something important was stolen from you?

“Get it back.”

How would you react to public humiliation?

“What do you mean 'would?'

“Good half-and-half chance I'd deserve it. But if I don't, I think I'd try to clear my name.”

How would you react if a good friend or relative were purposely or accidentally killed? Has it happened to you?

“. . . Badly.

It hasn't happened.”

What do you consider to be the worst crime someone could commit and why?

“. . . Hard to pick between slavery and murder, I guess. They're all about stealing people's lives from them, in either case. Maybe murder, because anywhere else, you can still get the life back, technically?”

If your life were to end in 24 hours, what five things would you do in those remaining hours?

“Go somewhere warm with a cup of hot chocolate, I think. Binge something on Netflix.”

Career & Training

Do you have any special training in your hero skills? If so, where and how did you get it?

“Yes, Claremont. They picked me up after I teleported into a dumpster in my sleep.”

Who taught you the most about your heroing abilities? What was your relationship with that person?

“I had a bunch of teachers, I wouldn't pin it down to one particular person.”

Do you have any particularly unusual skills? How did you acquire them?

“I can act pretty well, and I'm a pretty good freerunner. It used to be a hobby in normal, and now it's how I stay in shape.

Do you do something besides hero work for a living? Have you ever done anything else, or do you plan to?

“I'm a college student.”

What is your preferred combat style?

“Up close and personal . . . Or shooting people with bolts. I'm pretty direct, as far as teleporters go.

Have you ever received any awards or honours?

“Not really.”

What skill areas would you like most to improve in? Is there anything you can't do that you wish desperately you could?

“Uh, actually, I think I'm fine.”

How do you act around people who are more skilled than you in areas you'd like to improve? Are you jealous, or do you try and learn?

“I'm not really the jealous type anymore, I think.”

Lifestyle & Hobbies

What is a normal day for you? How do you feel when something interrupts this routine?

“Go to class, study, listen to police reports and patrol. Maybe punch a few baddies or help someone trapped in a car. You know, typical stuff.

“I like routine. Kind of sets me on edge when something throws me off-kilter without my knowing it'll be coming.”

Do you have any hobbies, or interests outside hero work? What are they, and where did you pick them up?

“I exercise by free-running across campus. I climbed into a classroom up a wall, once. Hehe.”

What do you do for fun?

“Rest?”

Do you have a costume? What does it look like?

“As Warp . . . Well, figuring out the outfit has been a little more difficult, now? They make pretty much the whole thing for you when you go to Claremont. It's kind of crazy. I'm kind of lucky they kept resizing the thing as I got older, or I wouldn't have the bodysuit. And I'd be a sitting duck, then.

“But yeah, the bodysuit is the base of the costume. It's all black and covers me from neck to the toe. It fits to the skin but can keep blows off . . . somehow. But that by itself is pretty boring, so I still go with my old red 'Warp' vest, some big red boots and some gloves.”

How do you normally dress when not in costume?

“Like I said, leggings and whatever shirt is comfortable.”

What do you wear to bed most nights?

“Pajamas.

“They have rockets on them.”

Do you wear any special jewelry? What is it, and what does it look like?

“No.”

Do you have a special place where you keep your valuables?

“My Pocket. Like, nowhere is safer than my own dimensional space.”

What's your preferred means of local travel? How about long distance?

“I can teleport around the planet in 10 minutes. How do you think?”

Miscellaneous

Have you ever made a will, or tried to make arrangements for your death? What provisions did you make?

“I have not. I'm a college student, what'll I leave? Ramen and debt?”

If your features were to be destroyed beyond recognition, is there any other way of identifying your body?

“No.”

What would you like to be remembered for after your death?

“How about saving lives?”

Do you believe you pose a threat to the public? Why or why not?

“Yes. I almost detonated in the street, four years ago. I mean, that's a threat. If I'm careful I can avoid falling into that trap again. But it happened. If I mess up, it could happen again.”

What do you perceive as your greatest strength?

“Stubbornness and spite.”

What do you perceive as your greatest weakness?

“Pessimism.”

As a player, if you could, what advice would you give your character? Speak as if he/she were sitting right here in front of you. Use proper tone so they might heed your advice...

“Hang in there, kid.”

Edited by Curious Key

Tyrant Heart

There's no reason to be so nervous, Katharine.”

While, on some level, Kat recognized she was in the best hands Claremont could provide—and therefore the best hands this world had to offer—the rest of her was too aware of the white walls, the stark, sterile smell and the hospital gown that clapped awkwardly short at her sides. Instead, she twined her ankles together, looked away from the doctor and said “'Kay.”

There was no way he didn't sense her discomfort, but he didn't say another thing about it.

“You've been very cooperative,” Dr. Stone said. Kat did not know his full name. His back was turned to her as he rustled through cabinets, looking for . . . something. Her shoulders were broad, his stance tall,and his hair curled into tight dreadlocks that full behind his back. “We're almost done. We just need to nail down all the specifics and make sure we don't miss anything. I'll need to take your t-levels, again, see if it's still within parameters. But that's the last of the tests we'll need to run before I can clear you.”

He turned around, his broad face curled up into a gently smile. “Now, I know you've been worried about this, so I want to make this clear, by my judgment, I think you're fine to operate without any power inhibitors or special monitoring equipment. Your powers are pretty potent, but they're no more difficult to control than most metahumans who come in here, as far as I'm concerned.

Kat wrapped her arms around herself and breathed out in relief. “I'm so glad,” she said.

“Now,” Dr. Stone said, and there was some reproach in his voice. “I want you to know that limiters and controllers are not marks of shame. Metahumans like yourself have very specific needs,” he laid his hands on the table in the center of the room and leaned forward, toward Kat. “You don't need one, and I don't think you ever will, but powers change. You may need one later. As a metahuman, you need to come to terms with this.”

Kat winced. In her mind, she imagined collars, she imagined chains, she imagined bonds. What she said instead was, “yes sir, I understand.”

“Now,” he said. “While we still need to do some lost tests as a formality, we know just about everything we can know about your natural abilities already. Before we move forward, I need to give you a full briefing.”

Kat blinked. Reached up and scratched the back of her head. “I mean . . . What's there to know? I can warp around and shoot things. Right?”

Dr. Stone was already moving, though. He tap-tapped on the corners of his table. Kat heard the sound of computerized clicking and then suddenly the table split in two. Kat started, uncomprehending, at the strange contraption in the table before it sputtered to life, flashing test colors in the air above it as Kat finally recognized it for what it was.

The hologram projector showed a diagram of—Kat tried to figure out what she found so familiar until she realized it was her—a in a green wireframe. Text scrolled more quickly than Kat could follow along the right. “There's actually quite a lot to know,” Dr. Stone said. “Some of this, you're already aware of, but I'll take it from the top to make sure you get the full picture now.”

“People without metahuman powers, we call 'baseline.'” Dr. Stone poked at the scrolling text. It stopped where he touched it, changed, expanded. The spread-eagle Kat switched to a standing position and turned so Kat could see it in profile. “Rather than having traits passed on through genetics, your metahuman abilities were given to you by altering your body through an external source. This is what makes you . . .”

“. . . A mutant,” Kat finished, hand clutching at her wrsit. “From the Terminus.”

Dr. Stone shrugged. “There are many different sources of power that can cause mutations.” He said. “And the Terminus did certainly cause yours yes.”

“I knew this already.” Kat said. She hadn't realized how impatient she was with this place. He just needed to do one last test. Why show her this? Why go into this? Why—

“Many mutations cause drastic changes to the physical body of a metahuman which contribute to metahuman abilities.” Stone said. “Others incorporate themselves subtly into the existing systems of the body, and are harder to nail down.

Kat rolled her eyes. She couldn't help it. Dr. Stone was probably required to read all this to her but that didn't make it any less—

“You, for instance, are in the first category.”

He fiddled more with the hologram, pressing buttons, sliding blocks. The image of Kat's body faded out of sight.

“Wait, hang on.” Kat waved her hands in front of her, then pressed them against her abdomen. “I'm not . . . Like, you can't tell.” She said, and all she could imagine were metahumans with crystal skin, or made perpetually out of rock, or with hair made of actual fire.

Dr. Stone waited, giving her a chance to articulate her confusion. Instead, she let her hands drop and stared, baffled.

“You're right,” he said. “Initially, we assumed you to be part of the second category as well. But our tests gave us conflicting answers, which is why we had to hold you here for so long. Your drastic mutations are internal, rather than external.” Tap. “In particular . . . Your heart.”

The image that flashed up in the empty space where Kat's body used to be looked like a heart. But certainly not a human heart. Its outside looked scaly, sharp, and with every beat there was a faint that pulsed bright. Kat held her hand over her heart. Felt the quickening rhythm of her pulse.

Her heart. Whiteness clawed at the edge of Kat's vision.

“Hello? Kat?” She shook her head and looked at Dr. Stone. “Did you hear what I said?”

“I . . .” Kat looked at what her heart was supposed to be. Shook her head roughly and turned to look at Dr. Stone. “I don't think so, actually.”

“Your metahuman powers actually require an incredible amount of raw entropic energy, physically speaking. Tearing space is not trivial work, so that energy needs to be produced somewhere. That place is here.” He gestured toward the hologram. Diagrams began to open. Kat recognized one noting her ongoing t-levels in a graph. Other factors she didn't understand were laid out in small, fast-moving script. “Your heart provides that. Really, as far as you're concerned, your heart serves as two purposes. In addition to maintaining bloodflow, your heart circulates entropic energy throughout your body for you to use whenever you use your abilities.”

“Your powers seem stable. Safe.” He held up a finger. “There's just one thing I should mention . . .”

“A lot of the raw energy for your power comes from your body. Your vitality. The food you eat. But there's more than we can account for after times when your power sees heavy use. When you warp, tear open a portal, or disintegrate something, your heart seems to convert some small part of what you destroy into its own entropic energy. Day to day, this doesn't mean much to you.

" . . .But be sure to find someone who can help if your powers begin to act erratically. If your numbers keep going up I don't know what will happen.

Edited by Curious Key
  • 5 weeks later...

LEXICON AND GUIDE

~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~

• Important Locations

Emerald City

Her current home, Emerald City is a relatively quiet place compared to Freedom, as far as hero works is concerned, and that suits Warp just fine. It's a little less flashy, and is crawling with neither heroes nor villains in the same way that Freedom is, and which seems mildly embarrassed by the fact that there are heroes patrolling their streets at all. While she makes it a policy to visit Freedom on occasion, she finds herself both more needed and less overstimulated here. 

Emerald City University

The university that she is currently attending, ECU, is a little less extravagant than FCU. But, due to her agreement with the local ASTRO labs, it's the university that she can afford to go to.

ASTRO Labs - Emerald

Lilly's workplace. On paper, she works with ASTRO as an intern doing the gruntest of grunt work. In reality, the labs managed to work out that she and Warp were the same person. She uses her powers to assist them with exotic experiments and follows up on any irregularities that they might notice about the city on their instruments. 

Normal, Illinois
Kat's hometown. A vaguely rural, small, mostly-white settlement in Illinois where superheros are viewed as something that happens to other people. Since her awakening as a mutant, Kat has grown someone distant with her family, who remain unable to comprehend her. The fact that she came from Normal has become something of a shame to Kat, who has since come to view their perspectives as criminally small-minded.

Freedom City
The city of heroes. This is where Kat went to Claremont Academy, made friends with other heroes, learned to control her powers and first put on the mantle of Warp. She remains baffled and bewildered even after five years, the sheer strangeness of the city never failing to put her ill-at-ease. Now that she has come out of heroic retirement she finds herself wondering what a city so full of strangeness, with a hero hidden around every corner, has need of her?

Claremont Academy

Most high schools are forgettable and unremarkable to the students who join them. Claremont academy is something of an exception. Claremont discovered her when she was still grappling with the fact that she was a mutant. This school for mutants, aliens and misfit heroes taught her how to control her abilities and was what first planted the thought of heroism into her head.

Freedom City University

Formerly, Kat was a student of Freedom City University. Startlingly, there is very little remarkable about her schooling there.

• Comrades

People Warp would give her life to protect and who she'd expect to do the same. Comrades are true friends, partners, teammates and sometimes more.

N/A

• Acquaintances

Friends, casual contacts . . . Acquaintances can be anything from irritating coworkers, people that Warp finds pleasant company or heroes that she meets again and again while playing hero. These are acquaintances. 

Echo

Another hero with power over space, Echo helped Warp put an end to Cerberus Rex's rampage a mecha-dino invasion of earth. While eerily similar in their powersets, the two intrepid reality-warpers differ greatly in means and attitude. Whether this dynamic will be friendly or bring them to antagonistic rapport has yet to be seen.

Blue Jay

Antoinette "Tona" Baudin, or 'Blue Jay,' is a survivor from a Terminus-dominated dimension where the world has been overwhelmed and destroyed by the servants of Omega. While aware of one another from their Claremont days, Kat's main contact with her was when she helped put down a robot who was imitating her when it went wild in the city during the Day of Wrath.

Blodeuwedd

A girl from Warp's class in Claremont, Blodwen Jones (At least, that's the name she went by) is a welsh cowl who goes by Blodeuwedd, is an agent working on behalf of an order bent on keeping the magical world under control, using her own trained skills and an assortment of mystical artifacts bequeathed to her. They fought alongside each other during the Day of Wrath.

Tsunami

Giang Trang, Tsunnami, is a water-controlling hero that Warp kept sporadic contact with even after Warp's brief retirement. As a teenager heroine they fought together several times. They remains friends to this day.

Crimson Tiger

Mali Benjawan, the Crimson Tiger, is a martial-arts based heroine based in Freedom City. Kat and Mali were both in Claremont together enough to recognize one another, but not did not truly befriend each other until after they had both left and enrolled in FCU. They have struck a friendship and Kat has made herself available to taxi Mali to any distant place she wishes to go, within reason.

Arcturus

Marcus Irons—or Arcturus—is a magic hero who shapeshifts into a bear. Warp and Arcturus are aware of each other's secret identity, considering they were both students at Claremont. As teen heroes they fought together at least once, marking the first time that Warp found herself facing the mystical threats that face heroes. It is unknown whether they kept in contact after the fact.

Velocity

Warp has had a handful of nontrivial encounters with the speedster Velocity while she was a young heroine at Claremont. They nearly struck up a mentor relationship, but since Warp retired form the hero scene years ago it is uncertain whether they have kept contact. As far as Warp knows neither is aware of each others' secret identity.

Harrier

While neither have managed to do more than sit in relatively awkward silence while the question of the Terminus hangs in teh air between them, the free Omegadrone has made himself avalaible to provide council, should Warp ever need it. She rarely exercises this, but while she panics at the thought of asking for hep, the fact that he has made the offer in the first place is appreciated.

• Enemies

Cerberus Rex

After stopping his invasion of Prime with Echo, Warp personally used her powers to seal the portal shut behind him to prevent further assaults. Whatever becomes of his people, it is unlikely the human-hating raptor will ever forgive Warp for closing a pathway that his people could have used to escape their world's impeding doom.

Edited by Curious Key
  • 10 months later...

Supporting Cast

Aka Her NPCS

~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~

The Shade Family - Lilly's closest relatives by blood, living far away, in Normal Illinois.
Rose Shade - Mom "And Susan says 'why should we pay for them to not afford lunch?' The nerve of that woman!"
Rose is a deeply sincere woman who has never traveled more than a hundred miles from her house in her life. During her and Lyle's school days, she was involved with the local school system, eventually getting a place on the school board. Now that Lilly—and even Lyle—have left home, she's found purpose in becoming more involved with local politics and remains a major player on the local school board.

Alexander Shade - Dad "Hey. Kiddo. Deep breaths, alright? Everything's going to be okay."
Alexander runs a nearby amateur martial arts dojo—it isn't particular prestigious or well-known, but it's the only one in town, which has been the platform that his business has been running on for decades. He is, much to Lilly's chagrin, one of Warp's biggest fans—since Lilly left for Freedom, her Dad has tried to bridge the gap by immersing himself in her limited hero career. This distresses her tremendously, and she cannot make him understand why.

Lyle Shade - Brother "Since when do you care what I have to say?"
Her little brother, Lyle is eighteen years old and putting out applications for local colleges to get into. In the beginning when they were both younger, he thought that Lilly being a superhero was the coolest thing ever. She doesn't know what's happened since then. He's colder now, more distant now. Talking to him feels a little like talking to a wall sometimes, and Lilly's not sure what the cold shoulder is for.

EC University - At University, it was inevitable that Lilly rub shoulders and build bonds with her fellow students and teachers.
Talanya "Tally" Anders - Roommate "You love me."
With her hair styled in a bright green undercut, Tally has dug into and integrated fairly seamlessly into the local scene at the college and the city in general. A real social butterfly, who loves to be out and about. Really, Lilly and Tally ought to get along like a house on fire, but when Tally looks at Lilly, she seems more deeply concerned for and fascinated by this strange, depressing girl from Freedom who vanishes to god-knows-where and shows up again like nothing happened. To Tally, Lilly is an interesting person. How long can her secret identity survive her roommate's scrutiny? 

ASTRO Labs - Emerald - The men and women at ASTRO Labs are Lilly's coworkers and many know her secret.
Alex Corner - Lab Tech "...Okay?"
A flustered man in his early twenties, Alex went to school and joined the labs in Emerald thinking he'd spend most of his time doing experiments and researching things to improve people's lives. He never anticipated working alongside superheroes, and facing the reality of it makes him a stammering and uncertain mess. He's technically her superior, but given how much of Lilly's position is unoffical neither of them sure where they stand on in the hierarchy here. Nevertheless, he's there every day, trying his best! 
Edited by Curious Key