More Bright Lights and Good Cheer

Bonfire looked at the new arrival with some surprise. A life-size talking Gargoyle? One wearing an outfit that seemed somewhat familiar, but he wasn’t sure where to it belonged. He didn’t really know too much about the city’s various costumed organizations, he’d not stumbled across them too much so far.

He sounded as joyful as ever, responding quickly.  “Name’s Bonfire. Nice to meet you, Gargoyle. Quite an interesting look you’ve got, like it. “

And then, the Shrike’s actions caught his attention. It didn’t take a genius to realize why she’d been acting as she’d been the entire evening, so it didn’t come as much of a surprise. Either way, it felt like it was right to at least check. The others were engaged in a conversation right now, so it was the perfect moment to quickly slip out his phone. He had Lynn’s number, so that was the go-to. She probably was here too.

“Hey, is Gretch alright? If you’re here, can you check up on her? Sorry about how this is going.”

And that was that. Best to leave her space for now, Lynn would know what to do. As for Bonfire, he still was part of a conversation! Even if it had gone on without him for a few seconds. Greeting rounds still, so he hadn’t missed much. Casually he took a sip from his drink, trying to look as sophisticated as possible, while waiting for the topic to switch.

Edited by olopi
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Gargoyle had said hi, he was suddenly told hi from all sides, one disappearing afterwards, another seeming to be making the rounds, and finally the smoke guy saying hi, pulling out his phone, and then returning swiftly to the conversation.  "Wow, quite the welcome.  Kinda was worried since I was so new to this heroing thing that you guys may not be so... welcoming."  

When he heard Shrike's response to him, he trilled with some modicum of pride, "Thank you, if you're still here!  You're pretty cool too!"

Then Mike told him about not getting caught by the RA's, "Nah, they've caught me before.  Hard to be sneaky when you look like a giant stone gargoyle come to life.  As long as I have told them about it, they seem to be ok with my nightly outings."

He turned over to Joe, "Yeah, the party seems like tons of fun!  I was just worried about being such a new heroing face here."

Then finally, he turned to Bonfire, "Do you mean the overall body or the uniform?  Personally, I feel like a giant banana in this darn thing, and plus when I go around at night subduing baddies, hard to look intimidating with said banana uniform.  But it's nice to meet all of you too!"

Edited by tv50watcher

The conversation had pushed Rose to the wayside a little, and she was having a hard time keeping up with the comings and goings, trying to remember names and recognise faces. Shrike was having a worse time, having disappeared completely, and Rose briefly contemplated finding her mentally, but decided against it. Interrupting her privacy when she needs it wouldn't exactly help, she thought to herself. She instead looked at the newest arrival, the gargoyle. Or just Gargoyle, as it happened. "It's nice to meet you, Gargoyle! I'm Psy Strike." She extended her hand to be shaken. She mostly wanted to see exactly how strong he was with a body like that. I wonder if he's an actual gargoyle or just a dude who can turn into one. "This party's bringing together loads of interesting people! Is it like this every year? I should've shown up years ago!" She said to the big group that had assembled around her.

Bonfire soon got a series of responses by text from Lynn:

Yeah shes fine, thx for asking

Crowds arent her thing, feel bad i made her come

Ill drop her off at home and tuck her in. Be back shortly

We can always send snarky comments back and forth, the bedrock upon which our relationship is built :P

Not long after, the pixie could be seen returning to the hall, dropping down beside Karla and her family as Grim returned to her full size and elegant gown from earlier in the evening.

"Sorry about that! She'll be happier back at home, I think."

Are you taking with the Amazons again?

Yep!

Ask them what the weather's like up there.

Quiet, you!

Edited by Heritage

Amir came wheeling, braking hard.  His powers allowing him to change trajectory, and almost literally eat the momentum.  Just crapping over Newtonian physics.  He stopped mid-air, and then dropped before Freedom Hall.  He waved to the paparazzi, because they were there, and with a jaunty swagger he walked towards a Christmas Party, adjusting his Santa hat as he did so.  It was a strut.  He was strutting into Freedom Hall.

He couldn't help it.

Once the door close behind him, he boomed, "Merry Christmas!"

Gargoyle turned to Psy Strike shook her hand.  He was unfortunately unused to doing more ordinary things with his gargoyle form and applied what felt like a normal level of strength to him, but to an ordinary person would feel like metal clamps squeezing your hand with a hydraulic press.  "Pleasure to meet you Psy Strike.  How are you this fine night?"

On 12/27/2016 at 1:50 PM, TheAbsurdist said:

Amir came wheeling, braking hard.  His powers allowing him to change trajectory, and almost literally eat the momentum.  Just crapping over Newtonian physics.  He stopped mid-air, and then dropped before Freedom Hall.  He waved to the paparazzi, because they were there, and with a jaunty swagger he walked towards a Christmas Party, adjusting his Santa hat as he did so.  It was a strut.  He was strutting into Freedom Hall.

He couldn't help it.

Once the door close behind him, he boomed, "Merry Christmas!"

Gabriel

"Merry Christmas, Asad! Glad you could make it!"

In a moment that journalists outside likely would somehow regret not capturing on film despite not even observing, Gabriel walked over with a big, beaming smile and offered the physics-defying hero a handshake. It was one of the most photogenic handshakes in the last decade, without the two men even trying. 

"I think you're getting here just as we're getting wound up. Though at least with you here there's someone else who knows the value of good sports."

Asad's face cracked into a big smile, as he took Gabriel's hand and he pulled the man into a rough embrace, his free arm moving around to clap him on the back.  The billionaire was a big, strong man before his powers kicked in.  Of course this was a better photo op, also possibly apt to blind all those around them.  Burn the cameras into dust.

That one scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark.  "Gabriel!" Asad was in full BRIAN BLESSED! mode, with the Santa hat at a jaunty angle.  "Now, now, I was born in New York.  So I like many sports.  Though I am trying to buy some teams, though no one is selling!  I might see about what they have in Emerald City!"  He laughed as he eased back, and shook his head.

Ultimate made her greetings too, a little stiffer and more awkward than most of her peers, but far from the bluntly forward young woman she'd been when she and Corbin had first begun dating. She did seem concerned about something, though, and after a few minutes of idle conversation pulled Corbin aside. 

"Corbin Hughes," she whispered in his ear from a corner, neither of them immediately noticing that Lynn were close enough to overhear. "Someone is pregnant at this party! I can sense the nascent life force - much stronger than a typical human pregnancy. What is the etiquette?" The last, at least, was not an uncommon question from her. 

"Ah, you're at Claremont!" Mark lit up at the sight of Gargoyle - the world-famous young UN agent immediately recognizable once John remembered all those tedious lectures about what heroes could accomplish if they applied themselves. "Nice to meet you!" He shook the younger man's hand. "Mark Lucas - I still go by Edge sometimes. My fiancee Nina is around here somewhere..." He looked around and shrugged. "Welcome to the grownup party! It's not that exciting, but we try and make it fun. Tell me about yourself." 

9 hours ago, TheAbsurdist said:

Asad's face cracked into a big smile, as he took Gabriel's hand and he pulled the man into a rough embrace, his free arm moving around to clap him on the back.  The billionaire was a big, strong man before his powers kicked in.  Of course this was a better photo op, also possibly apt to blind all those around them.  Burn the cameras into dust.

That one scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark.  "Gabriel!" Asad was in full BRIAN BLESSED! mode, with the Santa hat at a jaunty angle.  "Now, now, I was born in New York.  So I like many sports.  Though I am trying to buy some teams, though no one is selling!  I might see about what they have in Emerald City!"  He laughed as he eased back, and shook his head.

Gabriel

The fact that Gabriel's outfit pretty much always caught the light such that it shone brightly likely didn't help the camera-burning potential of these two photogenic men being in one place. 

"Well mostly I mean real football, but that's fair enough. And are you sure no one is selling any teams, or just none that you're willing to buy? Maybe you should buy up one of the 'bad' teams and pour a few billion in making it awesome? I dunno, I watch sports, I don't teach them."

9 minutes ago, Avenger Assembled said:

Ultimate made her greetings too, a little stiffer and more awkward than most of her peers, but far from the bluntly forward young woman she'd been when she and Corbin had first begun dating. She did seem concerned about something, though, and after a few minutes of idle conversation pulled Corbin aside. 

"Corbin Hughes," she whispered in his ear from a corner, neither of them immediately noticing that Lynn were close enough to overhear. "Someone is pregnant at this party! I can sense the nascent life force - much stronger than a typical human pregnancy. What is the etiquette?" The last, at least, was not an uncommon question from her. 

Cobalt Templar

Corbin had developed a lot of discipline his emotions, and their displays, in his many years of life. That's why he didn't visibly blanch and widen his eyes when he heard Quo-Dis whisper this. Instead, he simply pulled her close for a hug, taking those moments to whisper in her ear.

"We certainly don't go asking about. Perhaps it's best to continue this in a more private manner, my love?"

He hooked their arms together and sought to guide them to the drinks table. As he did, he tried to open their telepathic bond and speak to her mind-to-mind.

'Generally speaking, the etiquette would be to not ask who is pregnant, or even mention it. Typically the individual or couple will reveal the pregnancy at a moment of their choosing. There are enough cultural and religious intricacies that it's better to let the mother be the one to spread the news. As far as the power of the child...well, this is not a typical human gathering, to say the least, is it?'

13 hours ago, KnightDisciple said:

Gabriel

The fact that Gabriel's outfit pretty much always caught the light such that it shone brightly likely didn't help the camera-burning potential of these two photogenic men being in one place. 

"Well mostly I mean real football, but that's fair enough. And are you sure no one is selling any teams, or just none that you're willing to buy? Maybe you should buy up one of the 'bad' teams and pour a few billion in making it awesome? I dunno, I watch sports, I don't teach them."

"Firstly, it's soccer here. Second, I can arrange for you to go against the practice squad, if you'd like?"  He smiled slyly, a wolfish expression with his head, and he hums a little bit, shaking hish ead as he stepped back then.  "This would be sports economics, so that part I get.  Which really translate to owner groups of various sports leagues having to take their heads out to relive themselves after a hearty meal."

And then a cuff with the back of his hand against Gabriel's chest, a little brusque, enough to push him back on his heels without meaning anything by it.  "Of course, never let it be said that making a billion or two doesn't over inflate the ego!"

Dancia Devon’s

Dancia peer round the giant Gargoyle and smiled at the newcomers to their little corner, apparently she’d lucked into the place to be at this little party. Shame she couldn’t take advantage of this in a professional sense

“Hi there I’ve think we might have met before?” having being inside her brain Mike probably knew her as well as anyone on this Earth

But the newcomers didn't stop coming and she had even more people to meet and greet.

“Hello all. Dancia Devons, reporter, off duty! Though I can go get canopies if you want to start telling each other all those heroic deeds type stories.”

Although she'd braced, she was still hurt by his handshake, biting her lip and letting out a little whimper at the force of it. When he let go, she cleared her throat before speaking, to stop her voice coming out all wobbly. "I'm.. fine." She shook her hand as she spoke, trying to get feeling back in it. He is strong. Yikes. "Remind me not to make you mad. I'm sure you could snap me like a toothpick if you wanted to." She smiled to show that she was talking in good humour and wasn't actually mad at him crushing her hand.

For but a minute, it was like Gargoyle had just shut down.  His responses, none.  His movement, none.  Even breathing had appeared to stop for a moment.  Then he appeared to just power back up again, like it hadn't happened. 

"Oh my god it smells way too good in here!  I'm sorry, the smell of the place just overwhelmed me for a moment and I had to just take it all in.  What are we all talking about?"

Gargoyle looked over at Psy Strike.  "Sorry about that Psy Strike, I am just not used to handling things quite that delicately with this strength.  Normally I'm picking people up to save or punching or throwing things... sometimes clawing things... By the way, have you ever flown?"

On 12/30/2016 at 4:06 PM, TheAbsurdist said:

"Firstly, it's soccer here. Second, I can arrange for you to go against the practice squad, if you'd like?"  He smiled slyly, a wolfish expression with his head, and he hums a little bit, shaking hish ead as he stepped back then.  "This would be sports economics, so that part I get.  Which really translate to owner groups of various sports leagues having to take their heads out to relive themselves after a hearty meal."

And then a cuff with the back of his hand against Gabriel's chest, a little brusque, enough to push him back on his heels without meaning anything by it.  "Of course, never let it be said that making a billion or two doesn't over inflate the ego!"

Gabriel

The sonic-slinging hero sighed and rolled his eyes at the use of "soccer", but still seemed interested.

"I'm sure I'd be terrible at it but I might like to give that a go. Maybe we could make it some sort of charity thing? We both know each of us can sell tickets, if we combine our powers we're sure to raise money for something worthy."

He glanced around and lowered his voice to a bare whisper, leaning over a bit to try and deter lip-readers.

"Better than when they try to auction us off for dates, anyway."

He straightened up and tried to listen politely, nodding along. Then wincing when slapped, though it was clearly for show with all that armor. Still, he took a half-step back.

"Right, what's a few million between friends and all that? Anyway do you want to try mingling, or just angle for some refreshments. I'm not sure when we'll start up the live music, if we do. I've got a couple bits prepared but we didn't want to keep to a hard schedule for this shindig."

On 1/4/2017 at 6:58 PM, KnightDisciple said:

Gabriel

The sonic-slinging hero sighed and rolled his eyes at the use of "soccer", but still seemed interested.

"I'm sure I'd be terrible at it but I might like to give that a go. Maybe we could make it some sort of charity thing? We both know each of us can sell tickets, if we combine our powers we're sure to raise money for something worthy."

He glanced around and lowered his voice to a bare whisper, leaning over a bit to try and deter lip-readers.

"Better than when they try to auction us off for dates, anyway."

He straightened up and tried to listen politely, nodding along. Then wincing when slapped, though it was clearly for show with all that armor. Still, he took a half-step back.

"Right, what's a few million between friends and all that? Anyway do you want to try mingling, or just angle for some refreshments. I'm not sure when we'll start up the live music, if we do. I've got a couple bits prepared but we didn't want to keep to a hard schedule for this shindig."

"HA!"  Came the barking laugh from Asad, "You know I mean the American Football type, right?  It wouldn't be fair for that to happen, but a charity event is good, though the amount of philanthropy I have slated is booked solid through July.  But if you don't mind humiliating ourselves, I could probably wing something with my production company of us and other heroes trying sports?  Non-combat of course..."

He rubbed at his jaw as his eyes narrowed as he worked the whole thing out in his head.  "You joke, I have three of those date auctions this time of year.  Some of the ladies are... brazen.  But I am an eligible bachelor.  So... yes."

"I say we do both, refreshments and mingling.  Just remember, I am not a member, and there isn't enough scotch in the city to get me to sing."  Grinning at Gabriel as he lifted a bit off the ground to scout where the food and other things were  "That way, refreshments off the port bow!"  Landing, he angled himself towards it, not that it was so heavy with throngs of people that there would be a problem to get to the food.

"That's alright. I'm sure I'll be fine in a week or two." Again Rose smiled, still stretching her crushed hand as she spoke. "I haven't flown before, actually. I can't really fly. I can run super fast, I can jump high and I can slow my fall, but I can't quite fly yet. Hopefully with a little bit more practice I'll be able to." She answered. "If I had wings like that, I'm not sure I'd want to touch down any time soon, though." She added, trying to keep the conversation flowing. It would be nice to make a powerful friend or two whilst I'm here. It's lucky even the more intimidating looking heroes are all so friendly on their off days.

Mike chuckled knowingly at the rather lax oversight of student antics at claremont and was distracted by the rather bombastic entrance for a long moment briefly losing track of the conversation.  As he took not of the exchange he quirked a brow with concern and glanced at her hand to ensure no significant damage had been inadvertently done.

"Pick-up-sticks, and that jenga block game."  he suggested to Gargoyle with a friendly smile, "Control can be hard at first but they're good exercises."  he advised with a laugh, "Still work on them myself occasionally."  he admitted and now that it looked as if all had settled in comfortably he offered a small bow, "I should get back but it was a pleasure certainly."  He offered and continued to make his way about the room mingling as best he was able.