Dark Dealings (IC)

Echo blinked. "Weeell, I had been just planning to show up and assume it would work out, but come to think of it maybe we should work out some kind of plan first. Planning isn't my usual MO, but it's just wild enough to work this time." I usually just go there, hit things, and run away if they hit back too hard. Which is probably not a great long-term strategy.

She sank back down into a crouch. "Right. Plan. Bear with me here, I'm new to this whole 'thinking ahead' thing." Tapping her chin thoughtfully with her finger, she said, "Getting inside without breaking anything won't be a problem, at least. I can teleport us past any barrier we run into, so long as I have a good sense of where I'm going. So we won't need to be smashing down any doors today.

"So I guess if we know which floor we're headed to, we could just go right up the side of the building and 'port in through the window. I can walk on walls, kinda, so I can carry you if you'd rather not fly. It would save us having to work our way down or up from the ground or rooftop entrances." She looked at Casey. "Any more thoughts?"

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Casey thought about it for a few seconds; to be honest, based on the limited means available to them, this would probably be as much of a plan as they could realistically come up with without turning to more professional help.

"Okay, we'll see if we can make this work."

She pulled out and unfolded a satelite photo she'd printed off of Google Earth, and pointed at specific building across the street from their target.

"Meet me on this rofftop in one hour," she declared, hoping she sounded more confident than she felt. She provided the street address as well to ease navigation. "And try to wear something a bit more...stealthy."

There was a blur of motion, and their weird picnic in the sky was all tidied up and tucked into a bag for later disposal.

"See you soon!"

And with that, the blonde powerhouse lifted off into the sky, her golden glow arcing south across the river.

The building that housed the Mercury Shipping corporate headquarters looked no different from any one of a hundred towering monoliths that littered Freedom City - an imposing fifty-story structure made of stone-like concrete, lined with window panes turned into black mirrors by the night.

On a nearby rooftop that afforded a good view of the target building sat Echo, fidgeting slightly in her new attire. She had decided to take Miracle Girl's advice and ditch her blue-and-silvers for something slightly more subtle. She now wore sturdy navy jeans with heavy boots, a dark grey sweatshirt with the hood raised, gloves, and a black scarf she had wrapped around her face to serve as a mask. A ski mask might have been more practical, but she didn't want to lean too heavily on the "going to go knock over a Zippy Mart" look. Her utility belt remained buckled around her waist.

She sat as she was accustomed to, with her legs dangling casually over the ledge, in a manner that belied her inner anxiety. Rolling up her sleeve, she checked her watch for what was probably the tenth time in as many minutes. As nonsensical as it may be, she was used to doing her Echo thing in her normal costume, not decked out like a crook. And damn it - I'm also going to need to think of a new name, aren't I.

Suddenly someone landed on the roof behind her with a surprisingly soft thump; a young woman rose up from a crouch, her blonde hair twisted into a tight braid that fell between her shoulders. She wore a black racing jacket zipped up to her neck, black driving gloves, black jeans and a pair of black leather motorcycle boots. Her eyes were hidden by a large pair of sunglasses, and she was quietly chewing a wad of gum, green apple from the smell of it.

"Call me Hardcase." Her voice was deeper and huskier than Miracle Girl's cheerful tone, and utterly devoid of all warmth; all that remained was professionalism. She rolled her shoulders and cracked her knuckles. "Ready when you are."

It might seem silly, but the only way Casey knew how to play this persona was to go all in; she would not break character tonight.

Edited by Heritage