[IC] Kick Off!: Dark Horse

olopi

The man had already started to move as energy flew towards him. While moving as a blur, dodging was not very difficult, and by the time the energy had reached the thief’s previous position, he already stood, at the doorway, not too far behind Ouroboros.

As the thief came to a stop, his cape fluttered to the side, revealing a variety of pouches and at least three belts, all worn on his torso. He waited just a second, and as Ouroboros began to turn around, brought up the crossbow again. The man seemed to have more trouble aiming in an upright position, allowing the dhampir to fully face his opponent, right as another green bolt appeared, and flew towards him.

The force field surrounding him slowed the bolt, and by the time it made an impact with his body, it felt weak, just strong enough to leave a scratch. As it made contact, the light started to disappear, but there was no further effect, Ourobors still felt as healthy as ever, not having taken any proper damage so far.

The theif in the meantime had lowered his crossbow, now only holding it in his offhand, his main hand in front of his chest, in what appeared to be a martial arts position. His eyes, now a bit more visible thanks to the shorter range, still showed determination and confidence.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, olopi said:

The second thief was trying to take a step backwards, right as Nevermore managed to grab onto her arm. Responding to his move immediately, she tried to drop onto the ground and roll, in order to trip her adversary instead. Not in time however, as Nevermore slipped behind her. And then, he had her in a full grip, holding her in a position most uncomfortable for her.

“You’re impressive too. I have a preference for strong ones, you know?”

Her other arm, not twisted behind her back, still had some ability to move. All her movements were restricted, but, hoping she’d distract him, she tried to struggle against the attacked either way. Her arm moved backwards, elbow first, in an attempt to hit some part of Nevermore’s body. She had however, clearly telegraphed her intent, and it took only little effort on the cowl’s part to avoid her attack, by simply shuffling to the side a bit, managing to still hold onto the full grip.

“You’ve got a lot of training. Care to show me something more exotic?”

Nevermore literally cocked his head to the side like a confused bird,or perhaps dog.

"Thank you? And while I certainly train for strength it is not my only focus."

As she tried to elbow him, he twisted slightly, his arm releasing her throat. The strike skimmed past his side, and then was redirected by his now-free arm. Both of their arms were occupied for several long moments. Then, Nevermore quickly maneuvered her in a quick spin that he complimented with his own rotation, his cape flaring briefly. They ended with him somehow pinning both of her arms behind her with just one of his own, and one of his legs keeping hers split up and off-balance. It was a hold that blended a few martial styles in a curiously efficient manner. 

"I have several things I wish to protect, so I cannot stop training. As for exotic, well, I hope this is not too uncomfortable, but your presence here is problematic. I promise this won't cause permanent harm."

What did he-? And then his free hand lashed out, It landed a series of quick jabs at various points on Weaver's body. The pain would be fairly minimal, but if they proved effective her body would start to slow. It seemed to be a sort of nerve strike, though not so immediately effective that true paralysis was guaranteed; this style "merely" worked to wear down the body's effectiveness until the opponent gave up or went unconscious. 

"I do find myself saddened you are using the talents and gifts you have for petty larceny. Certainly we could help you achieve greater and more noble ends with your abilities. It seems almost shameful we must fight."

He seemed intrigued by this girl! Also he hadn't heard Huang's grumblings. 

The Thief’s voice changed slightly, slightly lower and deeper, perhaps a somewhat suggestive undertone, perhaps Alek simply misjudged it.

“Oh? Tell me about it. … Tell me, … what can you teach me? … Say, what is it I could learn.”

At the same time, she shifted around her body, as good as it was possible with Alek’s firm grip, bringing him into a slightly more awkward position. She continued to move, it didn’t make much sense, as it didn’t seem like she was trying to accomplish anything, it only looked ever more embarrassing to possible onlookers. (So, Huang, really).

“I might be able to show you things too. Things so …interesting … you cannot imagine.”

Alek did not pay complete attention for barely the blink of an eye. Suddenly, the Weaver made a single move, allowing her to break the full grab on her arm, and just as Alek noticed her doing this, a wire shot out from her belt, pulling her forward, towards and upwards, towards the ceiling, the young Cowl unable to intercept her in time. She spoke, in a more serious and focused tone, but part of her previous attitude could still be heard.

“Understand that this is much bigger than you can imagine. I might take you up on that offer still, who knows? For now, there is a mission to follow.”

Her head looked up, towards the ceiling above Alek, as she spoke again.

“What do you wait for? Strike now, friend. I am outside the affected area.”

Edited by olopi

With a challenging snarl Ouroboros met the thief's overconfident gaze the dhampirs eyes flaring with dark power.  At the invocation of his inherited power his foe was flooded with the memory of his every sin and failing, every missed shot, every stumble in training, every harsh word from a mentor or classmate, every crime and guilty moment laid bare filling his mind with blind dread, "You can't beat us."  he echoed darkly and seeing the thief wilt under the weight of despair redoubled his efforts calling forth a chant of freezing winds a lance of frost forming in the air as the wave of intense cold engulfed the shaken thief.

The thief was not able to dodge in time, and the wave of cold struck and engulfed his position. His eyes, for the first time, were not focused on his enemy, but instead darted across the room, looking for something. The rest of his expression had also changed, less stern and neutral, to something that showed a sense of fear, even if it was only subtle.

He began to shiver as he dropped to one knee, barely holding himself upwards by leaning ono his crossbow. His breathing became more heavy, and from his body language it was clear that he had both been injured, but also hit by the effect of Ouroboros’ spell of despair. The two fighters did not have a whole lot of distance between them. He continued breathing heavily, as he looked upwards, meeting Ouroboros’ eyes once more. The thief’s mouth started to move, speaking slowly and quietly, with a gravely voice.

“Go on then …Strike me down …Free me from this curse. “

Edited by olopi
  • 3 weeks later...

Nevermore was honestly out of his element. Part of him recognized, in a very detached and academic way, perhaps what sorts of hints this girl was dropping, and what the odd feelings he was experiencing perhaps were. But there's a world of difference between vague  academic knowledge, and genuine experience. Which was why his focus had slipped, and he was practically entranced.

His brain was grinding away at the "problem", struggling to understand what was going on, why she was acting this way. He had pretty much never gotten this sort of attention directly; for all that his athletic build and foreign appearance drew eyes, his focused, almost stern demeanor, combined with his rather notable friendliness with the Headmistress of the Academy, made him a figure rarely approached by random teens. 

Combine this confusion with his slight shock and confusion at her breaking his rather firm grapple so suddenly, and he ended up just standing there, gawking like a fool. 

Seeing her companion’s situation seemed to make the female Thief stagger for just a second, uncertainty in her body language. A valuable second of confusion, before she snapped back. She pushed herself off the wall, flying through the air and landing with a masterful roll, effortlessly flowing over into a run, towards a variety of objects on the far side of the room. As she was running, her hand went into one of the pockets, seemingly searching for something.

She continued to run, as she pulled out a small device, further details obstructed by the weak light. It appeared to be a gauntlet of some sort, as she slipped it onto her hand. She leaped across a table, carefully dodging the small display boxes that had been placed on it. Once more, a wire shot out, once more lifting her up towards the ceiling. She landed upside down, crouching against the ceiling, both her feet and knees sticking to it. Her left hand also held on, as she pointed her right one, the one wearing the gauntlet down, towards the room.

Edited by olopi

"Oh please."  Ouroboros scoffed with a shake of his head, "Firstly if I was the sort to go in for so final a solution I'd not be convinced by finding out you think it's some way out."  the Dhampir corrected and with a burst of vampiric speed blinked across the room to Nevermores side, "And secondly the whole 'Free me from this eternal burden!' schtick is a bit too edgelord even for me."  he finished and called forth the incantation of frozen flame.

Between the teen heroes and the ner-do-wells sprung a wall of eerie blue flame unmoving as if frozen in time.  Though it gave off no heat it was solid as heavy steel as impassible in this world as those adjacent.  Sparing a glance for the Ravens Protege he inquired, "I assume you have some method in all that," he gestured to the suit, "To alert the headmistress or your patron as to the situation?"

All Ouroboros got from the downed Thief was a growl, as his eyes followed the dhampir’s high-speed movements. Movements, which seemed to affect the intruder in some way, as his eyes narrowed, and his expression changed from a frown towards something between a frown and a smile, looking both amused and confused. He slowly moved back onto both of his feet, as the wall of Frozen Flames separated the room.

He shot a quick glance to his partner in crime, but then immediately turned back towards the two crimefighters, adressing them, his voice sounding just a gravelly as before, but louder, and somewhat agitated. “You. “He lifted his hand, to vaguely point in Ouroboros’ direction. “How did you-. It can’t be…” While he seemingly had recovered from the spell of Despair, he was not nearly as calm as before, his fingers twitching slightly. He continued to stare down the two students, but also spoke with the other Thief. “Third Row. Second Column. Eight one. “

Edited by olopi

"Did so before we came down here."

Nevermore is evaluating the wall in front of him, even as his hands are once more removing, storing, pulling out, attaching, and rearranging modular tech components on his suit and belt/harness. The last item clicks into place, and Nevermore raises one arm in the direction Weaver had gone to.

"I think I can handle her, now."

With those not entirely encouraging words, he zipped into the air. Just as he passed through the wall, the air around him came alive with what seemed to be an unkindness of ravens, flapping and cawing and all aimed square at the girl in the spy suit. Nevermore landed on a support beam next to where she "stood" on the ceiling, crouched there for a moment even as the ravens swirled and cawed all around him. 

In that moment, in the shadowy darkness up there, surrounded by those birds, he was something more and less than human, his voice a grinding gravel-pit of sound, at least for a few moments.

"You didn't leave me a choice."

And then his left leg lashes out in a precise kick, aimed directly at her sternum.

The ravens seemed to do something. At the sight of Nevermore passing through the wall, and then the ravens appearing, the girl was … almost paralyzed from fear, not moving even slightly. She was clearly taken out of it, as she continued to crouch, hanging down from the ceiling, even as Nevermore approached. The ravens had by now started to circle her, and even though her face was not visible, her emotion was. She snapped out of it when she heard her opponent’s strangely gravelly voice. His attack hit her, but she had managed to avoid any major damage, having twisted her body in such a way the most armored part took the force of the impact.

Almost immediately, her belt-grapple flew out, dragging her away from Nevermore at high speed. About half way across the room, the line broke. Judging by the Thief’s acrobatic movements, she had planned this, as she fell towards the ground and landed into a roll. She rolled through, back into a standing position, and immediately held her gauntleted arm outwards, as if aiming for something. And then, a grapnel claw, not unlike the one Nevermore had previously used, flew out, grappling onto a tennis-ball sized glass ball surrounded by wooden ornaments which had been on display in the room. The line pulled it back towards the Weaver’s hand, as she nodded slightly, still obversing her enemies with part of her attention.

Edited by olopi

"Ah then they should be..."  Ouroboros grimaced slightly as he finished after the startling cloud of Ravens with Nevermore at its center swung through his wall, "contained."  

Of course locking the would be thieves with their gadgets and gizmos and possible powers in a room full of potential treasures might not have been the best of plans either.  As was proven when they went for an apparent secondary target the small ball flying to the female's hand in a manner all too similar to Nevermores own earlier trick.  "Dammit."  the teen magus spat as he considered his next move looking between the two interlopers now trapped with Nevermore.  Continuing to bar their escape he called once more upon his vampiric heritage to enhance the effects of Nevermores frightful charge,  Turning a red gleaming gaze upon the frightened thief he pushed forward the darkness of his parentage to the surface recalling to her mind the primordial fear of what lurked in darkness, "There's no way out."  he hissed full of menace.

The female thief looked uneasy still, concerned about what just had happened, and still shooting glances to both her opponents. Sure, she held the object in her hands, but she wasn’t through this yet. While her face may have been concealed by her armor, it was easy to tell she wasn’t quite sure what to focus on, and still distressed. It made her an easy target for Ouroboros’ trick, her eyes locked onto his as he began. She took another step backwards, gradually looking more and more scared. But, then, after Ouroboros had finished, she planted her foot on the ground, in front of her, doing the best to hide the object she had stolen behind her body regardless. She spoke, uneasy and slightly panting.

“No, you’re wrong. We’ve got one still. Somewhere...”

Meanwhile, her companion had slowly gotten back up, the students’ attention focused on his partner-in-crime. His crossbow had disappeared, consumed by a light, and turned back into a scroll. He’d put said scroll away, switching it out with another one. It looked almost the same, but was smaller, small enough to hide it in one hand if need be. He didn’t however, he looked too beat-up to attempt doing it. He’d simply pulled it out and held it in his hand, glancing over towards his companion.

Edited by olopi

Nevermore's eyes narrowed behind his lenses as Weaver tried to grab another artifact. Part of him wondered why these were't under 15 layers of security and a half-mile of rock, but such was the world of superheroes. Maybe these were all fakes of the real deals back in the Rookery, anyways. 

He releases his grapnel and kicks off from his perch, his cape briefly flaring as he glided the short distance between himself and Weaver. He landed in a crouch, and even as he stood up he lunged for her. The holographic ravens experienced a slight "lag", manifested by them not swarming around him right as he made the attack. instead, even as his arms began to wrap around Weaver again, they swirled around before landing on various cases and ledges around them. 

They ended up with her free hand in a hammerlock, the hand and arm holding the artifact still nominally free. His other arm, though, had circled in front of the shoulder of said arm, limiting its range of motion. His body was turned a bit to one side, so that one of his legs could step in front of one of hers and somewhat wrap around and lock it down. It wasn't a completely unbreakable hold, but it would keep her from easily moving. 

"Let go of the artifact and stand down."

His voice was suddenly soft enough only she could hear it, practically a whisper in the midst of all the noise, and with almost none of the threatening growl that seemed typical for the nighttime hero. 

"Please."

The Weaver did not manage to dodge Nevermore’s attack, still slightly taken aside by the previous attacks on her mind. She quickly realized what Nevermore was planning to do however, and didn’t resist at all, which was surprising, to say the least. She spoke again, sounding exhausted, exhaling before actually saying any words. “You do really like me close, don’t you? It’s nice.” She seemed to be more comfortable, less uneasy now, as she slightly moved around with the grip, causing Nevermore to move too.

And then, Nevermore asked her, this time less growling. Before the Weaver’s body had told of unexpected fear and some unease. Now, she just looked surprised. Quite surprised, in fact, she hadn’t expected that at all if what Nevermore could tell of the outlines of her face was correct. As she continued to move around slightly in the hold and changing both her and Nevermore’s position in the room, she replied, equally quiet. “Maybe we can strike a deal.” By now, Nevermore’s body obscured most of the Weaver’s body from where Ouroboros was standing, only part of her leg still visible properly.

Edited by olopi

"By the nightmare realms."  Ouroboros cursed mildly as the thief snatched yet another trinket from the trophy cases and turned Nevermores hold to her own advantage.  Her wounded compatriot would have to wait however as the Magus wasn't about to let her manage an escape with their intended spoils.  Letting the wall of frozen flame fade he incanted once more in resonant tones rolling from his lips "Manu Procul Ad Aethera",  and at his words an iridescent hand of pure aetheric force sprung into being reaching out with mystic might to grasp and wrench the orb from the would be thief's grasp and carry it back to Ouroboros own hand.

"Enough with the dance lessons maybe?"  he suggested to Nevermore and glanced to the scroll bearer, "Just give it up."  he pled in exasperation.

GM

The other Thief looked looked more and more injured, the various attacks having taken their toll. Holding the small scroll in both of his hands, he glanced towards Ouroboros and his spell. His face did not show of any emotion, doing his best to look expressionless. His body began to shift in place, as his movements once more were followed by an after-image of some sort.

His motions continued to walk, but his movements were at a running speed. Only a second later, he stood next to the two dancers, only about 5 feet behind them, also trying to conceal himself from Ouroboros’ line of fire. He was too tall for that however, so instead his eyes went from Ouroboros to Nevermore and his partner, and back to the sorcerer. Whatever the scroll would do, the thief’s motions suggested he could activate it at any moment now.

Edited by olopi

"I tend to work best when in close."

It's like he literally doesn't understand the innuendo in what he says. At this point it seems possible to Weaver that he really doesn't grasp innuendo, at least not as well as the rest of the people present. But then Ouroboros managed to snag the orb and pull it to himself. With the orb out of The Weaver's hand, Nevermore suddenly exploded into movement. His arms and legs moved rapidly but purposefully, and by the end of it Weaver found herself somehow maneuvered such that she was effectively hogtied, with her own limbs placed such that they keep each other in place, helped by one of his armored hands holding things in place. He looked back at Ouroboros and spoke calmly.

"Wasn't trying to dance. Not great at dancing."

But then he leans down and speaks quietly to the armored woman.

"I'm listening. No games."

GM

Nevermore’s grappling was on point today, the Weaver had no chance to even avoid his movements, and soon found herself completely constrained. At first, she struggled a bit, but quickly realized it would not help, instead relaxing. She didn’t fight against Nevermore’s further movements. Clearly she had a plan of some sort, as she tried to keep close to her opponent. She didn’t move much, instead focusing her attention on following everyone’s movements, and speaking. She spoke louder than before, her intention probably was to make everyone in the room hear it.  “Clearly you know how to dance. How about a walzer?“

More quietly, she addressed Nevermore personally, speaking like before. She sounded confident, probably had some further plan, but also genuine. “We get the orb, I’ll tell you everything you want to know. “Her voice returned to the one she had since the beginning, the more affectionate one. “Everything. “

Edited by olopi

Ouroboros looked at Nevermore blinking slowly for a moment as he pulled open his coat and deposited the Orb neatly into the emptiness therein.  There was no way anyone can be this clueless was there?  Letting Nevermore continue whatever it was he was doing however Ouroboros focused instead on the scroll in the other interlopers hands watching carefully as whatever magic it might contain was unleashed and preparing his own mystical might to stop it in its tracks.  Hands placed carefully in complex warding mudras he began a low chant of unweaving.

GM

Ouroboros starting his chant seemed to be what put the male thief over the edge. Whereas before, he had simply been standing behind the two grappling combatants, trying to avoid any potential attacks, he now seemed more active. He was still hurt quite badly, moving slowly. He took a step to the side, his pupils widened at the expectation of an attack. Fortunately, it had seemed like whatever spell it was, it would take some more time for it to happen. The gravelly voice spoke again, hushing. “No time. We’re leaving. “

He held up the scroll, adding a short chant, and beginning to glow in white, as his hand reached out to his companion. And then, as Ouroboros’ magic did it’s work. The glow stopped, and the scroll faded out of existence. The thief looked shocked. He looked uncertain, as his hands went into his pockets, probably trying to find some other scroll.

Edited by olopi

Nevermore pauses for several moments, seeming to consider Weaver's offer. Finally, he leaned down and all but whispered in her ear.

"No deal."

Suddenly, he snapped into motion, quick as a viper. One hand kept Weaver in her hog-tied stance, somehow maintaining an iron grip with just one hand. One of his legs flashed out first, trying to strike the side of the other thief's knee, producing pain and shaking his stance. Another kick went high, for the man's midsection. A punch lashed out at the kneecap. Combined, it might not take the man completely out of the fight, but it ought to at least slow and wind him.

All way keeping Weaver helpless on the floor. 

"Nice save on his teleport, Ouroboros."

GM

The fabric of the thief’s clothing was a lot harder than it looked. It looked like fabric, felt like fabric, and moved like fabric. But it felt like steel when Nevermore made his attacks. They would probably cause some bruises, but not on their intended target. The thief himself looked rather unaffected, if slightly surprised, he had been focusing on Ouroboros this entire time.

Instinctively he took a step backwards, out of striking range. His face looked angry, both at his enemies, but also at his partner who had let herself get caught.

His partner, who was still whispering to Nevermore. She seemed to have accepted the position she was in, only able to influence everything by use of her words. “Are you sure? Really? Don’t you want to know? Know why we’re here? Know what the Orb is? Know who were are? Know about me? All my secrets? You won’t get chances like these again, why not use them? You want to know, don’t you?”

Edited by olopi

"Your trinkets and borrowed power won't save you."  Ouroboros growled ominously as the would be thief resisted yet another attack his enhanced clothing absorbing Nevermores blow.  Sweeping his hand in long looping gesture the young magus summoned forth spectral power, ghost light limning his hands as he struck out and incanted, "Zúrivý Strašidlo Paľba!", a swarm of phantasmic fists arced out and around even through Nevermore and his incapacitated foe.  The spectral attack pummeled the unfortunate thief from all sides as the spells final words echoed through the chamber driving him to the floor under the barrage.  

Ouroboros' hands fell to his side as his target collapsed and strode carefully toward Nevermore and the remaining thief, "You really are not in the position to be negotiating."  he pointed out and looked to Nevermore curiously, "So this is the part where the cavalry arrives a moment after the matter is settled right?"

GM

The Weaver did her best to turn her head towards her companion. She saw him get hit by the kick and shrug it off. And she saw him get hit by the magic, and go down. She looked somewhat upset behind her mask, only the major facial movements actually being visible. She didn’t try to escape still, she waited for Ouroboros to come closer.

As he was closer, she inspected him, as good as she could with most of her body unable to move. Her head went to her companion, to nevermore, and back to Ouroboros. “Mission failed, I suppose. “ Her voice sounded upset, but a hint of sorrow was in it too. She very obviously moved her jaw, before biting down again. The next thing was the sound of a pill of some sorts breaking, followed by the sound of some sort of liquid streaming out. With seemingly some effort, and quite clearly something in her mouth, the Weaver continued to speak. “Can’t let you have anything you’re not supposed to. “

Edited by olopi