Naming Conventions

TheAbsurdist

“You'd be surprise how good my poker skills our, my mum plays a mean game plus you have some wicked tells of you own. Beside something are worth wearing you heart on you shelve." her parents had wisely melted back into the crowd, to give them a little space to work this all out.

Agnus wasn't phased by the younger Dalir's attitude, she'd been through a similar phase when she was younger. Thanks to the Sprit of Justice many times in fact.

"I see he has inherited all you best genes, maybe I should trade in for a newer model." she whisper into Asad's ear before she was all smiles and charm as she offered a hand to the young man

"Agnus Stone, pleased to meet you."

Amir managed to murmur out a, "I've never had cause to have my full poker face with you."  Then he watched her engage his son with that little cutting remark of hers, he glanced, taking in where everyone was.  Seeing his mother enjoying a glass of champagne, and her parents disappearing.  He'd get them a gift later.  A Jaguar, or something.

Clearing his throat, Amir addressed his son, "Do you drink? At this point, I think we can cut the awkward introductions, I'll start apologizing, we have a few scotches, and we can go to a theme park to see if they are the most magical places on earth."

Dalir laughed a little bit, having the kind of swagger Agnus might imagine the younger Amir to have.  "Gee, dad... Touching..."  He snorted a little bit, though his eyes rested on Agnus, and his smiled to a little less jerk, a lot more 'How you doin''.  "Dalir Salehi, pleasure to meet you too."

Agnus could see that this could easily and quickly lead to many, many trouble the two of them just seemed far too similar in personality. Agnus was pretty aware that if things had gone a little different she could be right now be the not so evil Stepmother!

Still even though that was probably now a thing of the past, she could still try and act as a peacemaker and help them try and form a happy bound.

“Well I have access to the VIP so how about we grab a seat and maybe have a glass, or two, to celebrate?”.

For his part Amir didn't seem upset or perturbed by the reaction of Dalir, which their names rhyming almost might make him laugh.  "... Well, fair enough.  At this point, I am at a loss, and I didn't even know you existed until this day.  I am sorry, and really humor is a defense mechanism.  If you don't mind my ex playing mediator."  He looked to her then, "Thank you Agnus."

Dalir pursed his lips as he looked at them. "Sure, but I don't drink."  Though, the younger man was clearly being adversarial, he wasn't openly attempting to push his buttons, what with Amir openly flailing.  And the look that Dalir shot Agnus was appraising, even if he said nothing towards that end.  In the background Amatullah watched, floating at the edge of the scene, and not interjecting again, for now.

• 4 weeks later...

“Don’t worry there will enough non-alcoholic drinks for everyone, a lot of people back there are recovering alcoholics or worse.”

Agnus was not a malicious woman, well most of the time, and she bore no ill will to anyone. She remembered being a parent enough time to understand the extent a mother would go. She looked over at Amatullah and offered her what she hoped was a friendly smile.

“You are of cause welcome to join us as well, after all this is a matter of family now.” she resisted, very hard, the urge  to sound sarcastic. This was after all a genuine olive branch of an offer.

• 2 weeks later...

"Thank you, no.  I have other... old friends I have to meet."  She smiled thinly, though there was an air of self-satisfaction, as she had gotten what she had wanted.  With that, she turned and glided away from them into the crowd, and wherever else she might have designs for tonight.

"Anyone else smell burnt matches, or just me?"  Shaking his head he moved after Agnus and Dalir.  He was prone to pettiness, he knew this, though he got it from her, okay?

"Hm.  Well.  Okay.  I think I get why..."  Dalir watched his Grandmother disappear, and then looked to his father, and his... ex?  Who really was... No, nope. I don't want to end up playing into a cliche oedipal complex at this point in time, he thought, my family is sufficiently f***ed, no need to add to it.  His lips pressed tightly together, as he put his hands on his hip, and looked back to his father and back to Agnus.  Awkward.

Edited by TheAbsurdist

Agnus gave Amir a little look as her mother gave her excuses, she honestly expected something this really. She’d dealt with a few people like this in her early days, though she was to wrapped up in herself to realize at the time.

“Oh well it was nice to see you again ma’am. Masalam.” she put her hand together and gave a little head bow.

She then turned to the other and gave a sweeping hand gesture, and one of her charming smiles

“Shall we go see what the VIP area has in store for us all.”

• 2 weeks later...

"Agnus... you know we aren't at a club right?"  Amir arched a brow as he looked at her, he smoothed the front of his suit as he moved along side her, and his son.  Allah, that is just a lot to take in.  He glanced to his son then, eyeing the definitely punk aesthetic he had, and maybe he was judging, but honestly he didn't care.  The blow to his image and ego could hold for later... but since he was Iranian, there was a good idea why they hadn't talked in... ever.  The frown still on his face as he looked back to Agnus.

"So..."  Dalir folded his arms behind his head as he strolled along, humming a little bit.  "How many other kids do you have that don't know about?"

Agnus was more than use to Asad by now and didn't really miss a beat as she replied.

“VIP, Greenroom call it what you will its still a place where people gather to have drinks, alcoholic or not, and chat among themselves."

she kept her tone light, this was all idle banter after all.

She was trying mostly to keep out of their way to allow them to converse and general try and form a relationship, hopefully, a good one despite all the years they missed. She'd lived enough lives with such bittersweet meetings much like this, some good and some really bad.

"Did you even pay attention how much it cost to get into this event?  We are in the VIP room."  His expression was amused as he regarded her, as he spent way too much time at these types of events, and his expression had relaxed back to his more subdued, if genial one.  "Fine, fine..."  His tone more than a touched resigned as he looked at her.  "At least I think my mother counts as the supervillain quotient, so we wont have to deal with that right now."  He snorted a bit, as he just let her lead.  "So... Dalir, sorry, I know nothing, what do you do?"

"Are the rest of the 'family' like that?"  Apparently, whatever disdain he might have, he was tabling it after Amatullah's actions.  "Besides looking good?  I'm a wizard, y'know, magic."

“Well I'm used to the performer's area, you should try it sometime." she rolled her eyes as the two of them tried to out-pedant each other.

It was easy to forget that Amir had just met his son for the first time, she reeled herself back in and tried to focus it back on the family stuff.

“I'm sorry to interrupt. Me and you father, as you might know from the tabloids, have known each other for a little while. It's easy for us to fall into idle banter. Please carry on telling us all about you family. I'll just stand over here and enjoy the free drinks."