"If need becomes dire...I cans probability teleport us...but folding such a distance for so many peoples and our shuttling craft would prove..tiring to say the littlest." he offers quietly as his antenna continue to twitch nervously in the air, unable to shake the unease he had felt since entering this region of space.

"I woulds prefering not to,we would needing every hands on deck for as muchies as can be, but kneads musty when the devil driving." he states quietly as he examins his hands like they're amongst the most intresting of things he'd seen in quite a while. "also i would need to know more specifics about our prefered landing place."

"If we needs bartering chipsies im certain i could..." he felt his propiscis curling behind his mandibles in disgust as the mere thought entered his mind "Cook some things up."

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GM 

As the four Praetorians discussed options for making their way deeper into Khanate space, up above Kembel a pair of short range space fighters were making a standard patrol of far orbit toward the planet's nearest moon.  The two fighters were toward the outer edge of their patrol route when their long range sensors began picking up a large object approaching from the far side of Kembel's second moon.  The object was not in a normal shipping lane, nor was it transmitting any sort of standard navigational beacon. 

After a quick call to headquarters, the two fighters deviated from their patrol route toward the approaching object, passing the orbit of the nearest moon and into the space between the two moons.  It was as they began closing with the second moon that they first made visual contact with the object, which appeared to be a small comet that was headed towards Kembel. 

A full squadron of additional fighters were dispatched after the patrol called back, making it to past the near moon as they came to intercept the object.  Several salvos of missiles were launched toward the comet, hoping to blast it apart or at least divert its course, but to no avail. The missiles seemed to explode just short of impacting with the comet, which plunged through the explosions with no seeming effect. 

Back down on Kembel's surface… 

As the Praetorians were discussing their options, the sound of alarm klaxons began echoing through the city, causing the patrons and employees of the bar to look up from what they were doing for a brief moment.  Then several of the patrons began getting to their feet, heading towards the exits quickly.  The employees began quickly shutting things down and informing other patrons, who did not seem to understand the significance of the sounds that they needed to exit toward the nearest shelter. 

"things are movings fasters than we anticipateds." he states matter of factly as he tilts his head this way and that to look around himself at the state of affairs that surrounds him and his fellow praetorians.

it was slow to rouse but he could see the panic and chaos beginning to take hold as the klaxon continued to blare their dire warnings, the scenes of hundreds of worlds where he'd been at the forefront of battles to repel invaders, topple cartels and petty pirate lords layered over it as half a dozen different types of prefab shelters and fortifications crumbled and burned around him and the multitudes of aliens washed around him like a tidal wave.

"We needs more informations."

Cavalier was about to say something when the alarms cut him off, followed shortly thereafter by the shouting. "Something tells me the best way we're gonna get intel is to get right into the heat of it," he said. He reached towards the link that would bring his armor unfolding out into real space... then paused. For all that this world might need a Star Knight to defend against whatever the hell was coming, he couldn't just rend apart Sitara's soft-touch work. He looked to The Traveller. "What's our plan here? Thrilling heroics? Hanging on the periphery and just stopping imminent disaster? Or seeing what the planetary forces can handle?"

Sitara spent quite some time in this region of space and had quickly figured out how they operated, which was mostly hardly at all and often for the benefit of those at the top.

"There no guarantee that they have a force available to respond, let alone if they'd actually bother." she gave a little sigh "So we better get ourselves involved, not for the Khanites but for the few innocents on this planets. "

She looked at the three other Praetorians before adding.

"We're going to need more information about what’s happening, did you bring a ship, or are we going to have to do this the hard way?"

GM 

Seresk followed after his three teammates as they began moving out of the cantina and debating how they should react to the situation developing around them.  At Sitara's question he turned his head slightly to respond.  "We did not use any of the Praetorian craft, just a non-descript cargo shuttle.  It can certainly get us into orbit, but would not last long in any sort of combat situation." 

Around them panic was starting to grip parts of the populace, as people were starting to rush towards the nearest shelters.  A few members of the local law enforcement were visible, trying to direct people and otherwise provide some sense or order, but even they seemed slightly unsure of what was going on.

Up in the sky, the Praetorians could see a light cruiser moving up towards orbit, followed by a number of small fighter craft.

"I could disguise us." moon moth offers "It wouldn't take me very long, its a simple deed to create a lasting obsfucation, Not sure if it would be for better or worse." as he watches the huge craft hauling itself out of the stratosphere of the planet "Or if We move quickly i Might yet teleport us unto that craft as well."

"I fear without knowing much about the situation  i cannot say which would be wisest council to gives, so i offer these to you at your discretion."

Sitara thought for a few seconds as she watched the craft fly away into the stratosphere, millennia of experience had taught her how to react to almost any situation if luck was on their side.

"Best not to teleport in you've got a whole crew itching for a fight, best not to give them one with people who are on their side." she pointed to the shuttle the others had arrived in "Cloak the ship and we'll get the necessary sensor data we need, then we can deploy once we know who we're fighting."

Cavalier nodded. "All right," he said. He tapped some readings on the side of his bracelet, subtly adjusting the energy formulations into his armor. "If we need to, I can get out and do some up-front scouting. I've been able to go stealth in the past, and while it's not exactly a lasting thing, it will work for long enough." He looked to the rest of the group. "Then again, all things considered, it'd be best if I could keep that power routed for when-slash-if we need to break things, so let's see what we can do with initial stealth. Let's go." 

GM 

With the course of action decided, Moon-Moth quickly teleported everyone back to where the shuttle had been docked.  Soon the four Praetorians were all aboard, with Sitara taking the controls and powering up the ship. 

The small vessel hummed to life and soon it was airborne, starting up towards the outer atmosphere and whatever was going on up in orbit.  There was no sign of any additional combat ships lifting off from this part of the surface, but of course there could be more already up in space.  A number of other civilian spacecraft had taken off as well, making the airspace above the city a bit congested as others decided the easiest means of reaching safety was to leave.

"Ay' up!" moon-moth said testing out his latest acquisition in the market of teran language "I shall begin the casting, you may experience some discomforts, i am unsure what senses some of you possess." he confessed guiltily as he took his seat about  three feet in the air in the center of the craft, he found that this position was quite coincidentally the best position for centring ones self on a moving object, and an ideal location to bind the effect too.

Antenna slowly perking and flicking, swinging and swaying as he weaved the threads in his mind, bending light, radiation and even gravitons around the ships shape with his magic, it was something of a slow piece of work for him, 3 seconds compared to his usually instantaneous use of rotes though truth be told, nowhere near as long as it would take a ritual to sink in as he stabilized the effect, a perfect sphere on nonedetection against the most common types of sensors he'd yet encountered and as a bonus one that wouldn't require much attention from him to be sustained.

"Gooding like pudding to go go go!"

Cavalier let the armor slip out over him. He looked over to Moon-Moth casting, drawing forth his magic from the weave of the universe. It was still a hell of a thing, even if he'd seen it for years. Even before the Praetorians, there'd been Alaria on the Starforger, the priestess of the Mother Void who - through chants and right prayers - could walk through vacuum unaided for an hour, if not more. He'd seen wonders and horrors out in the Cloud, he'd seen heroes like Siren and Lady Liberty on the League long before he'd left Earth... so why did magic always catch that little hitch in his mind?

The full thrum of his materialized blaster broke him out of his reverie. Something to explore at a later date, when there were fewer priorities. "Let's go." 

As Sitara flew the ship she checked off all the minor niggles a ship of this age tended to pick up, she'd have to talk to the owner about the maintenance cycle when they got back to civilization. Still, it flew we enough and she zigged zagged among the other fleeing craft to hide their presence until Moon-moth did his magic.

"Okay let's go take a look at what we're up against shall we."

She steered the invisible ship toward the invaders, turning up the sensors to gather as much data as they could.

GM

The shuttle was far from the Kavaca, but once she had gotten familiar with its idiosyncrasies Traveller was able to handle it well enough.  Once Moon-Moth had shielded them from detection, she steered them out away from the stream of fleeing ships, following after the cruiser and fighter craft.

Pushing the shuttle's engines for all they were worth, Sitara soon guided the craft into orbit.  As they moved in the dark of space, the Praetorians saw the cruiser up ahead, having joined another that was already in orbit.  A number of fighter craft had formed up around the cruisers, all of which were moving further from the planet towards the nearest moon.

It was when the sensors scanned out towards that moon that the Praetorians caught a glimpse of what was alarming the locals.  What appeared to be a comet was coming around the orbit of the near moon, heading straight toward Kembel!

"Am pickling up Whopping hot readings from that comet, i suspects it is not Au Naturale" he chimed in, another teran turn of phrase willfully pilfered from his trip to earth "Its putting out energies like a reactor maybe someone put an engines on it and pointed it at a planet?" he felt his stomach churning at the thought.

"I don't believes it would've withstood the firepower of so many blasters without some shielding too but these sensings are like a waffling iron." he says with a sigh "Oh and its not magic either."

"Good," said Cavalier. "So it's not going to cast lightning bolt when we try to kick its ass." He looked over the sensors, trying to make sense of the data. "Okay, if we take out the reactors, it's already got enough propulsion going for it that we'd already be looking at Armageddon: the Musical if we took them out directly. And we don't have enough firepower to blast it to smithereens all on our own." He looked to the others. "We could try deflecting it out of its trajectory with Kembel. Which likely means getting on that thing and redirecting the engines. Or, if need be, setting them to blow the whole thing up for us." 

Sitara did a couple of rough and ready calculation in her head as she pushed the ship towards the comet at its best speed. She'd like to run a few simulations to be sure but she was happy with her initial calculations.

"If we get to the comet in good time we should be able to deflect it pretty easily. if absolutely necessarily I can jury rig the Grav-generators to help or even in a absolute emergency send it into hyperspace. I'm afraid you might not get you deposit back on this ship in those cases unfortunately."

GM

The most significant problem with the plans discussed by the Praetorians was whether there would be enough time to implement any of them.  While Sitara was pushing the shuttle for all it was worth, it was not nearly as fast as any of the Praetorian vessels.  The planetary defense ships had pulled well ahead now, the cruisers taking up position as the fighters flew towards the flanks.

The comet had passed the near moon orbit and was crossing the distance between the moon and Kembel at impressive speed.  By the time the Praetorians were able to intercept the comet, they likely would have only a small window of time to do anything in time to even divert the comet away from the planet. 

Out ahead, the cruisers began opening fire on the comet, as did the fighters flying in from the flanks.  The hail of laser fire struck the comet squarely, but appeared to have little or no effect as it continued onward.

Sitara did her final series of calculations before turning to the others, the options didn't look good right now.

"This little ship hasn't got the speed we need right now, and I really don't want to cut things down to the last minutes. I might be able to squeeze more speed or a micro-jump, but it going to take time and we haven't got that luxury right now. If any of you has quicker options to get us to the comet I suggest you use them right now."

She deployed her armour, now seemed a good time to ready it as any. It wasn't as fast as many of the others so it wasn't much better than the ship but it could be useful.

Once more centering himself in the centre of the craft moon moths antenna extend directly upwards in something of a V-shape.

"Holding on to something friends, going to having a bumpsy flying." He announces as the invisable hand of lanturns lunar mage grasps the ship, his fur bristling with unseen energies as he hurls the shuttle with all the might of his his minds arm.

• 2 weeks later...

GM

The shuttle craft lurched forward as Moon-Moth gave it the first telekinetic push.  With the added assistance, the craft was making much better time, although they would still be intercepting the comet half way between Kembel and it's moon. 

The planetary defense forces continued a barrage of laser fire at the approaching comet, but it continued to prove as ineffective as before.  The fighters launched missiles at the comet, but also they exploded at the outer halo of the comet. 

Now that the Praetorians were closer, they had a better look at the comet, it was smaller than either of the two defense forces cruisers, but at the speed it was going could still be catastrophic when it impacted with Kembel.  It would only be a few short moments before they intercepted with the comet…..

Sitara held onto the controls and steered the craft as best as she could, the ship complained but held itself together pretty well, she might have to reconsider her original opinion of this craft.

"Okay, I've going to try and land the ship safely. I suggest you make comet fall and make sure that there are no nasty surprises waiting for us."

With a mere thought her gleaming white armour deployed across her body, not that she was expecting trouble more planning in case the craft use oxygen.

"Time is, as usual, short and the situation dire, the perfect condition for the Praetorians to act!"

"It is time to Wok and Swole!" moon-moth echos chirpily as he perks right up, he's very impressionable and enjoys direct heroism as opposed to all this skullduggery he had been given lately, not that he complained of course, he understood that it was nessicary for the praetorians to move in subtler ways than simple grandstanding and endless battle.

"In orders to avoid creating detectable emissions i will teleports cavalier friend to the surface and return to ferry you seresk whilst you prepare! he proclaimed and extended one of his long spindly arms towards cavalier "taking my hand friend and we shall be away!"

Disappearing with the second armoured human in his present company as soon as consenting contact was made to the icy surface of the racing meteor before them 

At this point, there were a lot more important things to worry about than Moon-Moth's phraseology. He took Moon-Moth's hand. "Let's go," he said. As he waited for the spell to take hold, he sent a command to his blaster. Maybe, hope against hope, these propulsion engines wouldn't be EMP-shielded. Maybe he could disable each one with a single shot, bringing the asteroid's motion down to inertia alone with relative haste. 

And maybe there will be underwear models there. With beer. But hope springs eternal. 

GM

Moon-Moth and Cavalier vanished from inside the shuttle, only to instantly reappear down on the surface of the comet.  Immediately a powerful electrical current coursed over each of them, causing muscles to clench slightly in pain.  But both were able to withstand the assault, although it appeared it would just continue, as the electricity was flaring everywhere around them constantly.

Through the pain and brief confusion, Moon-Moth was able to get a bit of clearer look at the comet, even as he realized it was no natural object, but some large artificial construct.  Around him and Cavalier were several objects which he realized were not propulsion drives, but arresting thrusters, designed to slow an object down, such as when it was reentering a planet’s atmosphere.

Up in the shuttle, Traveller guided the craft down after the other two Praetorians, but as she neared the halo effect around the comet, she realized it was no ordinary combination of gases and ice, it was a forcefield that she was about to slam into! 

Pulling hard away as she fired maneuvering thrusters to help divert the vessel, the shuttle craft creaked ominously, almost as if it were complaining about the massive strain being placed on it.  But it held together as Traveller just barely avoid smashing into the forcefield with the combined velocity of both the shuttle and the comet.