"It wasn't Aquaria's fault," Jessie spoke up suddenly, her fingers knotted tightly in her lap. "They lied to her. They lied to everybody, I think. Some of the other Spectrum Knights and trainees had family members with them, and there were some, like, barracks for us near where they would do their training exercises. Some of them would talk about how they'd come because they'd been oppressed or thrown out of their homes, or because they were afraid for their families, living the way they did. All kinds of different stories, but the same idea. But nobody ever said they came because they wanted to kill people or become criminals." She looked at Aquaria, half-apologetic. "They didn't think they were strong enough to change their worlds, and the Spectrum Knights promised to make them strong." 

"They told me that with the power of the sky gods that Deep Ones could defeat the Atlanteans, that they would burn in the light of truth and justice." A look at Aquaria's giant eyes, adapted for the murky waters of a continental shelf, told the Praetorians that the glaring light of Terra's yellow primary must have been particularly irksome. "I thought they meant victory. Freedom. Waters that could be ours. But they meant conquest. They gave me a vision of the future: a vision of Atlantis at my feet, and the King of Atlantis in chains, and my people victorious.And I might have said yes - if Jessie hadn't spoken. If it didn't mean losing my family. Aquaria kept that thought to herself; knowing the power of words, of deeds. "And it was...the cost was too high. We are called by Dagon and Hydra to make sacrifices - but I would not sacrifice other lives. Not even for that.

She didn't look annoyed at Jessie for the interruption - though it was hard to read that face.