Crash on Volturnus (IC)

GM 

Checking the supplies, Starshot, Laark and Soreen each still had a fair supply of the preserved rations they had taken from the Xeon when they had left it where it had crashed in the desert.  In fact, only the Ul-Mor had been caught behind the cave in with only limited food supplies on them.  But they were well enough for at least a day. 

The HUD really did not have much to choose from in selecting a direction for the group.  The passage heading off the northeast was promising, even if it was continuing them away from the main passage where the cave in had occurred, it was at least heading in the general direction they had been traveling before the cave in.  If that main passage changed direction to the east, they might interest it, or perhaps find other passages leading them back towards the main one. 

The group followed the northeast passage for about two kilometers, as it wound and turned, but generally kept in the northeastern direction.   

Then, as they continued along, Starshot heard a faint voice ahead, singing in Gal Standard… 

"Oh, we hijacked the ship and we took us guns,
Li-dee-di-dee, li-dee-di-dee day-o.
Came to Volturnus and drank some run,
Li-dee-di-dee, li-dee-di-dee day-o."

"Now I'm lost in the caverns, no place to run,
Li-dee-di-dee, li-dee-di-dee day-o.
Anything moves, I shoots it with me gun,
Li-dee-di-dee, li-dee-di-dee day-o."

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Starshot

Starshot quickly signalled for silence and cover. What the hell was this?

Whatever, or whomever, it was, it was clearly ready to shoot anything that moved. With a gun, it seemed. 

He motioned for everyone to stay put, then, slowly he crept forward, crouching carefully. He would have loved a plasma pack right now, but needs must. He had his whip in hand. A couple of thermal pellets in his jacket...really useful for lighting fires, thermal pellets, but he could throw them in an emergency. 

But stealth was his best weapon now. With a bit of luck, the singer was drunk rather than hostile. He needed eyes on him - or her. His Helmet started pinging through the EM spectrum...

GM 

Starshot snuck ahead of the others, who followed forward a fair distance behind him as best they could, trying to just keep him in sight without getting to close that any noise they made would betray him. 

About thirty more meters up the passage, it opened up into a larger cavern, close to a hundred meters long (from north to south) and about sixty meters wide.  Another passage was located almost directly across from where Starshot was, continuing off in the northeaster direction.  In part of the southern end of the chamber, a figure was sitting by a fire, apparently cooking something. 

The figure was humanoid, a race with grey skin and no hair that Starshot did not really recognize.  It appeared to be male, and was dressed in sort of utilitarian clothing common among spacers.  He was slightly turned away from Starshot as he sat by his fire, and there was a blaster rifle on the cavern floor next to him. 

Nearby the figure was a small pile of bones and there was a makeshift bed that appeared to be made of hides from some creature.

Starshot

As silent as a mimetic mouse from Tiberius-K, Starshot was. Or the man was drunk. Probably both. Cave's weren't his terrain, by Starshot knew how to move quietly. 

He didn't recognise the woman / man / other. But he was perturbed by the song. 

"Smells nice" he said, softly, whip at the ready. 

"Ah...ah...ah!" he added, forcefully. "I may be moving, but shoot me" he shot out, forcefully. "I'm not hear to hurt you, but don't think I won't cook the meat of your bones if you even think about shooting..."

GM 

“AHHHH!”  The humanoid called out at the sound of Starshot’s voice.  He dropped the bone he was using as a spit with the meat still on it into the fire as he turned and reached for his weapon.

*CRACK* 

Starshot’s whip slashed out and wrapped around the blaster rifle, pulling it away from the humanoid and over near Starshot.  Further surprised by the sudden loss of his weapon, the humanoid stumbled backward as he tried to move away from Starshot, tipping over some rocks and sprawling on the ground. 

He was mumbling something in a language Starshot did not understand as he tried to start crawling away.  Now that he had a better look at the figure, Starshot could see his clothing was very dirty, with tears and rips in places, a few of which had been crudely stitched.

Behind Starshot, Laark and Soreen came running up from the passage, the two Ul-Mor following after them.

Starshot

"Easy there..." said Starshot, holding up his cybernetic hand to try and placate the ragged man. Perhaps the strange fellow had lost his marbles, cracked under stress. Whatever, he looked in bad shape. 

He kept his whip in hand, however.

"I'm not going to hurt you. I just had to make sure you didn't hurt me. Heard you singing about melting the brains of anyone you saw with your blaster" he explained. "If you got no quarrel with me, I've got no quarrel with you" he continued, softly. 

He lowered his whip. Just a couple of inches. 

"You never know, we might even be able to help each other get out of these caves?" he suggested.  

"My name is Starshot, this is my crew" he added, pointing at them. "And you are...?"

Does he even remember his own name?

GM 

The humanoid's eyes darted back and forth between Starshot and the others before fixing back on Starshot as a crazed look came to his face.  "Phalen the Black will not be an easy prey beastie!"  He yelled out as he launched himself at Starshot. 

But the space hunter was ready, and easily sidestepped the wild attack.  A few moments later Starshot and Laark had managed to wrestle the humanoid to the cavern floor.  He continued to frantically struggle, muttering all manner of gibberish as he did.

Starshot

"Phalen the Black?" muttered Starshot, holding him down and not skimping on the exertion of his considerable strength. 

"Phalen! I'm not a beast. Or a beastie!" he shouted. "And I'm not here to hurt you...you need to tell me what's going on!"

He grunted a grunt of frustration. "If I wanted to hurt you, you would be hurt...bad...." he whispered into Phalen's ear, a hiss that blended logic and intimidation. 

He reached for his sedative gun on his utility belt. If the alien wouldn't listen to reason, a couple of shots of Omnised would hopefully do the trick...

GM 

The alien did not calm down at Starshot's urging, so, a few shots of sedative latter the humanoid had stopped struggling and was drifting off the sleep. 

"Well, he's a pleasant one."  Sorren commented sarcastically as she looked down at the unconscious humanoid.  Studying the now still form, Starshot saw a red tattoo on Phalen's upper left arm through a hole in his tattered clothes.  Examining the tattoo, Starshot saw it was a red devil like creature he had seen depicted by a number of space going races, and it was surrounded by white stars.

Looking about Phalen's crude camp reveled a few pieces of advance technology, but upon closer inspection, it all appeared to have drained power cells.  Only his blaster rifle appeared to be fully charged, but there was no sign of any spare power cells for the weapon.  Based on the piles of bones in parts of the camp, it appeared Phalen survived by catching and killing some of the various creatures the group had seen in the cave system.  He had a couple of canteens, both of which were nearly full at the moment.

Starshot

Not one to turn down opportunity, Starshot slung the blaster rifle over his back to join his own Plasma rifle. It wasn't half the masterwork his own weapon was, but an energy rifle was an an energy rifle, and you never knew when you might need one. 

"What do you think this is? Some kind of gang? pirates, maybe?" he pondered out loud. 

He straightened up and grunted. 

"So we get some dead weight and no answers" he said, losing his cool a moment. He kicked a pile of bones in frustration before regaining composure. It was a hard kick, too. 

"Laark, can you carry this guy?" he asked the alien crewmember. "At least till he wakes up. Hopefully he has a few answers when he does. If not, going to cut him loose" he explained. 

"For now, we best try to pick our way to the other side of the cave in, see what we find and hope its not too grim. Shouldn't be far now..." he added, consulting the holo-display. 

GM 

"Probably pirate."  Soreen replied with a bit of a snarl to her lip.  "Maybe even part of the same ones that shot us down, though, looks like he has been out here awhile.  Banished maybe?  Or maybe a rival gang?" 

Laark nodded at Starshot's question.  "I can carry him."  The large alien stated as he knelt down to bind the unconscious alien with some of the rope he had salvage from the boat after they had made landfall. 

Soon the group was moving once more, with Laark carrying the unconscious alien slung over one shoulder.  The passage out of the cavern led to a four way intersection, but Starshot's HUD was able to give them guidance on which way was likely the best to follow.  After a few kilometers, they had come to a number of other intersections and crossroads, making Starshot understand how the alien could feel lost in here.  His HUD certainly was keeping that from happening, but without it things could be very confusing. 

Finally after about half another kilometer, they turned a corner and saw a bright light about a hundred meters ahead.  Even the air in the passage smelled fresher than it had in the other parts of the cavern…

Starshot

"That looks good" said Starshot, keenly. Fresh air and bright light. 

He didn't let his hope overwhelm him, but it was impossible to crush completely. Even with his inhuman stamina, his boots were beginning to grate, and he was founding the caves oppressive. He was no claustrophobic, but how he yearned for open sky. Stars and sunlight, clouds, rain, wind. That was his home, whatever the planet. 

"Keep lively, crew" he said, a hint of optimism in his voice. Morale was important, here, if it started crumbling then their odds would sink too. 

"Might just have a way out of here..."

With that, his boots kept marching. 

GM 

Starshot lead the group forward, as they drew closer, the light grew more blinding and the air was dry and hot.  Shortly they moved into the bright light of the Volturnus sun, stepping out of the cavern and out onto the surface once more.  The cavern exited out into some rocky hills and just below them, the desert stretched out towards the north and northeast.    

It took a few moments for their eyes to adjust to the daylight, but once it had, Starshot saw a camp toward the northwest and quickly realized it was filled with Ul-Mor.  In fact, a small group of Ul-Mor were riding towards the group on lopers.

Starshot

"Sweet sweet sun!" shouted Starshot, dropping to his knees, taking off his helmet, an opening his arms to the skies. He could feel the air on his face, and feel the heat streaming down onto his skin. 

He didn't mind the heat. The cybernetic heat dispersal discs up his spine whirred, keeping him fairly cool - he just loved being outdoors again. 

"If I ever think about hunting underground for the next ten years, you can load me up with Omni-sed!" he laughed at his crew, taking the opportunity to quickly check on Phalen. 

As for the approaching Ul-Mor, Starshot knelt again and offered his forehead for communication....intent on filling them in on their exploits under ground.

GM 

As the group of Ul-Mor drew closer, Starshot recognized Athru in the lead of the group.  Athru dismounted from his loper and moved over toward Starshot and established the telepathic link.  This one is happy to see Star-the-Shot and his companions once more.  Our thanks for helping ensure Kahai and Fonn-Ar returned as well. 

Following the cave in we continued through the caverns and set up camp, hoping that you would be able to find your way out as well.  Now that you have, you may get some rest and then we will continue on to the Place of True Warriors so you can complete the ceremony to become part of the tribe.

Starshot

Thanks for you hospitality and friendship replied Starshot. We shall rest and meditate, under stars and sun, and look forward to the ceremony!

That was that. Just some worn boots and a depleted plasma pack to show for it. 

And Phalen. Who was he?

The Omni-sed should be wearing off soon, by his estimation. At least, enough for consciousness, even is he would be pretty drugged for another few hours. 

He walked over to the alien and tapped him with his boot, this time making sure that Laark was ready. 

"Wake up, my friend! Time for some questions. Like who are you and where do you come from? And what were you doing down that hole?"

GM 

Phalen began to stir as Starshot prodded him back awake.  His eyes blinked as a they opened to the bright light of the desert sun and the alien shielded them from the light.  "Ahhh, Phalen is back in the burning sands!   How did he come to be here?  Want to be back in my caves!"  He cried out, trying to pull away from Starshot and Laark as he curled into a ball. 

"The Red Devils will find Phalen in the burning sands, but they will never find him in his caves."  He muttered to himself.

Starshot

"Red devils? Burning sands?" Starshot felt his sympathy for the alien dribble away. 

He put his boot on the alien's chest and pressed. Not hard to crack ribs, but hard enough to let the alien unambigiously know that he could. 

"Listen, friend. You have a choice. Me and my crew, we could help you get off this planet. That road means you stop jabbering, and start talking. Tell us your story" he said, firm as Zuthan Lightsteel. 

"Because me and my crew, we are under an alien sky, under an alien sun. We marched through dust, deserts, and caves. And let me tell you, very clearly, that my patience is fried. I haven't got time for an alien that jabbers and shoots at me. I could make your life very very painful, and very very short. Now, that's a road you can also choose. You can choose to not help me. That would make me upset. If you knew me, you wouldn't want to make me upset. Not out here..."

GM 

Phalen tried to pull away from Starshot as the space hunter put his boot on the alien’s chest and began to apply some pressure.  But being tied up and helpless he could do little other than do his best to shield his face from the sun despite his obvious discomfort.   

But whether he understood Starshot or not he did not respond, just continued to babble to himself about needed to get back to his caves.   

"He seems rather lost in his own mind."  Soreen commented, looking down at Phalen with a slight bit of sympathy on her face.  "We may not be able to get anything useful from him."

Starshot

Starshot did not feel sympathy. He had seen soldiers and men crack, of course, but he had seen plenty hold it together. Phalen was the former, Starshot was the latter. 

"Useless" he grunted, taking his boot off the alien. "Should have left him in the caves rather than cart him around. He's dead weight" he said, brutality kicking in. This was the brutality of the land kicking in. "Guess we have another mouth to feed and water then". 

He respected Soreen's sympathy but right now he didn't feel it. Pharen was a burden who couldn't pull himself together to help, even a little bit. But even if he didn't feel sympathy, he had a code. They had to look after him now. Damn! On board the Xeno, Starshot would have been a lot more sympathetic. Crashed on an alien landscape with danger everywhere, his sympathies evaporated under the doctrine of survival. 

It put him in a bad mood, though. He didn't like the situation, or his response to it. 

"Lets go then, get this trial of warriors done with. I want to get off this rock!"

GM

"You and me both."  Soreen replied in agreement as she started off with Starshot to follow the Ul-Mor back to where they were camped.  Laark pulled Phalen back up to his feet and began to march after the pair with their new charge in tow.

After a brief bit of rest, they were soon back on the lopers the Ul-Mor had provided them, setting off once more into the desert that stretched out from the rocky hills of the burning lands.  The trip lasting a little over a day, with the tribe camping at one point for the night.  During the trek there was no change in Phalen’s condition, and indeed he tried to escape from the camp at least a couple of times.

Startshot also noted that some of the Ul-Mor had been working on straw dummies for himself and each of his crew.  Athru explained at the quickdeath would retract its eyestalks before it strikes, making it nearly blind.  Thus it could be confused by dummies among other targets and sometimes be tricked into attacking them instead.

Starshot

It was nice to be back in the saddle and give his boots a rest. Even he got blisters. His mood slightly improved, enjoying the open skies again. True, Phalen's babbling and escaping did not please him much, but neither did he feel vexed. A small - or perhaps more than small - part of him enjoyed the primitive oneness with nature, free from plasma rifles and warp drives. 

He paid due attention, silently, to the quickdeath and the tactics against it. Momentary blindness. He would bear that in mind, and keep it carefully considered. Fearsome as the quickdeath sounded, the prospect of such a hunt was gnawing at him. An excitement, a list. 

Until then, he kept the crew fed and watered, and as healthy as he could manage with his medical expertise and supplies. Not the time to get an infection or disease of one form or another. But this was a waiting game until they arrived, a time to focus and recuperate, mind locked on the task ahead, keen to learn what he could. 

And with that in mind he spent the remainder of the journey a student, asking the Ul-Mor as much as he could, or dared, about the quickdeath...

GM

Starshot found opportunities to communicate with Athru or Kahai as they continued their trek across the hot desert sands.  From what he was able to gain from his discussions, he learned the quickdeath was a quadrupedal predator, with a long, flexible neck and powerful jaws.  It possessed four eyes, each on its own eyestalk.  In addition to its jaws, each of the claws on its four legs were long and sharp and it had a number of tentacle like appendages that extended from its sides that it used to try to grab prey.  Its hide was covered in a reflective armor, which helped conceal it in the desert sands.

He also learned that while the tribe would provide them spears if they wished to use them, they were also free to use whatever weapons they possessed.  The Ul-Mor appear to feel that the "One" has provide Starshot and his crew with their strange devices to compensate for their lack of additional limbs.

About midway through the second day, the Ul-Mor tribe stops in some rocky hills, setting up their camp.  Athru and other Ul-Mor riders inform you that the Place of True Warriors is a short distance to the north of the hills and that it is time for the Ritual of Manhood.  They offer spears for any that want them, provide you with the straw dummies that will help them and then lead you toward the ritual site.

Starshot

Starshot would certainly not turn down the offer of a spear against a quadraped. A useful and simple weapon, held, braced, or thrown. Using Phalens Blaster rifle was certainly a thought, too. Getting the first shot in appealed. 

But no, damn that. This was a primitive culture and a noble one. No energy weapons. Just muscle, sinew, and spear. That was the only way. 

Starshot discarded his belt and rifles. This would be done the right way. He took a couple of spears, and some dummies and nodded. 

"I am ready"

GM

Seeing Starshot forgo using the blaster rifle he obtained from Phalen, Laark also leaves his blaster pistol in its holster with an Ul-Mor as he takes a couple of spears and shoulders his large club.  Soreen looks at the pair and shakes her head slightly, grabbing a spear as well, but she leaves her blaster pistol at her hip.  "I hope you two do not expect me to try this only with a spear."  She commented as the three moved out into the sand and set up the straw dummies.

Athru gave the group a signal of best wishes and then he and the other Ul-Mor moved back a short distance away, where they could observe, but be away from the site of the test.  Several Ul-Mor blew horns they had with them, the deep bass of the sound echoing across the sands.

For what seemed like endless minutes, nothing happened.  Starshot and his crew stood under the blazing sun, looking out at the sands around them.  Then, Starshot spotted movement, a large form moving quickly across the sands.  As it drew closer, he saw a large four legged creature that resembled the description of the quickdeath.  It was a fearsome sight, a speedy armored predator that was headed their way, its two sets of tentacles (three in each set) whipping around its sides as it closed….