Dreamweaver (OOC)

Blarghy

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, here's how this works:

Presto's now under the influence of the Dream Control power.  He doesn't know this, obviously, but I've decided to be up-front about it since I'm not using the standard rules (yet).  As written, he shouldn't even have a chance to disbelieve the "illusions" unless given a reason to be suspicious of them, but this particular villain is "nudging" Presto's mind rather than outright directing his dreams.  We're going to do a series of short scenes, with one Will Save per scene, as it transitions from one dream to the next.  If you win, you decide how the current dream ends and what the next scene becomes.  If you fail, the villain successfully brings the desired topic to Presto's unconscious mind, forcing him to play through it (and, in the process, learning things that Presto would probably rather he didn't).  Note that this could be a fun opportunity to show aspects of Presto, his history, motivations, hopes, fears, and so on, that might otherwise be difficult to flesh out in a regular adventure.

First scene is Presto's past as a Vegas magician.  Post as you wish (I assume he'll take the stage and start his usual act from the old days), and we'll see how it goes from here.  Whatever details you choose, I need your first Will Save, DC20.

Also, if you succeed, you can assume that Presto also "rolled" well on whatever else he tries to do in the scene.  A superb performance, for example.  Failure may cause the crowd to be less cooperative.

Well, hadn't planned for this so soon, but when the situation's perfect, then what else can you do?

Give me another Will Save, DC15 this time.  Failure means that Presto suffers Wisdom Drain, of the amount by which your roll fails (the mods have told me that we use Ultimate Power rules here, which is good news for Presto's brain). 

Furthermore, if you do fail, then Presto entirely forgets about the unpleasant aspects of this dream.  He'll remember his successful performance, up to the last trick, and then Knickknack's approach, but not the bits in between.

...Ok, let's call this a learning experience on my part, to be applied to any future games I run.  If it's any consolation, I've got contingencies in place by the end; there's a limit to just how bad Presto's situation can get, and death is never an option on these forums unless you deliberately set it up, anyway.

I also forgot to award you a Hero Point for the villain getting in past Presto's home defenses.  I'm a little fuzzy on the rules anyway, with how his setup of Powers would usually interact with your Headquarters features, but wow do you need all the help I can give with Orokos on your back like this.

Name       HPs   Initiative    Damage      Status Conditions

Presto       4       N/A              None            Ability Drain (Wisdom, -5)

Adept        1       N/A              None            Fatigued

That's nice to hear.  Still, I hope Presto can get a happy ending...though sometimes the heroes have to settle for seeking justice another day.  Perhaps we'll have to arrange a sequel. 

In any case, give me another Will Save, DC20.  Sadly, with a bonus to reflect his now-negative-Wisdom; I believe it should be a +4.  Fingers crossed for ya.

Ok, last Will Save, DC20.  Transition the dream in your next post either way.  If you succeed, choose the destination--hopefully something uplifting, to Presto, so that he can show Adept he's wrong.  If you fail, take the dream back to Presto's apartment, where the adventure started. 

• 2 weeks later...

And we're back!  Presto has been updated with the points you wanted, so we can now give him a chance to use his new costume.

You get yet another Hero Point for GM Fiat, because any attack capable of destroying Presto's enhanced door in a reasonable timeframe would then go onto utterly trash him in combat, so I'm just gonna have it happen.  However, in the process, the thugs waste their surprise round and take another full round on top of that, so not only is Presto now awake, he has a bit of time to prepare before enemies enter his apartment.  I also assume that upon entering, Presto's Snare defense will take effect on all four enemies (DC20 Reflex, I believe?), yes?

In any case, decide on what he'll do in his free round, and roll initiative!

Initiative: 1d20+2 8

Initiative: 1d20+1 13

Initiative: 1d20+1 18

Initiative: 1d20+1 9

Presto       5       ???              None            Ability Drain (Wisdom, -5)

Alpha Thug        8                  None            None

Shotgun Thug    9                 None            None

Pistol Thug 1     13                None            None

Pistol Thug 2     18                None            None

You have 5 Hero Points; I record them on the status chart, under the "HPs" line.  Here it is again, updated with Presto's Initiative.

Presto       5       19               None            Ability Drain (Wisdom, -5)

Pistol Thug 2     18                None            None

Pistol Thug 1     13                None            None

Shotgun Thug    9                 None            None

Alpha Thug        8                 None            None

So yes, you have enough Hero Points to breeze through this conflict like a lucky god of war, if you choose--though I'll remind you that this isn't the final scene of the game.

I'll do a brief description post, but nothing new will really happen yet, since it's now Presto's turn again at the start of Round 2. Mechanically speaking, Presto's clever use of Move Object creates an area of Heavy Obstruction in front of the door that halves movement speeds, unless you had something else in mind.

Edited by Blarghy

Afraid you'll have to, since it's part of your character.  On the bright side, none of the bad guys are expecting ghostly chains to attack out of nowhere, so the first use of it can count as a Sneak Attack.  That roll, at least, should succeed unless you're supremely unlucky.  ...For what little comfort that's worth.  :P

Only give me one Snare roll for now, in addition to whatever Presto's doing.  It'll save a bit of time.  The other thugs may behave differently depending on what happens to their first friend through the door, so I'll determine their actions after seeing how yours play out. 

...If, uh...if it's any consolation, you came really close!

Let's see how much pain that lightning bolt inflicts, though.

Toughness: 1d20+7 24

Well, that's a Bruise, at least.  I assume that Presto, being the hero he is, is using nonlethal attacks, so no Injury levels.  Since it's a forum policy and whatnot. 

The other thugs behind their leader delay their actions (since there's nothing they can do until the door is clear), so the alpha goes next.  He moves to the edge of the rough terrain Presto created (but doesn't have enough feet-per-action to get "out" of it) and makes use of his Fearsome Presence feat.  The next thug "in line" moves through the door to one side of the leader and fires at Presto.  The last two thugs follow, putting them in the room (clustered around the doorway), but do not have clear lines of sight to attack yet.  They are, however, within range of the Snare. 

Pistol Attack: 1d20+4 23

That's, ah...not a critical, so, y'know, there's that.  :$

What I need from you now:

A Will Save against the Fearsome Presence, DC11.  Be sure to remember Presto's Wisdom Drain, which I believe drops his bonus to +4.

A Toughness Save against the pistol bullet, DC18.

Three more Snare attacks.

And Presto's actions for the beginning of the next round.  If you wish to wait and see who the Snare hits before you decide what to do, then that's fine.

Presto       5       19               None            Ability Drain (Wisdom, -5)

Alpha Thug        8                 Bruise 1       None

Pistol Thug 2     7                 None            None

Pistol Thug 1     7                 None            None

Shotgun Thug   7                 None            None

Edited by Blarghy

I told ya; Orokos was just biding its time.

Ok, here we go.  Sorry for the delay.

Pistol Thug 1: Reflex: 1d20+4 16

Pistol Thug 2: Reflex: 1d20+4 10

Shotgun Thug: Reflex: 1d20+4 17

Nice.  So two of the thugs are Entangled, and one is now Helpless.  I'll update the chart accordingly.

Alpha Thug        8                 Bruise 1       None

Pistol Thug 2     7                 None            Helpless

Pistol Thug 1     7                 None            Entangled

Shotgun Thug   7                 None            Entangled

Toughness: 1d20+6 17

Not only is that another Bruise, the leader is now Dazed, and thus loses his action for this round!  But two of the other thugs can still attack, even if they probably won't be very effective.

Pistol Attack: 1d20+2 16

Shotgun Attack: 1d20+2 11

Yup, that sounds about right.  Back to Presto!

Adept        1       N/A              None           Fatigued

Alpha Thug        8                 Bruise 2       Dazed

Pistol Thug 2     7                 None            Helpless

Pistol Thug 1     7                 None            Entangled

Shotgun Thug   7                 None            Entangled