Dreamweaver (OOC)

Blarghy

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Orokooooooos!  Let's see if Adept has any better luck, especially now that Bailey's Toughness is slipping.

Toughness: 1d20+11 22

Juuuust made it.  That's another Bruise, but the Daze goes away, and it's back to Presto (after I post IC, of course).

Name       HPs   Initiative    Damage                                          Status Conditions

Bailey        N/A   16                Staggered, Bruised 3                      None

Adept        1       15                None                                               None

Presto       0       5                  None                                               Ability Drain (Wisdom, -5)

Alright.  Back to Bailey then, and since Adept has finally given him some grief and Presto isn't, at the moment, inflicting any pain, I think it's only fair for him to take a swing at the government agent. 

Attack: 1d20+7 14

Not that it matters who he aims at, apparently.  Warne will encourage him not to do that again.

Toughness: 1d20+10 17

Another Bruise and he's once again Dazed.  I'm so, so glad that Bailey didn't go down from that hit; it would've been really unfair to Presto.  I'm hoping he'll get to deal the finishing blow.

Name       HPs   Initiative    Damage                                          Status Conditions

Bailey        N/A   16                Staggered, Bruised 4, Dazed          None

Adept        1       15                None                                               None

Presto       0       5                  None                                               Ability Drain (Wisdom, -5)

Toughness: 1d20+9 28

:$

Well that sucks.  I'm tempted to GM Fiat it, but that would be pretty cheap.  Sometimes these things happen, I guess. 

Adept will, as you put it, do more of the same. 

Toughness: 1d20+9 20

Another Bruise and he's still Dazed.  So...yay for the status quo, I guess!  We'll get him eventually, even if it's only because we drain his Toughness so low that he *can't* make either of our DCs!

Bailey        N/A   16                Staggered, Bruised 5, Dazed          None

Fingers crossed.

Toughness: 1d20+8 27

Oh come on!  Alright, time for the big guns.  Adept will move into melee range and use Extra Effort/his one Hero Point to turn his psychokinesis power into Drain Toughness (Extras: No Save (Defense)).  Essentially, Drain Toughness (Extras: Perception); they both add up the same.  It can't miss, though Bailey may resist. 

Fortitude: 1d20+11 14

That's a -11 penalty, though I think it should only bring his bonus to a +0; I'm not sure about the legitimacy of making it an overall penalty.  In any event, Bailey is no longer Dazed, but it hopefully won't matter. 

Bailey        N/A   16                Staggered, Bruised 5,                     Trait Drain (Toughness -11)

Adept        0       15                None                                               None

...You know those jokes that are pretty bad, and only get worse as that one annoying friend repeats them over and over again, until eventually it's so unfunny that it becomes funny?  That's Orokos. 

Bailey will try to introduce Adept to some knuckles. If he puts the psychic down, I'm going to laugh myself sick.

Attack: 1d20+7 10

Orokos says you get a three!  And you get a three!  And when Adept uses his regular psychokinesis again, Orokos says Bailey gets a...

Toughness: 1d20+0 4

Well, that's that.  I wanted Presto do wrap it up, but at least he took out Baku.  That was cool.  Combat is now over, and we are more or less in the game's epilogue. 

Name       HPs   Initiative      Damage      Status Conditions

Adept        0       N/A                None            None

Presto       0       N/A                None            Ability Drain (Wisdom -5)

Edited by Blarghy

And that's the game!  I'm quite pleased that we managed to see it through to the end, and I hope you had as much fun as I did.  Originally I planned to put up my notes and the villain stats once we finished, but they're so garbled, edited, and noted with side-thoughts that I don't particularly want to compile them into something readable.  Besides, I shouldn't give you Baku's stats because he may very well be back for Presto in a future adventure. 

On the other hand, you are totally free to go back through this OOC thread and check out the spoiler boxes you couldn't reach the first time around.  I'll also mention a few things I learned from the experience, and I hope you'll also let me know what did or did not work well for you, so that I can keep it in mind for any other games I run.

1) I was wise to plan out several different avenues that Presto might travel down, depending on his rolls and choices.  I was not wise to think he'd actually use them.  :P  A tactic that served me better was to get a tentative feel for the NPCs so that I could decide how they'd react relatively easily, and then be willing to improvise. 

2) Immunity to an attack is a poor substitute for immunity plus relatively decent bonuses to save for it.  While it was quite awesome when Presto took out the dream-demon in one heroic attack, Baku clearly wouldn't have been a good villain for the final confrontation.  Bailey went on a little too long, but the next time I bring in Baku, even if he still works mostly from the shadows, I'll want him to be a bit tougher.  If nothing else, I previously didn't know that using Extra/Ultimate Effort to gain a Power Feat let you keep it for the entire encounter; I suspected that Presto might get a shot off that way, if he wasn't able to learn the demon's vulnerability, so I originally wanted to keep his save low so that such an attack wouldn't likely be a waste of Hero Points. 

3) Orokos is an unreliable bastard and should in no way be expected to play along.  Surprisingly nice rolls made for some great moments, and terrible rolls were occasionally funny, but in the future I should have contingency plans for when the dice refuse to cooperate.  I wasn't entirely unprepared this time, but I'll keep it more firmly in mind next time.  Of course...

4) ...The heroes don't have to win at everything.  I figured you'd put down Baku, but having him escape gives us some new options, and puts a bittersweet twist to the ending.  Sometimes losing can make for a good story.  I wouldn't often want to plan for the PCs to fail, but it's no fun to eliminate all potential for it and lose any sense of risk.  I think I should instead consider what different sorts of failure might mean for the story so that it doesn't grind to a halt because of one (or a dozen) bad rolls. 

5)  Because for real, Orokos is evil. 

Anyway, Dreamweaver is concluded!  Whichever mod comes across these two threads should feel free to archive them.