Exes and Ohs OOC

angrydurf

Whoever grabs the letter it reads as follows in Aces Looping script.

Spoiler

Dear Friends,

Or enemies as the case may have it.  As you have learned I have had to take my leave of this lovely land, certain agreements the Lady Karakos is rather insistent I fulfill that would be to say the least difficult to accept.  I go now to look in on a good friend of mine from my time in the service, If you were there you know the one, he had that dashing goatee and eyepatch.  If you followed me here you ought have no difficulty finding me there after all.  See you soon.

Ace

P.S.  If you are an enemy I suggest inquiring with the Lady Karakos in my name.

That info will give a good clue to Dimitri or Talya where he fled to if they make a DC 15 int check, Otherwise Dimitri cna try to trace with a know-arcane check and the dagger.

That'll do.  The war was a busy place but there's a much more limited subset of people from the war from other dimensions and only one with the described look.  Ib'n Al' Faziar  The Spectacular Steam Sheikh!  He came from some world where early arabic discovery of steam power unlocked fantastic steamworks by the era of the war.  Dimitri may have even aided the ritual to get him home after he aided the north african campaign.

• 3 weeks later...

It's a blend of magic and alternate timeline technology.  Elemental magics are used to enhance materials which in turn allow outrageous steamworks and sonic devices like out of a pulp novel.  The magics well studied enough that they are more another discipline of science than the mystic arts of Prime.  Likewise electricity, electronics, radio technologies were either never developed or underperformed by comparison.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

DC 25 Physical sciences check to Identify the effect on the book from the description DC 20 for Eric who can see it directly.

DC 15 Pop Culture check to recognize the book itself.

The Magic of the dimensional transporter is not able to translate it but Eric can read the first portion.  The initial words are simple words like "test, Test?"  followed by, "This is SO cool!" then assorted conversations one might expect twelve year olds to have when texting late at night when they were supposed to be sleeping.  One writer is clearly Ace the other seems to be Rahim Johnny Dangers young Persian ward from the jungle patrol serials and if he reads it out that tidbit will be worth +2 circumstance bonus on the Pop Culture check.

I could have sworn I had pop culture on Bombshell. Ah well. Clearly dropped in one of the many rebuilds. I'll burn an HP to get a +5 on her roll for pop culture as she should really recognize that book: 18

Can't make the physical Sciences one I don't think as her bonus would only be +2 there. 

Alright Making hte pop culture check reveals that this is Half of a Pair of books Ace and rahim pocketed on and adventure where the Jungle Patrol helped the Time Keepers track down a fugitive from a distant dystopian future some kind of Eugenics experiment gone wrong.  Whats written in one book also appears in the other Doctor Daka Speculated they were entangled on some deep subatomic level by their trips through the timestream.  Ace and Rahim usd it to pass secret messages for years and judging from the intimacy of the later bits that stopped with the end of their relationship.  the Arabic is probably messages he's passed with the young Captain and the last looks like after the final battle the captain trying to get in touch with Ace to no success.

Making the Physical Sciences check reveals they are in fact some how super sciency quantum entangled and thus they are much like a single book that is in both places at once. 

So since this book is both here and wherever Ace went, probably, it could be used to trace his final jump.

Feel free to react as you wish to the messier details of immortal love gone very wrong in the later portions of the part Eric can read.

DC 25 Notice checks in case anyone is creeping around out there as one does...

the curtains don't hide much but the gauzey material does distort faces enough to be hard to recognize for certain.  The man's hair looks darker than Aces but then again Ace is not above dye jobs and the heavy shadows in the room add to the mystery.

So Frost can beat Aces disguise check on a Notice 21 or better given his familiarity with Jack and ace as well as his mystic senses.  Eric beats the disguise check with Skill mastery if he goes in the room and looks him over due to his familiarity with Jack and Ace.  Talya could break the disguise check on a DC 28 Notice due to her familiarity with Ace and his Hijinks.