Silberman's Books. Friday, February 5th, 2016. 1:30 PM.

There was a gentle tapping on the door to Lynn's office; the changeling looked up from her computer and called out, "Come in!"

Her assistant manager Kiki stepped timidly inside; today she wore a straw boater for some reason. "Do you have a minute? it's...it's kind of important."

"Sure, sure, have a seat! What's up?"

Kiki took the offered seat, then just stared down at her boots for several seconds until Lynn grew concerned.

"Is...everything alright, Keek?"

The dancer slowly shook her head. "No. No it is not." She looked up and Lynn, the woman she used to think of as one of her best friends, and sighed. "And it hasn't been for some time."

By now, Lynn was very worried and she began to get up from her seat. "Omigod, what's wrong? Is your mom-"

Kiki motioned for her boss to keep her seat. "It's nothing like that. it's just...this isn't working for me anymore." She indicated the books on the wall with a wave of her hand. "The store, working for you..."

And suddenly things became much more clear. "This is about the Mrs. Nussbaum thing, isn't it?"

"No. Well, yes, kind of; it's when things first started going off the rails."

"You're quitting, aren't you?"

"Yes, I am. After the Nussbaum thing, I said I would give it a year; if things went back to normal within a year, i would stick around, but they haven't, so..." Then took a deep breath and forged ahead. "if anything, they've gotten worse; you made Gretchen your 'personal crime-fighting assistant', and now we're always butting heads about everything. And then you hire this bizarre wizard character-"

"Magician, actually."

"Without even consulting me, which just proves my opinion means nothing to you anymore." Tears were now welling up in her eyes. "And I've been shot, and everyone but me has super-powers, and I don't feel safe. And I don't even know you anymore."

Lynn didn't say anything for a long time, stung with guilt over how badly she'd treated her friend over the past year. Finally, she spoke, her voice choked with emotion. "I am...so sorry, Keek. Do you...do you have anything set up? Another offer?"

Kiki slowly nodded. "Yes. James Dupont of the Riverside Dance Company asked me to be assistant director; I already said yes"

All other thoughts flew away as the bookseller could only be happy for her friend. "Keek, that's, that's huge! Congratulations!"

Despite herself, Kiki smiled warmly at Lynn. "I know. And thanks."

But then the feelings of loss and helplessness returned. "But what am I gonna do? Without you-"

"Without me, Gretchen will make an amazing assistant manager; you know it, i know it, and sadly she really knows it. You'll do fine."

"I guess...so is this goodbye goodbye, or...?"

"I'll still come around; because you know-"

And they said it at the same time, through big, goofy tear-stained grins.

"Former employees always save fifteen percent!"

Edited by Heritage