Hunter and Prey

Brown Dynamite

Woodsman kept the bow aimed between the four men, knowing that just because those men weren't on the scam didn't mean they wouldn't shoot an intruder. "S'bomb," he warned them, "Don't try it." He focused his gaze on the guard who seemed to know something, locking his dark eyes on his. "Could save me an arrow and talk now, man. Prolly keep your friends outta jail too. Smugglin' drugs is a whole thing on Prime, 'n plus there's a man dead already. You gonna do it?" 

GM

"Are you going to listen to this whackjob?"  The guard protested when the other three turned to look at him hesitantly.  "He's clearly some sort of crazed supervillain.  Think about it.  Threats about bombs, crazy lies about smuggling,  I bet he's the guy who killed Ken earlier too!"

The accused guard was attempting to turn the hesitant group of guards on his side.  It wasn't a hard image to paint when they were being threatened by an unseen figure.  Of course it was all bravado.  Taking a few steps back while shouting his plea it was clear, to the Woodsman at least, that if the accused guard failed to get his coworkers on his side.  He was going to make a run for it.

"I'm not a supervillain," hissed Riley, "I'm...the goddamned Woodsman! You can look in the damn crates if you want," he said to the guards, gesturing with his shoulder without actually deflecting his arm from the target. "And call the cops if you want." He stepped aside, taking a risk as he vanished further into the shadows, letting the guards get access to the crates. He moved through the darkness, quickly and quietly, as silent as he would be in a dark room full of Ferals, and came up directly behind his target - bow just a few inches from his back.

"All right, pal, you and I are going on a little walk while your friends call the cops," he growled.  

• 2 weeks later...

GM

The guard didn't fight it as Woodsman silently led him away from any witnesses.  Only when they were a good distance away did he utter a response.  "Y'know you don't have to do this.  If it's money you want I can give you stacks of bills, man.  We go back get rid of those other guys and it'll be cool."  Another awkward moment of silence passed and the guard began to plead.  "I have kids, please don't kill me, man."

The guard still hadn't caught sight of Woodsman.  He did seem to genuinely believe that it was some sort of rival criminal that had taken him capture and wasted little time in trying to negotiate a deal that didn't end with an arrow in his back.

"Are you dense? Are you stupid or something?" Riley hissed, irrational anger flaring for a moment at the man's fear. "I told you - I'm a goddamned superhero!" When they were between two buildings, far enough back that someone would have to shine a flashlight directly at them to see them, Woodsman growled, "Tell me who your boss is so I can go kick his ass and put an end to this crazy murder drug stuff you people are running. He doesn't have to know it was you. Or I'll just find out who he is another way," he added, his voice sharp and hard as the shining blade of a crossbow bolt's head, "and then he'll know for a goddamned fact it was you." 

• 2 weeks later...

GM

"Okay, okay you're a superhero."  The guard replied his voice sounding uncertain all the while.  "Look, you didn't hear this from me.  But, there's this old army guy.  Something Brasswell.  I don't know his whole deal, just that he got an 'early retirement'.  Look he has a cabin in the pines, just off Wharton.  He brought me in, he brings everyone in really.  You don't get a choice, he...has things on people."

The guard wasn't expressing regret as the answer came out of his mouth.  It was an odd mix of self preservation and self justification.  The look in his eyes of pure terror made clear one thing.  He was certain the godammned Woodsman was going to kill him if he didn't comply.

"Right." Woodsman worked the lever on his crossbow and shot the man in the stomach, the partially-pulled string meaning he only penetrated an inch or two into the man's stomach with the sedative-laden bolt. The guard opened his mouth, eyes wide in terror, and then slumped to the ground without a further sound. "Ah geez, he crapped himself," muttered Riley in a tone of mild annoyance, putting his gloved hand over his mouth as he studied his handiwork. "Well, that's that, I guess...time to find a guy in the woods." That was one thing Woodsman did very well, he decided as he headed out to find where he'd left his bike, putting the unfortunate guard behind him.