A Slow Parade

angrydurf

Ellis frowned at Ray both for his rather crude take on human courtship and the more direct needling about his grooming.  He was about to respond but Fleur sidetracked him with her oblique complement and he flashed her a small smile before focusing back on Ray once more.  The doctor crossed his arms at the display of power and nodded to Fluers question.  "Yes you clearly have something to say if in the most irksome manner you can manage."  he inquired testily and huffed out a breath.  This nonsense was why most sane docs trade out of ER hours.

Ray shrugged and then winced a little. Oh, it was much better thanks to Fleur's magic and, thanks to her, he'd probably be able to actually work tomorrow rather than canceling half a dozen appointments. "I don't mind answering the question. I actually already answered it, but the good doctor just doesn't believe me." It had been an oblique, sidelong comment and he smiled faintly at Ellis's nettled responses. "I already told him I was on the side of the angels."

He transferred that lopsided smile to Fleur, "And I have been for a very long time."

Fleur studied Ray's face for a long moment, unsmiling, hardly blinking. She prided herself on her ability to spot a liar, but if Ray was lying, he was much better at the game than she was. "Well I won't say I don't believe you," she finally told him, "cause I know there's more things in heaven and earth than are dreamed of in my philosophy. Plus, I've got a friend who's an angel, and I know a couple of guys who became temporary horsemen of the apocalypse. But it's still not something you see every day. Do you know an angel named Heyzel, came down to Earth a few years back?"

Ellis let out an exasperated sigh, "No you are..."  he paused and looked to Fleur and her acceptance of the mans claims raising a brow, "Really?  I kinda thought that was a gimmick, like an actual fluffy cloud heaven angel?"  he asked incredulously.  He paused to address Ray just in case, "No offense suffice to say life's events have left my faith in an all loving all powerful deity more than a little bruised."  He'd really rather not get into that whole realm nor the circular theological debates of the faithful so he offered a non-plussed shrug, "If you believe him I'll not argue."  he said gently to Fleur and raised a brow, "but he really doesn't fit the bill."  he pointed out idly.

"Ahhhh.... Yeah. Nice kid." Ray commented about Heyzel, although something certainly flickered across his features. It wasn't quite guilt or deceit. Embarrassment, maybe. He gave a little shake of his head and then turned his attention more fully to Ellis, and the pain buried in his words. "There is good in the world and evil too. Good doesn't always win out and life is often both capricious and cruel."

He shifted in his chair then, pulling his long legs under him and rising to his full height. He was tall and lean as he reached for his shirt. Perhaps it might be a good plan to make an escape before Heyzel was called in. "I'm not quite an angel at the moment so its reasonable to not see a striking resemblance. I'm... hmm. On sabbatical." That was not quite the truth but close at least. "Of sorts."

Fleur's level gaze was entirely too analytical for comfort as she watched Ray get himself together. She pulled one of the flowers from her hair and twiddled it idly in her fingers. "On sabbatical could mean a lot of things, for an angel," she pointed out mildly. "And not all of them are very good. I believe you that you want to be doing good, but we've had some bad problems in the past trying to deal with visitors from the heavenly -and otherwise- realms. We want to help you, but you need to be as truthful with us as possible, for everyone's safety. When you say you're on sabbatical, and you don't want to talk to Heyzel... are you a fallen angel?" she guessed. 

Ellis fixed ray a steely gaze, "I've had enough of that debate with people to know it's not worthwhile."  he stated edgily and shrugged moving on, "Theology aside, as much as it can be in this conversation,"  he suggested with some care as he glanced to Fluer, "I and it sounds like Fluer as well would feel more comfortable with less caggy half answers."  the Doctor intimated as he stepped aside and started in on the discharge paperwork.  Either way this guy would be leaving sooner rather than later.

He turned back at Fleurs more pointed question and nodded agreement, "Even on sabbatical I'm sure you can understand our concerns."  he said pleasantly though not warmly, a specialty of doctors as it turned out.

"Ehhh... that's a loaded term that can be inferred several different ways," Ray replied as he tucked his shirt in once more. It wasn't so much that he was unwilling to answer, as that he didn't actually know a brief way to condense angelic politics into human terms. "Heyzel's a nice kid. I like him. He's optimistic as only the young really can manage but, no, I don't really want to talk to him."

That was true, but still without the sort of fear that the demonic probably should have for Heyzel. He frowned at Ellis's stern responses, and pointed out, "There are some concepts that don't track well to this language. I'm not what most of my brethren would call fallen. I haven't committed any grave sins nor am I allied with anything demonic. I am... I am 'learning a lesson'." Ray finally pronounced as if the words should have meant more than they did, or that there were capital letters involved. "Lessons that involve my current meat shell. It's very scintillating, I assure you, but I am no more predisposed to cause humans any harm than I was before my 'vacation'."

Fleur cocked her head and listened attentively to the semi-angelic being, while keeping half an eye on Ellis as well. He seemed especially tense, and she wasn't sure if it was because he was uncomfortable mixing his work and heroing life, or if he just didn't like Ray, or if there was something else going on there. But he was sticking to his professionalism, which she had to give him credit for. "So what lesson are you supposed to be learning?" she asked Ray when he was finished. It seemed like important information.

"Wish I knew," Ray replied with a long-suffering sigh. He offered Fleur a slow, lopsided smile before turning to set his discarded icepack neatly on the edge of the sink, "Something about humanity, I presume, and living a mortal life but at least I can make it a little easier on myself with the..."

Ray trailed off, one hand lifted in half gesture towards the tattoos. Damn, Fleur was too easy to talk to. The angel had clearly said more than he'd meant as his expression tightened before he sighed, "Ah. Damn." It was a mild enough cuss word as English went but probably fairly profound when an angel muttered it. Even a disreputable angel.

Ellis listened carefully to the angels words, he may have lacked Fluers skills with people but he wasn't without his own understanding of people and could well enough read between the lines.  "So not sent to learn to better value creation so much as perhaps to understand it."  he mused with a smirk creeping to his lips as he looked over the enochian tattoos now more visible that he knew what to look for.  He cocked his head at the last answer to Fluers line of questioning and the slip as well and a small laugh broke his veneer, "Ah sent to experiance the mortal life and yet you use magic to unlock or ape your lost celestial might."  he suggested with a  questioning brow as he glanced to Fluer, "So it seems at the least not Fallen if a bit of a Renegade."

"It's hard to get used to not having powers, once you're accustomed to them," Fleur put in with a sympathetic smile. "I'm sure Heyzel would understand that, he's pretty easygoing, for a messenger of the Almighty." She chuckled. "And maybe getting those tattoos shows that you've already learned a couple of lessons about human nature. Do you have what you need to get by?" she asked. Ray's clothes didn't give much clue to his current financial state, except that he was definitely going to need a new shirt. "A place to stay, food, clothes? I know the transition from world to world can be tough." 

"Yeah, a bit like that," Ray agreed with an amused smile before it gentled slightly at Fleur's question. Reaching into one pocket, he pulled out a business card, "You're a sweet kid, you know that? I've been in exile, oh, since the late seventies. Recent enough as I clock such things but not so much by the measure of you folk. Long enough, though, to have a respectable business over in Riverside, though."

He held the card out between two fingertips and grinned, "Ever want to get some ink, best place in Freedom City," he said as if it were fact rather than pride. He slanted his gaze to Ellis then, his brows arching, "On the house for you, Fleur. Half price for the grumpy man with the crush on you, though."

Ellis flipped through Rays file at Fluers question effectively confirming the mans explanation with the insurance and billing information on file he certainly was a healthy stride from being on the dole.  He wasn't near as certain going without powers was such a grand loss though there were without a doubt benefits to them.  None the less that hardly seemed a suitable line of debate and then his overthinking it all took its toll as Ray slyly poked at his interest in Fluer.  He huffed out a sigh, "Glad to see high school doesn't end even for the ageless and ancient."  he murmured refusing to be baited by the juvenile label for his affections or the flirtatious offers of the angel.  He stole a glance at Fluer and shook his head slightly, "Not particularly relevant to my interests but a kind gesture to be sure."  he finally sighed lightly, this long night was not made shorter by the angelic interlude as interesting a diversion as it could have been.

Fleur smiled as she took the card and tucked it away in her belt pouch. "I'll keep that in mind," she promised. "My body's not quite as human as it used to be, I'm not entirely sure I could get a tattoo if I wanted one. But it might be fun!" She concentrated on the flower she was still holding, watching as it grew to the size of a saucer, then stuck her hand in it to retrieve a card of her own. She passed it to Ray. "Here, in case you ever run into anything that the League could help out with," she offered, "or if you'd just like to meet some new people." She was fairly sure Ray didn't socialize with the superhero community, otherwise she'd at least know of him. The card had Fleur de Joie's name on it with the Freedom League Auxiliary symbol, the League's switchboard number, a number that was personal to Fleur, an email address, and a Facebook community. It smelled like fresh flowers. "How are those bruises feeling now?" 

"Well, that is something of my speciality. Normal ink wouldn't really want to stay on my skin either." Ray agreed with a friendly smile and extended his hands slightly, as if he were showing off the mystic tattoos. Which, really, he was. Ray was nothing if not a craftsman proud of his work. He accepted the card, taking the growth of the giant flower in stride as he slipped her card into his much more mundane wallet. "Thanks, I'm feeling much better. Even better than pain killers."

At that, he gave Ellis a little pat on the shoulder, seeming to be cheered by the doctor's grumping in return. "Alright, alright, I'll clear out of your hair, then. Satisfied I am not of the devil?" He asked with arched brows, still bemused by that. "And if you ever want any pointers on what to do with an actual demonic possession, you know where to find me, doc."

Ellis nodded assent, "As bedeviling as you may be it is clearly a matter of that which you nurture rather than your nature."  he suggested with a small smirk as he signed off on the discharge paperwork.  He had been prepared enough for Fluers display of power as well as her statement on her not quite humanity enough that any remaining surprise over such was hidden in his filling of the paperwork.  His smile was gentle and genuine as he turned to her, "An thank you for your time I'm sure there are more pleasant ways you might have spent your evening than assuaging this old mans conscience."  he joked lightly and nodded to Ray, "I'll be sure to keep that in mind when next I find a strange man covered in enochian in my ER."  he teased with a small smile.

"That's good," Fleur told Ray with a nod. "Remember what I said about water and rest, even if you are an angelic being. Staying hydrated and rested doesn't hurt anybody! And don't be a stranger." 

She turned to Ellis. "Oh no, believe me, I was more than happy to help out," Fleur assured Ellis. "If I'd expected to wind up administrating a farm colony when I grew up, I'd have done more to overcome my fear of livestock! But as it is, any excuse to get away from those chores is good. Sooo... what are you doing later?" she asked, voice light enough that he could demur and she could pass it off as a joke, if desired. 

"More mortal than not, I need both water and rest. Though it might be a bit more beer and napping on the couch," Ray added with a small smile. He looked between Fleur and Ellis and their interactions but this time, he confined his commentary to a single eye roll. 

"I can see my presence is no longer needed." Ray added with amusement and he reached out for his discharge paperwork. "Nice to meet you both. Enjoy your... evening."

Ray amended his words to something much less teasing although the amusement remained in his eyes before he vanished in a bright flash of light. After all, if everyone knew what he was, there was no reason to walk and Ray was nothing if not willing to utilize his powers when he could get away with it.

Ellis flashed a dimpled smile at Fleurs humor and artfully ignored Rays eye rolling merely holding out the paperwork and offering a professionally courteous, "You're good to go, have a nice day and don't forget to follow up with your primary care physician."  

With Rays departure in a flash of light the good doctor focused more fully on Fleur, "Well if I play my cards right I'm hoping to meet up for drinks with a delightful young part time florist but there may be livestock related duties that impede those plans?"  he asked with an easy smile and laugh slightly as he briefly took her hand, "I do appreciate you coming."  he reiterated and raised a questioning brow as he pondered, "I'm not off shift till ten."  he explained, "But drinks?  Or a late dinner if it wouldn't be putting you out?"  He checked his watch, "Or I might be able to call in a favor and have Dr. Grey come down from her ivory tower to babysit."  he pondered aloud and looked to stesha not sure if he should call in favors with the chief of surgery or not.

"Dinner sounds good, if you can swing it with your babysitter," Stesha told him, tilting her head to one side as she considered the practicalities. "I don't mind late nights. If it's easier, I could come by your place, bring Ammy in her jammies and bed her down somewhere while you and I have dinner, or you could bring yours to my place. How do you feel about a bucket of chicken? It's sort of a staple in my household, when we're not eating in the dining hall," she admitted wth a shrug.

"Believe it or not, I used to have all kinds of time to cook and bake, now I'm lucky to make my own dinner a couple times a week. But you probably know all about that kind of thing." Stesha laughed, and still didn't bother to reclaim her hand from him. He had good doctor hands, she noted, warm and not sweaty. 

Ellis nodded with a pleased little smile, "My sister."  he offered easily, "She handles the kids when I have late shifts and things run late often enough here she wouldn't be surprised."  he paused and offered a small shrug, "and would probably be even more generous with her time for the actual reason."  he admitted with wry laugh.  His family while understanding of his widower reluctance was tiring of the forever alone mentality, for his own good certainly, but none the less.  He raised a brow, "But there is a spare room for Ami at the house if."  he offered then blushed slightly and coughed, "Ah you and Ami if you needed."  he said clearing his throat and looking away, "Ah I like chicken."  he said in likely the worst subject change ever as he tried to order his thoughts and shrugged as he turned back to her, "This is all much less simple than last I tried my hand and I wasn't good at it then."  he offered conciliatory. 

He looked down at her hand in his, "If you don't mind or need to see to Amaryllis."  he asked more certainly, "I'd like to take you out, there's a nice ethiopian place not far from here that is open late?"  he inquired looking her in the eye, "And if you need to see to Ami we can do a chicken bucket in my kitchen and take a rain check."

Stesha chuckled in rueful appreciation of his point. "I have friends who would probably watch Ammy for a week straight if it meant I'd go out on a date," she admitted. "But you're right, it's all so much more complicated now. There's a lot to think about, and it can't all be impromptu romantic dinners or suddenly taking off for a weekend to some other planet on a whim. Nothing is simple anymore" She fiddled with the buttons on her cloak for a moment, then looked at him again, a slightly crooked smile on her expressive face. "But simple's not really what I'm looking for anymore, anyway. Ethiopian sounds great. Ten-thirty?" 

Ellis mirrored her laugh and nodded, "Well it is nice to have a cheering section at least?"  he suggested with a wry grin, "Even if you wish your love life was less a spectator sport."  he shrugged and smiled to her warmly, "They mean well I'm sure."  he said like a mantra he oft repeated in his own head.  "Simplicity has it's charms certainly but there is a place for adventure I agree."  he intoned gently, "Besides without the kids all I have to fall back on for talking about is work and that is a more effective sedative than anything I can prescribe."  he joked self deprecatingly.  With a nod he agreed to the suggested time, "Sounds perfect."  he said with a smile, "Something to look forward to to get me through the rest of the charts I have to sign off on."  he added with a half laugh half sigh, paperwork was unending.

"Be of good cheer," Stesha advised him with a grin, "and remind yourself that no matter what else you have to do, at least you're not dipping sheep in pesticides in the dark." She reached out and gave his shoulder a quick squeeze, then touched the flowers in her hair and disappeared before she could start second-guessing herself too much. She'd have hours to do that in the privacy of her own world, after all! Ten o'clock seemed a long way away. But as Stesha popped back into the largest livestock barn on Sanctuary, one that was currently deafeningly loud with the calls of indignant sheep and smelled just absolutely indescribably foul, she didn't even notice the silly little smile she still had on her face.