alderwitch

"Fathers and sons, eh? You know story, Set." As much as he enjoyed needling the desert god, Dimitri left that sharp point where it was. After all, Set did indeed know that story. "In my experience," he went on brightly, "all good relationships are founded on a few delectable little white lies. I will tell you what. In interests of Heliopolitan-Russian amity, I can arrange for romantic young ghost I know to perpetrate 'haunting' that you and your young fellow can 'exorcise.' After that, you can woo young Faretti and call it simply the nerves of two young people who have lit the fires of passion amid the icy chill of the undead." He winked at Talya and added, "That one was pretty good, eh? See, I understand sensual passions of contemporary youth." He managed to make the fourth word in the last sentence sound particularly oily. 

"There, you see?" Set cut in, nose scrunching up in distaste as she pointed accusingly at Dimitri. "When you speak that way, tis creepy. Simply... blech." Squinting, she stuck out her tongue through a scowl of brown-black painted lips to emphasize her point. She looked over to Talya imploringly. "Make the bad man stop using words like 'sensual', I beseech thee. And why does everyone assume I require a story or a lie, white or otherwise! In practice I lie very little! ...relative to expectations, anyway." She tossed her brick red dreadlocks over one shoulder and folded her arms. "I can make this work, properly. I can."

"My advice is generally to lie. Dimitri, aren't I always encouraging more deceit in my companions?" Talya turned to the thermavore as if to verify her claim. "It doesn't really allow for much emotional intimacy in one's life but it makes things flow much simpler. No one, however, listens to me. It is the saddest thing." She came around then from the bar to approach where Dimitri had all but drained the fire of its warmth. She tapped his shoulder, "That's a new record for you. I don't think you've ever had a demigoddess cry uncle on you that fast. You didn't even get to saying things like arousal or titillated that time. I am duly impressed with your antics."

Talya's voice dropped from the throaty purr to a genuine amusement and for a second, clear affection for the Russian as she gave him a quick, small grin before turning back to Set, "If you want to do it the right way, perhaps you'd be better served in seeking advice from those who actually manage emotional intimacy well. I can tell you how to seduce almost anyone - it's a gift - but to have a real, proper relationship. Well, that's a different sort of game entirely. Courtship is a far more tricky thing."

"Antics, pfaw!" said Frost with a smile Talya's way. "I am authentic Comrade Frost, still in my original bottle. "Good luck with courtship, Set," said Dimitri with a momentary trace of seriousness. "Too little passion in world in these cold days. If you are caught," he added with a wink, "feel free to tell Chosen of Heshem that it was I, Comrade Frost, who put you up to whole thing." He hmmed. "Actually, no, her wrath is exceedingly great. At least wait until interrogation to blame me, will give me time to find realm to hide in." He grinned and leaned forward. "So if you do succeed in plans, what next, eh? You going to make him your handsomest high priest?" 

"Ho, now" Set protested, nose scrunching up as her cheeks coloured a darker shade of bronze. "I must object to your vocabulary choices as well, oh thieving treasure, on entirely opposite grounds." The godling cleared her throat and made a show of fanning herself in response to Talya's husky murmur that was exaggerated but not entirely feigned. "Nor could I bear to pin the blame on your shoulders, old man, for in doing so I would be forced to admit to following your advice. Mortification most dire!" she added emphatically as she recovered, returning to her bottle of water and rather pointedly avoiding questions regarding the seriousness of her intentions toward the dhampir or her long term plans. Set didn't really think either of the century-or-so old immortals would be so easily fooling into talking about themselves instead of her but it seemed worth the attempt.

"You're adorable," Talya told the goddess with a small smile, the observation mostly bemused. "Very well. I shall endeavor to behave myself to what slim extent I am able to manage." 

She tapped Dimitri's shoulder once again as she protested, "You can't go off to another dimension, besides. Who will keep me company? I'm still put out with Ace and the rest of our generation that are bearable are almost all dead now. Well, deceased and non-ambulatory. Who will come play my date for the evening the next time I have to go to a Russian mobster's wedding? Who will be my partner at bridge night? Everyone presumes you still don't understand the game and last time we walked away with just about a clean sweep. I'm still hoping to trounce the Clock Queen the next time she's up this way. The woman cheats!"

That was said with more enthusiasm then condemnation. She smiled at Set, then, her eyes crinkling at the corners. It was clear she was aware there was a certain amount of question dodging going on, "You know, not every piece of advice Dimitri gives is terrible. Most of it, but every now and again, there's a kernel of wisdom in there. Personally, I think its largely to ensure that you can't simply always do the opposite of what he suggests and trust that's the way to go about things."