Climate Justice [IC]

Torpedo Lass knew this had to end, and fast.

Knowing how she is able to fire off her heat blasts with snapping her fingers, she knew of a way to make her attack hit harder. First time she's tried it in actual combat though. Swinging her hand back she then torques her arm to snap again, but she moves her arm at such speed that instead of just her fingers, her whole LEFT ARM pops the air with a supersonic heat-wave, sending a glowing mass of superheated plasma towards the Earthen Neer-do-well.

She didn't bother shouting her normal attacks... this time a new call-out... "HEAT TOMAHAWK!"

• 5 months later...

Torpedo Lass' new attack once again slammed into the earth controlling villain.  But as before, Tundra was only slightly jarred by the attack, remaining on her flying platform of rock and otherwise still very much in the fight. 

Hovering in the air, Tundra looked down at Torpedo Lass for a moment before she turned slightly to look over at one of the police boats which was surrounded by a number of protestor boats just in the path of the Horizon.  Reaching out with both hands, the villainess began to lift them upward.  "Time to make a choice hero, stop me or make sure others are not drowned or put in danger by the ship's props." 

As Tundra spoke, rocks and mud from the river bottom burst up from the surface of the water, slamming into the police boat and protestor boats as it did.  The force of the impacts sent all four boats tilting over far enough to capsize, sending those aboard tumbling over the edge and into the water.  It was hard to tell from where Torpedo Lass was, but some of the police and protestors might have been caught under the capsizing boats as they fell in....

This whole crisis changed in a heartbeat... and will only get worse. She knew the Kayakers can handle themselves for a second or two, But her concern was first the police boat... and not because of who were on it. She shot a quick glare at Tundra, memorizing her face before zooming off to the overturned police boat and in one move of her legs pushes the boat back over in a smoothe motion as if she was turning back over a tub toy.

She assessed the situation around her as she starts to pull herself up out of the water a bit for a better view on one of the lines girdling the boat.

"I don't think anyone is in a position to complain, but I need this boat right-side up and ready to take on passengers..." She muttered.

Although the police boat flipped over relatively easily, it was sitting far lower in the water than it should, having taken on a considerable amount of water.  As her head broke the surface of the water, Torpedo Lass could see two officers inside the police boat's cabin pulling themselves back up to their feet and coughing out water. 

Several other officers were in the water near her, all starting to swim over to the boat now that it was righted.  Glancing around at the protestors' boats, Torpedo Lass could see the kayakers flipping their kayaks back over.  The protestors trying to flip over the canon appeared to be having more trouble however. 

With the patriotic heroine now focused on helping the police and protestors, Tundra flew her rock platform over closer to the deck of the Horizon.  Then she guided the rocks she had pulled up from the riverbed arching through the air to crash down vessel, causing it further damage.

Torpedo Lass was starting to get flustered. She heard the smash of more rocks against the ship, realizing Tundra's played her cards well... She turned to the police still on the boat.

"Dunno if you guys are up for it, but I need to start getting people away from that ship... I'm going to be towing this boat along. If you can, get your bilge working. So you can get the water you took on pumped out while I tug us over to that canoe."

She starts towing the police boat... her strength becoming one heck of an asset as she swam over to the upturned Canoe using her best to flip that over.

"Okay, the priority is to get clear of that ship! I'll tow everyone to shore, get into the police boat or the canoe... whatever looks more seaworthy!"

She just hoped that she could still get a choice lick in after this... she was just glad she could still move decently well even playing tugboat.

Edited by Sailor

The police officers that had been submerged, even thought briefly, had begun to regain their composure as Torpedo Lass spoke to them and the others that were climbing aboard.  "We will try to get it started, but depends of if the engine will restart."  One responded. 

As quick as Torpedo Lass was, she was slowed down some by the police officers that had been thrown overboard and had to swim back to the righted boat and climb back aboard.  Once they were on, she was able to easily push the police boat over near the canoe.  Once there, she discovered what part of the problem was.  The canoe had several large holes in its hull, likely caused by the rocks and earth Tundra had slammed into the bottom of the canoe. 

Up aboard the Horizon, Tundra slammed some large boulders down through the ship's deck and into the compartments below, causing the vessel further damage.

This was getting more and more painful. Every thing she was doing was starting to fall apart, and hearing each crunch of the ship from Tundra's attacks was adding to it. There was nothing TL could do about it at all. She took the best she could throw at her and there was nothing that even pushed her back and here she is playing lifeguard.

She was feeling more and more useless by the moment. At this right she might as well just hang it up...

She was completely unprepared for this, and she knew it.

Edited by Sailor

While Torpedo Lass pushed the police boat about, the officers helped the protestors aboard and soon they were moved out of the way of the Horizon.  However, all of that took time, and during that there was another loud crash from the vessel, as Tundra damaged the ship's engines, causing its massive propellers to stop turning. 

The Horizon began to visibly slow, and drift at an odd angle as its self propulsion halted.  The tub boats that were assisting began trying to stop the large vessel from going out of control, but were struggling to do that. 

Tundra appeared in the air again, flying high above on a large boulder.  She paused a brief moment to be sure the Horizon was not in any shape to continue, before flying off back toward the ocean. 

The tug boat that had been guiding the Horizon along from the starboard side had moved back around and helped "catch" the aft port side of the large vessel, and along with the other tug, and were trying to slow its momentum as it drifted towards the protestors dangling from the bridge.

"One moment everyone..." Torpedo lass said, noting where there was still undamaged bulkhead and where the hull was strongest on the icebreaker... and using her ability to swim and her ability to move weight around assists the tugs to push the ship in a safe direction. Working in concert with the tugboats to keep the ship from causing any further drift towards the protesters. As long as the other tugboats were helping along, she wasn't too scared of damaging the hull, particularly at the waterline.

"This keeps drifting, might have to scuttle this ship..." she thought. "...although that'll be another mark against me today... already let that rock witch tear this ship up... Once I know this ship's safe those danglers are getting yanked up."

Her mood wasn't exactly the best at the moment for negotiation...

Edited by Sailor

Although the icebreaker was far bigger than Torpedo Lass would normally be able to move, working in conjunction with the two tug boats the patriotic heroine was able to add just enough that the Horizon was finally brought to a halt about half a football field from the bridge.  Once the Horizon's momentum had been halted, the two tug boats were able to start push it away from the bridge, allowing Torpedo Lass to focus on other tasks. 

Many of the hanging protestors were already starting to pull themselves back up to the bridge, with assistance from the police.  The remaining kayaks and canoes had all been cleared to the side by other police boats.

It was a couple hours of swimming, checking the hull of the Horizon and being debriefed by the police before things began to quiet down. Eventually with the Horizon taken out of the path of sea traffic, although at least for the rest of the day large shipping traffic there was shut down, a minor blow to the seaside economy of Freedom City, it was a rare occasion of smaller boats having a better access to the river.

To clear her head, Torpedo Lass swam out into the bay, the sun starting to set and the waxing crescent moon beginning to rise, she sighed, floating at the surface with her vest she pulled out the waterproof cased smart phone she had tucked in a pocket on it, calling up the person who was holding her stuff letting him know she'd be swinging by tomorrow to pick it up. Then she made another call to her supervisor.

"Yes, hi... it's Mary. I.. think I'm going to take a Sabbatical for a few months. Something's come up."

"No, no, everything's okay, that ship's safe but... I've noticed I'm not really sharp on my powers like I thought I would be so I'm taking a few months for training. I know I got a 6 month sabbatical I can take with my contract and I think I'll be enacting it."

"No, ma'am, I'm not hunting down that rock user... unless she shows herself again."

She sighed with some relief. "Thanks for understanding... I'll be back with a clearer head when I return to work."

Hanging up her smart phone she started doing a high-speed backstroke into the ocean. She was going to sleep again there as she started to sink herself into the Atlantic, regulating her buoyancy like an experienced diver to simply drift in the black inky depths. The waters were still somewhat warm from the Gulf Stream and she could feel it. It would be a comfortable night. But it was driving her nuts how she just couldn't get an advantage against that woman.

It would end up being a rough sleep ruminating about this, but she hoped after her walk-about, she'd have new ideas on how to handle someone as clever as a earth-bending terrorist.

She held her arms out, laid back, and to the sound of passing whales nearby she entered a zero-gee slumber. Tomorrow she'd return to the surface for the last time, then head somewhere she knew she could train in peace.

When she returned to Freedom City 6 months later... she was ready to be Freedom's Seaworthy Sentinel once more.