As Seahawk and Miracle Girl busied themselves with the cockpit door, Aníbal slowly strolled between the rows of seats, making sure all the passengers were calm and were causing no trouble and occasionally glancing towards the charred supervillainess still lying in a heap on the floor. He tried to project confidence and authority, but in a friendly, approachable manner, and made a point of smiling reassuringly at any children that were present. Nevertheless, he too was a little nervous. Things were going well so far, but he hoped Seahawk would be able to take control of the cockpit and land the plane soon, so they could get the hijacker into official custody before another flame-up ensued. He passed by Doctor Warfield's seat and turned to look at the old man. It was apparent that he knew the girl - Jenny, he called her - and she knew him. The exact nature of their connection was a mystery, but he did mention research of some sort earlier. Aníbal decided it wasn't his place to pry. However, the link between the two did seem important. Perhaps this whole thing was pulled off just to get at the old man and his research papers.

"You should be prepared to answer some questions when we land", he told the doctor, leaning in closer and lowering his voice to keep the conversation more or less private, "She seemed to be going after you, specifically, no? And you seem to know who she is. I'm sure the police or FBI or AEGIS or whoever is handling this on the ground will be interested in whatever you can reveal about the case."

There was no hint of menace or suspicion in the young man's voice, merely friendly concern. Aníbal had no intention of grilling the man so shortly after his ordeal. 

"I won't press you, but, if you happen to know something that can help us right now, we would be pleased if you could share it with us.", he added, glancing once again at Firestarter, who was thankfully still out cold.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seahawk nodded as Miracle Girl came up. She tried to get her voice down as good as she can. "Okay we focus our hits on the upper part of the door, We want it to fall flat on the floor, not sent it careening into any controls... There were multiple casualties inside, all burned, the pilot seemed off. Not sure who came in but there's someone else potentially in there. Why do I got this feeling he's a hostage? I'll take the lead into the cockpit."

She turned to the cabin who could easily see what was bout to happen. She put up her fingers to her ear, to make it look like she recieved a message. She spoke up to the passengers. "Okay, we have to check on the pilot and we got no way in. If everyone will remain in their seats while we make sure things are secure, we got no choice but to knock... A lot."

She clenched her fists as they started glowing and in turning she started "Knocking" high on the door. Once Miracle Girl started hitting they could synch their best punches until the door goes down. Then Seahawk takes point into the Cockpit. Sweeping it with her eyes to assess the situation.

As Seahawk and Miracle Girl set to work breaching the cockpit the passengers nervously settled in their seats.  Most had thought the threat over once the flaming mad woman had been vanquished however it seemed they were not safe yet.  Dr. Warfield looked up at El Huracan with some concern at his commentary but nodded, "Yes I imagine they will."  he agreed and eyed the unconscious woman with mingled fear and sympathy, "I doubt she is working alone."  he said quietly, "She has always had a volatile disposition but this,"  He paused shaking his head, "This is not a mere personal grudge there was some plan here."  the doctor looked once more to the heroes both at the cockpit door and overseeing the defeated fire controller, "She is a Terminus Energy Mutation Syndrome victim."  he said plainly, "I have heard the bare whispers of some organizing of their kind but I,"  he shook his head, "I do not know what could bring such reckless hate."

His words were punctuated by the crash of the cockpit door giving way.  Within both copilots were slumped in their seats their uniforms lightly singed whilst the bodies themselves were charred as if they were burned without the flames touching their uniforms.  The Captain was nowhere to be seen, the plane on autopilot to continue it's slow loop over the city, Seahawk would take note that the digital instrumentation displays seemed off from standard configuration, some pilots preferred alternate configurations though it was rare on commercial flights.

Seahawk sighed. "Miracle Girl, check those on the cockpit floor see if they're still alive, or dead, mind your surroundings though, that pilot's still around I think."

She walked over to the captain's seat, but first taking a headset and plugging it in to the cockpit radio. Sitting down she disengages the auto-pilot and radios air-traffic control once she has her hands on the wheel, steering to the east of Freedom City, to head out towards the bay and open water before intending to turn back into normal air traffic to land at Jordan International. "This is Seahawk. I have secured the aircraft, making final preparations to make a landing at FCJ. Nothing seems to be out of the ordinary. I'm going to head east over the Atlantic and join up with the regular air routes to head back in. Gonna make sure the controls are not sabotaged."

She switches to the aircraft intercom. "Attention all passengers. Seahawk here. I am going to be rejoining normal air traffic and preparing to land at Jordan International. If everyone will make sure they're buckled up for landing we should be on the ground safe and sound within the next 30 minutes. I also wish to have a Stewardess to come to the Cockpit, please, with a First Aid kit and some blankets. 4 in total."

She prepared for either outcome for the unconcious cockpit crew. If they were alive hopefully Miracle Girl could do what she can and the blankets will keep them from going into shock. If not... at least the blankets will provide some dignity.

Edited by The Osprey

The words "Terminus energy" sent a chill down Aníbal's spine. He remembered those words bandied about in hushed tones by the doctors his father hired to examine him in the immediate aftermath of his abilities surfacing. They were usually embedded in an impenetrable morass of medical jargon, but he could decipher the energy in question wasn't a good thing. It had the ring of something dangerous, and Jenny there was living, burning proof of it. It was fortunate that his goggles covered his eyes, hiding the fact his pupils widened with fear. Was he one of them? What exactly were they? He gritted his teeth, trying to keep his expression from revealing any trace of his inner turmoil. The crash of the cockpit door came right on time. He nodded to the doctor and moved on, ready to intervene in the cockpit if the need arose.

Seahawk's voice soon came through the speaker. Everything was fine, it seemed. The plane was under control once more and ready to land. The call for a stewardess made him cock an eyebrow. The only two stewardesses they had seen were both knocked out and unable to lend a hand. However, there must be a doctor among the passengers. There was always a doctor aboard in the movies, right?

"Is there a doctor on board?", he called out to the passengers and turned to the likeliest candidate, Dr. Warfield, with a questioning expression.

Casey nodded as she went to work; the smell and conditions of the two corpses (they were both clearly dead) made her want to hurl, and it took all her efforts to keep her big breakfast down, especially all that damn ham and sausage. Then she turned her gaze to the cabin itself, her eyes searching on both the IR and microscopic level for any clues as to what exactly went on here. More than likely, Miss Firepants was responsible for the tragic death of the two crew members, but what was the pilot's story? Possession? Shapeshifter, Mind control?

"They're both...they're both gone," was all she could muster. She muttered a quick prayer for their poor souls before returning to the task at hand.

Dr. Warfield let out a slow relieved breath at the announcement of the planes eminent return and looked up to El Huracan at the heroes question then blinked and slowly stood, "oh yes of course..." he murmured and moved to make his way toward the cockpit.

Seahawk disengaged the autopilot and flipped the intercoms to life to announce her seizing control of the plane with practiced ease, the controls under her hands began to guide the plane to an approach vector when suddenly the screens flashed blank before bootlogs slowly began to scroll up the tiny terminals.  The controls grew sluggish under her hands and the plane lurched as the ailerons locked up with the shutdown of the avionics computers, seconds later the engines stuttered to quiescence the computer assisted throttle controls cutting them as the reboot took hold.  

Warfield stumbled and the passengers began to threaten panic as the plane lurched and those near the wings started to call out in fear, "I think the engines stopped!"

Seahawk cursed her luck.

Looking at her options a laundry list of issues came up in her head. A compromised plane, potentially other sabotage, and a missing Captain. He might be planning something... But right now she had to focus.

She radioed to Air Traffic Control. "Scratch that, control. We have to make an emergency water landing. Avionics are scrambled up bad and with our situation I can't trust if this aircraft is further compromised. I'm gliding to the bay, all engines are out. With who is with me onboard, we'll be okay. Gotta get the passengers and my partners appraised of the situation."

She turned on the Intercom and took a deep breath.

"Attention passengers. Due to the situation that you are probably aware, we are gliding. I'm not going to sugar coat this, but we are going to be landing in the water. But with who is with me on board, we will be able to land safely. What I need everyone to do is prepare for a water landing. Also with what I noted, I said Land, not Crash. With the design of this aircraft, we can slide into a landing, and still be afloat."

She turned to Miracle Girl. "My partner, Miracle Girl will keep in touch with everyone until we touch water, then the three of us will assist in evacuation to the life rafts. One person for each class section of this aircraft."

"El Hurrican, if you got any hot ideas, as we go in I'm going to have Miracle Girl signal you when we'll need your help to make this landing a guaranteed smooth one, or at least figure a way to keep the passengers from getting rocked. Like an airbag, just softer. You might need to buckle up too."

She closed the visor on her helmet, turning on life support. "Also I will be staying with this craft until everyone is off, and I will be sweeping the luggage section for any animals. Everyone is making it. On my life I'm promising this."

"That's what Superheroes do. Save people. Now put your life vests on, and I'd recommend taking off your shoes for the disembarking part of all this." She said turning off the mic for a moment.

She turned to Miracle Girl. "Go over there..." Seahawk said, pointing to what looked like one of the cards. "...take one of those emergency cards, start reading off the part of how to put the life vest on a child. There's a couple more steps, and likely the vests are only marked for adults. They might need an encouraging word too." She said, looking under the pilot's seat and finding a life preserver ready to go. "And put this on... and not because I'm afraid of you drowning. More a visibility thing and if your dad caught me not looking after you on one of these misadventures he'd kill me... at least 12 times. Painfully."

"When I give you the signal, tell El Hurrican to "Deploy Landing Gear". It should be obvious what I mean. I'll try to extend our time to get this set up. And... I recommend buckling in."

She took off the headset, holding it in her hand for Miracle Girl to take over... She had flying to do.

Edited by Sailor

Aníbal too stumbled a bit when the plane suddenly lurched, but quickly regained balance and rushed towards the old doctor, helping him right himself. He felt a bit queasy when one of the passengers announced the engines had stopped. And we were doing so well... &%#$... The passengers were getting restless again. With a frown, he turned to the doctor.

"I think it's best you return to your seat for now, Doctor", he told the old man and scanned the rows of passenger seats, checking to see if anyone was going into full meltdown. He was prepared to address them all, urging calm and possibly inventing an explanation for the jolt. Turbulence, or something. That's what they always said in the movies, right? Before he could say anything, Seahawk's determined announcement came through over the intercom speakers. They were making a water landing. Seahawk didn't bother to cover up the details of the situation, which was probably for the best. If any of the passengers would have seen through the ruse, it would likely make matters worse. He quickly made his way to the cockpit to check in with Seahawk and Miracle Girl. As he entered, the stench of the copilots' bodies made him cover his mouth and nose. They didn't look unconscious. They looked dead. The doctor wouldn't be necessary after all. He glanced at the blinking panel of instruments. While he had no idea what any of the many knobs, switches and screens was for, it appeared not to be in working order.

"I can use my powers to help you with the landing", he offered to Seahawk, "The plane's too big for me to hold it up in the air, but I can create an air cushion underneath and lay us down gently, so the plane doesn't get damaged. You're still piloting, of course. If the passengers strap themselves in well, there shouldn't be any problems." 

He looked outside the cockpit. Doing this without direct contact with the atmosphere outside would be a bit tricky - he liked to feel the currents on his skin when manipulating the air - but he was confident he could do it. It was a trick he had pulled off before, though not on this scale. 

"It's best if I start at least 20-30 seconds before we land. Just give the signal.", he added and braced himself for what was to come, leaning against the back of the cockpit with a look of determination. Come on, Aníbal. You can do this...

Casey nodded as she took the headset, put on her vest and grabbed the instructions, which she thoroughly read and reread several times in the blink of an eye.

"Got it; I'll take care of this." Then she smiled warmly. "Yeah, Daddy's pretty protective of his little bulletproof girl."

She stepped back out into the passenger area, her eyes scanning the seats for any sign of the pilot; he could be anywhere out there, and there was no time-

Then a thought hit her, and she slowly grinned with grim determination; toggling on the headset, she addressesed the nervous passengers. "Ladies and gentlemen, if I can please have your attention; as Seahawk said, we are about to prepare for a water landing. I am going to go over the steps for a safe landing, and then I'm going to come around and make sure everyone is strapped in and ready. Please keep the aisles clear for your own safety."

The blonde heroine went over the steps in both English and Spanish, and then shortly after took off at high speed as she raced through the passenger area, a blue and white blur that flew past with the rush of wind, checking everyone's vests and seatbelts. As as she did, she kept her eyes open for the mysterious pilot, hoping for the chance to make him very secure.

Edited by Heritage

The plane lurched and the muddy controls strained under Seahawks grip as she brought the jetliner around to a bearing taking it toward the bay.  It was going to be a near thing to make it to clear waters with the speed lost in the turn.  Hopefully El Huracan was right about being able to cushion the impact as she was going to have to come in steeper than she'd like to not risk stalling once they cleared the city proper.  There was more than a little panic among the passengers of course as Miracle girl swept through the cabins to ensure everyone was secured.  Dr. Warfield returned to his seat and buckled in looking with concern to the firestarter, "Do you have a way to secure her safely?"  he asked uncertainly as he braced for impact.  Miracle girl was able to secure the knocked out attendant and locate the remaining flight attendant in the economy section who was able to take over for hte care of the injured member of the flight crew.

Soon all was as ready as it could be and all that was left were the few terrifying moment before splashdown.  The passengers were oddly quiet, low mumbled prayers and holding onto loved ones saying possible last goodbyes the terror of moments earlier replaced by an almost despondent calm in the face of their fate.

Aníbal gritted his teeth as the airplane, under Seahawk's capable hand, began its turn towards the bay. This was it. Everything they'd accomplished so far, everything they've been working towards earlier would be for naught if they messed up this last part. The plane began its slow descent towards the waters, and he focused his attention outwards, to the currents of air outside of the cockpit. He was no aviation expert, but even he could tell the angle of the descent was pretty tight. There was precious little room for mistakes, and he was determined not to make any. Only one thought was on his mind. Up. Push it up. Push it up. Seahawk could probably feel the winds changing, pushing the airplane up from below in an unnatural manner. Aníbal watched her with the corner of his eye, adjusting the intensity and direction of the winds in response to her motions. It wasn't enough to stop the plunge, the weight of a full airliner being too much for the young aerokinetic to handle, but it made the descent slower and more easily maneuverable. It would, hopefully, make the landing softer than it would be if it were unaided.

When the plane was seconds away from hitting the waters of the bay, Aníbal redoubled his efforts. He closed his eyes, tensing every muscle in his body, focusing on directing the air currents to cushion the final impact of the ditching. He focused harder than he'd ever done, and the currents felt stronger. Beads of sweat rolled down his forehead as those last couple of seconds stretched to what seemed like an eternity. Up, damn you. Push it up! As the airplane made contact with the water, any damage that would have befallen the aircraft, or for that matter the passengers, was considerably dampened by a dense cushion of air that formed underneath, which helped keep it airborne for a little longer and gave Seahawk just a little more time and space to work with.

Edited by TheRedGuy

The quiet before the landing unsettled Seahawk. She gripped the controls, and although they were practically dead in her hands, they had just enough and suprisingly were allowing little tweaks. A degree of pitch, a slight deviation of roll could make all the difference. In the final moments before contact she sent a message directly to Miss Americana, transcoded by voice to text.

Gonna be on the news success or not. Attempting water ditch. Suit crash transponder is online. Something happens that's my retrieval location. Focus on survivors first. If a success, there may be pets on-board. Staying with plane until all lifeforms are safe.

The ocean was coming up quick, so she prepared for the worst, picking up her headset. "El Hurrican, Deploy landing gear."

Edited by Sailor

She didn't find the pilot; perhaps it was naive of her to think she could get everyone buckled in and find the missing criminal, but at least Casey had tried. More than likely, he would lay low and hope to disappear in the chaos of the evacuation, so she would do her best to find him then.

When the doctor asked about securing Jenny, the blonde teen made a quick decision; she raced in back to find a refreshment cart, which she twisted apart like a soft pretzel and fashioned into a crude set of manacles that she carefully bent around the unconscious woman's wrists. Then she buckled her into a seat and took a seat next to her; once she'd buckled herself in, she reached across the seat to hold Jenny in place in case of violent impact. Finally at long last she to time to whisper a heartfelt prayer.

"Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us, and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever and ever. Amen."

The plane was fighting her but the skilled pilot at the stick had them cruising in at the perfect angle as the last words of the Lords Prayer tumbled from Miracle Girls lips Seahawk called for the 'landing gear' and El Huracan put all he had into the air under the plane.  There was a firm jolt as the plane hit the water and almost skipped across the surface of the bay the structure of the plane groaning with the jolt and strain.  The sounds of metal straining and groaning as the plane settled into the choppy seas filled the cabin as the passengers cried out in fear at the impact as everyone was flung down into their seats then straining against the belts as the jetliner shakes and jolts to a rocky stop.

As the plane came to a rest it rocked ever so slightly in the seas and groans and snaps from inside the structure spoke to the unusual strains of the landing but the Cabin seemed to hold together and despite a few groans as people checked themselves over the passengers seemed largely unharmed thanks to the Heroes efforts.  In the cockpit Seahawk could make out the many alarms slowly going silent as various systems failed under the strains.  Most worrying at least one fuel tanks was registering leakage after the impact and the downed avionics system hadn't allowed her to jettison the fuel.  

Aníbal managed to keep himself upright when the plan first hit the surface of the water, bending his knees and maintaining balance like a surfer on a surfboard. The second jolt, however, sent him careening forward towards the copilot's seat in front of him. He ended up doubled over the chair, which stopped him before he could collide with the instruments panel or the thick cockpit windows. The back of the chair was far less comfortable than the front, but the protective padding of his flight suit easily absorbed the force of the blow. He was unharmed. And if he was unharmed, despite not being strapped down, then hopefully the passengers made it without injuries as well. He propped himself up on the armrests and pushed back, righting himself with some effort.

He softly huffed a string of colorful Mexican profanities as he paused to catch his breath. While he wasn't injured, every muscle in his body ached from the strain of having moved the currents to aid the water landing. He wiped the sweat off his forehead and leaned against the back of the cockpit again, closing his eyes. The creaking of the airplane snapped him out of it. Things weren't over yet. He nodded to Seahawk, who seemed unharmed, and steeled himself, summoning up the last reserves of energy he had left and shaking off the weariness with renewed determination. He opened the cockpit doors, side-stepping the dead co-pilots. It occurred to him he hadn't seen the Captain among the bodies, but there was no time to dwell on that now. He stepped out into the passenger's cabin and surveyed the scene. There were a few people groaning in pain, but most of them seemed to be alright. A faint smile of relief played on his lips for a moment as he made his way down the aisle, searching for something. He was momentarily nervous when he noticed Firestarter was no longer where he left her, but he located her soon enough, strapped in and restrained next to Miracle Girl. He approached, nodding to his teammate.

"First thing's first, we get her off the plane and into custody", he said, unbuckling the belt that held the fallen villainess strapped securely to the chair, "You and Seahawk take care of the passengers, I'm taking her outside first."

He undid the straps and hoisted the woman rather unceremoniously over his shoulder with a grunt. She wasn't that heavy, but Aníbal's strength was well within normal human bounds. Swaying with the motions of the downed airplane, he made his way forward, looking for the nearest exit and hoping the authorities had scrambled a response team ready to take his prisoner in before she could come to her senses.

Edited by TheRedGuy

Seahawk sighed. "That seemed too rough, If I had control I would have nailed this... Thanks El Hurrican."

She looked behind her as she undid her restraints and stood up. She carefully stepped by the dead crew as she stepped out. "Okay! Whoever is near an exit, open the door and if there is a escape hatch toss the cover outside! There should be a red handle that deploys the escape chutes, those are also our life rafts! Once deployed everyone move in an orderly fashion on to the rafts! Do not inflate your vests until you're outside!"

She repeated herself as she made her way back. Speaking as loudly as she could so it was completely unambiguous to what she was saying.

"Miracle girl, I hate to say it, but we gotta get the passengers away... and fast. My dashboard went red like crazy, and I couldn't dump the fuel. Also from what that metal sounded like we're going to be taking on water. I'll focus on the port side rafts, you the starboard, we're gonna have to tow these things about 300 feet from the plane then organize the rafts in one spot. I..."

She gritted her teeth.

"Dammit... El Hurrican's got the prisoner... Sorry MG, I need one more miracle from you."

She looked at the hatch to the luggage bay below. Her plan had to change... and at greater personal risk. She didn't look forward to potentially dying... again. "I'm gonna try to save any pets that I find down below as quick as possible. Try to tug all the rafts away from the plane. 300 feet will do. Tell the passengers once they've loaded a raft to start paddling with their arms away from the plane until they are a good distance. Assist them when possible. I'll try to get the pet carriers up on to the passenger deck and start shuttling from the plane to the rafts."

She sighed, making sure the visor on her suit was down and the life support was running. "If I go down with the plane I got a emergency transponder, Miss Americana has the frequency and she can retrieve me. Don't come after me no matter what. The passengers come first and always."

She started walking to the still open hatch to the luggage level. "I gotta work quick." She said looking back at Miracle girl before going below.

"Enough have died today. No more..."

Edited by Sailor

Casey nodded, then stopped and looked off into space for a few seconds. "Harbor patrol are on their way; they should be here in about three minutes." Then she offered Seahawk a tense smile. "Good luck." She was very impressed by the test pilot's dedication to saving the animals. 

But she had work to do, too; between her flight, speed and tremendous strength, Casey was indeed able to work miracles, towing two rafts at time, grabbing people by their vests to fly then safely outside, and freeing anyone who was stuck or unconscious back in the plane.

The whole time, she kept her eyes and ears open for any sign of trouble,  especially the sinister pilot responsible for all of this; he could NOT get away!

Edited by Heritage

Seahawk cursed her luck. At least the two large dogs and the little pommies were all in their animal carriers still. The growing amount of water flooding the luggage bay was starting to be a problem as well. She turned on her radio again on the emergency channel. "Attention This is Seahawk, this plane is taking on water very slowly... I suspect a fuel leak as well. With the water we're taking on, it's ankle deep at the moment and rising. I'm saving the animals right now in the luggage bay... not too many and I should be able to get them onto the passenger section." She said this moving as fast as she could, thanking god she was strong enough to make moving things easy. That and it seemed the carriers themselves would be light enough to set in rafts. She moved the three animal carriers. "I'm going to need a coroner, all of the crew is dead by a flame-weilding terrorist. The Pilot may be compromised, whereabouts unknown. I don't dare take the bodies out, at least to not distress the survivors any more than they're already are. And take caution, I don't know how much more compromised this plane is."

She looked up, and took a trenchcoat that was left on the plane and tied the three smaller dog-carriers together. She moved the group on to a wing for retrieval, turning on the external speaker to her helmet. "Miracle Girl! I got two Big dogs, I'll need your arms to take 'em. One carrier per raft. The three small ones I'll deposit on that raft over there." She said, pointing at a raft as she takes off from the wing of the plane, depositing the three loud dogs in their carrier in the center of the slide/raft.

She flew back to the plane, standing on the top of the hull of the aircraft to keep an eye on the overall picture. She knew the pilot would be making his move... but not here. If he was stupid he would take a raft hostage. If he was smart, he'd slip away with the chaos of dealing with the survivors.

The egress of the passengers was as orderly as the circumstances dictated, which was to say not.  Once the doors were flung open people were scrambling out and jumping the water to try and get aboard the deployed rafts some deploying their life vests before Seahawk even shouted her warning against such folly.  Children cried in fear as parents tried to quiet them and all in all orderly was not the order of the day.  The rush grew more pressed as a cal went out from a passenger about fuel in the water and those still trapped inside crushed against the doors.  Miracle Girls efforts were all that kept the terrified mass from turning stampede or anyone being injured in the rush.  The cool headed hero flashed from door to door keeping order as best she could and ensuring those to small or weak or injured to descend on their own to rafts could be safely ensconced.

El Huracan beat the bulk of the passengers to the doors and was given wide berth by those nearby still fearful of the villainous Firestarter.  As he emerged from the vessel stepping out onto the wing he could see boats speeding in from the distance and passengers scrambling into the buoyant life rafts bobbing beside the plane.  While not organized the evacuation seemed at least to be swift and the plane was nearly empty already.  There was a subtle shift in the form slung over his shoulder the only warning that this hot tamale wasn't as down for the count as one might hope.  There was searing heat along his body as she once more erupted in flame in his arms and shoved away to cackle maniacally, "Fools!"  she bellowed as the flames rose around her in searing intensity, "You will rue the day you stood against our glorious cause!"  with a gesture she swept a wall of flame over the leaking fuel setting the surface of the water ablaze in a  wide swath around the huddled passengers then in streak of fire was jetting toward the horizon at near mach speeds only her maniacal laughter and burning hatred lingering in the air behind her.

The last passengers scrambled panicking into the rafts as Seahawk deposited the pets and looked to the heroes as their only hope of avoiding a fiery doom as the flames licked ever closer to the plane itself and potential detonation of whatever fuel remained.

"Not on my watch!" Seahawk shouted, doing all she could to get back into the plane into the luggage section as she set the life preserver on her suit to manual use. Then, she started pulling on the doors to the luggage section, leveraging all the strength she could she started tearing them from the hull, causing the cold Atlantic to start flooding the plane. She had to work quickly... or this plane would end up becoming a shrapnel bomb. She thanked god the engineering of her suit included integrated life support although her flight pack would be useless. She was going to have to swim out, and she didn't know exactly how deep it was at the bottom... She knew El Hurrican and Miracle Girl could save everyone up top... but having that firestarter get away, and having that pilot be nowhere to be found was rattling around in Seahawk's mind.

Today... was a very, very bad day.

Edited by Sailor

With one free hand, Aníbal had opened the overwing emergency exit, figuring the passengers would be using the other ones to evacuate the plane. He carefully stepped out onto the wing, hauling his captive, and looked around for signs of law enforcement. None were immediately present. There were boats in the distance, too far to tell if any of them were what he was looking for. Just as he prepared to take to the air, he felt Firestarter squirming on his shoulder. No. No, no, no, no... NO! The searing heat of her reignited flame aura knocked him over and made him lose his grip on her. He grunted in pain, gritting his teeth as the heat overpowered the suits defenses, leaving a nasty, painful burn on his right shoulder and upper back. Rolling to his side to extinguish the flames, he could only look on as Firestarter delivered a parting threat and escaped, setting fire to the leaked fuel around the plane. He watched her rush off towards the horizon, moving at a speed his own flight could not match, and slammed his fist into the cold, damp metal of the wing in frustration. Getting back to his feet, he muttered a torrent of Spanish profanities as he surveyed the situation.

The good news was that all the passengers made it to the emergency life rafts. The bad news was that the plane was liable to blow up any second now, and even if it didn't, the flaming inferno wasn't making matters easier for the already spooked passengers. With renewed, intense determination, he took to the air. Things suddenly went from bad to much, much worse, but they could at least get everyone out safely. "We need to get the passengers away!", he shouted to Miracle Girl and flew towards the nearest of the rafts, taking his place on the front. 

"Everyone! Please! Stay calm and hold on tight!", he shouted over the din of the crowd with an air of authority, "Everyone gets out of this alive!"

He turned around to face the walls of flame that surrounded the raft and extended his hand to focus his mind. A few seconds later powerful winds were mobilized to put the fires out. It was a strong effort, but Aníbal knew he wouldn't be able to finish the job alone.

Edited by TheRedGuy

"Sure, I'll take the little darlings!" An actual smile crossed Casey's face as she easily took the two carriers and dropped them off into seperate rafts; they were a pleasant distraction from the strain of wrangling frightened passengers into the rescue craft.

But then their previously unconcious prisoner suddenly came to, and to the blonde heroine's horror, she set the fuel slick on fire! "No!" she yelled in frustration; all of their hard work could not be in vain! Thanks to Seahawk, the plane and its fuel tanks were starting to settle into the bay, but it might not be in time!

Floating over the blaze, Miracle Girl quickly figured out what El Hurican was trying to do; she took a long deep breath, then blew a super-focused stream of air at the flames, rapidly cooling them as she slowly turned her head from side to side. She'd never tried this before, so she hoped it worked! 

Edited by Heritage

As the villainous Firestarter vanished in the distance the heroes of the hour had more burning concerns.  Flames licked along the surface of the water racing toward the ruptured tanks in the plane's wings while panicked passengers cried out as the scorching heat of the burning fuel rolled over their fragile refuge in the liferafts.  Seahawks quick thinking saw the plane slowly sink below the surface the burbling fuel leaking from the wing sinking below the surface moments before the flames reached them.  In the hold the chill waters of the atlantic rushed in through the breaches in the hull nearly knocking the Stalwart Sentinel of the Skies from her feet with their crushing force. As the plane sunk and her suit sealed out the rising tide she could make out luggage and straps floating free and about the hold threatening to entangle and entrap the incautious.

On the surface the dire flames of burning jet fuel flowed steadily toward the helpless passengers who's terrified cries grew as the blaze approached.  The flow was halted as El Huracan's mastery of the winds stalled its course before the Gregarious Master of Gales unleashed the fury of a howling hurricane upon the flames slowly driving back and snuffing out the flames while at his side the Mighty Miracle Girl released a powerful puff from her potent lungs to blow out the last of the flames like birthday candle.  A cheer rang out from the crowd before a few looked uncertainly toward the water and the sinking plane seeking out the brave hero who had risked so much to save them.

The massed crowd needn't worry... The Stalwart Sentinel of the skies of Freedom City's costume wasn't just for show. The life support and environmental compensation system started to kick on as Seahawk held tight until the cargo bay she was in completely flooded and she could feel the plane breathe it's last as it accepted Davey Jones' Embrace. She knew she was sinking, as intended.

As she carefully moved along, using various boxes that were wedged against the walls of the chamber and various netting, Keeping her feet together to prevent any entanglements she eventually gets to one of the hatches. Bidding a final farewell to the plane she does a couple back strokes, getting clear of the fuselage. Saluting the fallen crew for a moment as the plane started to pull away from her into the deep she pulls the toggle on her life preserver and makes her way up to the surface.

Once there, the now Superheroine with a Bouyant Personality shoots out of the water like a beach ball held under the water, reaching into a compartment on the bottom of the currently drowned flight pack, a orange purse-sized thing that she pulls a toggle on, popping out her own, very much smaller and bright orange and red raft. The waterlogged seabaird climbs in and looks over, seeing the worried crowd. She opens her helmet and pulls back the cowl on her suit, keeping her goggles covering her face as she salutes the hushed passengers. "Seahawk present and accounted for... Mission complete! Miss me?" She said with a smile, pushing the inflated vest that was part of her suit out of her face a little. "I'm a bit waterlogged, it'll take a few moments for me to purge my flight systems, guys... My Codename is Frigate Bird for the time being." She said with a laugh, patting the bright red, and large air bladder... something necessary due to the weight of the flight pack.

She looked at the now doused fuel slick nearby. "...Uh... Miracle Girl? El Hurrican?... You just... put the fire out?"

She looked down into the water as some bubbling fuel was still coming up from the damaged wing of the aircraft below. She sighed. Then again the plane was going to sink sooner or later. She went to smiling again. "So, uh... anyone find the damn pilot who put us in this mess?" She said, slowly paddling with her arms as best she could, water slowly leaking out from her flight pack as she started eyeballing the crowd. Her expression turning predatory and mean... "Because I swear to Gandalf if I find that guy I am going to beat the ever-loving daylights outta him!!!"

Edited by Sailor