Hit the Plane Down (OOC)

angrydurf

Alright so the two cockpit crew members are definitely dead.  It smells not unlike a hawaiian BBQ in there.    You are correct in your thinking in chat there are shady things afoot ;)  I'll post what after giving Heri chance to get a post in.  Red feel free to get another reply in if you like.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seahawk take an HP for the avionics reboot trashing the controls.

A Knowledge(Technology) DC 20 check could get things back online faster if anyone has the skill.  Otherwise Seahawk can try to keep the bird in the air for the five minutes or more it takes for the reboot to complete at Pilot DC 25, Try to land it unpowered and with half the controls and the engines offline at Pilot DC 35, or try to crash land in the bay rather than the city at a Pilot DC 20.  Crashing in the bay will likely have injuries and possibly casualties but be fast and well within Seahawks skill mastery, Crashing on land would be disastrous as you're over the city and casualties both on the ground and on the plane would be high.  

Most of the instrumentation is offline during reboot, As are the engines which are computer controlled and a fair bit of the flight controls are fly by wire at this point and offline.  Landing gear can be manually engaged by Miracle girl and/or El Huracan, and Seahawk has basic flap controls still via unassisted hydraulics so they are sluggish and require her super strength to effectively use but the plane isn't just hurtling to the ground out of control it just feels that way to the untrained aboard.

Actually, a bay landing will work. In fact planes are designed for it. All I have to do is get level. Captain Sully pulled that off and he's no superhero, and with minor injuries! 

What I do need is MG and Hurrican getting the passengers ready for a water landing. I got this. If I want to pull off the landing I want, would that be a higher DC? (A level landing on to the water)

That way at least there won't be damage to the plane (mostly) keeping it afloat long enough to get the passengers on the escape slides/life rafts.

Of course that's just saying coming from the standpoint I finally get to do something I have a huge chance of nailing.

Edited by Sailor

I laid out the DCs and relative risks in my OOC post above.  A safe landing is gonna be DC 35, A minimally damage water landing DC 20 but risks injuries and potentially casualties dependant on circumstance, Keeping it up in the air for a full reboot is DC 25 then you can pull up and land normally.  It's a bit abstracted but take it as the circumstance given the state of the plane at shut down given elevation, banking, speed, direction , etc.  IE you're not over the water and at your speed and direction smooth water landing isn't going to really happen Seahawk is a good enough pilot to recognize the risks inherent in those courses of action.

If you want to have Miracle Girl and or El Huracan Get out and push/add lift with powers etc they can do so as an aid action on your Pilot checks for any of the above but neither of them have the carry capacity to hold up the plane on their own.

The DC 20 water landing then is the best course of action as we don't know how much more sabotage has happened. Best to get this bird down, get the passengers out, then figure out what happened. I can nail that pilot DC no sweat. If El Hurrican wants he can use his mental powers to help keep passengers from getting rattled in the cabin (making the air dense in the cabin at the right moment to act as airbags for the passengers if that's his thing) while Miracle Girl gets the passengers ready for the water landing and keep them calm with her gift of gab.

Trust me, a no-roll 25 is a sure bet.

Also after the landing I volunteer to stay behind to make sure everyone is off and to check the luggage compartment below for anything (like animals or what-not).

Edited by Sailor

Okay. Considering my Air Control is perception range, I don't think I can provide airbags to the whole plane, as we haven't even been to the economy class seats. The best bet is using my Air Control to counter the falling damage on the water landing by creating a cushion of air. It would lay the plane down gently, minimising any potential discomfort and injuries to the passengers. Of course, Seahawk would do her Pilot check and go all Sully. 

BTW, since Aníbal also has Bluff and Diplomacy skills, could I use a Bluff or Diplomacy check to calm down the passengers?

In response to discussion from chat this is here for posterity.

So air control as I mentioned can ease the planes descent and help with pilot checks.  That's what the air cushion effect on the whole plane would be.  Power Stunting some AOE and or affects others effect could instead focus the protection on all the people in the plane with a descriptor of your choice (Air bags without the bag! or whatever)  there are plenty of options and I'm not sticking super firm to damage rules for the passengers as the are all effectively minions thus lethal would kill large numbers of them right off so it's less a matter of the numbers you're going for than how you're utilizing your power to affect all the passengers.  Given you have 23PP to work with on a power stunt 

Immunity 10 (Impact Damage [Falls, Knockback, Slams]; Flaws: Limited [Half]) [5PP] with Burst Area, and Affects others extras bringing it to 15PP and some progression to get everyone in the plane would fit well within the PP allotment and could be descriptored by just increasing air density throughout the area at the moment of impact to effectively cushion everyone or something similar.

And Bluff or diplomacy check certainly can be used for crowd control though you would need to be on the intercom for everyone to hear you.

Seems easier than the idea I had for the cabin.

Now something I do know is I can at least send a message through the entire cabin, so El Hurrican can know about things getting busy and fast.

I'll have Miracle Girl take over the headset for the intercom so she can keep people calm as we head down.

What I'll do is first radio the tower to appraise them of the change of situation (The radio AFAIK is separate from the avionics), then intercom the cabin. (I know she's tough, but she might wanna strap in at the copilot position)

Also with my numbers I believe I beat DC 20 with a 30 Pilot result from Skill Mastery. Seems a formality at this point.

Edited by Sailor

OK, I think we're going for the air cushion. Any damage to the passengers would be counted from the falling damage to the plane as a whole, right? If the whole plane has a soft landing, nobody should get banged up if they're strapped in properly. Or, at least, they'll have a better shot of weathering the blow if it's just a tiny bump and not a DC35+ Toughness save plunge into the water. Don't think anyone will be all "YOU BLEW IT! WORST HEROING EVAR! HOW CAN YOU LIVE WITH URSELFS?!?!?!1one" if a few people get minor injuries after the whole thing is through. Like I said, given his Air Control is perception range, the airbag thing would likely not be able to cover the whole plane. Not to mention that if the plane gets banged up while the passengers are protected, there might be further trouble (jet fuel 'splosions, wings breaking off, malfunctioning equipment, glass breaking, I dunno...) that'd make extracting the passengers a PITA. 

One small issue... I don't think Seahawk would know the full extent of El Huracán's powers yet, so the bit in the post where she suggests he use a cushion or create air bags should probably come as a suggestion from Aníbal, who'll drop by the cockpit to check in. She saw him fly and turn off BBQ Girl's flames, but she probably wouldn't be able to tell how exactly he did it or what else he can do - i.e. just how limited or not his abilities are. Anyway, I'll post Aníbal coming into the cockpit and suggesting his part. You can edit your post later.

So, the cushion thing, according to UP, works by reducing the falling damage DC by [power rank] every round. Depending on how long the descent takes, it should lower it considerably or eliminate it entirely. An airliner has 13 Toughness (according to the list in Core Rules, I think). I'd also use Extra Effort to increase my Air Control power, but we'll deal with that once we begin the landing.

Edited by TheRedGuy

oops, sorry on the post I made. I'll correct the assumption. probably by saying over the intercom if El Hurrican has any ideas, to go for it.

Considering the circumstances, my result will reduce downward momentum/speed and more forward gliding (which is good, as no stall), and hopefully enough time for everyone at the very least get safely buckled in.

Also tossing into my post a final edit... something I know SH would have said to Casey. I probably won't get a chance to post again until well after Heri posts, so hopefully things will work out.

Edited by Sailor

Oh, just one question, this is a packed flight, correct?

Just thinking of the stakes. And how many empty seats (not an exact number, more like a visual percentage).

That and I'm scheming for post-landing.

Also when you put the life vest on BBQ, make sure her hands are behind her back first and put the vest's belt over her arms. I wager that'll do for restraints. Whoever's got her... just an idea.

Edited by Sailor

Ok for simplicities sake and to not have to worry too much about the details that don't matter Red just use Extra effort and describe what you want for how you're protecting the passengers.  I'll factor that in with the potential injuries to passengers when you all hit the water.  It'll be a bit of a rough 'landing' but between an Ace Pilot and Air Controller I think you all can get people mostly safe into the water.  If I don't have a post in from Heritage I'll push us forward again tonight before I head to bed.

Per discussion in chat with Durf, Casey is going to stunt her Quickness 12 in Super-Speed 6, spending her remaining HP; this will allow her ti do two things: 

1. Rapidly move about the passenger areas, making sure everyone's buckled in.

2. Using previously mentioned activity as cover to try and spot the pilot; she had a pretty good look at him with her telescopic vision before they entered the plane, so here's hoping!

Durf, let me know if I have to roll any Notice checks or anything else.

OK, I'm using my Air Control to counter the falling damage by creating a cushion of air underneath the entire airplane. It works, as said above, by subtracting the Air Control rank from the DC of the fall each round. It should make the rough landing less rough and protect both the passengers and the plane from the impact damage, though it probably will not be a perfectly smooth finish, especially since he's not on the outside of the plane where he can feel the winds better. I'll also use Extra Effort to increase Air Control's power the last round before landing. 

Need DC 12 Toughness checks from Seahawk and Miracle girl, DC 18 Toughness check from El Huracan who was not strapped in as he did his air control (Very heroic self sacrificing)  

Also a Notice check from Miracle Girl.

The Leak isn't like super fast but time is of the essence when it comes to getting free of the wreck.