Freedom's Finest #4: Diamond in the Rough [OOC]

Gizmo

23 - Oracle - Uninjured, 1HP
9 - Baboon Guards x6 - Uninjured
6 - Sekhmet - Uninjured

This ground of criminals are minions so feel free to take 10 and so on, just keeping in mind that their armor makes them reasonably formidable even if they're all a canopic jar short of a mummification.

Oracle will take 10, and center her Selective Area Burst Emotion Control in the jewelry store, only targeting the thugs with Dispair. .

DC is then 25, save for no effect, fail and Experience Fear, staged as follows:

Simple failure: shaken, –2 on attack rolls, defense, and checks.

Failure by 10 or more means the subject is overcome by hopelessness, helpless and unable to take any actions.

(And then Sekmet will eat them, hahaha)

Since Oracle's Emotion Control is a General Area effect - as opposed to a Targeted Area effect - she's not rolling attack and doesn't need to Take 10 (Emotion Control is Perception range by default as well). Also because it's a General Area effect its rank is capped at her power level, for a DC 10 + 10 = 20 Will Save. Remember, Toughness Saves are DC 15 + Rank while 'Exotic' Saves (Fortitude, Reflex and Will) are DC 10 + Rank. Also worth noting that Despair and Fear are mechanically different effects, particularly relevant when the target has Fearless, a fairly common feat, or a similar immunity to one or more emotional effects. Despair works just as you've described above while failing a save against a Fear effect by 5 or more can cause the target to flee the scene. Given the in-character description I'd say Despair is the more appropriate effect so we'll go with that.

But moving on!

Baboon Guards
Will Save vs DC 20: 6#1d20+6 17 11 25 8 12 24

Combined Attack vs Sekhmet: 2#1d20+4 19 5
Combined Attack vs Oracle: 3#1d20+2 19 13 11

Sekhmet
Toughness Save vs DC 23: 1d20+7 10 Inauspicious!

Sekhmet clears the Daze status by passing her turn but is still Staggered. Oracle is up again!

> 23 - Oracle - Uninjured, 1HP
9 - Baboon Guards x2 - Uninjured
9 - Baboon Guards x3 - Shaken
9 - Baboon Guard x1 - Shaken, Despairing
6 - Sekhmet - Staggered

For future reference, if you copy and paste the line titles 'BBCode' you get this: 1d20+10=27 Makes things a little easier!

Baboon Guards
Will Save vs DC 25: 1d20+6 22

Normally that would just be a Bruise but because these guys are minions he's knocked unconscious!

Aid Attack: 3#1d20+2 20 21 6
Attack Oracle: 1d20+8 13

Sekhmet
Charge Baboon Guard; Power Attack 2: 1d20+7 26 With Improved Critical that's a crit.

Baboon Guard
Toughness Save vs DC 27: 1d20+6 14

With the Vampiric Extra on her Unarmed Damage, Sekhmet automatically passes her recovery check and clears the Staggered condition.

> 23 - Oracle - Uninjured, 1HP
9 - Baboon Guard x1 - Uninjured
9 - Baboon Guards x2 - Shaken
9 - Baboon Guard x2 - Unconscious
6 - Sekhmet - Uninjured

I'll have the IC post up shortly!

• 1 month later...

Alright, making some educated guesses on what you meant there. Presumably this is Oracle's Mental Blast power, in which case at Perception Range it doesn't require an Attack roll at all but it has a DC 25 Save. I don't see anywhere on her sheet where you could be getting 29, unless that's meant to refer to the superfluous attack roll. If she's attacking one of the Shaken guards then they have a -2 penalty to saves; I'm not sure what you meant by 'a partial save against the Empathy attack'.

And again, when linking to your rolls please use the BBCode line so that your GM doesn't have to actually follow the link to see that the result was, like so: 1d20+10=29

Baboon Guard
Will Save vs DC 25: 1d20+4 9

> 9 - Baboon Guard x1 - Uninjured
9 - Baboon Guards x1 - Shaken
9 - Baboon Guard x3 - Unconscious
6 - Sekhmet - Uninjured

Look that over and let me know if I parsed what you wanted correctly before we continue.

Alright, making some educated guesses on what you meant there. Presumably this is Oracle's Mental Blast power, in which case at Perception Range it doesn't require an Attack roll at all but it has a DC 25 Save. I don't see anywhere on her sheet where you could be getting 29, unless that's meant to refer to the superfluous attack roll. If she's attacking one of the Shaken guards then they have a -2 penalty to saves; I'm not sure what you meant by 'a partial save against the Empathy attack'.

And again, when linking to your rolls please use the BBCode line so that your GM doesn't have to actually follow the link to see that the result was, like so: 1d20+10=29

Baboon Guard
Will Save vs DC 25: 1d20+4 9

> 9 - Baboon Guard x1 - Uninjured
9 - Baboon Guards x1 - Shaken
9 - Baboon Guard x3 - Unconscious
6 - Sekhmet - Uninjured

Look that over and let me know if I parsed what you wanted correctly before we continue.

Yep, I'm a dummy. I keep wanting to roll the attack but no, you had the math right and I did not. This is the Mental Blast attack. Will save of 25 required by goon. And I had the goon's penalties wrong too. so I apologize for that. Ok, BBCode lines from now on, will do.

No need to apologize! There's a lot of overlapping terminology in the system so it's pretty easy to get some wires crossed, especially as you're getting the hang of things. Most of the time we're able to help newer members hash that stuff out in chat but so long as we get there in the end, that's the important thing! I'll have the Baboon Guard's actions up shortly.