Wildcat (PL 7) - Mad Scientist (New)

wildcat2.jpg

Player Name: Mad Scientist
Character Name: Wildcat
Power Level: 7/8 (119/122PP)
Trade-Offs: +2 Defense / -2 Toughness
Unspent Power Points: 3

In Brief: A young man reluctantly in touch with his more feral nature.

Alternate Identity: Felix Silvestri
Identity: Secret
Birthplace: Freedom City, USA
Affiliations: Solo
Family: Tony Silvestri (Father), Maria Silvestri (Mother), Fatima Silvestri (Younger Sister)
Catchphrase*snaaarrl*

Description:
Ethnicity: Caucasian, Italian-American
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 194lb
Eyes: Amber Brown
Hair: Brown

Felix is tall, lean, broad-shouldered and well-muscled. In theory he works out and has a manual labour job to keep him in shape -- in reality, it's his enhanced physiology that keeps him in good trim. His hair is typically slightly mussed despite being cut short, and his eyes are an unusual shade of light brown, almost amber-yellow in hue. He tends to dress simply and comfortably unless given reason to do otherwise -- jeans, t-shirts and plaid overshirts, and worn steel-toed boots.

As Wildcat...well, it shows that he's still new to this. Combat boots, charcoal grey BDU pants and a black commando sweater with the shoulder patches makes it pretty clear that he's shopped army surplus for his 'costume'. He does have a black mask that covers his upper face, with token points that are likely supposed to represent cat ears. He wears a tactical harness that holds the ballistic plastic baton and boomerang that he employs when he needs an extra edge.

preview_wildcat3.jpg

Power Descriptions:
His powers have no overt appearance, all being enhanced aspects of his physiology and not prone to flashy energy displays or colour changes.

History:
Felix had an utterly normal childhood, growing up with two parents in the home and a bratty younger sister cramping his style. They were a middle-class family, and so while he didn't have everything he wanted, neither was he denied any of the basics. Growing up in Freedom City had its exciting moments, of course, but in general the positive outweighed the negative.

When Felix hit puberty, he began to go through some...changes. Completely natural, of course -- what child at that age doesn't experience his body acting in odd ways, strange new urges and feelings, and a general impression that something momentous was happening to him?

Of course, in Felix's case, his changes really were more profound, although neither he nor anyone around him was aware of just how muchso. He thought it was normal, because he had been told no matter how weird it seemed, everyone went through the same thing. But....

Not everyone had quite as substantial a physical boost as he went through. It was certainly a great deal more rare the degree his senses and reflexes sharpened, and while every young man in his teens occasionally felt like a cave man or a bubbling pot of hormones ready to make one snap for no reason -- well, Felix started to be subjected to primal urges; hunt, fight, mate, feed. He found himself fighting to keep his responses...civilized when presented with stimuli of this nature, and wondered just why he was having such a time of growing up.

It wasn't until his later teens that he finally had to admit to himself that he was...unusual. He wasn't inclined to team sports, but he'd noticed he could easily outperform even the best of his peers who were, and that was without even putting in effort.

He never did have that one, defining moment that seems to crop up so frequently in the origins of superheroes who tell such tales. What he did eventually have was the start of the downward trend of hormonal activity that young men do once they hit their twenties, and it became...less of a burden to be who he was, and more something that could be looked at as an opportunity. Just as importantly, he discovered that giving these urges of his a legitimate outlet made them easier to manage -- not a surprise, of course, that a relief valve reduced the chance of an explosion, but knowing that it applied to his own life and troubles...was a real game-changer.

Not sure as of yet exactly where he was going to go with this, long-term, Felix assembled what meagre gear he thought he might need for his outings, chose what seemed a fitting moniker for the public face of his baser drives...and took to the streets.

Personality & Motivation:
Felix is, at the core of himself, a genuinely good guy who doesn't want to cause problems or be a burden on others. Unfortunately for this decent human being, he has some quirk of physiology that makes it very, very difficult to live up to those ideals. He does what he does in order to keep a handle on his baser urges -- he hunts and battles criminals and villains in order to give his baser urges an outlet and keep himself from losing control and lashing out at someone who is merely offensive or frightened.

Powers & Tactics:
As Wildcat, Felix is strong, fast, and agile, with very quick reactions and an excellent ability to get out of the way of what's coming at him. His enhanced senses allow him to identify and locate his quarry in unexpected ways, and it is difficult to anyone to conceal themselves from him.

He is an able, if largely untrained brawler, excellent reflexes and capabilities carrying him though. He carries with him an eighteen inch baton of ballistic plastic that he uses to enhance the blows of his already potent strength if needed, but where he truly excels is hitting an opponent with a hurled item. His strength combined with his impressive hand-eye coordination allows him to very accurately throw nearly anything at all with devastating results. When a little more precision is required, however, he does have a three-leg boomerang made of the same ballistic plastic that he has utilized from time to time.

His sprinting speed is phenomenal, able to achieve highway speeds for short periods, and he can make prodigious leaps that can carry him easily from ground level to a building's roof, and from there from rooftop to rooftop should he so desire.

Complications:
Savage Beast: Felix's Id has a louder voice than usual, leaving him susceptible to situations that prey upon his baser emotions. Powers, skills, or situations that threaten his territory or his belongings, are a clear challenge, or appeal to his wants and desires are more likely to sway him, and under pressure he is more likely to default to heeding these drives.
n00b: Very new to the world of heroing, with only a handful of outings under his belt, Felix is prone to making rookie mistakes and lacking what is considered 'common' knowledge among the supers crowd. This will, of course, change with experience, but for now he can't be counted on to 'know better'.
Secret ID: He does, as is common, try to keep his heroic identity a secret from his public one, to keep himself and those he cares about from harm.
One of Us: Animals tend to react to Felix as if he were more beast than man.  Dogs growl or whine, cats hiss, many prey animals may freeze, flee, or threat display as appropriate.  Suffice to say, this can be...awkward.

Attributes: 6 + 6 + 8 + 2 + 2 + 0 = 24PP
Strength: 16/24 (+7)
Dexterity: 16/20 (+5)
Constitution: 18 (+4)
Intelligence: 12 (+1)
Wisdom: 12 (+1)
Charisma: 10 (+0)

Combat: 14 + 14 = 28PP
Initiative: +9
Attack: +7 (+8 Melee)
Grapple: +15
Defense: +10 (+7 Base, +3 Dodge Focus), +4 Flat-Footed
Knockback: -2

Saving Throws: 5 + 5 + 6 = 16PP
Toughness: +6 (+4 Con, +2 Defensive Roll)
Fortitude: +9 (+4 Con, +5)
Reflex: +10 (+5 Dex, +5)
Will: +7 (+1 Wis, +6)

Skills: 36R = 9PP
Acrobatics - 5 (+10)
Climb - 5 (+12)
Knowledge: Current Events - 2 (+3)
Knowledge: Popular Culture - 2 (+3)
Knowledge: Streetwise - 2 (+3)
Languages - 1 (English [Native], Italian)
Notice - 8 (+9)
Search - 2 (+3)
Sense Motive - 4 (+5)
Stealth - 5 (+10)

Feats: 13PP
Attack Focus: Melee 1
Defensive Roll 1
Dodge Focus 3
Elusive Target
Evasion 1
Improved Initiative 1
Takedown Attack
Throwing Mastery 2
Uncanny Dodge
Well Informed

Powers (Mutation): 8 + 4 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 7 + 4= 29PP

Enhanced Strength 8 [8PP]

Enhanced Dexterity 4 [4PP]

Super Strength 1 (Effective Strength 29, Heavy Load 1,400lbs) [2PP]

Leaping 2 (85/42/21ft per Move Action) [2PP]

Speed 2 (25mph/250ft per Move Action) [2PP]

Enhanced Senses 7 (Extended Vision 1, Extended Hearing 1, Ultra-Hearing, Accurate Hearing, Acute Tracking Scent) [7PP]

Regeneration 3 (Bruised 1 [Round], Injured 1 [20 Minutes], Staggered 2 [5 Minutes] ) [4PP]

Drawbacks: (-0) + (-0) = -0PP

Combat Block

ATTACK             RANGE     SAVE    EFFECT
Unarmed            Touch     DC22    Toughness (Staged) Damage (Physical)
Throwing Mastery   Thrown    DC17    Toughness (Staged) Damage (Physical)

Totals: Abilities (24) + Combat (28) + Saving Throws (16) + Skills (9) + Feats (13) + Powers (29) - Drawbacks (0) = 119/122 Power Points

Edited by Thevshi
+1PP for Sept 2015
Couple of minor things -

You should try and put in his full Leaping distances so you don't have to calculate it on the fly. You can find that info with this helpful spreadsheet. 
mutantsandmasterminds.com/2007/11/17/leaping_spreads/

Speed 2 is 25 MPH/250 fpm

You should actually put in the stats for his Boomerang and Club (i.e., Blast X, Strike X) 

Done.

I don't usually worry about needing to divide leaping distances on the fly, but it's not a problem to have them listed out. As for Speed, I'm not sure why my brain just doubled the base 100' instead of the usual 250. :D

I wasn't aware that base equipment should be statted out, but it's not a problem.

So, looking things over, a few small things Mad:

Skills: I only count 32 ranks of skills, not 36. So, either you have 4 more ranks to apply, or a pp to use somewhere else.

Feats: Please list Equipment 2 as a feat, I almost missed seeing that was not listed and though you were 2 pp short.

Powers: I believe you have overspent by 1 pp on your supersenses. I see five things purchased, with Accurate costing 2 pp and the other 4 costing 1 pp each, for only 6 pp, not 7.

Also, I would possibly think twice about Throwing Mastery. It is a lot of points for not very much benefit, seeing as your Boomerang does more damage than it. In addition, it would technically be something you could use with the boomerang, but cannot as that would violate PL caps.

You might be better served using the points to bring your attack with your club up to PL caps, right now you only have +5 melee and +7 damage with the club, putting you at PL 6 caps in melee.

I somehow missed my ranks in Sense Motive when I was transferring my character design to this formatting -- added.

Listed Equpment 2 under feats as well as under the Equipment block.

Tracking Scent is 2PP, one for Scent, one for Tracking. I suppose that should be listed as Scent (Acute), rather than the possibly confusing 'Scent' power of Scent (Acute).  Fixed.

The boomerang does do more damage, but it's not always about more damage.  I'd rather have the style points of being able to effectively Jackie Chan almost anything as a ranged weapon, and it does make it virtually impossible to disarm him.  The boomerang and the club both are in the case of 'I need extra damage', rather than default go-tos.  I don't have a problem being under cap in damage and/or in attack bonus at the start, since this character is extremely new to the whole hero thing -- he'll improve, but he's not there yet.

As for applying Throwing Mastery with the Boomerang, he can indeed use them together -- the damage is just capped at 7, even though it could go higher were it not limited. :P