That's The Way You Need It

"Maybe I can ask at work for you," Erin decided. "You can't walk ten steps without running into an engineer, and this is the sort of thing they like to do for fun in their spare time." Erin shrugged her incomprehension of this, despite the fact that she spent half her days off tinkering with cars in her garage. "I guess there were only a couple like that when I went to Claremont, and one was a total sleazeball I wouldn't have touched with the far end of my bat, and the other one turned into some kind of temporal police officer. Maybe most super-engineer types come into their powers later. Or they just don't go to high school at all," she supposed aloud. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thaelia shrugged after finishing her meal.  She did not have an answer to the question any more than Erin did.  It was true that if one did not need the education they might have reasonably pursued other pursuits.  But, in all honesty, Thaelia had never heard of truancy laws or even the concept of people skipping grade levels.  So the Atlantean actually assumed it was an optional circumstance.   With pursuing a trade as an alternative.  The fact that Claremont was for all intents and purposes a private school didn't help her understanding of the public school system on the surface any better.  

"Many thanks if you are able to accomplish this endeavor."  Of course it was at this point she realized, she hadn't asked what Erin did for work.  Heroism mostly wasn't a paying gig.  And not everyone had the financial backing of an undersea empire.  "May I inquire as to the source of your employment that places you near an engineer that could accomplish this quest?"

"Oh, I work as head of security at HAX, Halloman Advanced Experts," Erin explained. "It's a tech company, but they basically concentrate on finding specific problems and solving them. Like if a company comes to them and they can't get their product built right, HAX will design the assembly line, or if a car company needs a new kind of airbag, HAX will figure out how to make it work. And then they're all inventing stuff all the time, and we in security are responsible for making sure nobody manages to blow themselves up in their own enthusiasm." She chuckled. "And do the normal security stuff too, keep the building safe, stop thieves, all of that. I didn't go to college, and neither did most of my security team, but that's okay, cause there are more than enough smart people around. It's a good job." 

"Hm.  Makes sense."  Thaelia replied satisfied with the explanation.  Security made sense for super's career.  Hero or otherwise the average person wasn't used to combatting someone with powers.  Even if one's ability was something less useful for putting the hurt on than Thaelia's, like say the power to create harmless bubbles by blowing.  Perhaps not that power.

"A friend of mine would have been an employee most excellent in such a career.  She has chosen the path of higher education instead."  Said friend also had her share of family money.  So it wasn't as if Mali was in actual need of the job.  Thaelia never let a thought sit idly for too long.  So of course she shared almost as soon as the concept had formed in her head.

Taking the time to reach for a few napkins to clean up the area around her on their table.

• 2 weeks later...

"College is a good idea too, a lot of Claremont students go that way," Erin agreed. "But school and I never got along that well anyway, and the idea of another four years of studying was kind of horrifying." Erin smiled at the memory. "Besides, I needed the money. It's all worked out pretty well so far. I think whatever you wind up doing, you'll be able to make it work for you. You're strong." She tidied up her own place and picked up the receipt the waitress had dropped off. "You ready to head back? Lunchtime's about over and you probably have some stuff to do this afternoon." 

Thaelia hadn't been keeping track of time.  Not worrying about being late for class was a luxury that being able to cross a great distance in the blink of an eye provided she never dilly dallied too much.  Detention was not fun.  With her meal finished, and plenty to mull over for the rest of the day Thaelia  thought it as good a time as any to make an exit.  This time without causing a scene.

"Let us be on our way then lady Erin.  There must be some securing most grand for your hand to return."  Thaelia responded assuming Erin had plenty of work to get back to.  Not sure, how active working security at HAX actually entailed.  Seeing as there was always someone trying to do something as foolhardy as robbing a bank.  It couldn't have been entirely inactive.

• 3 weeks later...

"I do have some work to take care of this afternoon," Erin agreed, "but it's been nice taking some time out to get back to the school, and I've liked chatting with you." She walked with Thaelia out of the restaurant and back in the direction of the school. "I've never done the whole mentoring thing before, but if there's ever anything I can help you out with, you should get in touch." She drew out her silver bat and dug in the holster till she withdrew a single beaten-up card with two stylized Ls and a couple of phone numbers on it. She proffered it to Thaelia. "The second one is my personal number," she explained. "If you want to train, or you get in trouble and need some backup, just let me know." 

Thaelia examined the cards before pocketing them and pulling out her own phone.  The touch screen was cracked as all her phones inevitably ended up.  The waterproof phone's case had a design of the Sea King as he looked in the 70s.  The sort of thing that could be bought from a mall kiosk.  Wasting little time in adding Erin's number right on front  of her.  "I shall send word if the need arises."  Thaelia stated with a smile.

Truthfully when it came to being in trouble, she was often in the moment.  Training was another matter.  "I too, enjoyed our excursion.  The written tale shall attain full marks."  Speaking of the paper she had been assigned by Headmaster Summers.  Thaelia had no cards to hand out.  But, she could text Erin later to properly exchange numbers.

After playing it cool and not sending the text almost immediately, of course.

"Sounds good," Erin nodded. They walked in silence for a moment, brisk steps eating up the sidewalk back towards Claremont's stately red brick walls. Mostly-residential Bayview was not busy at this time of day, and traffic was very light. "So, is there anything else you wanted to talk about before we're done, any questions I can answer for you?" Erin ventured. Things seemed to have gone pretty well, definitely better than she'd feared, but she wasn't quite sure how to wrap it up. 

Thaelia looked down at Erin with a wide smile and thrust her arm outward.  Her fingers slightly trembling as she offered the handshake.  Arriving on the school grounds allowed reality to hit.  She just spent lunch with the Wander.  The awkward knowledge of a Deep One criminal running around unchecked, as would be Thaelia' summation of the events, notwithstanding.  It was a good day.

"Sundays.  May I inquire to your availability on Sundays?  I would most enjoy training and partaking in mentoring further.  Graduation nears, but the daughter of the seas still has much to learn."  Thaelia  stated in open reflection. 

Erin shook Thaelia's hand and smiled, tactfully overlooking the small tremors. "I have to work one Sunday a month or when there's an emergency, but otherwise I'm pretty free in the afternoons. Give me a call and we'll set something up here on campus, in the gym or maybe the Doom Room. Take care, all right?" She stood back to allow Thaelia to head onto campus for her classes, then leapt away herself, back towards the Downtown. She'd managed to successfully mentor a student without making a complete fool of herself, and she was more than a little proud of that fact. Would wonders never cease?