Will Die for A Paycheck

Electra

Naomi did think about it... just 5 days ago she was just a normal test pilot... now... "Yeah. I can't just be a test pilot all day. There is a lot I can do for people. I mean I love my job, but I got a feeling my night life is gonna be interesting."

"Think of it. I've been given a gift. There's people out there that could use my help." She said, earnest in what she said. "And it's not like I'll end up in the hospital or morgue any time soon. I... I just wish I could fly... like on my own. It'd let me get my talents to places faster. I just don't wanna punch up muggers all day. I wanna get out there and save people that really could use the help."

"I... I really wanna make use of this second chance, you know? And have a little fun in the process."

"If you're interested in taking your passion for flying beyond conventional aircraft, I'm sure we can find a prototype or two for you to test out," Miss A assured her with a smile that was somewhat rueful. "Of course, commercial jetpack technology being what it is, I can't guarantee you won't need to use your resurrection ability once or twice while we iron out the bugs," she admitted. "Is that one of the reasons you came to Freedom City?" she asked. "Because you're interested in superheroes?" (13)

"Actually, the fact that this city is the hub of superhero activity isn't the main reason. But my reason does stem from the fact Superheroes exist."

"It can't be doubted that superhumans, at least the flying ones, are pretty tough. That engine I was testing out that SHADOW so graciously sabotaged was something that was well beyond what I had been using in old Bessie for a number of flights. It can be guessed the higher performance is to compete with the majority of flying heroes."

"To be honest, Superheroes have forced the evolution of aeronautics, as well as the overall use of aircraft in security and the military in general. For a while, aircraft and their pilots were looked on as red shirts."

"That's the thing about evolution, Ma'am... it moves when needed. Capes push Wings. To be honest it was an honor and privilege to be on that cutting edge. I could only do that here, with Archetech."

"And you said something about jet packs?" Naomi said, quirking an eyebrow. "Color me... intrigued."

Edited by The Osprey

Miss Americana waited patiently through Naomi's impassioned little speech, a slight smile playing around her lips. "Aeronautics does owe a great debt to metahuman contributions, in many areas," she agreed. "And you'll see even more of that if you begin testing in the free-body flying division. They're coming up with a number of new and fascinating methods of getting people into the air without planes." She chuckled. "If I didn't fly under my own power, I'd certainly be looking into getting something for myself. So do you ever fly recreationally, hang gliding, skydiving, wingsuits?" (14)

"You had me at Skydiving. Although now a complete failure of gear would be more of an annoying, and temporary inconvenience than something far more permanent. But still the feel of freefall is something I enjoy. Although I envy you fliers. Not even needing a jet pack. I've not tried a wingsuit yet, I wager at some point I'll try it out in any free time I manage."

Smiling she was about 3/4ths through her root beer. "As long as I don't drift into the water, I'm all good. I'm not a Olympic swimmer by any means. Pool swimming is as active as I take it." She said with a joking face. "I wager I'm gonna have one heck of a learning curve with a Jet Pack... sounds like fun. Although I'll always love getting behind the stick."

She relaxed, crossing her legs under the long pleated skirt of her business ensemble. "You... don't really mind someone being civic-minded, do you?"

"Not at all," Miss Americana assured her. "We encourage civic engagement from employees at every level, as I'm sure you know. Of course there's a great deal of philanthropy going on at the corporate level as well, plus the superheroes that ArcheTech provides equipment and repairs for free or at cost. Now if by civic-minded you mean politics, we prefer that you don't officially endorse any candidate or platform on company time, but what you do in your off-hours is your business. Did you have a specific sort of civic involvement in mind? (15) 

"Was thinking more on the level of public appearances and encouraging public safety and what-not in my civilian guise when not being a test pilot. I did sort of hit the news in regards to my survival. I'd have to cultivate a different identity for the heroing and stuff. Maybe for rescues as well. But the public side I think I could really connect, and I think by doing so, it might help people to accept me for who I am."

She looked up at the ceiling. "To be honest, it can't be aerobatics and test piloting. I gotta put forward a good face for Archetech's humanitarian and charitable interests."

"If that's something you're interested in doing, we can definitely arrange it." Miss Americana made a note on her tablet and took another sip of her water; about a quarter of it was gone by now. "If you're deliberately stepping into the public spotlight, you will have to be more careful with your image in all areas of your life, but if you had too many distressing habits, you wouldn't have made it as a test pilot anyway. What do you see your long term goals as being right now?" (16) 

Naomi thought carefully. Looking at the empty root beer bottle. "To be honest my future is wide open, Ma'am. Like this empty root beer bottle. So many directions to take. Like havin' a open flight plan."

"I think first I have to adapt my life to my new condition. Start embedding myself into my new life. I think my goals for the future right now is to simply figure out my situation. Start figuring out how to live this new life of mine, and adapt. It's all I can really do."

"As for goals? I need to simply be the best I can be. It's the only way I can learn about myself."

"So you'd like another root beer, then?" Miss A asked, lips quirked in a half-smile. She made a subtle gesture to her robot assistant, who rolled away obligingly. "That sounds like a reasonable starting goal. If you're hoping to do hero work as well, you'll probably want to start making contacts in the superheroic community as well. Solo heroes are all well and good, but they are hard to get in touch with in times of real threat, so mostly they wind up fighting street crime. A noble aspiration as well, don't get me wrong. Do you already have contacts in the superhero community? (17) Are you looking to wind up on a hero team, or affiliated with a hero organization? (18)" 

"Sadly, the only contact at the moment is you... and you're my boss, so that doesn't really count." Naomi said, shifting in her seat with a wry grin. She was obviously joking. "I'm thinking part of my future on the cape side of things will be making contacts."

She starts scribbling in a small notebook as she continued. "Now as for affiliating myself with a team, I wager I'll only get that far once I make a name for myself. I'm expecting to be solo for a little while, although that won't be of my choosing. I guess that will be just an effect of being a newbie on these streets."

"But not for long."

She squints an eye at what she was scribbling. "Perhaps if I can pay a visit to the Coast Guard station at Lonely Point, or make a contact with the Navy among their rescue pilots. I could at the very least make a contact there to perhaps be allowed to listen in on their radio for distress calls. Might as well start somewhere, I suppose. The city's Fire and Rescue would be a viable place to look into as well."

Edited by The Osprey

When the robot rolled back with another bottle of root beer, he bypassed Miss A entirely and poured the beverage straight into Naomi's mug. "A solid enough plan, " Miss A agreed. "Some heroes start working with nothing more than a police band scanner and wind up doing fine for themselves. And I'd be pleased to give you a call when something seems like it could use your unique talents. Now, are there any questions I'm forgetting, or questions you'd like to ask? (19)" 

"Well, you said something about that jet pack idea... when do you want to start tests? I wager once I get the hang of operation I should be right as rain. But what I might need..." She slides the notebook on to a nearby table in front of her, next to the coaster her mug was on. "...is some flight gear. Something that can provide life support, some personal protection, integrated safety equipment, and is compatible with most equipment on our test aircraft. I wager if you can whip up a jet pack, integrating all that into a suit is child's play... but what is needed is a color change. I was thinking of incorporating it into what I would use for my costume. Dark blue with white trim but otherwise unmarked when I'm Seahawk, Red and Orange when doing test pilot work, of course with a nametag and the Archetech logo displayed proudly but professionally."

She grinned. "The suit itself would have a cowl to it, to cover the upper portion of my face and ears, which would also allow the helmet to be put on easier... and the cowl is removable so when I'm just doing some test pilot work I can just go without. Hiding my identity would be paramount."

"But there's the matter of the front windscreen on the helmet... I know we've upgraded the HUDs on our aircraft to the Helmet projected milspec ARs for our Jets, but the material I was thinking was something bullet resistant."

"The limits of my knowledge I wager is causing me to shoot for the moon, but..." She sighed. "...to be honest I might get better from it but broken bones and bullet holes still hurt."

"I almost feel like I'm implying I can even get all that." she said, scratching her head. Blushing a bit...

Edited by The Osprey

"I suspect we can work something out," Miss A told her, not seeming bothered by any presumption. "It might take awhile to work all the bugs out, but there's not much better acid-testing than putting a gadget to work for a superhero. Who knows, maybe you'll find yourself with the prototype for next century's air force. Though it would probably take well into the next century, given how government contracts work." She flicked her fingers, dismissing the idea for the moment. "It sounds as though you're adjusting well into this new life, and have some good ideas about what you want to do next. I suppose my last remaining question is have you chosen a hero name? (20)" 

Naomi giggled, taking back her notepad. "Although, I got a general understanding of aeronautics, my analysis tells me you can carry more on a fighter than in your hand.  I doubt you want to mass produce armored exoskeletons. They're neat, but a bit brute force. Maybe I should take some extension courses in aeronautical engineering at some point. Improve the mind as much as the body."

"Now if you could make a fighter change into a biped humanoid form, sky's the limit! I wager in space that would be useful." She said jokingly.

Sitting back in her chair she remembered something that popped in her head... at least she thinks that what happened before the pain of her first regeneration occurred. "Seahawk." Miss Americana looked at Naomi. Wondering where it came from as she continued. "That's the first thing I heard before everything became 30 seconds of pain." She said, shivering off her memory. "Not sure why, but I think that is what I wanna go with."

She crossed her legs. "I'll still use the callsign "Trickster" when doing test pilot work though. Just to keep things separate."

Naomi sipped her rootbeer. "I think this is less Adaptation and just moving forward. Adaptation is more dealing with an obstacle by incorporating it. I don't see this as a obstacle, Ma'am. I see it as an amazing opportunity, if I get the chance."

Edited by The Osprey

"That's a very optimistic way of looking at things." Miss Americana handed Emerson her glass of water, then unfolded her legs and smoothed her skirt. "I'm afraid I have double-booked lunch meetings today, so I'm going to have to take my leave. This tablet has a few forms for you to sign for the sake of giving the legal department some way to earn their salaries, and I'll be instructing R&D to make contact with you regarding the flight suit testing." She extended the tablet to Naomi, then her hand. "It's been a pleasure meeting you, Naomi. I'm sure you'll have a bright future with ArcheTech." 

"On it, boss. I wager my supervisor will let me in on the normal flight tests and when my next one will be." She said as Miss A nodded as she left. "Paperwork... all the paperwork." Naomi sighed as she started going through the formalities. "All this legal mumbo-jumbo. Miss A was right."

She shook her head at the page count as Emerson looked at her in an approximation of curiosity. "At least you're built to be scurrying about." She said, putting her feet up, resting the tablet on her knees. "I need a secretary bot."

It was close to the middle of the day when she completed her work, setting it in a prescribed place. There was an announcement soon after. "Please follow the red arrows to the exit." It said as the doors opened and the elevator back down to the ground floor opened as well. "Thank you for choosing Archetech for your employment, Miss Baines."

Naomi stood up and headed out. "Don't be a stranger Emerson." Naomi said, placing her root beer mug on the table next to the paperwork, heading off to her elevator. "I just hope they get my size right." She says as the doors close behind her.