The Building Blocks of Life

GM 

New Genesis Inc ( A Grant Clonglomerate Subsidiary)

The North End, Freedom City, New Jersey

Monday, November 3rd, 2014

4:14 PM

Nestled squarely between Freedom City University and the many upstart tech properties lied the newest startup lab.  Headed by Dr. Francis Newman, New Genesis Inc is a biongengineering firm.  Dedicated to "providing a better tomorrow, today" as the words on the lobby say.  The building was a dome shaped testament to architectural advancement.  

Appearing much like a sleek metallic lotus flower from the outside.  The inside dug below the surface of the city.  Secure access making a break in a difficult task.  In reality, the building was a repurposed supervillain lair from the 1950s.  Each floor filled with its own scientific think tank.  Scientists  are actively rotated among the floors depending on the need of a particular project.  Leaving very few people actively aware of any projects that they weren't personally involved in.

As part of Claremont's Work Study extracurricular program.  Thaelia and Cho had been chosen to shadow Dr. Cassandra Steel for a week.  Just as she was selected to join a developmental study on the lowest floor of the New Genesis labs.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of all of the phases there were when working on a project, Dr. Cassandra Steel looked forward to the very first day more than anything else.  It felt very much like the first day of school.  You get to meet new people, you get a bunch of fancy new supplies and you get to learn a whole lot.  As such, Cassandra practically bounced out of her new Mercedes and ran up the walk towards the facility.  She had actually made the effort this morning to get dressed properly, as one does on the first day of school.  Her finely tailored black business suit and powder blue blouse were freshly pressed.  She had recently had her hair cut to be relatively short, coming down to her chin in wavy curls. Make up and painted nails were still a no-no as she was probably going to be working with chemicals later on today. 

Inside the building, Cassandra made her way over to the security and reception area, handing over her credentials "Dr. Cassandra Steel.  I was assigned to be working on one of the projects here.  First day." said said being relatively chipper.  She had worked for Grant Co. long enough to know about the whole rigamarole of getting signed up for different projects, and she had crawled her way high enough up the ladder that a bunch of these barriers simply started to disappear around her. 

GM

The receptionist was a petite woman of mixed Asian descent in her mid thirties.  Dressed to the nines in a brightly yellow colored dress to say her disposition was sunny would barely be touching upon her.  The name plate on her desk referred to her as Dana Kirkpatrick.  "Okey dokey.  They're expecting you on LL7, Dr. Sam Derns is the project manager.  Your clearance has been updated.  You may proceed."

Before Cassie could turn around to leave Dana raised her hand and made a wait gesture.  "If you would be a dear.  We have two unpaid interns from one of the local high schools coming in for a week.  Dr. Derns has asked to make sure you lead them down when paged.  They're still being vetted and are being given the standard nondisclosure agreements."  The look on Dana's face said more than enough.  'Remember your own agreement, when it came to sharing the details on the project.'

It seemed as if Dr. Derns took it upon himself to try and garner some easy press by bringing in youths for a few days to shadow the scientists.  However, the fact that they couldn't actually speak on anything they saw still defeated the purpose.  Not that anyone short of Dr. Newman would tell him that.  Of course, those who knew Dr. Derns attended Claremont back before Duncan Summers became its headmaster suspected he was motivated solely by ulterior motives.  School pride.

"Sure thing." said Cassandra nodding as she was told to wait.  "Ooooh, I love interns.  They're always so jumpy!" replied Cassandra enthusiastically with a little cackle as she took her credentials back and clipped her ID tag on.  "Kidding of course." said Cassandra seeing the worried look flashing across the receptionist's face.  "If Dr. Derns is bringing them in to help out on the project, I'm sure they'll be a pleasure to work with." she said trying to reassure the receptionist.  Cassandra realized she had an awful habit of sticking her foot in her mouth, or having her jokes fall flat.  She was working on it, but it was still slow going.  "What high school are they from incidentally?" asked Cassandra while she was waiting for the students to be processed. 

GM

There was a loud clacking of her keyboard as the receptionist sorted through her files.  "The private school in Bayview.  Claremont Academy."  Squinting her eyes for a moment as if trying to recognize the name.  "I think it's the school that was bought by Duncan Summer a decade or so ago.   I don't know, I'm from Minneapolis originally. "  Dana replied with yet another polite smile.

The school in question was indeed Claremont.  With students Cho Paige Lee and princess Thaelia the students whom had elected to participate in the after school work program.  Elsewhere, they sat in an empty room with a man in business filling out sheet upon sheet of paperwork..  It did go without saying that Thaelia's stack was larger.  Apparently there was a misguided concern that she was considering taking any information she found, and sharing it at home.

Cho tapped her foot, impatiently. Or perhaps very impatiently. She wasn't quite sure why exactly she had landed up with an intern job at some office building. Pencil-pushing would turn to pencil-breaking, assuming that was the least she'd break, both by accident and by a certain loss of patience.

"So uh, I was wondering...how...how do you write undersea anyway?" She finally asked the Atlantean royalty. "If I can ask, anyway; mean, paper would get wet wouldn't it? And the ink would just wear off."

"Carvings on stone or die stamping thin metal sheets.  Atlanteans whom have studied the arcane are capable of transcribing runic symbols to communicate."  Thaelia responded matter of factly.  Trying to maintain the bit of focus it took to not tear through the pages herself.  Barely tearing yet another page with her penmanship.  "Paper, truly the most fearsome of foes."

For her part, Thaelia was slightly disappointed upon arriving in the facility.  She expected surface worlder science to include more explosions an less paperwork.  Her last visit the North End included more explosions.  It was why she even signed up for the program, gods knew she didn't have to worry about a career path in life.

As she wrapped up her end of the paperwork.  The initial anticipation that had been building had found a way to turn into boredom.

"So, you people don't really write that much?" Come to think of it, Cho really didn't know much about the atlanteans and how they lived. For a moment, the image of an enormous fish bowl filled with people in swimsuit, eating fish food came to mind and she did everything she could to keep a straight face, jaw muscle clenched in a way that could have teared through a few softer materials.

'Good thing she can't read minds...' She thought, looking at Thaelia. Last thing she needed was starting yet another brawl, especially in a laboratory. The two of them really didn't need to start a fight and Cho had very little desire to offend Thaelia.

Edited by RobRX

GM

"Oh goody."  Perky receptionist Dana called out to Cassandra.  "Your guests shall be with us shortly."  She informed the scientist, having apparently received an update on her personal computer.

If Thaelia noticed the slight shift in expression on her underclassman's face it would never be known, as almost immeiately a burly man in a thick grey suit entered the room.  His left eye had a vertical scar running down it and his fingers were visibly very calloused even at the distance the girls stood from him the rigid texture was apparent.  To say he had the typical look of a stereotypical scientist would be way off base.

"After me."  He spoke with thick Turkish accent before turning to lead the girls to their next destination.  Descending down to where Cassandra was the man simply nodded towards Dana and walked away.

"Well...isn't Vik such a social butterfly?"  Reaching for a clipboard Dana would slide it across her receptionist table.  Immediately afterwards turning back to Cassandra in full pep mode.  "Dr.  Steel here are there name tags.  And remember, we're here to provide a better tomorrow, today."

"Why hello there!" called Cassandra excitedly as the interns came into view, one of which she recognized as Cho, one of the individuals that was empowered by the Terminus energies that ran rampant in the previous decade.  She elected not to mention that fact, doctor-patient confidentiality and all that.  And better yet, the other student was an Atlantean, which Cassandra was fairly certain the same one Maxima had met at the Christmas party at League HQ.  Cassandra pretty much had a nerdgasm on the spot at the thought of examining these students and their unique biology, not to mention whatever tricks Dr. Derns had up his sleeve.  

Cassandra was grinning ear to ear and sounding positively giddy as she introduced herself.  "I'm Dr. Cassandra Steel, and I'll be the one you're shadowing today." she said as she handed the ID badges to each of the other girls, and wrung each of the girl's hands, giving a knowing look to Cho so the high schooler didn't think Cassandra had forgotten who she was.  "Make sure you have your ID cards on you, in full sight, at all times." she cautioned.  "So we're going to be heading down to LL7 to meet with Dr. Sam Derns who is the project manager, who will be filling us in on the project details.  Do you have any questions for me before we get started?"

Edited by Geez3r

"Yes, actually. Just what exactly are we supposed to be doing here today? Because I'm really not qualified for any lab-related work. Just saying." Cho pointed out, unsure as to why Cassandra didn't bother addressing her when she clearly recognised her. The teenager concluded that she most likely had her reasons for doing so.

She took the idea and tried to affix it without breaking it. Not feeling like wasting any time, Cho looked to see if anyone was looking at her before pressing her finger on the ID Badge, smudging and ever so slightly melting and reshaping the thing. That should affix it.

Edited by RobRX

Honestly this was the question Cassandra expected to be the first one that was asked, unfortunately she didn't have much in the way of answers.  She hoped having the students walk with her as they made their way down to the elevator, and subsequently the lab proper, would expidite things a bit to cover up little amount they had to say to one another.  "You're high school students, of course you're not qualified for lab work." said Cassandra as she started off on a rather brisk pace.  "If Dr. Derns needed lab technicians on this project that's precisely who he would have brought in.  He elected to bring the two of you into the fold instead, meaning you're the ones he wants." said Cassandra with obvious conviction. 

"Now as to what you're specifically going to be doing, I can't say." started Cassandra as she called the elevator.  "I'm going to be briefed on the project just as you are when we meet Dr. Derns, though I expect in slighltly more detail." she added jokingly.  "Interns traditionally do a lot of grunt work interspered with observation of the technical stuff.  Think of it as a field trip.  Oh and since this is a biology lab, don't touch anything you can't pronounce, and follow my directions or Dr. Dern's directions to the letter, no taking short cuts." she added seriously, knowing full well what could happen if one were to mix chemicals improperly.

"Right, I wouldn't want to touch the Nucloblupoaminoacids or whatever it's called. Last thing we'd need today is an outbreak of giant, flesh-eating mutated lab mices." Cho joked, but at this point she knew she wouldn't feel shocked if a freak lab accident happenned in her vincinity; after the time-travel incident, she had started to accept increasingly impossible things. There was also that time about 'robot aliens' which had turned out to be true. She also noted that 'Nucloblupoaminoacids' wasn't a word, at least not to her knowledge.

'I must sound like a complete ignorant.' she thought to herself.

Thaelia's eyes lit up at the mention of giant mutant lab mice.  "The Daughter of the Seas shall conquer the oversized rodents."  The dramatic posture, and bold extension of her hand afterwards made one thing abundantly clear.  It was a good thing that the demigoddess was royalty with no attempt to conceal her identity.

Because, clearly mundane life was never in her wheelhouse.  Granted she also had no idea what Nucloblupoaminoacids were.  Or in this case that it was an example of nonsense.  But, it sounded sciency and explodey.  Which meant fun in her boo.  However, it all came.  "I give thee my word.  There shall  no cutting short."

One thing was certain about Dr. Cassandra Steel, she had a terrible poker face.  Her face clearly said 'just what the heck have I gotten myself into?' as the two students she was going to be overseeing were clearly going to be... eccentric.  "Well to be honest, a lot of the work done in research labs is pretty boring.  I wouldn't expect you'll be working on anything two hazardous." said Cassandra sounding not at all convinced herself.  Calling me in for a project is one thing.  Calling in two Claremonters?  That's a red flag if I ever saw one.  Just what did you get your hands on Derns that's making you go to these lengths?

Cassandra tried to get herself focused again as they continued on their way to Dr. Dern's area.  "You guys definately have the enthusiasm bit down pat, I'll give you that.  Let's see what Dr. Derns has cooked up for us, shall we?"

"Nothing too hazardous, huh? Then why the two of us?" Cho pointed to herself and Thaelia with her thumb. Cassandra had just mentionned, after all that the two of them had apparently been specifically picked. At least she hoped she had misunderstood that. Because then, it meant that this supposed lab work had some very interesting implications as to why it would two person like that. "Must be some pretty dangerous work, actually. Plus as it happens, the two of us happen to be...um...public about what we can do."

Edited by RobRX

GM

Cassandra led the two teens through the security checkpoint into a private elevator zone.  Scanning her id card they descended.  It was soundproof for all but the echoing sound of the elevator music.  Somehow even the Atlantean demigoddess freely stomping her feet to the tune had no effect on the elevator.  Not even a slight thud.

Things changed when the door opened on their floor.  A loud guttural roar bellowed forth from somewhere.  It was deep viscous and unlike anything one would find in the standard bits of nature.  A middle aged man with a pale complexion walked up to the group.  His somewhat lanky build and salt and pepper colored well-groomed hair was far from imposing.

"Dana sent me a message that you would be arriving soon.  Hello, I'm Dr. Derns.  And are we ready for a day of science?"  It was tough to say whether the man was making a genuine go at being endearing.  Or whether the way he was speaking to the teens was intentionally demeaning.  

As they descended in the elevator, the look of concern on Cassandra's face grew less and less subtle.  Cassandra had always been rather intelligent.  That trait once expressed itself mostly through rote memorization and reciting facts on demand.  However, with her side career in crime fighting, she had become a rather adept criminal investigator.  This was usually not a problem, having capable deductive skills was often a great boon, but when the facts presented you with one inescapable conclusion you were unable to do anything about, it made long elevator rides drag on forever.  The excessively sound proofed elevator, two known super powered interns and Cassandra herself meant only that Dr. Derns had gotten his hands on something dangerous and he didn't know if he could contain it. 

The growl that greeted them made what little color that was in Cassandra's face drain out of it.  What have I gotten these kids into? was the only thought in her mind, completely blanking on even introducing herself to Dr. Derns properly. 

For all the worry on Dr. Steel's face, Thaelia's was absolutely candid on how excited she was.  The princess had a short temper.  But not so short as to care about the Dr. Dern's tone.  Instead she extended her arm.  "Your invitation is most welcome.  On this day your science shall be conquered."

Clearly in her own little world over how exciting the prospects were.  It wasn't that she didn't hear the fearsome growl of some mysterious creature.  Frankly that would have been all but impossible unless one was deaf.  No, it was exactly because of the roar she was excited.  From exploding materials to raging monsters.  Science just sounded fun.  

If one had not seen her attempt at maintaining a diplomatic greeting with the doctor, it might have been hard to convince them on initial viewing that the Atlantean was in fact the upperclassman of the pair.  That was of course assuming Cho didn't react strongly in her own way.  Whatever alchemy they have wrought up in this laboratory most clandestine.   The Daughter of the seas shall enjoy it in all its splendor.

Cho turned to Thaelia. "I don't really think there's anything to actually 'conquer' in science, beside proving previous theories wrong or proving your are right and even then I don't think that's...uh...conquering." She didn't quite grasp as to why the Atlantean wanted to 'conquer' science or how exactly that was the first thing that had passed through her mind.

"Beside, I think we're supposed to help them, not break their things. Or stop them." She hoped, anyway.

"Well you certainly picked an eccentric bunch didn't you Dr. Derns?" said Cassandra as she began to remember her manners.  She extended her hand to Dr. Derns.  "Dr. Cassandra Steel, it's good to finally meet you.  I've been following your work for some time now.  We will have to discuss your forays into the mitochondrian assimilation infusion therapy you worked on back on the Genome project at some point, but for today, I have to ask, do you have what I think you have?" it seemed Cassandra could only keep up the friendly professional banter for so long before she had to ask about the elephant the room, and that particular phrase seemed quite apt given their situation.  It was hard to tell if Cassandra was upset with Dr. Derns or if she was excited at the proposition, mostly likely because she hadn't made up her mind herself. 

GM

"Flattery will get you everywhere doctor.  But the enthusiasm, I love it. That depends entirely on what you think I have, doctor.  A wry smile formed on the doctor's lips.  The man stretched his arms out before turning around and leading the group forward into a large circular balcony area over looking what could only be described as some sort of large nature habitat.

Inside the habitat there was a MASSIVE hundred foot tall creature with reptilian traits.  It's scales looked rough and rigid like a scaled armor.  Its four legs were somewhat stubbly compared to the girth of its abdomen.  Making it quite impressive how it could hold its entire body upright.  To speak nothing of the length of its two tails that appeared as if the ends were bladed.  The quadrupedal creature had two  massive wings spread out.   Apparently fully capable of flight the creature attempted to make its escape.  Stopped only by an invisible electric force field.  

Direct contact with the field forced all its heads to roar out once more.  This time giving the trio the direct tour.  Yes, heads.  The creature had three serpent like heads.  Each looking more angry than the last.  In a way it's appearance hearkened on classic western european dragons.  "Isn't it lovely?"  Looking around the room one could see many scientists hard at work.  Compiling research data and moving specimen samples.  Furthermore, the sheer number of armed security personnel, who likely would have been no use had the creature escaped, was notable.

Normally, Cho would have been filled with childish glee at seeing something this amazing, but crazy adventures had somewhat tempered her, especially since she had learned to accept at how strange, crazy and dangerous things to always happen around you when you are involved with the world of superheroes. Still, she was impressed and amazed, no doubt about that, but immediately she felt a strange creeping doubt that this was not going to end well, especially if that creature escaped containment.

"That...that's a lot spookier and impressive than giant, flesh-eating mutated lab mices. Please tell me the containment is going to last."

Thaelia knew a thing or two about large fantastic monsters.  And that thing was, they are awesome.  She made no motion to hide her excitement practically climbing on the railing itself.  She also noticeably showed no concern at the idea it could be set free either.  The hydra like monster brought out a pure sense of wonder.

With this she turned towards Cho and expressed a nonquestion.  "Science was not to be conquered?"  Clearly she had some preconceived notions of the scientist engaging in some sort of noble quest to capture the beast.  However, her enthusiam kept her cognizant enough to ask her own question.  "Why entrap this wondrous beast?" Not that she thought they would be safe with it running around.

But, it had to have some sort of home where it belonged.

Cassandra jumped back and gasped as the giant beast crashed against the force field.  She paused for just a moment before she started cackling "Oh... my... goodness!  In all my years I have never heard of anything that was this reckless, underhanded, dangerous and yet so very much worth it!" cried Cassandra gleefully as she joined Thaelia to hang over the balcony.  "Don't tell me how you got that thing here or how long you've had it, keep those secrets to yourself, I want to preserve the mystery." continued Cassandra as she waved off any explanation Dr. Derns was about to give.  

She was able to tear her eyes away from the literally awesome creature to answer Thaelia's question.  "In your studies you've heard of someone named Charles Darwin, yes?  He was credited with the theory of natural selection, the means by which evolution takes its course; in that the traits most fit to their environment are passed onto subsequent generations while less desirable traits are weeded out.  In his book, On the Origin of the Species, he goes into great length into the varieties of finches he studied during his time on the Galapagos Islands, noting that each individual species had a particular set of traits best suited for their environment on a particular island. Unless I'm very much mistaken, this creature is a denizen of the so called "Kaiju Island" where a substantial portion of the indigenous species have developed the unique trait of being unnaturally large in size and stature.  We don't know why so many different species have this same trait, but I bet the aim of this study is to figure out how it happened and replicate it." explained Cassandra falling into the instructor role with practiced ease.