Brain Drain

Supercape

GM

1st September

Evening time, with a red sun in the horizon...

The Hanover Institute of Technology was well guarded at night, but it was hardly a military complex. 

Five men, in balaclavas and with all the usual tools of the trade, were breaking in. Wire cutters first, then lock picks. They looked professional, or at least a cut above a tweaking crack addict desperate for some quick bucks. However, they were notable for having good equipment. Excellent equipment, in fact. Power wire cutters, electronically controlled lock picks, remote controlled grenades, and perhaps most surprising, what looked like sci-fi blaster pistols for defence. 

The Van they had come in was large, black, and silent, looking equally cutting edge, with filed off number plates and a number of antenna and dishes, subtle but present, on the roof...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They always left clues. No matter how hard they tried, no matter how efficient, practical, and professional a team like this was, they always left clues behind. That is, if one knew where to look. Terrifica, being a practiced supergenius, knew exactly where to look. A whispered word of street gossip here. A short posting on a Deep Web chatroom there. Certain persons purchasing supplies. Even if the supplies were handed to the crew right before the job, they came from somewhere. Somewhere where they would be noticed missing. Or better yet, never noticed at all. And every career criminal had habits and superstitions. A favorite cigarette brand. A certain meal that guaranteed success on a job. Visiting an old friend. Etcetera.

Tiny little clues that apart, meant nothing. If even one was missing, there wouldn’t even be an inkling that something was about to happen. But. Terrifica looked everywhere. At everything. She put together the tiny clues. Found the insignificant details that others would dismiss out of hand. And ended up here, in this shadowy corner, watching a fairly professional crew with tools they should barely known existed, much less had in their hands, break into to HIT. This job was well planned and thus far well executed. Even she hadn’t figured out what they were after. Yet. But there was time. She could even let them steal it and tail them. Something this well planned had a big name behind it. Or maybe a new player. Either way, good to know who it was. She smiled slightly. This could be a very productive night.

Casey Blankenship was admiring the last of a beautiful sunset from the roof of the Marriott Hanover Square; her father was in town on AEGIS business, and thought it would be a good idea for her to see the city, since she'd be transferring to school here next month. He'd been very specific about not flying off willy-nilly, and tonight she was stuck at the hotel for a night of pay-per-view and room service while her dad was stuck in an all-night planning session of some kind. Not that that was so bad!

But eventually she'd gotten restless and made her way out to the balcony, which had an amazing view of downtown and the Promenade; despite her promises, she couldn't help but imagine how much better the view would be from up on the roof...

And now she sat with her hands in the pockets of her Air Force Academy High School track suit, her legs idly dangling over the ledge as she trained her amazing eyes over the cityscape, catching wonderful little snippets of big city life. A fashionable couple dashing out of a cab on their way to a show, the Monorail wending its way through the skyscrapers, five men dressed like ninja wannabes breaking into a building-

"What the...?"

Casey sat up straight, then hopped to her feet; obviously, the right thing to do would be to call the police and report the break-in. Heck, she could probably just read the license plate right off the van! But how would she explain how she was witnessing the events from so far away? Maybe she could just say it was an anonymous tip. Or maybe she could do something incredibly stupid...

In a flash, she was back in the hotel room, swapping her track suit for a black knit cap, generic pair of navy-blue sweats and a matching hoodie, and flying her way over to a rooftop across the street from the perpetrators!

Edited by Heritage

GM

The five men spent little time breaking in to the institute. They seemed to know the location of cameras, alarms, and locks, and had tools for every job. Either they were very good, very prepared, or very forewarned. Or maybe all three. 

Once inside the institute however, they seemed less sure of themselves. They had a list of apparent items. 

"Dimensional Lenser"

"Quantum Paradox Inhibiter"

"String Arc Defluxer"

"Quark Reambulator"

"What the hell are these things?" finished the last man. They had pictures, but nothing that seemed to match the physics department laboratory they rifled through. It was hardly easy, both the pictures and the laboratory were a mess of complicated wires and electronics that were a maze unless one properly knew ones way around high level theoretical physics. 

Terrifica was disappointed. She had followed them in, carefully sticking to the shadows of the closed building and overhearing them talking. She knew what the equipment was, and had several solid theories as to why they needed it. The disappointment came in when she realized they had no idea what there were looking for. Proper scouting is key to any operation on unfamiliar ground. I thought this was a smart, savvy bunch. Instead, it seems they’re just well instructed idiots. I should interrupt them now, buut….I’m curious. Will they find what they look for or not? And as before, finding out who’s behind this could be very useful information.They are making a hell of a mess though. That’s sensitive equipment they’re tossing around. So she waited, as they fumbled around through the physics department’s mess. A few fruitless minutes later, the irritation with the mess they were making finally overwhelmed her curiosity and she stepped out of the shadows. “Now, now, boys. Is that anyway to treat equipment worth more than all of you put together? I know a thing or two about physics.†She smirked. “Maybe I could help?â€

GM

The rag tag of men jumped out of their skin at the sound of Terrifica. 

"Wha? This place was supposed to be empty!"

"She said so..."

"I'm not going to the slammer!"

"Waste her!"

The comments rose in a crescendo of exitement, the last one practically yelped in a high pitch scream. 

The men dropped what they were holding - which, in a few cases, was very expensive and delicate physics equipment that they were apparently clueless about. the sound of breaking glass and crushed metal was painful to the ear of anybody who knew the true value. 

But with empty hands, the men could reach for those high tech energy pistols...

Terrifica didn’t quite snarl when the men dropped what they were carrying. Oh, that does it. There’s a reason thugs aren’t allowed to handle the equipment. She moved forward, fast. The roundhouse kick she used to smash the “Waste her†speaker unconscious started to make her point. Pivoting on that very foot, a spinning backfist sent the one who hadn’t spoken into lala land as well just as he was fumbling with his pistol. The whole thing didn’t take six full seconds. Her tone was sharp enough to draw blood. “The only things you’re wasting are tens of thousands of dollars’ worth of equipment and my even more valuable time.â€

GM

Zap!

Zap Zap!

Zap Zap Zap!

The aim was good, but Terrifica was fast. The bolts of plasma from the crooks' guns became increasingly wild and desperate, causing havoc in the laboratory. One could only hope the institute had excellent insurance...

"Get her! Get her!"

"She's too fast!"

"Where did she go?"

"GET HER! THERE!"

A triplet of beams sprayed wide, shooting out a Atomic Anticalibrater, which wobbled and blurred, an overhead UV light, which exploded in a shower of sparks, and a fire extinguisher, which started spraying wet, white, retardant everywhere. 

But nothing hit Terrifica. 

Once the five burglars made it inside, Casey quietly dropped down to the street, landing just outside the door. Peering into the darkness, she sighed; sneakiness wasn't really her thing, but she would try her best. She hovered in the air and slowly drifted inside, doing her best to use any furniture or doorways as cover, since she was surrounded by golden motes of light when she flew.

It didn't take too long to find them; they were starting to raise their voices in frustration. By the look of things, the robbery wasn't going very well, which was actually kind of funny. As Casey tried to figure out her next course of action, a woman in black stepped out of the dark to confront them.

Oh wow, a pro! I'd hate to get in her way.

In the next few seconds, Casey learned three things:

1. The criminals were not all that smart (shocking!)

2. They all had high-tech energy weapons of some kind.

3. The mysterious newcomer was damn good.

Still, even the best sometimes needed help, and Casey was already here, so why not? She flew at the nearest crook, fist extended to smack him in the jaw.

Edited by Heritage

The newcomer flattened her target with one shot. Terrifica acknowledged her with a glance while moving. Thug #4 ate a right handed Superman punch, dropping like a sack of potatoes. She pivoted on her right foot and swung her left in massive, speedy arc. The crack of boot against Thugface echoed throughout the room and down the hall as the final thief was rendered unconscious.

Terrifica straighted out the cuffs of her longcoat. “Honestly. Some people just refuse to be helped. Not that it matters. They needed to be removed sooner or later anyway.†She looked at the golden, floating, girl. Certainly underage. She doesn’t appear to be an idiot. Perhaps I’ll let her tag along.“That was a decent punch, girl, but your technique could use a bit more work.†She picked one of the energy pistols and looked at it. “I take it you’re new in town.â€

GM

Squark! Squark!

The radio comms unit on one of the crooks started to life, a slightly distorted, tinny sound, but a woman's still. 

"Are you there? Are you there? What is your status? Please confirm your status. Please confirm mission progress"

The only responses she got was some snoring and a few grunts and moans from the five unconscious men who where in no fit state to update her one way or another. 

The fire extinguisher let off its last puff of foam. One of the lights above flickered and died, its smashed glass shell dripping a few last sorry shards of glass to the floor. The various equipment lay in a sorry state, some of it damaged, and some of it damaged irreversibly. 

Casey shrugged as she gently landed on the ground. "Well, it was my first time punching someone outside of Tae Kwon Do class, so...guess I probably do need a bit more practice." She looked at the unconscious thugs and nodded to herself. "Still, not too bad for my first time."  In reference to the older woman's question, she nodded again. "Yeah, I'm just visiting right now, but I'll be coming here for school in the fall."

It occurred to the blonde girl that the masked woman hadn't offered her name; maybe she wasn't the sharing type? Then another thought crossed her mind as she studied their captives. "Mmm, I don't like this; give me two seconds." Then there was a blur of motion and a rush of wind, and suddenly the five would-be-thieves where lined up in a row, neatly hogtied and missing their pants; Casey stood over them, grinning with satisfaction as she dusted off her hands. "There, that's better!"

But then one of the radio's began to squawk and a woman's angry voice could be heard; Casey looked up at Terrifica in panic and mouthed, 'Should we answer it?'

Edited by Heritage

Terrifica raised an eyebrow under her mask as the newcomer girl hogtied the thieves, but said nothing. She tossed the pistol to the newcomer girl, and smirked, finding her inexperience amusing. “Hold that for me, would you? It seems there’s a call for me.†She took one of the radio comms units off the thieves and keyed the mike. “Unfortunately, your men were idiots who had no idea what they were looking for. They were making quite a mess when I was kind enough to offer my assistance. For daring to be sane and helpful, they tried to shoot me.†She glanced around the room and winced internally. If this had happened at MIT I’d be considering murder right now. Perhaps I could make some repairs before I leave, but I doubt there’ll be time. A pity. “Trying to shoot me is invariably a poor decision. And now, the room is a mess and everything is so broken I could cry.†The sarcasm was thick enough to cut with a knife. “However, since you’ve called…perhaps you are a person of intelligence. A thoughtful woman who makes well reasoned, logical decisions. And so perhaps, just perhaps, you might respond to my offer of aid without resorting to gunfire.â€

GM

"...who is this?" answered the radio after a slight and considered pause. The woman's voice was equally measured, any panic or confusion she may have been experiences was ironed out in her voice. 

"...you presumably have eliminated, one way or another, the men sent to the institute. Whilst they may indeed have been lacking wit, they were trained soldiers. And it seems you have...removed them...without hesitation and with great efficiency..."

There was another pause. 

"Which is most interesting. Please, meet me in the Van outside the institute...."

"Aid may well be needed..."

A frown slowly crossed Casey's face as she tried to follow the conversation; it sounded like the woman in the trenchcoat was negotiating with whoever hired the goons! Was she trying to work some sort of con? Was that how heroes did things here in Freedom?

And then another thought hit her; how did she even know she was a good guy? Maybe she was from a rival gang, and thought Casey was just some random delinquent with superpowers?

The blonde pulled her knit cap down almost to the bridge of her nose, then tightened the drawstrings on her hood until her face almost disappeared.

I really shouldn't have said I was from out of town...

Edited by Heritage

Terrifica strode just past the out of towner girl. “Before we go forward, you should know something very important.†She let the moment stretch before she spoke again. “What you’re thinking is written all over your body language. Momentary excitement upon meeting one of Freedom’s costumed champions. Now there’s anxiety. Am I really a hero? Did you make a false assumption? If I’m a villain, then I need to be stopped. But you can’t do it right now. Because I could be a hero, in the middle of stopping a bigger crime. You could just ask me, but unfortunately I’m not going to tell you. What I suggest is that you follow me and figure it out for yourself. Or are you the type to leave a perfectly good mystery unsolved?†On that note, she started leaving the building at a deliberate pace. Almost as if she was expecting the girl to catch up.

Casey rolled her eyes and then buried her face in her hands; it seemed her newfound 'friend' was fond of tests! Thinking logically, she was probably not a villain; she hadn't killed any of the perps, took them down as quickly as possible, and made no move to take any of the very expensive looking equipment for herself. So maybe she was like a vigilante; they still had those, didn't they? She was obviously very smart, and even more obviously, pretty damn annoying.

Either way, she couldn't afford to let her just walk away; there was a story here, and Casey just couldn't leave a good story alone. So she jammed her hands into the pockets of her hoodie and trudged along after the stranger, clearly not too happy about the whole situation.

Edited by Heritage

Terrifica’s ears perked up, hearing the girl joining her. “Ah, good.†She turned around and started walking backwards. “You’re transferring into Claremont. You must have a codename picked out. The one I use is Terrifica.†There was a brief moment. “You may remain anonymous, if you prefer.†She turned around at the door outside. “I…don’t usually work with others. If you could let me do all the talking and just be glowing, floating, and vaguely menacing I would appreciate it.â€

Casey blinked for a second; she knows about Claremont? But then she regained her composure and continued following Terrifica. "Yeah, I'm going with 'Miracle Girl'." She shrugged. "Best I could think of; maybe they have a class for that."

She decided to take the air once more, which got her glow working again; at the last minute, she threw back her hood, yanked off her knit cap and shook out her flowing golden locks. Motes of light danced in her hair as she folded her arms across her chest and floated a good foot off the ground, doing her best to look badass.

Edited by Heritage

GM

A moment later, outside...

The black van was still there, quiet and sleek. Outside, a women was waiting, patiently. 

She looked like she had stepped out of Paris. Jet black hair, clipped to one side, some fashionable deep black sunglasses. She was wearing a long leather trenchcoat, and underneath some fashionable silver and black dress. She had her hands in her pockets and struck a pose. Her heritage was vague, with some oriental and occidental mix, giving her a slightly exotic beauty. 

"Two for the price of one" was her comment seeing the two heroes. 

"Well done in stopping that theft, which I had nothing to do with, by the way" she said, her eyes hidden behind those inpenetrable glasses. 

"That was just one piece of the jigsaw, ladies. My name is Ms D. I work for a man who has a very significant problem. A Doctor Ring. A brilliant scientist, as I understand it. Except his brilliance has lead to a Frankenstein Robot on the loose. And Doctor Ring wants it stopped"

“Of course you didn’t have anything to do with it. Despite those men getting out of the van where you told me to meet you and having access to the radio frequency the men were using. Sheer coincidence, all of it.†Terrifica said offhandedly. She didn’t show it, but she was surprised by the woman’s appearance. There’s a significant resemblance to me. And the name, Ms D. D for doppelganger? How could that even be…done, with just a brief radio conversation? Can’t. Could be unknown enemy, who excellently hid said status. No. Speculation is pointless. Focus. Although…I don’t like that two for the price of one comment. “Doctor Ring? The scientist? I know of him. He does quality work, even if the general public would think him a mad scientist. The question is, why go to all this trouble? There are several tech based heroes with higher profiles than mine. And there are plenty of others who’d be more than pleased to punch down an out of control robot. You could have just walked in the front door of Archetech and had Miss Americana and Dragonfly on the job in less than an hour. A notice on Claremont’s bulletin board would have brought you at least half a dozen eager teenagers like this one.†She jerked a thumb at Miracle Girl. “So, I ask again. Why go to all this trouble?â€

Yeah, I'm sure you just happened to call their radio by mistake...

For her part, Casey was content to just hover in the background, head slightly tilted forward, doing her best to look menacing; she felt pretty good about it, until she happened to catch her reflection in one of the Institute's windows.

Oh my God, I look like an idiot! I need to get a costume of some kind, so I don't just look a girl from the track team trying out for 'Peter Pan'.

Edited by Heritage

GM

"I am just a messenger for Dr Ring" explained Ms D. "I am not party to his every thought, although I know much. My talent is gathering information. And selling it. Its a commodity I am very good at dealing with"

She gestured to the Van. 

"I can take you to him. Although you may want to fly" she said with some warmth. "Pardon me, but I prefer four wheels on the ground than taking to the air"

"What I can tell you is that Dr Ring is a genius, and he has created his own Frankensteins monster. A monster he feels responsible for, and guilty about. Knocking on official doors for help will land both him and his creation in hot water. And he would rather solve this quietly" she explained. 

Terrifica didn’t like it. Her virtual doppelganger appears out of nowhere, with a story about a previously excellent scientist having made a terrible mistake and unleashed a monster upon the world. There was something she wasn’t telling. It was a mystery. Something hidden behind the obvious. How…interesting. “I don’t make a habit of getting into the vehicles of strangers I’ve just met. It’s dangerous thing to do, you know. Fortunately, I brought my own ride.†She pointed across the street at a motorcycle sitting in a parking lot across the street. Its appearance was utterly unremarkable. She tossed a glance at Miracle Girl. “It can seat two, if you’d prefer not to fly the entire way.†Quietly, she says. Discreetly because he’s gone and done something very illegal. Should the authorities find out, he will have to endure jail time, and that simply won’t do at all. Honestly. Geniuses and their egos. Her eyes narrowed into slits.

“Quietly? You mean without informing law enforcement of any wrongdoing. Considering that the way you’ve told it, his monster is rampaging as we speak, you’ll forgive me if I have little sympathy for him. Genius comes with a responsibility to be used wisely. It’s annoying to me how many seem to forget or simply not care about that fact.†Terrifica sighed. “However, if the damage is confined to his own property and no one aside from himself has been injured, I see no harm in keeping this as quiet as possible. I cannot, however, say the same for my associate.â€