Tales of the Praetorians: We Are Legion

Thevshi

Amara had turned to regard Kharag when he had called out demanding one of the bar employees fetch him more drink. While the request for drink was not a real problem, the manner in which he had demanded it certainly was. However, Sitara quickly spoke up, reprimanding Kharag for his treatment of a loyal citizen of the Empire. The young Naram thought some about what her brother had told her about his trip to Kharag's home world and how the Za'akis had come to be citizens of the Empire. Clearly Kharag needed to come to the realization that he was not a citizen of a larger empire, just as everyone else was, and not a ruler any longer.

She turned to regard Dragonid as he spoke up in response. "Threats and anger are indeed not needed friend Dragonid." She replied. "But our new comrade does need to learn how to treat our Empire's citizens."

Amara then focused back on Moon-moth, who had admitted he had never drank alcoholic beverages before, a feeling of concern coming over her. "Dragonid is correct friend Myothizar, try to slow down in your consumption."

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“Oh I agree about one homeland I’ve spent many more years in space than I did on my homeworld, but I think more fondly of that land than I do about anywhere else than I’ve ever visited.†she went a little misty eye as she remembered about her home long lost to history.

“How about we share a few beers and stories of home.†she sounded more cheerful but caught herself and added “But first you’ll apologize to the serving staff. Deal?â€

"And what could I have possibly done that could even be considered an offense?" Kharag, absolutely not understanding the issue at hand. It was nothing more than a small tribute of brews and ales he demanded, nothing which would cause the person ask to starve to death. A god had demanded a small offering and nothing else or more demanding. It was a simple sample.

Edited by RobRX

Moon-Moth heeds his friends advice and halves his pace, finishing this next drink in two swigs instead of just one, bereft of the benefit being used to needing to stop to breathe he was rather impressive when it came to imbibing alcohol at a fast pace, his tolerance for it however was remarkably less noteworthy and he finds his legs falling out from under him and finds himself looking up at the lightning fixtures from the floor

"So Beautifuls..." he mumbles to himself as he tries to get back onto his feet uneasily, succeeding after one or two uneventful attempts he puts himself back on a chair and continues to regard the light, somewhat mesmerized by it idly reaching out with one of his hands and flexing his fingers towards it in a daze, almost like he was wondering why he couldn't reach it up there on the ceiling.

"It likely was not your intention friend Kharag," Amara began, "but the tone and words you used were not how a citizen of the Empire should be treated. The beings have established this bar to serve patrons as a means to make a living, and certainly are used to having orders made in raucous tones. But 'demanding' drinks as a 'tribute' is even less polite. For indeed, it implies you expect them to give us the drinks for free. While I am certain the owners of this establishment are happy to offer discounts for us, we should not be expecting them to just give us their products for free."

"Anyone who brings us food and drink should be rewarded for his service," said Dragonid through another mouthful of drink. "The people here have shown us all respect we deserve as defenders of the realm, which I thank as well. I tell you I have not always received such respect since I left my homeworld. Some have treated me as a mere beast or less than intelligent. Or merely cowered in fear. Even then, my attempts to demand respect were not to much effect."

He leaned back in his chair to relax again, "This is a good place. Let us not upset the staff."

"Of course one should be rewarded for their work. I fail to see how this is in direct opposition with a demand of tribute. Know that the King, in his wisdom, declared that none would ever work without a place to sleep, a warm meal and freshwater. Do not take me as a tyrant for a tyrant I am not." Kharag, said, annoyed at the idea that these aliens would think so lowly of him as to assume he had slaves. Servants? Certainly. But not slaves. He had outlawed slavery long ago.

However, he didn't have money on himself. On Za'ak, he had never needed for something such as 'spare change'. Anything he needed, while away from his goods, he would demand from his people in small portion. That and money was a relatively new concept to his people as a whole.

"What is your price, then, stranger? You need but name it." he asked the bartender.

• 1 month later...

Relaxing with a drink already in hand, they staff already knew what she liked, Sitara took the opportunity to enjoy the rest of the conversation as Kharag finally figured out exactly what they’d been talking about all this time.

Beaming a smile she turned toward the Praetorian sat next to them and whispered into there ear.

“Do you want to be the one to explain to him the concept of a bar tab? Because it could either be an uphill battle or cost us a small fortune.†there was amusement in her voice.

GM

With Kharag's social gaff corrected, the new Praetorian recruits were able focus more on enjoying celebrating the occasion. The presence of the powerful heroes helped keep even the more rowdy patrons of the bar from causing too much trouble during the night.

A few days later at the outer edges of the Empire…

The last few days had seemed to pass quickly for the newest Praetorians, as they began to adjust to the routine of their new lives. Much of their time the past few days had been spent training together under the keen eyes of Rarrak and a few of the other senior Praetorians in charge of overseeing the newer members.

Late last night, Rarrak had gathered them together for a mission, and they had boarded one of the Praetorians’ Aquilla spacecraft, heading off towards one of the outer edges of the Empire. The journey had been a long one, but now the group was gathered around a holodisplay, which was projecting an image of a brown planet as Rarrak began to explain their mission.

"This is Zeta 845, a planet lying a few light years beyond the official boarder of the Empire. There have been a number of pirate raids on nearby Imperial worlds in the last few weeks. The navy has tacked the pirates here. We have been assigned the mission of bringing the pirates to Imperial justice." The F'terrix stated in his low, growling voice.

The holoimage shifted to show a close up of the planets rocky, barren surface, focusing on a valley with several high plateaus. "The pirate camp is in this valley, beside a large cave entrance." Rarrak continued, as the image rotated, providing all with a view of the cave. "The recon scans were unable to determine the size of the cave, but it could be large enough to house a cruiser. Scans have reveled at least a couple hundred pirates in the camp, although the exact composition of their forces is unknown."

"A handful of heavy laser batteries have been set up at the top of the nearby plateaus." He added, as the holoimage highlighted the weapon emplacements. "They could be a threat to the Aquilla, but certainly would be a danger to our shuttle craft."

The F'terrix looked up at the gathered Praetorians. "This is your mission, I am here to observe and advise. How you wish to carry it out is up to you."

For Amara Val-Ren, being aboard the Aquilla felt a bit confining, after all, she could easily travel through the void under her own power. But she understood that many of her fellow Praetorians could not, and given they were working together on this mission, it made sense to at least start out together where they could coordinate.

The young Naram looked over the holoimage, as she listened to Raark provide what information they knew about the opposition. She looked at the weapon emplacements for a few moments before looking back up to look around the projector at the other dozen new Praetorians that were with her. "I am a much smaller target than a shuttle or the Aquilla." She began. "And I should be able to handle any hits as well. I could make a high altitude approach, draw the fire from these batteries, while the rest of you come in from different directions, either in the shuttle, or under your own power."

Sitara sat reclined at one of the spare consols of the Aquallia scanning the holodata as it was transmitted. Having served during times of war a simple anti-piracy action was almost relaxing

“How much warning have the Pirates had? if we have the time it would be prudent to scout out the area first.†she gave a little shrug at this she knew how these things tended to work.

“If not I would suggest a two pronged attack with a distraction raid here.†she gestured toward the floating map of the area “Whilst we flank them from this side of the cave.â€

"Two brutal strikes from the front or side. One unnoticed strike from the back." Kharag simply said, agreeing with the others, which perhaps could surprise them if they were expecting him to try to argue with them and impose his own plan on them.

"Make them terrified, make them think we are throwing everything we have at them from the front. We will make them believe that an overwhelming assault will be coming right at them, which will either terrify them or make them believe we are fools. It doesn't matter which, we simply need to have their attention on something."

Knowing very little about battle and wars Moon-Moth elects to remain quiet at this time, that his story and he's sticking with it, He's not at all hung over from his massive (for a lanternian) and rapid intake of alchahol at all and he certainly didn't trim his mane because it had caught fire.

Going into battle for the first time was a sobering thought all the same for the otherwise peaceful lanternian, but that was his job now he supposed, to uphold the law and order in the empire he'd personally pushed to be a part of no less.

"We's suspectings..." he begins before finding himself needing to swallow some biles "pardons me...We's suspectings they have little reasons to stand and fight us, now we've located them theys better off outrunnings us in a larger and faster spaceyship." he adds "mayhaps we should sneaks in and deal with their getaway vehicle before we strikes."

"Pirates" scoffed Dragonid, "Cowardly scum. But with those numbers they may be a problem."

He looked over the holoimage with the others. Their plan seemed sensible. "I am not skilled at a stealthful entrance, so I will volunteer to be in the frontal attack, as intimidating and distracting as possible."

"If we worry about the pirates fleeing, maybe we should concentrate on captuing the laser batteries. We could turn them against the pirates themselves if they attempt to launch spacecraft and escape."

GM

Rarrak looked over the newer recruits that spoke up with suggestions before he turned back toward Sitara to answer her question. "These scans are less than one standard rotation old, but we do not believe the reconnaissance ship was spotted. Thus far there has been no sign of any pirate ships trying to leave the system."

He then turned back to the others as he continued. "I have heard several good ideas, but it could prove difficult to try and incorporate them all."

"As for the pirates trying to just run," he glanced over at Moon Moth, "this would not be the first pirate group to believe they had the numbers or superior position to try to make a stand. But generally such groups see little profit in standing and fighting against those that can fight back. In any event, there are navy ships in the sector prepared to help run down any ships that manage to make it off the planet."

Tatiana considers the situation, measuring the suggestions against the data.

"The problem any proposal to engage the enemy comes across is, most seek to corner the pirates. What's more, corner them in their most defensible position, at their most prepared. At present, we only know of the main cave entrance, making any attempts at a flanking maneuver ineffective, as it would ultimately funnel through the same chokepoint to face the same desperate, prepared, and dangerous foe."

She taps her chin, contemplating the scenario.

"The individual pirate must be allowed to perceive some manner of escape, even if it is flight across the wasteland. Those who flee with minimal equipment can be dealt with or safely ignored at some later point. However, we need to know more about the lay of the compound. Depending on how much firepower we can bring to bear on the structure itself..." she considers the logistics against the abilities of her allies for a moment, before resuming. They can probably manage it somehow.

"If a strike team were to touch down atop the base and start dealing extensive structural damage, to the point of collapsing the main entrance as our opening attack, we remove their most dangerous means of egress- space travel- while forcing them to employ other exits to mount a counter-offensive. An infiltration team can monitor the emergence of enemy forces, identifying alternate entrances, likely to be less well guarded once their forces mobilize to engage the strike team. This will allow the infiltration team to enter, neutralize the leadership, and cripple their infrastructure, removing their ability to threaten our trade routes."

Moon-Moth had not managed to speak to Tatiana before getting drunk out of his delicious pumpkin, just from this first statement however he quickly arrived to the assumption that she was keen of mind and veritably a tactical genius, which for lanternians had the low low entry level of leading a hunter gatherer team to the surface and returning with nobody injured.

"A sound plan, I seconds it." as he rubs the back of his head, behind his large eyes in an attempt to relieve himself of the headache besetting him like a pack of enraged sicklers "I Swears, Never again alcohol." he mumbles.

"I am not knowing much of your particular talents friends, but I am feeling confident in whatever role i am assigned, partialy because If needed i can teleports and join another team with minimal effort, provided we remain on the same planet...or its satellite should it has one." he says with the slightest hint of pride mentioning what was the greatest thaumaturgic achievement of his entire people.

When Tatiana spoke up, Amara looked over to the Murian, paying close attention to what the other woman had to say. Amara knew enough about the Muras and the Murian to recognize that Tatiana had expertise in these matters. When Tatiana had finished and Moon Moth spoke up first to agree with her plan, the young Naram nodded in agreement as well.

"I agree as well." She stated. "Stealth is no one of my strong points, so I will certainly be part of the initial attack." She added, moving over near Draganoid. "We should not take longer than necessary, I would imagine the longer we wait, the greater the chance the pirates may detect the presence of the navy ships, or just set out on a raid."

"There is much we could do for shock value." Kharag pointed out, still well set on his idea to use shock tactics, something he had experience with. Coming down on the foe with supernatural abilities and overwhelming them with the terror of the unexpected and impossible.

"However, I suppose we do have to consider the possibility that these pirates are not as easily impressed. I will take the front. It will hardly be a problem for myself. These pirates are considered to be operating beyond the rules of the Delaztri empire, are they not? Being lowly, cowardly individuals with no sense of honor I am therefore under no obligation to fight them on honorable terms." The alien then took a swig from his flask. Whatever was in there must likely be horrible, as the horrid smell filled the air around him.

"Already I feel a certain sense of loss. I would be lying if I said I am not nostalgic for my home." He said, looking at the flask. "There is something unnatural about the air in this ship. It is cold and stale. How do you breathe such an air?"

Edited by RobRX
  • 2 weeks later...

GM

With the Elite's plan selected, and incorporating ideas several of the other Praetorians had been suggesting, the team divided roughly in half. Moon Moth and Traveller boarded a small shuttle craft alongside three of the other new Praetorians, disembarking from the Aquilla starship in high orbit and swinging around to enter the planet's atmosphere half a hemisphere away from the pirate camp, in order to drop down low and come in behind the camp.

Meanwhile Paradigm, Kharag, Draganoid and two other new Praetorians were gathered in the now empty shuttle bay, waiting for the Aquilla to enter the planet's atmosphere above the pirate’s camp to allow them to disembark. Elite was remaining aboard the spacecraft with Rarrak, to coordinate the assault and be in place to react to anything unexpected.

The Aquilla rocked slightly as it entered the atmosphere of Zeta 845, but then settled back into smooth path as it dropped down into high altitude.

"We are in position for deployment, and the pirates seem to have noticed us." Rarrack stated over the system comm system in his low, growling voice. "We are picking up energy signatures becoming active down there, so they are likely getting their heavy weapons charged, and perhaps powering up smaller aircraft to engage. You can deploy whenever you are ready. Duty unto death."

With that, the back doors of the shuttle bay began to open once more, the winds starting to whip through the bay as it was exposed to the high altitude atmosphere.

Amara Val-Ren stood perfectly still as her long black cape began whipping behind her in the wind. The young Naram was not fazed by the sudden exposure to the turbulent conditions of the high altitude, having entered and exited orbit before under her own power. In any event, she and her companions had a job to do, and she was not going to let a bit of wind interfere with that.

Looking over at the other four new Praetorians with her for a moment, Amara gave them a small nod. "No sense in delaying." She stated, as she moved towards one of the other new recruits, a towering eight foot tall reptilian humanoid with a long tail that ended in a spiked ball. "I will carry you Seresk, Dragonid, you will need to carry Kharag."

"Duty unto death my friends." With that, Amara lifted up Seresk's bulky form and flew out the open shuttle bay doors, dropping down below the Aquilla as soon as she was out and turning her attention to the dusty tan surface below them.

"Duty unto death." Dragonid repeated quizzically, then shrugged and extended the wings on his jetpack. "I do not intend to die today."

The dragon man moved to pick up Kharag. "As they say among my people, 'May the Fires of the Fathers protect us and consume any who stand in our way'. I will get you to the ground as quickly and safely as I can."

The leap from the back of the Aquilla was exhilarating, surely the best way to take flight. But this was no joy ride, the enemy knew they were hear, it would be a matter of moments before the planetbound defenders responded to their approach.

Kharag groaned, expressing his intense disdain at being carried around. What was he, a child? It wasn't fit of a King and warrior to be carried around like that, even if he knew it was quite the long drop down there. That still didn't make the whole thing any less humiliating. At least his people wasn't there to see this shameful imagery.

"...Duty unto death." He groaned out, his mood completely soured by the humiliation.

GM

As they exited the back of the spacecraft, the new Praetorians that made up the main assault team found themselves in the cool air of Zeta 845's upper atmosphere. Down below them was a vast, rocky expanse of this section of the planet, with several high plateaus that formed the valley in which the pirate base was located.

Almost immediately it was apparent the pirates knew they were there, as powerful energy blasts streaked past, fired from the weapon emplacements located at the top of some of the plateaus. For the moment, the pirates just seemed to be firing in the hopes of warding them off, or perhaps scoring a lucky hit, as energy blasts went well wide of the five figures that had emerged from the Praetorian spacecraft. But as inaccurate as the heavy weapons were currently, the new Praetorians were rapidly dropping in altitude, and likely to become easier targets…

Moon-moth silently wished his new compatriots good luck as he departed in the small shuttle-craft with sitara, his hangover now mixed with anxiety at what he felt was certainly a test of both the groups and the individuals it was comprised of, his antenna flicking agitatedly in the air as he quickly ran over the various focusing and concentration mantras that had been drilled into his head by Tae'lun decade after decade, a load bearing pillar in any mystics power was his ability to focus but counter balanced with the ability to back off and view the bigger picture when the time called for it, but then magic relied on holding completely contradictory ideas in the first place.

Turning to Sitara he tried to take his mind of his quite irrational worries and the buzzing in his ears he attempts to strike up a light hearted conversation with her "So, gladdened you knows how to flying this thing.." he says nonchalantly as he tilts his head left and right, trying to make sense of the console before him "I am not passed my test yet." he admits sheepishly.as he swivels a little bit in his chair.

Edited by Exaccus