After a brief toast with Riff, Topple and his wife moved on to mingle with other guests and the media, leaving the rockstar superhero to be greeted by Titan, as the metallic hero moved over Riff's direction.

It was about this time that the moorings were leased for the yacht, and the Rebel started to pull away from the dock and make its way into Centery Narrows, headed for the Great Bay.

After Titan excused himself and made his way over to greet Riff, Knute and Karen were left with Amir, the pair seeming to fully understand the large metal man’s nervousness. Just as they three were beginning some additional small talk, Knute directed Amir's attention off towards the forward section of the deck. "Looks like Andy is rearing to get things underway with the awards." He said.

Sure enough, Andrew Topple was talking with the First Officer and some other staff members in the area out in front of the three large tables that had been arrayed on the deck. Topple had a microphone in one hand, but apparently had not yet turned it on.

Amir frowned a bit, "I don't think he knows who I am.  I don't know if I should feel happy, or sad."  Looking to Knute and Karen, and managing to look absolutely wounded.  "Possibly hurt."  Then he straightened up, and moved closer to two of the people he knew.  "I am so glad that Topple wanted to be in front of people with this.  Though I always felt his speeches could use some punch.  I wonder if I can lend him my writer."  Glancing to Knute, "I will talk to you in a bit, I am going to try and mingle with the other recipients soon.  If I don't get back to you, call me tomorrow if you can.  We'll get a day out on the track set up, possibly a romantic dinner for me and your wife."  And then he gave Karen a sidelong glance from the gap between his the lenses of his sunglasses, and his face, even adding an over the top growl.

Then he moved to do mingling, saying hello to the business people, the philanthropists who always showed up at these events, and whoever else wanted good press or the like.  He readily pushed the odd read of the big metal guy out of his head.  He chalked it up to being at one of these things, and not being intoxicated.  And... possibly not being able to swim while on a boat.  Right now though there were more important people to meet than another hero, his friends, and people that he had talked to all the time.  Eventually he waded through the small sea of people as the boated surged into the bay.

The same bay he had plunged into.  While on fire.  Nuclear fire.

...the whole coming too underwater and not breathing though... that was the most disturbing.

He still didn't feel clean.

Eventually he'd find the teenager he'd have been looking for, but then she was out of place too.  Waiting respectfully for the woman that was speaking to give a bit of of space before he interrupted.  "Pardon me, ladies, but may I have a seat?"  The glasses swept off, and the smile he gave was genuine, smaller, not quite as winning as the normal Amir smile.

Asad

Knute promised to call the next day if they did not have a chance to talk again before the night was over. Both he and his wife knew Amir all too well to take any offense to Amir's flirting, and started off themselves to meet with some of the other guests.

Amir continued his mingling, stopping to say hello to several of the other high society types that he knew only too well. As it turned out, tonight it was easier than most to make ones way through the crowd, as Topple had kept the event rather small in number. So it was not long that he found the individual he had been looking for, seated at one of the tables with another one of the award recipients.

The older woman Amir recalled as Mariam Koy, who had been working on an anti-intoxication treatment. She smiled warmly at Amir's arrival, nodding as she replied. "Of course, please join us."

The teenager, Jessi Nelson, had quickly brightened up at the sound of another voice, appearing to be nearing the end of her rope with Koy. As quickly as she seemed to perk up with Amir's arrival, she quickly tried to go back to an act of uncaring indifference and gave a small shrug. "Yeah, sure why not."

Mariam put down her champagne glass as she stood up and extended her hand. "Mariam Koy, Mr….?"

"Hey man. Good to see you too." Riff replied to the drably dressed Metallic Man. His opinion on the newcomer to the superhero scene was still being formed, but he did admit he liked the guy so far. "How have you been? Things were hectic last time we ran into each other." 

There was a slight pause from him as his attention was pulled towards another table. The telltale vocal pitch of agonizing boredom was one Warren could sympathize with. "Hmm...You think we should pull a rescue operation for her?" He asked, nodding to the despondent teenager at the table.

Titan nodded and smiled, “Hectic is a little bit of a…euphemism for the last time we encountered one another.†He looked around, noting some of the others before Riff brought his attention to the teenage girl across the way. Titan looked to Riff and then back to the girl, speaking as he stretched, “Well, we are heroes after all…†Titan then started to plod over to the girl, motioning for Riff to follow him towards her. Titan knew he really didn't want to be here, but he could really only imagine what it was like for the teenager.

Growing up in the more rural part of Kansas, Titan had never really had to deal with the whole fancy party thing, but he figured that this was just the reality that he had to live with now, despite his nervousness and annoyance. Titan continued towards the group with Amir, the teenage girl and the older woman. Hopefully, he would have enough nerve to make it out alive.

Edited by Avorez

"Really?  It seems i am surrounded by people who don't know who I am.  Which is unfortunate for me ego."  He took a seat and smiled, "We'll keep it short, because otherwise I have a ridiculously long name, Mr. Amir al-Misri.  One of the silent sponsors of the event.  Andy likes to talk at the front, I am more a peanut gallery kind of guy."  A side long glance to the teen at that.  "I am, in fact, why most of the food here is less than aerodynamic.  Buuut, I just wanted to greet all the recipients, individually."

Sitting it was a bit weird to extend his hand so he nodded towards her, "I hear you do groundbreaking work, but I can't make hide nor hair of it outside of the abstract."  His propensity to drink was known, as his normally had a drink in his hand, unless he was driving back from an event, which was likely tonight.  He did, however, pick up a glass of water and take a sip.  As he feigned ignorance of her thing being just an instant sobering up compound.  Though he dealt with a lot of science types, and likely he or Summit had a hand in the funding, though he'd have to check to make sure.

Sometimes the size of things made it had to see small details.

He casually fished some cards out of his breasts pocket, and then skimmed through it, until he found the right ones, and offered one to Miriam and then one Jessi.  "Miriam, that has a substance abuse charity I am on, they would like to help fund any additional research for therapeutic uses."

Pausing a moment before he handed one to Jessi.  "Unfortunately, even I have my limits, but if you are interested in financial... things," he waved his free hand airily after setting down his  glass, "I do have an internship slot open..."  He was limited in what he could do, he knew it, and she knew it.  "Besides that, my suggestion was also to give you a fun trip, so... that is still open, or a couple."  Amir stumbled a bit, he was doing his damnedest to not show her pity, because he imagined there was precious little that would do to help.  "I wish I could offer better, but I am rich, and tomorrow the tabloids will say I flirted with you."  Sighs and shakes his head then.  "On a semi-serious note, if you want that internship, or anything else, give that number call, I'll see what I can do, but i am not buying you an island.  They're bad investments."

Settling back, the grin was teasing as he looked back to Miriam Koy, "Though... if you promise to go all Doctor Moreau for me, I might be able to provide you an island."

Asad]/u]

Miriam's eyes widened ever so slightly as Amir introduced himself, clear sign that she did recognize his name, even if she did not put the name to the face.  She seemed a bit at a loss for words he offered the card for the substance abuse charity, but that passed as she took the card, glanced at its face before looking back at Amir.

"I...thank you very much Mr. al-Misri.  I certainly will be giving them a call.  I...I am very interested in seeing my product put to good use helping those struggling with alcoholism.  My...deceased husband had a drinking problem...and I was just talking to Jessi about the dangers of alcohol abuse."

For her part, Jessi looked at the card a moment, her expression showing a slight hint look of disbelief at the offer mixed with a hint of teenage defiance.  But she took the card from Amir's hand, giving him a small nod.  "Thank you.  I...I will think about it."

Miriam gave a wide smile at Amir's teasing as she replied.  "I certainly appreciate the offer Mr. al-Misri, but I really do not think an island would be necessary to do my work."

Everyone

Just as Titan and Riff started to head over to try to do what they could to rescue Jessi from likely boredom, Andrew Topple's voice cut over all the individual conversations, amplified by the speakers the microphone he was holding were tied to.

"Alright everyone, now that we are underway, it is time to get things started."  The CEO stated as he stood out in the "center stage" set up before the tables.  As the various conversations died off, Topple continued.  "Welcome to the Fourth Annual Inspiration Celebration!  And as always, we have an array of very deserving award recipients this year."

"Now I am very honored to be able to recognize such outstanding individuals whose ingenuity, vision and example have done so much for our society and our community.  But I am not alone in this, I am joined in this by two other business leaders who recognize and value the incredible contributions made by this year's recipients.  First, can I introduce Kunte Smith.  Please wave your hand Knute."  Topple continued, pointing out the other sponsor.  "And Amir al-Misri."  He added, indicating Amir as well.

"I know that if they have not already had the chance to do so, they will be making the time to congratulate each of our award recipients personally over the course of the evening."

"So, our first recipient tonight, receiving the Inspiring Invention prize, or gadgets, is Nadiya Schmidt for her Chameleon Bikini." 

The woman in the red dress with short black hair (with a touch of grey) made her way towards Topple, limping slightly as she went and favoring her cane.  The young attractive blonde in the bikini that was with her remained off to one side as Topple congratulated Nadiya, handing her a plaque and a check for further funding of her invention, pausing briefly for some photographs.

After Nadiya had made her way back off the "stage," Topple continued, "Okay, next up we have..."

"Hm, how about you Jessi?  Do you want an Island?  Just have to not go into melodramatic villainy, that's the only requirement."  A cheeky smile, as he was introduced by Andy, and he rose to his feet to smile the Amir smile and wave.  Though he did let his eyes linger a bit over the woman in the bikini, because... well... reasons.

His attention going back to the two ladies, his smile went back down to normal.  "Well I can understand, and if you need help with the FDA or getting trials, I can do that as well.  I am on the board, and they know I was going to be here, so when you call they'll know you have my blessing, or will get me as well."

Moving to Jessi, he gently, tentatively put a hand on her shoulder.  "Give a call, even if you just want concert tickets.  Or something silly."  His expression was sincere, he knew he couldn't do anything really tangible, "Honestly, I should spend my money on more worthwhile things."  And then he addressed them both, "Ladies, I am sorry I have to mingle, I hope you have a pleasant rest of the night, try pistachio pound cake, it's from my favorite baker, and at the very least when the topics get really.... really... really boring, you will be eating something delicious."

As he turned to move, he saw the other two approaching, and his reaction was mild, though he was clearly in full cheeky mode.  "Gentlemen!  Good to see you again!  I was just telling the ladies about the poundcake, it is, in a word, divine."  He paused, with a thoughtful expression, "Really though, you both need to network more, I mean, you are here, just not talking to movers and shakes."  He clucked his tongue and shook his head as he muttered to himself at the foolishness of people as he moved to Deborah Magson's table.

"...Jerk." The guitarist concluded as the rich playboy walked off to another table. That small encounter alone reminded him of most record executives that wanted to sign him on their record labels. It sent a shiver down his spine thinking about them. Riff would have continued on with Titan to their destination if it was not for the beginning of the awards. There was the question on his mind as to what exactly was so inspirational about a bikini. A thought entered his mind-

No, get out. Last thing I need is to annoy or offend a passing psychic.

It was only second after banishing those images from his mind's eye did he hear Topple announce his name. A sigh escaped the young mans lips as he made his way across to accept. To his credit, Riff managed to at least smile and put on a brave face as he shook hands and let the cameras flash. It was another performance, he reminded himself. At the very least the money he was getting was heading for the Electrionic Frontier Foundation. Even with how rocky the evening was going, he was glad at least a few organisations were getting some support.

Taking his plaque, Riff moved past the crowd and took a seat to where he was originally making his way towards. He sat down and nodded to them.

One by one the other award recipients were called up by Topple to receive their awards.  Even with the pauses for photographs, the entire process only took about twenty minutes, during which the Rebel had made its way through the Great Bay and around Lonely Point before turning south to follow the shoreline.

As Jessie, the last award recipient called, made her way back to her seat, Topple called for another round of applause for all of the award recipients.  As the applause began to die down, Topple spoke up once more.  "Such an inspiring group of well deserving recipients, I look forward to getting a chance to visit more with each of them over the evening.  But before we get back to the celebration, I wanted to introduce someone some of you have been asking me about all evening, my new employee, my new bodyguard, and the wave of the future...ladies and gentlemen, I give you...the Equalizer!" 

At Topple's introduction, the man in the red and chrome armor that had been standing off to one side of the festivities thus far stepped forward to stand by Topple, given a small nod to the gathered crowd.

"It is not at all for people like me to make tempting targets for supercriminals."  Topple continued.  "After all, we cannot all be like Amir and have the ability to deal with such threats ourselves.  So if there is another CEO out there who doesn't feel safe, why shouldn't they be able to have their own Equalizer to keep them safe?  If a corporation needs a chief of security who can rise to the challenge of the increasing dangers of our world, then the Equalizer could be the answer.  But beyond the private sector, if a SWAT team is simply unable to provide a city's needs in the face of superpowered threats, maybe an Equalizer is all that is needed."

Several of the gathered journalists seemed ready to start a barrage of questions, but Topple anticipated this and put up his hands as he addressed the press.  "Now, please lets hold any questions, I will be happy to circulate during the party to answer any you may have.  But for now, let's have all the award recipients up here for some group pictures."

Amir made his circuitous route to the head of Whistleblower Inc., not entirely sure how to broach this one.  As too long of conversation could result in her losing face, or be construed as him trying to strong arm someone like her.  And just as he was about to get to her table, he heard potentially the worst new he had heard all day.  He stopped and turned towards Andy, his mouth dropping open, and his eyes wide.

The telephoto lenses would capture him swearing, as he rather plainly said three words in a questioning, if disbelieving fashion.

Amir didn't show off for the cameras with his super powers, it was a fact that surprised people.  Of course, he did like to troll the paparazzi, a lot.  And he almost showed off now, starting to lift off the ground, and then he remembered where he was, what was going on and he settled down.  Andy you've lost your mind.

Frowning, he shook his head, and then affixed a small smile, switching gears as he moved to talk to Deborah Magson, because... well honestly, she and Jessi were who he was here to see.  "So... awkward?  Hello Ms. Magson.  I wanted to personally congratulate you."

Edited by TheAbsurdist

Warren sat up the moment they showed off the man in armor. Now that's an interesting hunk of tech right there. The guitarist thought as he eyed the Equalizer. He was already curious as to who designed it. Part of him wanted to say Archtech, but without actually opening it up he would not know. Or you could ask like a normal person. He berated himself. Taking a deep breath, he stood back up and started heading back to Topple.  He would have to ask about it once all the formalities were done.

Although the paranoid part of his mind started to worry about it. Rich people and guys in armor usually do not mix well, especially if hackers get involved. He shook his head. Apparently attempting to enjoy evenings was starting to become something utterly alien to him.

Titan sat in his chair, sipping his orange juice quietly, admiring the little award that he had been given. Of course, he stopped drinking once he learned the identity of the man in armor: The Equalizer. Privatized hero work…how strange. I see the idea behind it, but can we not be trusted to aid the rich and powerful as much as the weak and destitute?

Titan finished off his orange juice and watched The Equalizer intently, rising once he heard the whole spiel about getting together for a group photo. He rolled his shoulders and readied himself for the picture…all the while shouting at himself on the inside about how he felt his award was a bit of a participation award.

Deborah Magson gave Amir a friendly smile as he came over and greeted her just in the wake of Topple's announcement. "Awkward? Why Mr. al-Misri, I would hardly have expected you to ever really feel that way." She replied, grinning slightly. “And thank you.†She added, shaking his hand. "I would really love to talk awhile, but it seems your fellow sponsor wishes to have some group photos." She then added, noting the makeshift "stage" where Topple had called up all the award recipients.

"Perhaps we can talk more afterward?" She then made her way up to join the others with Topple and Equalizer for the photos.

Topple looked out as the group began gathering and the photographers began arranging them. "Amir, Knute, you both should be up here as well!" He called out, signaling to the two other sponsors of the event.

As they made their way up, Amir noted that Knute seemed a bit irritated with Topple as well. Soon they were up on the stage as well, joining the group as the photographers started taking pictures. The process took a bit of time, but eventually it was done as the group began to disperse once more, Topple and Equalizer making their way out into the crowd with the rest.

Amir was not happy.  And the only person who knew it was Knute (he'd giggle about that line of wording later).  Of course Amir was good at this, probably better than Topple, and he was soon maneuvered next to him.  "The next time you are going to work me into your sales pitch, Andy, you run that by be before, and goddamned well explain yourself." 

The smile never once wavered,  His tone never less than polite, but he handed surprises like this, because it tacitly sounded like he was supporting Andy's mad scheme.  He did not appreciate that.  He had pulled out his smartphone in this, and he was furiously tapping away a message to Ana.

Asad

Topple looked over to Amir as he came up beside him and made his comments. "Amir, I am sorry, it was just an off the cuff comment." He stated, a slightly apologetic look on his face. "I mean, it is true, you are generally more than capable of protecting yourself. Certainly far better than I could."

"Heroes such as Titan here or members of the Freedom League or Interceptors cannot be everywhere all the time. If some supercriminal decided to come after me and Diane when we were out on a cruise, there would be little that anyone on this ship could do to stop them."

Riff and Titan

The two heroes were just heading back towards their seats after the drawn out group photo when another one of the award recipients, an African American man in his late 20’s intercepted the pair. "Good evening gentlemen." He stated, offering his hand. "Congratulations on your awards. I'm Robert Cross."

• 2 weeks later...

"Uh, thanks man." Riff replied as he shook the mans hand. There was a moment as the guitarist started to remember a few things about this man. "Hey, didn't you write Beyond Human?" He asked. While its true that most of his attention during this event had been waning, he was at least able to pick up a few details here and there.

"What the hell Andy!?  Do you understand how this goes?  You quite literally just challenged supercriminals.  On camera.  And I don't know if you are aware, but I have been attacked in my home.  My home, robbed.  Are you going to glue this Equalizer to you for the rest of your life?  That's if they don't decide to steal the plans for your guy.  There is a reason it's called escalation!"

Amir gestured when upset.  And he was upset now.  Or incredulous.  It was a fine line, even as the containment suit under him was lighting up under his clothes.  Then came his hand, slapping against his own face, the heel of his palm digging into his forehead.  "This... this is not a sound idea."  Looking off to the side, likely into one of the aforementioned telephoto lenses, and he shrugged, spreading his hands, even seeming to address it.  "Now, now something is going to go wrong.  Now we are going to get attacked.  Or the Equalizer is gonna go mad.  Or something.  Can't I just enjoy a charity event, is that too much?!"  And then he looked upwards, and narrowed his eyes.  Possibly beseeching Allah.

Titan and Riff:

"That's right." Cross responded, nodding his head as Riff mentioned the title of his book. "So, it probably is not a big surprise that I want to talk with you two. I would be very interested to hear about your powers, and how you obtained or learned about them."

Asad:

"Really Amir, I am sorry to hear about your problems." Topple replied. "You know people like us are often targets, and your acting as a publicly known superhero has not likely helped that. As for my challenge as you call it, well, perhaps I did challenge some. But I think for those supercriminals that might have seen me as an easy mark, they might possibly be dissuaded from trying to come after me now."

"So relax, have another glass of champagne, there is no reason you cannot enjoy the party." He then added. "And if some supervillains do attack us, well, you can just let my guy handle things if you like."

Topple then moved off in the crowd, talking with some of the reporters and a few of the other guests.

He just stared at Andy for a moment, and they narrowed as he muttered, shaking his head, and moving away from them.  Amir's hands clenched into fists unbidden, as the latent energy almost roiled off him, as he pretty much ignored whatever trick Andy had with his Equalizer.  "Colossal jackass...  Just..."  Shaking his head, he stepped away from them.  Knowing something was going to happen...

Then it dawned on him, and he stopped and stared at Andy.  Would he... try something?  Just to prove his stupid little pet project?  As much as an egotist as Amir could be accused of he never pushed any agenda at a nonprofit event that wasn't directly inline with the nonprofit.  It was tacky.  It was bad business.  Unless... That is precisely what you are doing.  Andy so help me, if you are engineering or angling for some stunt to show off that stupid toy, I will spare no damned expense in driving your endeavors into less than nothing.

With that though in his mind, he moved towards Deborah Magson, and he tried to return to smooth, to collected.  But the creeping sensation that this was an elaborate stage show was there, prickling on the back of his neck.

When Amir located Deborah Magson, he found her talking with Nadiya Schmidt, an attractive woman in her early forties, with short black hair (with a touch of grey) wearing a red dress. Next to Nadiya was a stunning young blonde woman in her early twenties, wearing a bikini that shifted colors from blue to black as Amir approached.

"Well hello again Mr. al-Misri." Deborah said in greeting. "I trust everything is well? You seem bothered by something."

"Good evening Mr. al-Misri." Nadiya said with a small smile, a faint Russian accent noticeable.

• 1 month later...

A few hours later….

"This is Nancy Norrington for Channel 3, WNTW, once again reporting from North Bay Yacht Club. Earlier this evening I reported on the kickoff for the Fourth Annual Inspiration Celebration that was taking place aboard the luxurious yacht owned by Andrew Topple. As you can see behind me, the Rebel has made its way back to the harbor, but this time to waiting police cars as opposed to just photographers and news cameras."

"Details are few at the moment, but apparently the event came under attack by a group of supervillains calling themselves the Zodiac. Luckily there were several superpowered individuals on hand at the event to help drive them off. But apparently Andrew Topple has been implicated in hiring the supervillains to attack the event. As the chief sponsor and founder of the event, it is currently unclear what his motivation could be."

"And now we can see the police making their way down the gang plank, with Andrew Topple handcuffed between them. Several of the heroes responsible for stopping the attack are following not far behind. There is Riff, the rockstar superhero, as well as a new hero, Titan. Also present is multi-billionaire businessman Amir al-Misir, also known as the superhero Asad."

“The police have loaded Topple into the back of the squad car and are taking him in to be booked. I am going to see if I can get in close to ask some questions from one of the heroes present, but whatever the case, I am sure this is not the last we will be hearing about these events.â€