The Red Rat

Supercape

The Red Rat

Gather Information

DC 20: The Red Rat was the code name of a rumoured Soviet Spy during the cold war, who went missing after the Wall Came Down.

DC 25: The Red Rat was a soviet agent, the result of a “Super spy†programme. Her activities have got the attention of UNISON, who want to question her. 

DC 30: The Red Rat was part of project “Slaveâ€, using cybernetic implants to control and monitor agents.

Knowledge (Streetwise)

DC 15: The Red Rat frequents Riverside, sometimes in a social capacity, and always has an ear out for people in need or gossip and rumour. 

DC 20: Some of the local gangs, and extremist political / religious groups have been quiet of late. Seems the Red Rat took them down.

Knowledge (Current Events or Business)

DC 15 The Red Rat likes to hunt down corruption and white colour crime, and has busted more than a few quasi-political illegal organisations.

DC 25: Some big businesses and organised crime groups have privately and covertly put out word that a "hit" on the Red Red would be well rewarded...

20 Questions:

1.       Where is your hero from?

Budapest, Hungary.

2.       How would your hero physically describe him/herself? Is this different from how others would?

Awesome body, cool hair, and killer smile. ..

…

Oh yes, and I can turn into a Neandertal ape woman, or a Superbrain weakling.

3.       Does your hero have distinguishing speech characteristics or recurring mannerisms?

I have a slight eastern European accent I slip into sometimes.

4.       What is your hero's motivation?

Freedom for everyone, fight corruption and extremists, and most importantly…danger and thrills!

5.       What are your hero's greatest strengths and weaknesses?

Beauty, Brains, and Brawn. And modesty.

But radiation makes me crazy!

6.       What does your hero love? What does your hero hate?

I love artists, beatniks, musicians, and non-conformists.

I hate power in the hands of too few, or one.

7.       How would you describe your character's mental and emotional state?

I’m pretty laid back and happy, a bit of an extrovert. About the only thing that causes me a headache is the computer inside my brain and memories of the past.

8.       What does your hero fear the most?

Getting caught by any secret agency! Or boredom….

9.       What is your character's greatest ambition?

Bring down dictatorships! Live life to the full!

10.   How does your hero feel about the state of the world and his/her place in it?

Its great! Much better than the sixties, although perhaps it lost a little from that decade too. Freedom reigns, and the world is fairer. I want to keep it moving that way.

11.   Does your hero have any prejudices? How does he/she get along with others?

I get on well with most people, particularly those at the edge of society.

12.   Where do your heroes loyalties lie? In what order?

To freedom, to my friends, to myself. What order? Hell knows!

13.   Does your hero have a lover or partner? How do they feel about the hero now?

I have a few special friends! (winks)

14.   Does your hero have a family? What is the relationship there like?

Not alive

15.   How would the people closest to your hero describe him or her?

Friendly, gregarious, possibly disinhibited.

16.   Is your hero a role model?

Maybe. I stand up for freedom and fairness. I perhaps am a bit too radical to be a role model for the white collar man.

17.   How spiritual is your hero? Does your hero follow a relgious tradition?

Not really. Grew up in Orthodox household, but that’s a distant memory now.

18.   Is your hero part of a team, or would he/she like to be? Why?

No, but who knows? Open to suggestion.

19.   How does your hero feel about the place of metahumans and aliens on Earth?

Same as everyone else. Fairly they should treat us, and treat them fairly.

20.   If you could give one piece of advice to your hero, what would it be?

Keep both eyes open! And your ears! You never know what’s coming around the corner! Trust no one!

Hell Q

Introduction

Who are you? Sum yourself up in one sentence.

The Red Rat, Soviet Superspy!

Do you have any nicknames, street names, titles, or nom de plume?

I have several false passports and ID. I go by the name Noemi Newman.

What is your full birth name?

Noemi VonNeumann

Where do you live?

Riverside, in a small apartment I rent.

How old are you? What year were you born (if applicable)?

Technically I was born seventy years ago, in 1944, at the end of the war. However, I have been in suspended animation for a few dozen or more years, on and off. It’s hard to keep track!

Physical Traits

What is your gender? If not applicable, please explain.

Female

How would you describe your heritage?

Slavic, Nordic or Eastern European, maybe a mixture of all.

How tall are you?

5’9â€

What is your body type?

Muscular, toned, trim.

Do you have any particular weaknesses, such as allergies or physical disabilities?

Yes, I react very badly to radiation.

How do you carry yourself? Are you graceful, or heavy on your feet? Can you be stealthy, do you walk with confidence?

Lithe, stealthy.

Describe your skin, eye, and hair color.

Usually a rich tan, blonde hair, green eyes.

How do you wear your hair, if applicable? Do you have facial hair?

Up when I am working or out and about. As the Red Rat, down.

Do you consider yourself attractive? Do others?

Yes!

Do you have any scars, tattoos, piercings, or birthmarks?

Ear piercings

Do you resemble anyone famous?

No

Do you have a dominant hand?

No

What kind of clothing do you wear?

Anything and everything. I am as home in street urban gear as I am in a ball gown. Not that I own many expensive items!

Do you wear makeup?

Yes, but not too much.

What is your vocal range? Is your voice distinctive in some way?

No

Do you have any distinctive habits, nervous tics, or mannerisms? Where did they come from, and what causes them? Do other people notice and remark on these habits? Do they annoy you or other people?

I have a tendency to check things, like people for wires or taps!

History

Where do you come from?

The USSR

Have you made any major moves, or do you live in your hometown?

Yes, I moved to Freedom City recently.

Do you feel loyal to your country of citizenship? Do you consider yourself patriotic? How do you feel about the government of your country?

I don’t have a legal (only a forged) citizenship. As for America, I like its passion for freedom and liberty. Although it can also be a home to greed and corruption. I am more patriotic to the ideal than the country.

How do you feel about the place you come from?

I wish it the best of luck! I hope it pulls itself together. It still looks shaky, but its better than it was.

Where is your home town? What was/is it like?

Budapest, Hungary. It was oppressive.

Growing up, were most of the people you knew similar to you, or were you somehow a minority? How did that affect you?

Yes and no. I was a regular girl, but hung out with hippies, radicals, anarchists, and political activists resisting the Soviet regime.

Is there something you've always been really good at or really bad at? How has that affected your life?

Not particularly. I learned a lot later on in life.

Were there any traumatic experiences in your early years (death of a family member, abandonment, orphaned at an early age)?

No.

Briefly describe a defining moment in your childhood and how it influenced your life.

There were none in particular, but I do remember fondly playing in the fields, with my family, mothers cooking, which she did well despite the problems with buying.

What stupid things did you do when you were younger?

I got into lots of scrapes, bangs, bruises. Broke my foreharm once jumping out of tree. I was a thrill seeker.

Where did you go to school? How much school did you have, and did you enjoy it?

Budapest. I quite liked school. I was good at most subjects, although not brilliant. I started university there, reading politics, psychology, and philosophy, but I dropped out as I got more into active politics. I enjoyed it though.

Do you have any mementos of your childhood? What are they, and why did you keep them? If you have none, why not?

No, they were all taken when I was captured by the KGB.

When did you decide to become a hero? Why? Did anyone influence you one way or another in the decision?

Because I was manipulated and used, and I want to undo what I did, and make a brighter future for everyone. Also, I just plain like thrills!

Is the reason you give people for becoming a hero different than your real reason? If so, why?

No, I am honest about that.

Do you have any deep, dark secrets in the past that may come back to haunt you?

Yes, I acted over several decades as a KGB agent, and did some horrible things.

Do you represent yourself as being different from who you really are? Why?

No, I am pretty much myself.

If you do have these secrets, what do you fear would happen if the truth became known? How far would you go to protect those secrets?

I wouldn’t go far at all to protect the world from what I did, but I wouldn’t enjoy it. The world would have to hear my side of the story. It wasn’t me, it was a brainwashed, coerced me.

Do you have any sort of criminal record? If so, is it public knowledge?

Probably, in Western Europe, when acting for the KGB. It was years ago though.

Family

What are your biological parents' names?

Zoltan VonNeuman (father) and Szuzsa VonNeuman (mother)

Were you raised by them? If not, please explain and describe who raised you.

Yes

What was their standing in the community? What did/do they do for a living?

Poor oppressed workers of the Soviet Regime! My father was a baker, my mother was a cook.

Where are your parents now?

Long dead

Did your family stay in one area or move around a lot?

They stayed in Budapest

How did you get along with their parents? How do you get along with them now (if applicable).

I got on very well. I had very proud, loving parents.

How do your parents view you now, or how would they?

I think they would be sad for all I went through, but relieved I came through it alive.

Do you have any siblings? If so how many and what are their names? Describe your relationship with them.

No

Do you love or hate one member of the family in particular?

No

Is any member of the family special to you in any way (perhaps, as a confidant, mentor, or arch-rival)?

No

Are there any black (or white) sheep in the family (including you)? If so, please explain.

No

Do you have a notorious or celebrated ancestor? If so, please explain, including how it has affected your life.

No

Do you have a partner and children currently? If so, please describe them.

No

If you do not have a partner or children, do you want them someday? How firm are you in your opinion on this, and what might change your mind?

Yes, although I understand that my mutation makes me highly unlikely to conceive.

What type of person would be your ideal mate?

Smart, and kind, and big arms!

Relationships

Do you have any close friends? If so, please describe them, and how you came to be close to them.

I am friends with a half dozen artists, beatniks, and regulars who frequent Riverside.

Do you have a best friend? If so, how did they become your best friend? How close are you to your best friend?

Yes, Charley Chalks, the radio operator at EZ parks. She is very funny, and really helpful. I clicked with her straight away. She is a bit young and inexperienced, but has a big heart. And a habit of getting into trouble, and trying to be too helpful.

If you were to go missing, who would worry about you?

My friends, and Big Easy Earl, my boss.

Have you lost any loves? If so, how did it happen, and what did you do?

A few, but nobody really special.

Do you have any bitter enemies? If so, please describe them and their history with you.

No

What is the worst thing someone has done to you?

Arrested me for treason, brainwashed me, experimented on me, implanted a computer into my skull, and made me an agent of the Soviet State.

Where do your loyalties lie? In what order?

Freedom, my friends, and myself. Hell knows about the order.

Who or what do you trust the most? Why?

Myself, mainly, I am confident!

Who or what do you despise? Why?

Authorities or Autocracy, closed minded people.

What qualities do you admire most in other people? Are these qualities you possess?

Being fun loving, being kind, and being unusual or edgy!

What qualities do you hate most in other people? Do you have any of those qualities?

Bigots, mainly. And I am not one!

Do you have a secret identity? If so, who knows it? Do you hide it from people who are close to you? Why?

Yes, as Noemi Newman. Only Charley knows I am the Red Rat. She is pretty mouthy, but keeps that one close to her chest.

Do you work well on teams and in groups? Are you a leader or a follower?

Both. I can lead, but burning need to. I don’t follow so well. Did enough of that…

Are you on a super team? If so, how do you get along with your comrades? Do you trust them, or do you have secrets from them?

No

Are you a member of any church, fraternal organization, club, committee, political party, or other group? How much time do you spend on that?

Yes, I am a member of a few clubs at Riverside, like the local cinema club, Poetry club, Jazz club.

Personality & Beliefs

Who are your heroes?

The American Founding Fathers, and the brave souls who stood up against communism.

Did you ever become disillusioned with former heroes or idols? If so, why and what were the circumstances?

No

Do you like being a hero? If so, what is the most rewarding part? If not, what makes you keep doing it?

I love it! I get off on the excitement and the danger.

Is there anything that would make you give up hero work, or even switch sides?

No

What are your short term goals (what would you like to be doing within a year)?

Adjust to the modern world, get some cash, and have friends.

What are your long term goals (what would you like to be doing twenty years from now)?

Find out all about the Soviet Machine that created me, and its tendrils in the States. If applicable, bring them down.

What is your greatest fear? Why? What do you do when something triggers this fear?

Going back to the past. That the computer inside me takes over.

Is there anything you would give your life for?

Big things like saving the world. I like my life!

How do you feel about money and material wealth? Do you desire it or disdain it? Are you miserly with what you have, or do you like to share? Is it a mark of success, or a means to an end?

I like cash, no questions. But I don’t like how it falls into the hands of the rich and greedy to easily, and into the hands of hard working men and women to hard.

How do you generally treat others?

With a smile

Are you a trusting person? Has your trust ever been abused?

Yes, and no. In principle, I was always trusting and grew up in a trusting family. But spy training…well, I have my training kick in….

Are you introverted (shy and withdrawn) or extroverted (outgoing)? Do you have a lot of self-confidence?

Extroverted, and confident.

How do you act around attractive, available members of your preferred sex?

I go for it!

What are your most annoying habits?

Over enthusiasm.

Do you feel contempt for any general category of people? Who are they, and why?

Its not so binary, but I feel more affinity towards those at the edge of society than those who are in the middle of it.

What is your favorite food? Do you prefer any particular type of food? Do you take the time to enjoy your food, or do you eat as fast as you can?

Gulasch, it reminds me of my childhood.

What is your favorite drink (alcoholic or otherwise)?

Vodka

What is your favorite treat (dessert)?

Chocolate Ice cream

Are there any specific foodstuffs that you find disgusting or refuse to eat?

No

What is your favorite color? Are there any colors you dislike?

Red!

What sort of music do you like? Is there any that you hate?

Jazz and indie.

If you have a favorite scent, what is it?

Crop fields.

Do you have a favorite animal?

No

What is your most treasured possession? Why?

I suppose my fake identity documents! They make life possible!

Do you enjoy "roughing it", or do you prefer your creature comforts?

Both. I like the rough, I like the luxury.

Is there a job or a task you would absolutely refuse to do?

Murder or torture.

Do you consider yourself a spiritual person? If so, how do your beliefs affect your life?How important is it to you?

Not  really. I grew up Orthodox but that has faded with years and reality.

Was your faith influenced or molded by anyone special?

My parents

If you belong to a religious organization, how often do you attend? Do you have a specific place of worship, or friends within the organization? How much do you agree with the beliefs of your organization?

No

Could you kill? Have you killed?

I have on several occasions in the past. I could certainly do so again if needed. But that’s the point, isn’t it? Whether you need to…

What circumstances led to you forming that conviction, or taking that action?

My years working as a KGB agent!

Are there circumstances under which you believe it is permissible to kill? What are they?

Of course. To save yourself, or somebody else.

How would you react to watching someone kill another person? Would your reaction be different if the killer was a friend or an enemy of yours?

I have seen it before. Its never nice, but I have seen it enough to not let it overwhelm me.

How would you react if something important was stolen from you?

Pretty furious, and would hunt the !$%£†down!

How would you react to public humiliation?

Mortified! Let me save my face!

How would you react if a good friend or relative were purposely or accidentally killed? Has it happened to you?

Angry and upset. It hasn’t happened since I moved…

What do you consider to be the worst crime someone could commit and why?

Torture, or destroying somebody’s spirit.

If your life were to end in 24 hours, what five things would you do in those remaining hours?

Make love, make peace, swim, run, and dance.

Career & Training

Do you have any special training in your hero skills? If so, where and how did you get it?

Yes, I was a KGB agent. I wouldn’t say I was highly trained, but I learned a bit of spycraft. A bit of everything really.

Who taught you the most about your heroing abilities? What was your relationship with that person?

The Soviet Union.

Do you have any particularly unusual skills? How did you acquire them?

No

Do you do something besides hero work for a living? Have you ever done anything else, or do you plan to?

I drive a Taxi for “EZ carsâ€

What is your preferred combat style?

Effective and flashy both! I know practical martial arts such as Sambo and Krav Manga

Have you ever received any awards or honours?

No

What skill areas would you like most to improve in? Is there anything you can't do that you wish desperately you could?

No

How do you act around people who are more skilled than you in areas you'd like to improve? Are you jealous, or do you try and learn?

Try and learn, and be jealous!

Lifestyle & Hobbies

What is a normal day for you? How do you feel when something interrupts this routine?

Depends on my work shift, although that is pretty flexible. When I am not working, sleeping, or reading, I hang out at Riverside. No standard day for me.

Do you have any hobbies, or interests outside hero work? What are they, and where did you pick them up?

Yeah, I read a bit. Try to keep up with Philosophy, Politics, and Psychology.

What do you do for fun?

Bars, Music clubs, old cinema.

Do you have a costume? What does it look like?

A spandex top, crop cut, with leggings and boots. A brown-red Jacket with a motif on the back.

How do you normally dress when not in costume?

Relaxed, bohemian, but anything really. I can dress up sometimes.

What do you wear to bed most nights?

Nothing!

Do you wear any special jewelry? What is it, and what does it look like?

No

Do you have a special place where you keep your valuables?

What valuables?

What's your preferred means of local travel? How about long distance?

Car or Taxi! But I use the subway and public transport too. I like walking and running or jogging.

Miscellaneous

Have you ever made a will, or tried to make arrangements for your death? What provisions did you make?

No

If your features were to be destroyed beyond recognition, is there any other way of identifying your body?

My DNA?

What would you like to be remembered for after your death?

Bad start, good finish.

Do you believe you pose a threat to the public? Why or why not?

Possibly. The Soviet Computer in my head is a bit worrisome. I don’t know exactly what it can do…

What do you perceive as your greatest strength?

My adaptability!

What do you perceive as your greatest weakness?

My past!

As a player, if you could, what advice would you give your character? Speak as if he/she were sitting right here in front of you. Use proper tone so they might heed your advice...

Keep your eyes open, don’t trust without trustworthiness, ignore the computer, and have fun.

Vignette: Origin Story

Cold.

It was always cold, when she went to sleep. It was always cold when she woke up.

Then, slowly, inch by inch, warmer. It was not an easy thing, waking up from cryo-sleep. Few could do it. She could. Noemi VonNeuman, also known as the Red Rat, could adapt to nearly anything.

How many years had it been this time? How many winters and summers had passed since they last put her to sleep? She could never tell. Sometimes it was but months, sometimes a decade.

As it grew warmer, she felt herself drift into wakefulness and clarity. The dim memories of winters with her parents faded, and reality sunk in. Her parents were dead, long gone. She was now an agent of the Soviet Union, awoken again for some mission.

The computer attached to her skull woke up to. If it ever truly went to sleep. She saw the text scrolling in her eyes. Even her eyes were not her own. Bright and green they might be, but totally artificial. Linked to Slave, the computer system in her head. A gift from the glorious Soviet Union.

Cryostasis terminated: Stand by for Orders.

The usual mechanical, lifeless message she got every time.

….Stand by....

What was this? Something new?

No briefing available. Unable to contact. Standby….Standby….

She could almost persuade herself that Slave was agitated.

The crystal ice melted, and her vision cleared. Then, voices, faint at first then louder.

“Gods! She is still alive! Get a medical team here, now!â€

As the final ice melted from her, she saw the speakers. Five of them, wearing uniforms she did not recognise at first. Familiar, familiar, but different…

UNISON?

The style had changed, but the colours and motif were there. Yes, it must be UNISON. She had had a few shakes with them, when the Soviet Unison operated her in more tricky situations.

How long has she been out?

She sat up, still groggy.

“Keep still, ma’am! You have just come out from cryogenic stasis! We have a medical team en route!â€

Full operation restored. No standing Orders. Await further Instruction…Await further instruction came slaves readout.

She shook her head.

“I’m fine, don’t worry…I’m fine. Where are we? What year is this?â€

The UNISON agents looked at each other. “You are in Berlin, Ma’am. And its 2014â€

2014??? She was last active in 1988…that made over twenty five years! What had happened?

She remembered the situation in 1988. Things were getting difficult, the Soviet Union was beginning to crack, and the clandestine operations of the KGB were getting defensive, scared, and corrupt. It was a nasty time.

She looked around the room. Same downbeat, grey station, hidden underground in East Berlin like so many other stations. But dust, yes, dust, everywhere. Even in the air.

A reflex kicked in. “Who is operation manager?†she said, remembering the drill every time she awoke.

“Operation manager? Who do you mean? This base hasn’t been operational for decades…â€

“So what are UNISON doing down here?†she asked.

“We found records of this place. Came here to excavate…Russians aren’t too pleased, but it’s a UNISON project, and they are part of UNISON…â€

“The Russians? Part of UNISON? When did that happen?â€

“Take it easy, ma’am. A lots changed…the USSR is no more, and Germany is reunified, and…well, a lot has changed…best take it slowly…â€

One UNISON agent consulted his laptop, and whispered to another. She barely overheard. Something about a “Positive ID†and “Take her in…â€

Figured. Between the stations secrets and her activity over five decades, somebody would click who she was. Or at least suspect.

“Ma’am, I know this is quite a shock, but you need to come with us to…debrief…â€

A pause. A lull. Fingers were moved closer to handguns. Signs of tension.

Warning: Analysis indicates subdual and restraint imminent. Target: Western Imperialists. Five. Armed with unknown hand weapons. Movement indicates preparation to subdue or attack. Encircling beginning. Retaliatory action against Capitalist Oppressors strongly advised…

The shuffles of the men were plain to see.

She felt groggy, still, confused. Waking up was hard to do, and Slaves advice, along with her reflexes, seem to light the way. This was freedom! Her old handlers gone. Slave was no longer under their whip, and neither would she be. This was her chance…and she was not going to swap one agency for another, even if it was more benign.

Time to go.

“Debrief? Of course….â€

She smiled.

It was not quick, it was not easy. There were five of them, and even if UNISON agents were not trained soldiers, they were no pushover, and they were armed. And the Red Rat wanted to start this decade, no, this new life, without the dirty palate of her previous one.

A kick, a punch, a shove of a gun. Duck, punch, kick. Turn. Too slow. Crack…A bullet in her thigh. Spin, punch, throw. Last one behind her…crack…shoulder this time…fall, roll, kick the legs out, and lunge. Messy.

Targets neutralised. Warning: Trauma. Seek Medical Aid if Possible!

“Not possible, Cimbora†she said, sarcastically. She looked at the bullet wounds. Nasty, but not too nasty. And there was a first aid kit here, somewhere.

Where to go? What to do? Freedom had landed on her lap, and she wished to seize it with both hands.

What was that place in America?

Freedom City.

Perfect.