GM

An abandoned hotel on lantern Hill, Freedom City, Earth

2014, June 12th, 12.02 PM

It had started small, like most problems do. Something that caught the eye, but easily dismissed as a trick of the light, hazy memory, or the work of an over-active imagination. Then it got bigger, more clear, harder to ignore. Maybe window shivered like rubber, someone's faced changed in the flicker of a second, something you knew you'd seen, maybe you heard the asphalt speak to you. That was when the first suspicions arose.

Then Eldrich appeared, in full view of the public, warning the world about an encroaching, overpowering evil that needed to be destroyed He swore to uphold his duty as Master Mage and die, if necessary, to save all. Gathering a band of other heroes, he and they departed to battle the new threat. That was a month ago.

But the inklings didn't stop. They grew. They weren't frequent, and almost none could detect them, but those who beheld had no doubts any more that something was very wrong.

Now, three of bustling Freedom City's heroes have gathered in a secluded place, a broken-down old hotel on the far side of stately and severe Lantern Hill, to discuss their discoveries and determine what, if anything, can be done about this mystery,

Foreshadow stepped lightly as he entered the agreed upon location.  The first thing that he did upon arriving was make a quick sweep.  They couldn't afford to be seen or heard.  Not that anyone was ever likely to frequent this ratty hotel.  Chances were the last time it had this many guests checking in was the late fifties.  It certainly smelled like it.

His arm traced over everything as he walked nearby.  Direct contact was not needed he was spatially aware of his immediate surroundings.  It was an intuitive secondary effect of his powers.  One that was connected to an immediate danger sense so to speak.  An alarm that would tug away at the base of his skull when presented with immediate trouble that hadn't found some means of preventing his psionic abilities of forewarning.  

Even after becoming positive that the meeting grounds was uncompromised, he pulled out his custom made high polymer staff. Sighing softly beforehand, Foreshadow leaned his back against a nearby wall.  Taking a look at his watch, it was a habit one that was silly in retrospect, prepared to bemoan a lack of punctuality.  After all if the blind guy could find his way there on time...

The thud of heavy set boots could be heard to anyone in the room, the sound approaches the door, and the door swings open with a creek but nothing appears through right way.

Baby Brawler walks up to the door to the dingy hotel listening to her boots echo through the rooms. Stopping at the designated door she reaches out and gives it a slight push to open it up pausing before entering to see if she can hear any sounds coming from within. Not hearing anything she steps through the door and looks about the area.

Seeing the individual leaning against the wall, she looks him up and down and finishes looking the place over to see if anyone else is present. Then addresses the stranger, “I am glad to see I am not the last one here.† 

Clumping footsteps resounded in the hall until a dirty-looking woman appeared in the hallway. Long, brown hair was tied back by a navy bandanna. An old scuffed black leather jacket, slightly oversized, hung down to her knees. She wore a torn black t-shirt and faded grey cargo trousers. A raccoon of all things scurried in after her.

Dr Siobhan Drake nodded curtly at the two superheroes in front of her. "Sorry I'm late, but it's important to be careful. Especially in light of what we're about to discuss here." As the raccoon began climbing her legs, she slid her hands into her pockets and assumed a casual stance. "It is just us, yes?"

Foreshadow's head moved in Baby Brawler's direction.  The first he heard of her, he had expected a giant baby who brawls.  Either that or one who brawled babies.  Of course the way the floor gave audible signs of being challenged by her presence when she walked assured him that the name was probably far less threatening than the real deal.  Not that a guy whose name was a literary reference had much room to tal.

"Yes"  Foreshadow replied succinctly to the doctor's question.  The chances were low enough that someone would make use of this dump other than them.  It wasn't exactly an ideal hideout.  The cover of both night and darkness provided a further blanket of secrecy.  Not that anyone else would believe them.  What they were about to discuss was just an insane concept to even put in

Looking for something a little taller than the ground to stand on and sturdy enough to support her weight baby mirrors the other man, with a simple, “Agreedâ€. Locating an old decorative metal plat pot she turns it on its head and hops up on it. Turning to face the other two she shifts her eyes form one to the other taking them in, she is still a stranger to the whole team up meet and greet protocols but tries her best to roll with it. "I am Baby Brawler, you can call me BB if you desire. Now let’s kick this off shall we, I am not too familiar with you all here, fill me in on what you know if you would be so kind and any recent discoveries and potential suggestive actions so I may be on level with you. We are dealing with things that are normally out of my element, but I adapt well."  

GM

The dismal, dusty and cobwebbed dining room served as the best place for holding their strange meeting. Under the silent gaze of moldy portraits and fading landscapes, the trio discussed what they had seen, heard or felt that had shown them the true face of the world. What scant information they had would be vital in deciding what was to be done.

Meanwhile, without....

The portal flared open, emitting a blue light that filled the plaza before City Hall, a light that was soon eclipsed by the tall and formidable figure of Adrian Eldrich as he walked ten paces briskly into thin air, and then gently descended. His cape swirled about his ankles as he marched grim-faced up the steps into the Federal Building, the doors swinging open with an impatient gesture from the Master Mage...

• 3 weeks later...

Siobhan turned to face the two, looking grave. "Alright. I'm Dr Siobhan Drake, you might have seen my work as Equinox. I'm currently not in costume, because I'm trying to minimize my magic use." She leaned back against a wall.

"Are you familiar at all with Adrian Eldrich, the Master Mage? He's... kind of responsible for so many things, hes fought so many threats in the darkness people don't know about. He's a good man. He found me, and brought me back to the right path. He was my teacher. Adrian was a good man, and I won't have that forgotten. But... something is wrong."

"Foreshadow.  Not the first one.  Don't let the lean and mean figure and blonde hair fool you on that.  But just as efficient.  I lost my eyesight when I was a kid.  But even I can see that there's something up with Eldrich.  The man's, I can't quite put my finger on it.  He just has my intuition on edge at the moment.  And trust me, I have very good intuition."  Foreshadow added as his input.

He didn't believe in magic per se.  Taking it as just a fancy way to classify certain superhuman abilities.  A scientist of metahuman studies would in his opinion liken Eldrich's abilities with some other descriptor.  But whatever they were named, the fact of the matter remained the man had a wealth of power under his finger tips.  And questioning a Freedom League member on nothing more than a hunch seemed like a faux pas.  Even worse if they turned out to be right.  In which case they would likely be left with worse than Egg on their face.