Some Things Should Never Be Found (IC)

A Plateau in South America
Friday, February 7, 2014

Giang Trang stood near the edge of a rocky plateau, looking out over a vast stretch of jungle down below. A few exotic birds could be seen flying up over the jungle canopy, and similar bird calls could be heard from the jungle trees up on the plateau as well. It was just over a year ago that the Asian teen had first stood here, waiting for Zandar, the jungle lord of the Lost World.

The attractive Asian teen was dressed almost exactly as she had been during that last trip, in a dark blue cami top, over which she had a dark khaki long-sleeved shirt, which was currently unbuttoned and had the sleeves rolled up to just below her elbows in the humid jungle heat. She had on a pair of olive cargo shorts, and a pair of hiking boots, which had been brand new a year ago, but were now well worn, having gone through the Lost World once, as well as a trip to Africa. A backpack sat on the ground near one of her feet, filled with some changes of clothing and some other survival gear.

Giang turned back to look at the others gathered on the plateau with her, her expression calm and serene. During the last trip, she had been the newcomer, having not even been at Claremont Academy a week. Now, the eighteen year old was the senior student for the trip, at least in terms of age and grade level. Samantha Vance was the next oldest of the group, and had actually been at Claremont longer than Giang. She was also the member of the group Giang knew best, but even then it was mainly through their mutual friendships with Mali, Cerys and Tona.

The other three gathered students were some of the newest to Claremont, Cho Paige Lee, Juno Dempsey and Eugene King. While Giang had seen Juno and Gene around campus, Cho was the only one she really had had much in the way of interaction with before now. Of course, trips such as this made a good opportunity to learn more about her fellow students.

"It should not be long before our guide arrives." She stated to break the silence.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gene King walked around what he couldn't stop thinking of as 'the landing site.' They hadn't landed here, of course, they'd come up in a mini-bus; but they were going to go to a different world, and what did that mean if not aliens? Giang had talked more about dinosaurs than little green space men, but Gene was more focused on the possibility of seeing another world.

And on the heat. He was used to New England's weather, but here the air seemed so thick that it could be sold by the cubic foot. True, he had done some research and knew South America's jungles were humid, but nothing had prepared him for the sensation of being squeezed and wrung out by the very air itself. At first he had tried to stay still to keep as cool as possible; then he had tried to keep moving to get some air flowing across his body.

"I hope he's here soon," Gene said. "I'm about ready to drop." He pulled at his tee-shirt, which was sticky with sweat. "Why couldn't we get a van? With A/C. And wait in there?"

Juno had never been out of America. Sure she lived in Florida, so she was no stranger to people from Latino Nations. Mexicans and Cubans were a good chunk of the population down there. Heck, a lot of her friends had been bilingual because of their parents. Juno though was American born and raised. Aside from her family’s move to Freedom City, she hadn’t really been anywhere that wasn’t for a gymnastics competition.

Living in Florida was never something she thought would prepare her for anything in her life. Today though, today it definitely would help. She was no stranger to the hot and muggy climate around her, though that didn't really stop it from being uncomfortably hot. Or the way the humidity feels like it's trying to drown you with the very air. Dressing appropriately helped a bit. Gray and white board shorts, a blue tank top and a thin white short sleeved zipper hoodie. Beneath that you can just see the edges of where her protective suite isn’t zipped up. She hadn’t wanted to bring it, any of it. Though in order for her dad to let her go, she had to promise she would wear it. The suite and the mid calf snake proof hiking boots her dad bought her for a hiking field trip with her old school. She pitched him a similar theme this time. Just.... forgot to mention South America.

“This is just like summer in Florida Gene. Welcome to my childhood.†She’s standing right at the edge of the plateau, toeing the expanse with one foot as she leans out to try and look straight down. A little over a year ago she would have been terrified. Being able to teleport changes your perspective on heights a little bit. “So….  Do we need a guide because we are looking for something specific down there or just… exploring? I mean is this like a tour guide or the type of guide that tries to keep you from getting eaten by a Jaguar?†One hand firmly grasps the bag near her back foot, heavy with water and a bit of food, some clothes and the belt and goggles to her suite. You never know when infrared vision might be handy in the jungle. See what the predator sees.

"I don't think jaguars would pose a problem to any of us." Points out Cho. At least, for her, a jaguar wouldn't even be able to harm her and inbetween her, Giang and Gene or any of the others an oversized cat wouldn't last very long if it tried to get the jump on them. "Beside, most animals aren't very aggressive toward humans! Um, I think anyway. Don't take everything I say for granted as correct."

Cho seemed almost entirely unaffected by the temperature, much to her own surprise, something she voiced her concern about early on when they arrived until she simply realized it was likely part of her powers. Anyone talking to her on the trip in regards to her powers would know that she basically half no clue at their extent and limits. However, overall, it wasn't a subject she liked discussing. In fact, talking too much about it would make her feel more than uncomfortable. With little to fear from local wildlife or the environment (as well as little to wear for such a climate), the girl had settled on tank tops and shorts. Hopefully made of something able to withstand her powers or damage. "So, are guys sure this is okay? I mean, my familly can't really afford school trips like these!"

Giang could not help but allow a small smile to come to her face as Gene and Juno discussed the heat. "The climate here does remind me of the village in the northern part of Vietnam where I lived most of my life." She stated, before turning to focus on Gene. "And a van is not going to do us any good where we are going, and spending that time in the air conditioning would only hamper your acclimating."

The Asian teen then turned her head to look to Juno and Cho, as the two girls spoke about their guide and what they might encounter. "He is the type that keeps you from getting eaten by sabertooth tigers, or worse. And we are not going down there." She gestured for a moment toward the jungle down below. "We are going up there." Giang instead pointed off toward the mountainous terrain a short distance away that rose up into the mist.

"Where there is a gateway, from this world to another. You could walk right past it, and likely never know. So having a guide to be sure we find it is necessary, not to mention to lead us where we need to go once we are through."

“Ah-“ Juno starts but immediately closes her mouth again. “True.†She’s not used to being super powered. Sometimes she forgets exactly what she can do now.  In all honesty, she could probably dodge the Jaguar and zap up high in a tree and be long gone before the cat managed to follow.

Giang’s voice dragged her attention away from her own musings and out across the great distance they could see. Settling on the misty mountainscape as a single word bounced around in her mind – sabertooth. What the heck kind of field trip did she sign up for? Oh. Right. For a moment she forgot what kind of school she goes to now. Why would it be a ‘normal’ field trip when everyone here isn’t?

“That looks pretty far. How long do you think it will take us to get there?" She turns to Giang for a moment before her eyes scan back to the mountain in the distance. Blues scanning the high peaks and where the fade into the clouds. She could probably get there with a few teleports and it would take almost no time at all. Though she’s smart enough to know that splitting from the group probably isn’t a good idea.

Sam returns from a quick trip to the van to change. Turns out a white tank top was a bad idea. Among other considerations.

This definitely isn't Chicago.

Now, she's sporting a dark green number with denim shorts and a wide-brimmed straw hat to help keep the sun's lash off her gingerness, with the aid of entirely too much of the strongest sunscreen she could find. At the moment, her backpack is doing the task of hiding her brand from any onlookers who might have the bright idea of staring at it until it starts boring into their skulls.

She catches Juno's question. "About five seconds, if you'll let me."

GM

Suddenly a loud voice with a very British accent spoke from the edge of the nearby jungle. "That is so often the problem with those in the modern world. They are in such a rush to get from one place to another, that they often miss what lies between."

Stepping out from the shadows was a tall tanned man, over six feet in height and powerfully built. With dark brown eyes and shoulder length black hair that had just a touch of grey, he projected a powerful presence, one that was enhanced by the animal skin clothing he wore and the necklace of massive teeth larger than any normal predatory animal. Across his back was slung a large spear and at one hip he wore a long bladed knife.

The man had a broad smile on his face as he moved forward. "And in this instance, what we will be seeking lies in the points between. Greetings, I am Zandar, Jungle Lord of the Lost World." He said in greeting as his gaze focused on Giang. "Giang, it is wonderful to see you again! I am very glad you were able to come visit us once again." He then looked over the other gathered students. "And the rest of you, welcome! I am pleased Headmaster Summers has sent another group of students to visit. Surely there will be much we will be able to learn from each other."

A second figure emerged from the shadows after Zandar, a young girl, likely no older than twelve or thirteen. She was dressed similarly to Zandar and there was a strong family resemblance, though her complexion was slightly darker. In one hand she carried a short spear. As the girl spotted Giang, her mouth widened into a large smile as she rushed forward to hug the Asian teen. "I am glad you were able to visit again Giang!"

Giang smiled as she returned the young girl’s hug. "It is very good to see you again as well Kazra." She said. After the two had disengaged, she turned to face Zandar, placing her palms together in front of her and giving a slight bow. "It is an honor to see you once more Lord Zandar, and we are most grateful for your hospitality." The Asian teen then shook Zandar's hand as he stepped forward.

She then turned back towards the others. "Allow me to introduce my fellow students, Samantha Vance, Cho Paige Lee, Juno Dempsey and Eugene King." Giang said by way of introduction. "Lord Zandar will be our host for the next two days, and this is Kazra, his youngest daughter." She added as the Jungle Lord stepped forward to shake hands with each of the students, his daughter following after him.

"Um, hi..." meekly says Cho, suddenly (and much to her surprise) clamming up and turning into a grossly oversized shrinking violet. "So, um, is it true you got dinosaurs out there? Ooh! T-Rex, still around isn't it? I mean, you got T-Rex down there don't you? They don't have feathers, right?" Suddenly blurts out the girl, making a somewhat pitiful attempt at starting a conversation with Zandar. Then again, she did relish the prospect of seeing live prehistoric animals up close. Very close. Maybe a little too close? It was true that sometimes Cho was filled with manic, childish glee and a sense of wonder.

Hopefully she wouldn't make some bad impression for the rest of the student group.

Juno nearly starts when that loud voice grabs her attention, head whipping around to see the man walking toward them. Blue eyes scan over his attire and the way he holds himself. Combined with a very tribal vibe she decides that she really wouldn’t want to mess with this guy, especially when Giang calls him ‘lord’.  Yep, he’s definitely an important person. Juno steps away from the cliff and toward where the group has formed an impromptu line.

She flushes a bit from embarrassment when the broad shouldered man stops in front of her, hand reaching out to grasp and shake his. “Hi…. I’m Juno, like she said. Nice to meet you sir.†Flashing a smile, she just hopes she doesn’t sound dumb. “Hi. Uhm… I think Giang said your name was Kazra? Nice to meet you.†She holds her hand out to the girl as well, seeing no reason why they can’t become acquainted.

The redhead's handshake is a rather demure and old-fashioned gesture. "Good morning, Lord Zandar. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

Sam has manners! She just doesn't always use them. Use a tool too often and it grows dull, after all. And that is an entirely reasonable explanation.

Now, time to hope these points in between won't be quite so swelteringly hot. Though seeing real dinosaurs? That sounds... well... cool.

I wonder how long I'd be in detention if I knicked an egg?

She starts doing the math in her head, balancing 'So worth it,' and, 'Sweetest pet ever,' against already having one and a half cats in her little dorm room.

Gene felt relief at the idea that he wouldn't be forced to walk all those miles. Of course with so many students from Claremont Academy, odds were that one of them would be able to fly or run across tree tops or something. Of course, having two was even better; it meant there was less chance of someone getting too stressed or hurt to to get them out of danger. Not that they were supposed to be in danger anyway, but it never hurt to think ahead. "I'll take that ride, Sam," Gene said, pulling at his sticky, sweaty tee-shirt.

And then the portal opened and Zandar stepped through. Gene's already dark skin darkened further and his dropped his eyes to the ground, scuffling his feet in the dirt. "So, um. Do we really have to walk all the way up the mountain? And through the jungles?"

GM

"Tyrannosaurs? Why yes indeed, they stalk the jungles and plains in the Lost World. And no, they do not have feathers." Zandar replied to Cho's questions with a warm smile as he greeted the tall teen. He then moved on to Juno, shaking her hand as well, his smile still in place.

Kazra stopped to shake Juno’s hand when the teenager greeted her. "Nice to meet you Juno." The younger girl said in return. "I hope your stay is as eventful as last year, I helped Giang and the others stop the Serpent People before they could unleash a dinosaur army on my father's kingdom and the neighboring lands."

Zandar had moved on to Sam, taking her hand and giving a slight bow in return to her more formal and old fashion greeting. "And a very great pleasure to make your acquaintance as well Ms. Vance." He stated in reply.

He finished with Gene, shaking the teen’s hand and giving him a wide grin at his question. "No, not far up the mountain." He replied. "But through some jungles, yes. For that is the best means by which to see the wonders of my realm."

When Kazra finished greeting the rest of the assembled teens, Zandar gestured towards the tree line he and his daughter had emerged from. "Now then, let us be on our way!" And with that he turned and led the gathered teens into the jungle. At first, the terrain was rather easy to traverse, the shade of the trees helping somewhat with the heat, though less so with the humidity.

But then the group started to go uphill, the incline being the main difficult at first. But soon Zandar had taken them off to one side and into a narrow ravine, where they had to climb over fallen boulders and piles of rock as they went. After several minutes of climbing, the group turned a corner and the gathered tens were suddenly had a feeling like the world warped and reeled around them! As the walls of the ravine burred and seemed to shift, the Claremont students suddenly found themselves on a hillside overlooking a vast jungle that seemed to stretch from horizon to horizon, broken only by a larger river that twisted through the green. The air was heavy with old plant growth, the temperature seemingly even hotter than where they had just been.

Echoing from the trees blow, they could hear all manner of howls, deep roars and the thunderous stamping of massive feet. Up in the sky around the river, they could make out great winged animals wheeling and circling. Down at the nearest banks of the river were dozens of massive forms, moving along the shoreline or in the shallows. Some were two legged dinosaurs, with long tails, others were massive four legged dinosaurs with long necks.

"Welcome children of Earth, to my kingdom, the Lost World!" Zandar stated as he gestured to the lands stretched out below the group.

"You heard the man," Sam says to Gene as they set out to traverse the jungle the old fashioned way.

Mostly.

She might cheat her way up a few of the harder inclines.  One of the benefits of jungles?  Plenty of shadows to hop between.

When the world starts to twist, Sam isn't out of her element.  She's experienced similar before.  Her own hops just minutes before, her nigh country-spanning jumps, but neither is quite on this level.  No, this is more like the jump from Dis to Earth.

When the world steadies itself, she's one of the first recovered, looking at this new kingdom.  Before Zandar even finishes his welcome, she's already pulled out her phone to zoom in on the fauna.

"Dinosaurs!  Those are real dinosaurs!"

Gene followed Zander, trudging through the warm, close air of the space under the trees. Amazingly it seemed to get even more humid under the trees, but the teenager kept his grumblings to himself and merely drank from his canteen more often. The mountain climbing was a different sort of hardship, but he managed to keep up. The narrow defile Zander led them down made Gene breath a little faster, but the walls weren't too closed together -- at least that's what the teen kept telling himself.

And then the world changed, and they were standing in the middle of a jungle even larger and wilder than the one they had left, and there were dinosaurs in it. Gene's jaw dropped as he watched the great, lumbering beasts move, momentarily transfixed at the sight of seeing these creatures from the dawn, real and breathing in front of him. "I really should've brought that John Williams' playlist," he said softly.

Juno is left speechless by the girl, staring blankly for a moment before blinking at the empty space she just vacated. Clearly this would not be your average field trip. She probably should have suspected as much, and really doesn't know why she's surprised. The lost world..... She figured that just meant a trek into some old sparsely populated jungle. She couldn't have been more wrong. The feeling kept growing as she followed Lord Zander and her group through the humid jungle, then through the ravine. She could have easily teleported over the tricky bits, but to be honest she was enjoying it. The climb was fun until the world around her shifted, giving her a sense of vertigo that someone with balance like her isn't used to.

By the time her senses clear she is almost in shock. Her eyes open wide and her mouth agape as she stares out at the endless sea of trees. "Oh.. Wow. Oh..... Are those pterodactyls?" Juno is in absolute awe, her voice turning almost to a laugh. She crouches down, her backpack helping her balance as she leans forward, eyes scanning down from the sky and to the large creatures near the water. "Does that mean there are Raptors? Like, Velociraptors? The kind that gang up on you and rip your throat out? Because the thought is both awesome and terrifying."

Edited by GooseInduced

Giang had moved to the back of the group, since as the Senior student present, she wanted to be sure no one got lost from the group. The Asian teen had gone on this hike to the portal before, this time the climb through the ravine going a bit easier than it had a year ago. The strange sensation that accompanied the shift from their own dimension and to the one where the Lost World existed was also nothing new, but still slightly disorienting.

When the teen had gotten her bearings once more, she looked out on the familiar scene of a large expanse of the Lost World. Though she had been here before, Giang still found the view and the massive dinosaurs the roamed everywhere breath taking. But she remained quiet, watching the others to see their initial reactions.

GM

Zandar watched the gathered teens with a smile on his face at their looks of wonder and amazement. "Aye, real dinosaurs. You are likely to see a number of other prehistoric animals as well that on Earth existed after the dinosaurs. We are unsure exactly why they all exist here together." Sam's camera managed to get her a bit clearly view of the packs of the creatures gathered down by the river, but they were still a good distance away.

Kazra glanced at Gene as he reacted to the sight of the dinosaurs as well. "Who's John Williams?" The pre-teen asked.

Her father meanwhile had turned to regard Juno, as the teen asked a question about Velociraptors. "Aye, there are a number of species of the pack hunting raptors. A year ago I saw Giang decimate an entire pack of them with a single sweep of her hands, her water blast clearing a path for me, my wife and my people to escape the Serpent People's dinosaur army which had attacked my capital."

Cho had remained silent for a while now, likely completely awestruck at the scenes unfolding before her eyes, said eyes being bright and wide with excitement and sheer wonder. After all, she was still unused to the bizarreness and wonder her life might end up filled with at this rate. "Did you see that? And that? Wow, holy cra...just, j-just wow! Oh wow, now I really don't regret coming here at all!"

Gene followed Zander, trudging through the warm, close air of the space under the trees. Amazingly it seemed to get even more humid under the trees, but the teenager kept his grumblings to himself and merely drank from his canteen more often. The mountain climbing was a different sort of hardship, but he managed to keep up. The narrow defile Zander led them down made Gene breath a little faster, but the walls weren't too closed together -- at least that's what the teen kept telling himself.

And then the world changed, and they were standing in the middle of a jungle even larger and wilder than the one they had left, and there were dinosaurs in it. Gene's jaw dropped as he watched the great, lumbering beasts move, momentarily transfixed at the sight of seeing these creatures from the dawn, real and breathing in front of him. "I really should've brought that John Williams' playlist," he said softly.

"Ninanii Nanaan Ninanii..." hums out Cho, amused, while also slaughtering the Jurassic Park theme in the process. "Hey, are you okay?" She asked him. "You look a little tired."

Juno is left speechless by the girl, staring blankly for a moment before blinking at the empty space she just vacated. Clearly this would not be your average field trip. She probably should have suspected as much, and really doesn't know why she's surprised. The lost world..... She figured that just meant a trek into some old sparsely populated jungle. She couldn't have been more wrong. The feeling kept growing as she followed Lord Zander and her group through the humid jungle, then through the ravine. She could have easily teleported over the tricky bits, but to be honest she was enjoying it. The climb was fun until the world around her shifted, giving her a sense of vertigo that someone with balance like her isn't used to.

By the time her senses clear she is almost in shock. Her eyes open wide and her mouth agape as she stares out at the endless sea of trees. "Oh.. Wow. Oh..... Are those pterodactyls?" Juno is in absolute awe, her voice turning almost to a laugh. She crouches down, her backpack helping her balance as she leans forward, eyes scanning down from the sky and to the large creatures near the water. "Does that mean there are Raptors? Like, Velociraptors? The kind that gang up on you and rip your throat out? Because the thought is both awesome and terrifying."

"I don't think they'd really be able to harm us, not unless they were also giant, radioactive, breathed fire and had laser eyeballs." As if saying this jinxed it, the girl's expression immediately changed to fear. After all, she'd already seen a lot of weird things. She really, seriously hoped she hadn't jinxed it. Nothing would ruin the day like killer mutant dinosaurs."Y-you don't have mutant super-raptors around here, r-right?"

Edited by RobRX

It took Gene a moment to reply to Kazra's question. "There was a movie. Like, twenty years ago. About a place sort of like this. Scientists brought dinosaurs back to life and put them on an island. John Williams did the music to it. And it was awesome." He shook his head at the grazing, moving, beautiful monsters out in front of him. "I brought my Walkman, but the battery died on the trip up here. And I doubt I can get a wireless signal out here."

"Ninanii Nanaan Ninanii..." hums out Cho, amused, while also slaughtering the Jurassic Park theme in the process. "Hey, are you okay?" She asked him. "You look a little tired."

"Oh yeah," he sighed. "I climb mountains every day. Back and forth from school, you know? The view's just taking my breath away," he added sarcastically.

It took Gene a moment to reply to Kazra's question. "There was a movie. Like, twenty years ago. About a place sort of like this. Scientists brought dinosaurs back to life and put them on an island. John Williams did the music to it. And it was awesome." He shook his head at the grazing, moving, beautiful monsters out in front of him. "I brought my Walkman, but the battery died on the trip up here. And I doubt I can get a wireless signal out here."

"Oh yeah," he sighed. "I climb mountains every day. Back and forth from school, you know? The view's just taking my breath away," he added sarcastically.

"You sure you're okay?" she asked again, Gene looking definately exhausted from it all. "Well, if you need me for anything, I'm around. I mean I guess I could carry you but...u-uh, I uh..." She start clamming up, realizing how not only bad that sounded but also possibly laden with some double meaning that wasn't there. She just hapenned to blurt that out simply out of wanting to help someone. What if people misinterpretated this? What if they thought all sort of things about her? What if... "I-I...uh...I'm gonna, um, go? Yeah, I'm gonna go."

Cho start to awkwardly shuffle away, trying to shrink into the jungle and in fact wishing she could ACTUALLY shrink right in this instant. "Right. Woo. Dinosaurs." she muttered, devoid of emotions.

GM

Zandar watched the gathered teens with a smile on his face at their looks of wonder and amazement. "Aye, real dinosaurs. You are likely to see a number of other prehistoric animals as well that on Earth existed after the dinosaurs. We are unsure exactly why they all exist here together." Sam's camera managed to get her a bit clearly view of the packs of the creatures gathered down by the river, but they were still a good distance away.

Kazra glanced at Gene as he reacted to the sight of the dinosaurs as well. "Who's John Williams?" The pre-teen asked.

Her father meanwhile had turned to regard Juno, as the teen asked a question about Velociraptors. "Aye, there are a number of species of the pack hunting raptors. A year ago I saw Giang decimate an entire pack of them with a single sweep of her hands, her water blast clearing a path for me, my wife and my people to escape the Serpent People's dinosaur army which had attacked my capital."

Juno just blinks, attention turning to Lord Zander and staying there almost out of shock. "Wait, there are more than one kind of raptor?" She blinks, feeling her heart race. "That is both terrifying and awesome." She looks back out at the jungle, feeling a strange tingle settle over her skin. It could be excitement, it could be fear. It's probably both.

Her head spins back around and looks at Zander. "Giang did that? Wow." She turns and looks at the their unofficial leader. It's easy to see how nervous she suddenly is. "Do you think our trip will be that exciting this year?" She isn't sure she's prepared to fend off hungry dinosaurs or Serpent People and part of her wonders what she is doing here. She can't turn back now though and just has to trust that she's ready for this. She wants to prove herself. Needs to. This could be her chance.

Sam gives Juno the sort of look one gives a crazy person.  Because she's crazy.  Crazy crazy crazy.

"Yeah, I'd rather skip the part about going to war with the evil army of giant lizards.  Seeing dinosaurs is awesome, but I don't wanna be anything's lunch."

At that, she turns her attention to their guide.  "Lord Zandar, if you would be so kind as to lead on?"  It would be unwise to wander off alone.

Then agani, it would be unwise to rely entirely on Zandar's guidance.  She makes a point of marking this current chunk of terrain well, and minding well the group's position relative to it, in case they need to cut and run without their guide.

GM

Kazra considered Gene as he answered her question. "A moo-vee? Those are pictures that move right?" The girl asked, not sure what to make of the exchange between Gene and Cho.

Her father meanwhile was regarding Juno and Sam with a small smile. "Hopefully there will be no such dire threat during your visit." He replied in agreement with Sam's comment, but then he looked to Juno with a small grin, "but I am sure there will still be plenty of excitement."

The Jungle Lord then nodded once more at Sam's well-mannered request for him to continue to their destination. "Of course Samantha, but first…"

Zandar's face then became more serious as he removed his spear from his back and offered its haft to the gathered group of teens. "Before we continue, I must have your solemn promise: you will not take anything you find outside of my kingdom for yourselves. Within my jungle, I can allow or decline to give you permission, but outside of it, the theft of the least and most insignificant thing might bring peril and downfall for you. For your safety, I must ask this of each of you."