Sweet Dreams (Aren't made of this)

Daphne wasn’t to worried about the creature threat if necessary she could alter her own brain chemistry to wake herself up, as long of this creature wasn’t lodge in her own psyche but she still wasn’t worried about the threat.

“You really don’t know what you're dealing with do you? There’s little chance you could do me any harm in this dreamscape. If i didn't want to try and stop your plan, whatever it is, then I would already be gone.â€

To demonstrate that point she aimed a punch towards the creature.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GM

The lizard creature's head snapped backwards after Miss Grue hid it.  His body slid back a few inches across the cafeteria floor.  But it was clear that he shrugged off the blow.  A cheshire smile forming upon its face as it eyed Daphne in response.  The being's glare obviously declaring a defiant challenge to the young Grue.  

Piles of students would begin to pile on top of Daphne.  Aiming to hold her down so the Lizard like creature could strike while she was vulnerable.  Instead they found themselves being tossed aside as Daphne displayed her strength.  Flinging the students all over the cafeteria in one mighty flex of her dense form.  Taking advantage of the small opening provided by the legion of students the lizard man would leap through the air and towards Daphne.

Missing his target wide when Daphne rolled out of the way making him instead taking out one of the students who burst into a pile of confetti.  Following the creature's movements Daphne was able to notice that more of the tables from the cafeteria were missing.  A low rumbling  noise coming from the corner of the room.  Sounding not too dissimilar from a fan.

Edited by HG Morrison

GM

When Rene opened the door one of the students sent flying by Miss Grue overpowering the horde of them went flying out into the hallway.  Separated from the rest of the group of students the individual cast off disappeared soon after.  Not even leaving behind an article of clothing unlike the mares.  It simply stopped being.

"It went against his concept.  Some creatures adapt to changes.  Others stay true to their core.  It seems being apart of a group was integral to his being due to the imagination that dreamt him up as some sort of background concept.  Left on his own, he doesn't exist."  Mona calmly explained.  Walking after Rene into the cafeteria.

Just in time for them to see Daphne roll out of the way of the Lizard being's leaping attack.  A being which Mona recognized judging by her following exposition.  "The creature is called Rarrr.  It was dreamt up by cavemen when man was barely hobbling out into the open.  Suffice to say their naming conventions were not quite so thorough then.  But it has been locked away in the Millennial prison.  It seems someone freed a monster."

Edited by HG Morrison

She was so concentrating on hitting this thing whilst avoiding her mortal enemy, here and in the real world, other student’s that she almost missed it another mind and close by. It wasn’t more than sense that someone was there. She didn’t want to probe another mind whilst within her own mind that, that way led to madness or at least an existential headache.

But the least she could do was warn them away, whilst continuing to attempted to fight the creature in front of her she sent a short telepathic message into the others mind.

Don’t come in there some kind of “nightmare†or something in here with me. I’m keeping it busy so it would be a good idea for you to flee now.

• 4 weeks later...

"Rarr?" questioned Rene at Mona's commentary. 

"Well, I am glad civilization and art has refined our nightmares" he said. "Caveman art for caveman dreams. I prefer to live in the nineteenth, I mean twentieth, I mean...twenty first century! Zut Alors how time flies!"

"And so do this lizard" he added as the reptile sailed overhead. 

"Fear not madam!" he said, walking slow and calm to Daphne. "Rene deSaens at your service! It seems you have dispatched these nightmares and ze coast, as they say, is clear!" he smiled. 

"And a good thing to! I am just a weak and helpless old man, you see. Fortunately, I have my magnificent companion, ze lady Mona, as my guide!" he smiled at Mona. 

"And it appears we are in ze world of dreams, my good lady" he said, turning back to Daphne. "I know I happened to sleep my way here. How did you drift to this place?"

• 4 weeks later...

Daphne looked Rene up and down with a critical eye her tongue stuck out in concentration.

“No I don’t think you are anything like as helpless as you make out. You have a brain like a steel vice for a start.â€

Daphne knew that many humans didn’t like people poking into their brains but she couldn’t help herself, and she only peeked at their surface thoughts nothing to deep or serious.

“And this here is my own dream.†she spun round her arms spread wide as she resumed her human form.

“I’m Daphne the quirky yet loved student at Generic Television High School... well at least some of thats true. Well my name Daphne at least...â€

There is more to this one than meets the eye...even with my eyes...

"Ah, this is your dream? It is quite enchanting, sweet Daphne! just like you! Ah, if only I was two hundred years younger and of a fancy for women!" he said, bowing. There seemed little point in deception with her. Flattery, he found, was a more universal solvent. 

"I wonder what has made you dream this dream, mmm? Dreams, zey flow like water, into different worlds and different minds, mixing memories with hopes, mixing ze waking with ze dread, non? Like a recipe, if you like cooking...which I do!" he said with a big smile on his face and a lick of his lips. 

"If you could find it in you to dream of an apple tart and brandy, that would be magnifique!" he added, with a wink. 

"But now, what is this dream made of, hmmm? what is the recipe?"

Daphne gave one of her broad friendly smile and with a flourish moved to one side with a sweep of her hand to display a little surprise. In a darkened corner was a table lit by an unseen spotlight surrounded by three chairs on the table was a selection of pastries and a steaming pot of coffee, the smell now wafting towards them.

"I hope I got it all right I'm afraid I'm not very good with smells or taste yet, though I'm enjoying finding out." she gave a little giggle.

"All this is mine I'm a lucid dreamer, among other talents, I'm not sure where the lizard king there came from maybe your friend here could tell us?" she then whispered behind her hand "She's not quite real you know."

She went over a pulled out a chair gesturing for Rene to sit.

"Though lets have a bite to eat first..."

"Un reveur lucide?" said Renes raised eyebrows. 

"A powerful gift. Especially here" he said sitting down slowly. "Ah, Madame, thankyou for ze rest for my weary legs, and ze food for my lamenting tongue"

"Perhaps you could explain this dream, then? Ah! Many years ago I would have turned to my friend Sigmund for some answers, what insight! what wisdom! what cigars! But alas, he is no longer here, and after all, he was only half right. Just like all great men" he sighed. 

"If you control this dream, then where comes the violence? you are as pretty as a flower madame, not fit for rending and grinding!" he asked, looking at her carefully. After all, if she was dreaming the dream, some part of her had just tried to slash him to ribbons. He could still feel the bruises. 

• 3 weeks later...

GM

During the course of their discussion.  The room had gradually began to shrink slowly enough it was unnoticeable.  At least until the pair were left with only a handful of tables left in the cafeteria.  Rarrr whom had earlier been sent flying into a wall by Daphne's fearsome strength had seemingly disappeared completely.  Peering over the group would notice what could only be described as a sinkhole. The bottom was made out of what appeared to be a giant bubble like substance in which a series of unrelated images would begin to flash.

The bubble like barrier was instantly recognizable to Rene, but Mona openly explained so as to make sure everyone was on the same page. "An entrance from outside of the girl's dreams into the rest of the dreamscape.   Likely made to pull spirit through not expecting such a defiant subconscious.  It is still pulling away at her mind dragging the contents through.  If you wish to know where the violence comes from.  I suspect the tunnel holds the answer."

"I have ze sinking feeling" replied Rene with a sigh and a smile blended into one vaguely enigmatic movement. 

"Tunnels, in the dreamscape. Well, you can have tunnels anywhere, so why not here? I have seen them before. I have even travelled them. But ze journey is never so pleasant...It makes me sea sick!" he said as he felt the pull of the bubble on his beard, then the rest of him. 

"But I believe you are right, Mona. This is the root of ze problem. From this, ze dreams of rage and blood. No sweet dreams today, for sweet dreams are not made of this!"

And with that, he spiralled into the tunnel, holding on to his beret with one hand and pressing his glasses to his nose with the other, lest they fall away with the psychic turbulence. 

Daphne was a little concerned by the sudden appearance of the vortex in her dreams it shouldn’t be able to happen with Mother Unit watching over her. She reached out for the comforting feeling of that electronic mind to find only static, someone or something must be blocking their telepathic communication. Apparently she would have to leave her mind so that she could actually leave it, otherwise she was apparently stuck inside her own head... she found it best not to think too hard about these things.

As was traditional in these things she held her nose and gave a little leap into the vortex.

“Geronimo!â€

GM

Expressionless Mona was the last to make her way into the tunnel.  Calmly walking off the edge and falling into the hole.  Each of them would find themselves flooded with a series of images in their mind as they travelled down into the portal.  Experiencing the full breadth of the emotions behind each and every one.  Before eventually coming out to a bright light at the end of the tunnel.  Each felt as if they had sat through snippets of a movie marathon having glimpsed into sparse moments into a variety of dreams.

Dust swirled all around the trio as they landed on the ground.  Their surroundings were that of a the backdrop one would find in an old western film.  That was until one took a look at the floating islands in the lavender colored sky.  Mona, whom was now notably dressed in a poncho with a hat covering her eyes, lingered momentarily as she stared up at the islands.  Seemingly focused on some detail.

There was no wind to speak of.  But that did nothing to slow the momentum of a tumbleweed that rolled by.  The laws of motion being merely a recommendation.  One which their topsy turvy surroundings did not subscribe to.

"This reminds me of...how you American's say...Ze Wild West, Non?"

Rene mopped his brown. He could not rightly tell if it was hot here, given the way of the dreamlands. Still, it felt right to mop his brown, and so he did. He felt quite jealous of Mona's hat. His own beret was for style rather than keeping out the sun...or what passed for the sun here. 

"I seem to recall ze American's make films. You know, as they have no style, artistry or history, they try to fill the gaping hole with ze wild west. A waste of celluloid, of course. Ze French films, now that is Art!"

He cocked an eyebrow at Daphne. "I guess saturday mornings were watching old western reruns?" he asked, wondering if the image had been plucked from Daphnes mind, and if so, why. Of course, it was quite possible that it had just drifted in from the collective unconscious of the world. 

"It has been quite a while since I fired a six-gun" he said, remembering his adventures with Father Henri when he had been a very young man. "I almost wish I had one now, ah, sentiment!"

“Well by the time I was watching the Western was kinda out of fashion. Though there was this show with a cowboy and all the strange things that happened to him, and I think he fought zombies as well...†she thought for a few seconds and gave a little shrug “Though I could be mixing that up with something else, Westerns weren't really my thing this isn't one of my dreams. Unless Mother Unit is a big fan of the Genre, Do Mother Units dream of electric cowboy’s?†she gave a little giggle at her joke.

Concentrating for a moment she shifted her clothes until they look suitable for a Western setting including a wide brimmed cowboy hat and a poncho. She gave a mean gunfighters squint and wiggled her finger above her belt, though she hadn't created any six-shooters, before dissolving into another fit of giggles.

GM

"The area is a collective consciousness.  Each of the floating islands is very much the same with a different focus than this one.  Essentially it is a region created by a shared perception.  If for example if one million people had dreams of an old Western, then this area is made up of the most common factor within those dreams.  Collective consciousness form when there are cracks between the world of the waking and the dreaming.  This town is an older one.  However, something is different.  I cannot place the what."  Mona calmly explained.  Her eyes straying to the.

"I am unsure as to how the exit to the tunnel brought us here.  Far from a suitable environment for the creatures to kidnap the girl.  Too open."  Mona paused momentarily and looked between Daphne and Rene.  "Suggestions?"

Rene nodded, familiar as anyone was with the dreamlands. Of course, as the old saying went: if you think you understand the dreamlands, you don't understand the dreamlands. 

"Suggestions depend on what the aim is. Escape to the land of the waking? I am sure it can be easily achieved, but only puts off what may come the next eve, when slumber arises again. My suggestion is to find out what seeks us, and for what purpose. And in the meantime, to stay alive!"

"i do wish we landed on something more charming and artistic than a western set, however" he sniffed. "Mayhap you yanks like it, some kind of sweep for collective unconscious guilt over slavery and conquest" he said, not without a gentleness. But what he said did concern him. The unconscious was the oil for the flames for dreams. He was thus somewhat concerned. 

"What seeks us then, and to what purpose? Perhaps we should have a drink and a round of questions at the bar? All westerns have bars, don't they? with the swinging doors?"

This should be setting off a half dozen alarms bells in the real word, Mother Unit wouldn't normally even allow her to have a slightly bad dream.

Are you there Mother Unit? I could use you help here right about now.

But she wasn't going to wait until Mother Unit replied, time could work a little wonky between the Real and dream world.

“It’s called the Saloon and if it the real deal it’ll have those really cool doors, like you said. Can I go first they’ll have that cool thing of the whole place going quiet.â€

Edited by TiffanyKorta

GM

Mother Unit did not respond to Daphne's pleas.  The fact that her spiritual self was no longer in the same dimension should have had no bearing on such matters.  That did not, however, account for the situation on the physical side of the equation.

Thusly they made their way into the saloon.  A pianist was playing an upbeat tune in the corner.  There were three tables full of people, and other assorted beings, playing cards.    Two drunks were engaged in a fist fight.  A stairwell leading up to the second floor had the sight of some overeager men trying their hardest to flirt with a group of similarly dressed women in frilly dresses.  Lastly there was a man with a sheriff's badge, eyes covered by his had snoring away on his own chair.  A stack of empty glasses accounting for that.

All the way opposite to the trio was the bartender.  Currently cleaning a glass while looking down at a man thoroughly enjoying himself whatever dark liquor was inside his pitcher.  His feet tapping along to the sounds of the piano.  Even at a distance the elderly Rene found the man instantly recognizable.

"Henri Zenon, my friend! I cannot say I am surprised to see you here!" laughed Rene heartily, walking up and embracing the man. 

"Madam" he gestured to Daphne. "This is my friend Henri Zenon, although some know him as Deadbeat. On account of him being dead. Although he lives on in the realm of dreams" he explained. "In fact, I lead dear Henri here after he fell into some less pleasant dimension..." he said, enigmatically. 

Truth was, whilst both he had Henri were well versed in the dreamlands, neither of them knew exactly how it had happened. But happened it did. Rene had a suspicion he had wiped it from his own mind with the fog of forgetting in the dreamlands. Occasionally he had...dreams...suggestive ones. 

"So my friend, have you any light to shine on the strange map of dreams we walk? I feel a malignant presence. Although one feels so much in these lands..."

• 2 weeks later...

Frowning Daphne stood beside Rene. Things were definitely worse than she’d originally thought, thing weren’t all just fun and games anymore.

“I’m going to need a whisky, straight, better make it a double.†it was weird not having her own computerised Jiminy Cricket talking in her head, still at least she couldn’t get carded in her dreams.

“Somethings jamming my Alpha Wave communications, I’m stuck in REM sleep. Poor Mother Unit must be popping a circuit right about now wondering who’s gone and done Freddy Krueger on me.â€

GM

"Bonjour Renee, mon ami.  It is reassuring to see you are well.  Stop and have a glass dear friend.  I'm sure there is much to discuss.  Excitement and predicaments on every corner.  But first enjoyment!"  Henri responded fervently.  Promptly turning to greet the female companions that his painting compatriot had taken along with him.  Keeping an arm wrapped around Renee as he spoke.

"It is my pleasure  to greet any friends of dear Renee.  Worry not of present circumstances.  Just enjoy the journey.  I often find proper refreshment and good music is the solution to all of life's problem."  The bartender gave Daphne the beverage before returning to his glass cleaning.  As if on autopilot the man spoke not a word.  However, if Daphne were to take a drink from the beverage she would soon find the taste to be yet another mutable part of the environment.  The Whiskey tasting to her expectations rather than what whiskey would actually taste like.  If she were familiar with the taste it would be exactly the same savor from her memory.  Otherwise it would instead form into whatever taste her imagination could fill in.

"Zut alors, Mona the Dreamweaver herself lives!  The rumors say you fell in battle.  But I never did care for idle gossip that I myself wasn't spreading."

"The rumors lie, Zenon."  That was where Mona both began and ended her input in the conversation.  Walking away to scope out the bar as far as tactical defficiencies went.

GM

"Ever the soldier" sighed Rene as he watched Mona patrol. He was reminded of her Napoleonic uniform, the one she had worn when he first saw her. 

He turned his attention to the bar and ordered a red wine. How good would it be? He envisaged a claret, tannic, rich, and complex, hints of earth and mushrooms, hints of roses and hay. 

"Mother Unit?" he asked Daphne, wondering if she would drink the whiskey. "I have heard mothers be called many things, fair and foul, but a unit...that is ze new one!" he said, chuckling gently. "Still, her fear is not unfounded, and not totally unwelcome, I should imagine"

"Mona, Henri...and my dear new  friend...I would while away un hour, or maybe deux, to calm spirit and sup joy. But, tell me, what creeps in the shadows of this dream? Something ill, something malign? I think it is not us who shall seek it out, rather that it shall find us!"

"And so, I hope to be found in ze best of spirits!" he said, saluting the ether and drinking his wine. 

Daphne replied to Rene without missing a beat, it wasn’t something that she was embarrassed about.

“Well that because I’m not human I was born out there.†she pointed up towards the sky “Well not out there because that’s the dreamscape, I mean in a birthing pod in deep space. Mother Unit was the computer that raised and educated me. Well mostly I learned the rest from television.â€

She thought a bit before adding.

“I hope that doesn't bother you because some people seem bothered by aliens, but I figured as we’re in a dream world with not quite dead people then you’d be okay with it all.â€

"Zut Alors! Aliens!" said Rene with raised bushy white eyebrows. 

He drank another very liberal amount of wine and swished it around his mouth, sucking his gums in from the tannins. 

"Well, Aliens are quite the 21st Century" he replied. "I have lived over two hundred years, and seen many things, bleak, colourful, sad, joyous, and wond'rous. With so many years, patterns emerge, ze play is repeated, ze song is resung, a different beat, a different script, but the same pattern. Now then, what does shine with birth is ze universe! Why, some poor souls still believed ze sun circled ze earth when I was born!" he chuckled. 

"Maybe it still does, here!" he added thoughtfully. "It has a certain charm, ze notion, oui?"

He finished his wine and actually licked his lips. "It matters not what race, there is only ze charming and ze tedious! And I quite like your dreams!"