Case of the Sniffles (IC)

Aoiroo

12:21 AM

Carrie couldn't remember the last time she was sick, there was a good reason for that, clearly her memory had blocked out such a horrid experience. Her nose was running, her throat was sore from coughing, and her head was pounding. She couldn't sleep at all, not that she'd usually be asleep at this time, but she'd freaking tried, and so now here she was, pulling into the building known optimistically as the Fens Free Clinic. She said optimistic because you had to be plenty optimistic to run anything like a government funded building in the Fens.

Still, it was convinent her willingness to go to a hospital was, lacking. She still had dreams about that other place. The smaller, more homely building was a welcome alternative. Really she might of self medicated, but she wasn't sure if this was a cold, or something worse and honestly it'd been a while since she was sick she wasn't one to tell the difference. That and her sister wouldn't answer her phone again.

Walking to the pretty much abandoned building which had the the little sign that said 24 hours, she pushed the door open and walked into the reception area, well okay she hobbled. Her hand on her forehead as she moved to the desk and looked for the sheet to sign in.

The clinic was fairly empty, which was rare. It looked fairly homely on the outside, but fairly neat on the inside. Tyrone Mendoza was close to going home when he heard someone open the door. He got up and headed towards the waiting room. When he headed to the front room, he spotted Carrie and nodded.

"Hi, I'm Dr. Mendoza. You seem to be the only patient, so why don't you come to the examination room and I'll see what's going on." He said with a polite smile. He turned towards the door and motioned for her to follow.

"Kay, yeah, lets go."
Carrie followed behind with a nod and headed towards the back. Small clinics generally looked the same, small room, little chart, bed slash examination table covered in paper. She sat on the bed straightened up, and immediately started a coughing fit. Her throat was raspy with the effort, and she tried to cover her mouth to catch it. Her which she had tried to wipe clean ran freely as she coughed and she sniffed as she turned her head so it wouldn't drip on her clothes,

"Do you have a tissue?"

He nodded and reached onto a shelf they passed. "Here you go. A disposable package of about fifteen to twenty. Go ahead and keep that." He said with a smile.

"I think, maybe, that I know what's going on with you." He said. "I'm going to check your vitals, your breathing, stuff like that. Probably give you a script for some good prescription cold medicine." He said. "Of course it could be something else, but that's what the examination is for." He opened the door.

"After you." He said.

Carrie took the tissues and essentually tried to empty her nose of the offending mucus. It didn't work out so well because more kept coming, but the initial flow had been taken care of,

"I would of gotten some col..."
Carrie was coughing for a minute before she continued,

"Cold syrup, but the stores sell out faster in the Fens."

She sniffed a little bit, she tried to rub at her nose but the irritation even with the tissue made it burn when she did so. She sat down where she could and tossed her handful of used paper towels in the trash bin,

"Been a while since I've been sick, given, if you fall in a river in the middle of the winter something might happen eventually."

He nodded. "Well if you think you can pay for a prescription, I'll go ahead and write one." He checked her pulse, her blood pressure, her breathing. All the usual stuff. He finished and nodded. "Yeah that's...that's a shame, really. I don't have much here, though I have some samples I got a few weeks back. I can give you some to see if that helps, at least until you can get the script filled. If you can't pay for a prescription, well, I can give you a few more free samples."

"That cold sounds pretty rough, but you will probably fight it off on your own with a few days of rest, some fluids, the medicine should help."

"Just wanted to check, I'm a bi.."
She started coughing again and pushed a tissue against her mouth before she continued,

"A bit paranoid I guess, plus I couldn't sleep like this anyway, so I'll probably just grab some nitequil and shut off my alarm cloc..."
There was the sudden sound of a window breaking near the back of the clinic. Carrie's reaction was instantianous, it wasn't surprise or fear, her hand went to her head and there was just a sigh,

"Doctor, you don't happen to have any legal meds on the property?"

Tyrone Mendoza was not capable of confronting whatever happened to have made that noise, but Graft was. "Please, Miss, stay here for your own safety." He said opening the door and shutting it. It locked before Carrie could respond. "I'm going to see what's going on, call the police if I have to. Could just be vandals."

He passed the suit on his way and tapped the bag it lie in. It was hidden in a backpack under a set of shelves As if on command, it slithered out of the opening in the top and onto him. It lifted him off of his feet and formed new feet beneath him. It coagulated around his body and added over a foot in height.

He was grateful that he could see in all directions and in the infrared spectrum. That would help, a lot.

GM

About five guys, of varying degrees of menace were shuffling through the back storage rooms. Medically speaking, they weren't looking for anything in particular, one of them had a box and they were essentually taking anything that looked vaguely like medicine only occasionally glancing at bits and bottles they were looking for. It was a fairly simple thing in their mind, late at night, hit the clinic. Much less security then a regular pharmacy, certainly there wasn't an alarm like most places. They were armed, but most of their guns were holstered, they didn't expect much if any fight.

Carrie coughed as she looked at the clock and let itself tick away as she assessed her options. Okay, in good concience she had exactly two options. Drug seeking behavior was a likely explanation, in the Fens it was often the only explanation really, and drug seekers were not the most rational of folks then there was the Doctor. She didn't know him that well, she didn't know what experiences  he had or what he was capable of, but she suspected something that as a general whole was true for most people,

He wasn't bulletproof.

Coughing a little she jumped off the bed and glanced at the little black domes on the wall. Whatever, she didn't feel like changing for this, she'd just cough up a lunge in her mask and make herself sick again later. Walking over to the door she took a second to examine the lock and produced a credit card from her wallet. It popped and she turned the handle and looked down the hallway, no doctor, which wasn't good, taking a guess at the buildings layout she sprinted in the direction they heard the breaking glass.

He flipped a switch as he passed it, killing the lights in the storage room he knew they were probably in. He suspected that they were there for drugs. With any luck they'd freak out, maybe even run away.

He stepped into the room and let them take in just how frightening he was. With the light coming in from the other rooms, he was a silhouette. Nearly seven feet tall, with no eyes, nose or mouth. His body was a grotesque display of muscle and bones, far larger and more muscular than all but some metahumans. He extended the two tentacles from his shoulders and let them hover in the air menacingly.

Tyrone Mendoza had a light, pleasant voice that was soothing to patients. The suit dropped his voice by several octaves, leaving it a deep baritone. So when he let out a low growl, it sounded as though it came from some sort of monster.

GM

When the robbers looked towards the door, they were stunned.

"What the hell is THAT?!"

The large bug like thing that nearly touched the ceiling in height loomed over them in the darkness. One of them outright ran away at the sight stating quite frankly he wasn't paid enough to deal with this. Two of them, not so much. They immediately drew they weapons and opened fire on the new person. Though one of them was shaking so badly that his shot went long and left an indention in the drywall. The other hit on the mark only for the bullet to be casually deflected off the armor.