"Hatred itself does nothing good in the world. It hurts you, and even if you act out the hatred, you might feel good for a moment, but then you'll need something else to hate. But I am going to disagree a bit with you, my friend."

He laid one hand on the former drone's shoulder and looked him square in the eye, or at least tried to.

"Maybe you can't change the past, or bring the dead back. But what you can do is choose what to do now. What to do today. What to do tomorrow. If there was truly no escape from the Terminus, you'd be serving it still. You'd be bitter and hateful. You're not. You choose, every day, to help people. Some that you know, some that you don't. Some that love you, some that hate you, some that fear you, and some that just don't know you."

He gives a wan smile.

"One thing the Scripture and my school teachers and my priests have all emphasized is that man is capable of great depravity...but that all of us can make the choice to put that aside. Sometimes, it takes outside help. But it can be done."

At the scarred man's other question, he frowned thoughtfully, his hand finally releasing Steve's shoulder as he clasped them behind his back in thought.

"I wouldn't say it's impossible, but the folks who were actually from the Shadow realm seemed to be under the control of those two minions of Hades. And it seemed more like said minions wanted to use the lives of those people for...some sort of plot. What, I don't know. But something. I can't say it's impossible for servants of Light and Good to fall to the wayside, but I would say that the situation's not a simple as we might have first thought. If you're worried about it, I'll swing by the place where my angel friend stays these days and see if he's heard anything unusual lately, or if he could ask around."

Edited by KnightDisciple

"Yes, I have spoken with him at length these last few years. He admits that the Terminus is a mystery to his people, save as an embodiment of what was cast out of their realm in ancient times." Steve knew of Carson's deep faith in his god, and chose not to delve any deeper down that particularly murky path. He was in something of a sticky situation where he sat, not trusting himself to move without showing pain, but knowing his friend lacked the strength to carry his augmented body. "I do not need your comfort, my friend," he told Carson gently, pat-patting his hand with his own. "I have been wounded today, but all my hurts will heal with time. Those who went below, and sought to die rather than be taken again..." He let his hand fall away, and looked up at Carson. "I would have done the same had I been them," he said frankly. "Anyone would." 

Gabriel nodded. 

"The Terminus isn't exactly casual reading. Still, good to hear they're not making inroads everywhere just yet. Then again, that's why I said this whole thing seems like there's multiple layers going on..."

He sighs, frustrated at lacking all the pieces to a puzzle he know he won't like.

"I'm the sort who offers comfort all the time, Steve. It's in my nature. Though, are you really sure you don't need a doctor? I don't want your girlfriend hunting me down or frying my laptop remotely or something because you bled on the carpet or whatnot."

His good mood reduced at Steve's solemn proclamation of how he'd have tried for suicide wasn't exactly fun conversation.

"We'll try and make sure it doesn't come to that."