"This just gets better and better" cursed Carmen. 

"Billy, get me some proper clothes. The night may be warm, but I don't want to spend the rest of it half naked. And get that damn splint of mine too..." she said, with an edge of irritation. She didn't like ordering him around, but it looked like they were in for a rough night and time was of the essence. 

"Alex, this is going to be one hell of a night, and that I say that possibly in a literal sense" she said. "We need to find out who summoned these demons, rescue the ship and its crew, and hole up somewhere safe. And probably all three at once. But I can't do it all alone..." she said, breathless. 

"So tell me, where is this safest place in this island to defend, what weapons have we got, and who the hell would do this to Archeron?" she asked. 

"And please tell me you have some fast way of getting down to the dock! As you may have gathered" she said, gesturing to her cane "I'm not much of a runner..."

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GM Post

"Uh... Right!" Billy replied, and he scooted off to Carmen's bedroom. Four of the villa staff that were present went to accompany Billy, for safety, under Alex's command. "No one goes anywhere alone, unless I say so. At all times, move on groups of no less than four people, understand!" he barked at the other servants. "This is serious, we can't afford to lose even one person."

"Ummm... sir Movida?" "WHAT IS IT NOW?" "What should we do about lord Phlegethon's... I mean..." "..." This had given pause to the valet. He looked at the body of Acheron, bathed on its own blood, and he sighed. "... it pains me to say so, but just throw a bedsheet on it and leave it there. At least until we can breath a fress air from these monsters, we can't afford to concern ourselves with anyone but the living. Afterwards, we will... just... just put a bedsheet on him, will ya?" "Right away."

After they were done, Alex dismissed the last 5 people who were with him and Carmen. Turning to Carmen, he shook his head. "... I really don't know what to say, miss Canto. You were the one who was able to converse with the demons, and that makes you more knowledgeable on their motivations than I am, other than the fact that they wanted to kill us all. As far as refuges go, the dinning room is as good as any, since it has access to the kitchen and the cellar."

"As for shortcuts, I'm afraid there's none. As I had said, when you arrived, no vehicles operate in this island, and while the path does have a few twists and turns, the truth of the matter is that the forests that surround it are pretty thick, and make it easy to get lost."

Edited by Vahnyu

Carmen grimaced inside. 

"The hard way it is" she said, lacing her voice with steel. She would have to lace her body with just such a determination too, as she strapped her splint on and put on her jacket and jeans. 

"Billy, Alex, get everyone to the dining rooms. Grab every weapon you can, even if its a kitchen carving knife. The ammunition won't last for ever. And hole yourself up. Leave the ship to me. I'm going on a rescue mission" she said. 

"Even if it it does take me half the night to get down there. I'm going as fast as I can..."

"Alex, if you can get them, a flashlight and a radio would be handy. Even a pistol and a flare gun if you can spare them. But don't waste time. We don't have time to waste. I'm going out in the next minute or two with or without them. And you need to get holed up in the next five..."

"And when I get back, I'm going to find out who did this and I'm going to rip out their..."

She stopped herself and stormed off. She didn't know what she was going to do. She just knew she was blazing with fury. 

GM Post

"Even if you deal with such situations on a frequent basis, I'm still sorry to have to ask you to go on this rescue mission on your own, miss Canto." Alex said, as Carmen took charge of the situation. Billy, who had only just made it there, gave Carmen a set of clothes he found in her bag, and her splint. "As soon as you're ready, we'll go to the living room, in order to give you the things you've asked." Alex led Carmen to another room in the floor, in order for her to change clothes, and when she got out, they all went to the living room.

There, Alex provided her with a radio and a flashlight, as well as a bag with three rifles. "Here you go, miss Canto. I've packed some extra rifles. The crew may not be armed, and I'm guessing it would be more prudent to have at least two more helping hands on your trip back. Here's the radio that you requested, but I would advise caution; we don't know the exact range that our communications still work, thanks to the weather. Please maintain contact at all times, so that we keep aware of your position."

Billy watched impatiently. "Good luck, miss Carmen." He said to the woman. The other staff observed the situation curiously, seemingly unsure as to why only one woman, the guest, was being sent on this mission, but ultimately trusting Alex's judgement.

Outside, the hailstorm raged still.

"Ouch ouch ouch" yelped Carmen as she raised her hand to the biting hailstones. 

Tazel, "FIRE ME UP!" she said, aloud this time, to the beat of fire and smoke, as the demon in the belly spread it warmth begrudgingly through her flesh and bones. 

At least she wouldn't freeze to death. 

"What the hell kind of weather is this anyway?" she asked aloud, aware that her question might well also be the answer. 

She shouldered her bag. The rifles were not particularly heavy, but she didn't really want to carry any more weight than she needed to. It would be a slog for her with her limp. At least it was down hill, she conceded. 

Trailing a plume of smoke, she set of down the hill, cursing with every stumble and every crack of hailstone that caught her in the face. 

GM Post

The hail continued to fall, and the wind blowed with rage, causing many of the trees to distort their shape and bend violently. The path was clear, but due to the darkened sky and the shifting trees, visibility was quite limited.

As soon as Carmen stepped out, she immediately became aware of a magic scent in the air. This was strong magic, arcane magic making its workings. She was aware that a spell originating from somewhere within the island was responsible for creating the hailstorm, which acted as a space distorting barrier, keeping everything within its area of influence from escaping, and everything without from infiltrating it.

Carmen recalled that the wayfrom the beach to the manor had taken about half an hour during the tour. Perhaps if she rushed, she could halve or even third that amount of time. Of course, that may prove to be a difficult task to achieve, especially given that she wasn't alone; even through the low visibility, Carmen had become aware that the place was teeming in demonic creatures that looked like feral animals. Charcoal-Black Wolves, Giant Spiders, human-shaped Eagles... even so, though, the creatures didn't appear to make a move at Carmen. But they watched her intently, as if waiting for their prey to make one wrong move, to loosen its guard...

Despite the darkness, Pitches' blazing black and red eyes could see perfectly thanks to the demon burning in her belly.

All hell was breaking loose it seemed. What fool had caused this? Surely not Archeron himself? Had he made some self destructive pact for his riches and his music?

She raised her Cantos Stick To the hail and shouted in defiance.

"See this, pathetic crawling worms? If you don't know it, you should! Any insect that dares cross my path I will bind to me and make it endure such slavery!"

She stamped her cane to the ground and ripped the silk top further down the back, making it hang lower. Modesty be damned, the full glory of the Cantos tattoo stretched down her spine and blazed wit her will.

"You have never been able to touch me, and you never will!" she said, full of steel, as she marched on down to the dock, billowing smoke and wisps of fire.

GM Post

At once the beasts recoiled at the sight of the glowing tattoo, the fireworks Carmen exuded, and the imposing image of the ferocious Cantos Cane. But after the initial shock, they resumed positions, keeping an intent eye at Carmen all the while. The spectacle hadn't deterred them one bit, but at least, it hadn't provoked them into action either.

"Heeheeheeheeee!... Well, master, that certainly seemed to accomplish... something" Tazel spat.

Carmen continued her journey, and thirteen minutes later, she managed to leave the forest behind her and reach the pier. The S.S. Gadelica was stationed there, seemingly abandoned, barring the occasional pterodactilus-looking demon flying over the ship, almost like a vulture. The small storehouse next to the pier was another story altogether, though. It appeared occupied and barricaded, a few rays of light escaping from the chasms betraying activity.

As astute as ever, my friend answered Pitch back at her stomach. She full of irritation at Tazel's accurate comment and equally determined not to show it. 

Instead she stamped her cane down on the ground once more in irritation. The hailstones continued to sting her but many melted and steamed off her face as she breathed fire and smoke. She continued her slow march down to the edge of the Island. 

Later...

Carmen surveyed the scene of the night. She had no doubt that things were bad, and probably worse than bad. She slung the bag on her shoulder back over her shoulder. 

Kill the flames, Tazel. 

She smoked down to just her Jacket, Jeans, and Boots. 

"Ouch Ouch Ouch!" she swore at the cold hailstones. It wasn't much fun without Tazel's warmth. But then, if the crew of the ship had been fighting off demons the last thing she wanted was to look like one herself. Better to tolerate a minute of the storm for the sake of appearances. 

She marched up to the hut and banged on the door. 

"Hello? Hello? Is anyone in there? I've come to help!" she shouted. 

GM Post

For a while, no sound would come, and even if it did, it was promptly drowned out by the sound of hails smashing in the roof of the storehouse. After a while though, a voice was heard. "Who... who is it? Are you from the mansion?" It went. Slowly, some more light was shed through the cracks. "Captain! It's a human! A woman, it appears." The voice confirmed.

"...Yes, Franken, I had my suspicions that the voice belonged to a human woman, what with sounding exactly like someone who is human and female would sound, if they spake English. I mean, what else could she possibly be?" The Captain responded, somewhat annoyed.

"... One of those... monsters?" the man who went by Franken said, uncertainly.

"One of those monsters?..." The Captain parroted. Tsk-ing, the Captain presumably rubbed her temples, before asking Franken "Tom, just... how in hell's name do you expect one of those monsters to be able to reproduce the vocal range of a human woman?"

Thinking it a bit, Tom Franken admited "... eh, I dunno... I certainly wasn't expecting facing any sort of monster whatsoever, so your guess is as good as mine, Captain."

More silence followed. The Captain decided to break it. "... Just open the damn door, Tom." her tone suggested that she had to admit, even he could have a point from time to time.

"Yes, ma'am." he responded, ushering Carmen inside the storehouse, while three more sailors were by his side, covering him with their rifles.

"I'm no monster, I can assure you" said Carmen, brushing back her hair. She was pretty tired, the walk, at a rush, had taken it out of her. She could feel the joints of her paralysed leg grinding pain, and welts dug into her orthotics. 

She put on her best face for the Captain anyway. 

"I'm here to rescue you" she said, slinging down her bag ruefully. 

I carted these damn things all the way here, and now they have their own weapons....

"The Island has been overrun by demons. Don't ask me how, but I intend to find out. Archeron's staff are holed up in his residence, best as they can. And I think that's the best place to be right now. Its got food, water, and can be defended. You guys won't stick it out long here, alone..." she said, tailing her sentence away. An image of Archeron's murder flashed before her eyes, but she felt it best to omit that horror from her story. 

She slumped down onto a chair. 

"But I could do with a breather, and a coffee..." she complained, massaging her leg. 

• 3 weeks later...

GM Post

"... I see..." the captain remarked, as she gestured at one of the crew to search the bag. Noticing her leg, and remembering their time in the ship, on their way to the Riverrock Island, she let a laugh escape her as she remarked "Well, I'm not sure if your bravery is well-founded, or if you're just plain suicidal, especially considering the condition of your leg, but what I AM sure is that you have our collective gratitude. Me and the boys were gonna wait for the storm to pass and the sun to rise, before heading for the mansion, but seeing as you made your way here unhar-..." noticing the unattended wound on Carmen's shoulder, she corrected herself "-well, relatively unharmed, that is, I think it would be safe to say that we stand more than a fair chance of making it to the mansion in one piece, and that we'd be fools not to take it."

"Well, Captain, this one's full of guns. Riffles and cartidges."

Seeing as it contained riffles, she said, breathing a sigh of relief. "I assume these are for us? Good to know. We have some weapons of our own, but we were cutting it dangerously close as it is, and it wouldn't harm us to have some back up, in case things go south." To the sailors, she turned and shouted "Hear that? Everyone grab two to three riffles, and make sure they are loaded. If you find yourselves running out of ammo in the midst of combat, don't bother reloading, discard the riffle and pick a replacement."

As most the crew went on further arming themselves, the captain addressed Carmen again. "Don't worry, dear. Rest as long as you need. We took a few first aid kits here, in order to tend to some of our wounded." She gestured towards the back of the storehouse, where two sailors had bandaged hands and feet, and one more was wrapped in a bed, sweating profusely. "We'll see to your wound, and then let you catch your breath. After that, we're heading out when you're ready. How does that sound?"

"Knock yourself out" said Carmen, passing the rifles. "At least I didn't haul this lot here for nothing..." she sighed, still massaging her leg. 

"I got stung by some nasty piece of work. Nothing serious. I'll live..." she said. There was an irritating itch to her wound, but she was pretty sure she would heal in time. 

And, she needed a rest. 

"Look, I don't mind telling you, I'm beat. I could do with a cup of coffee and a bowl of warm soup, but I guess you didn't pack that with you when you ran here. I could do with a breather, though. We better make for hills and get back to the group there sooner or later, but its a long walk uphill, and that's going to hurt me..."

GM Post

The captain nodded in understanding. "I see... Also, you don't have to worry about the march to the mansion. If you start feeling tired or in pain, we could give you a hand or a shoulder. That way, you won't have to put too much stress into your foot, at least." One of the sailors was approaching, holding a first aid kit, but the captain waved him off. "It's okay, Hobson. She says she doesn't need any medical aid at the moment."

Hobson looked at Carmen's wound, raising an eyebrow. "But Captain!? look at the size of that hole! It looks like someone shoved a rod in there!"

"Well, it appears as if it's been cauterized already."

"You got that right." Hobson scoffed. "It looks so messy, I doubt any bacteria could survive in there."

"Hobson..." The Captain said, feeling her patience wearing off.

"Right, right, she doesn't want any medical aid. Fine." Hobson left with a sour look on his face. Turning back, he said to Carmen "If you change your mind, make sure to let me know. I'll fix your wound up in no time."

Carmen waved away Hobson, wondering at his bedside manner. 

"I'm fine, honestly" she smiled at him. Truth was, Tazel was pretty good at burning away any diseases and when he was bubbling inside her veins, she healed well. 

"I just need to catch my breath. It nasty weather out there, Captain. I'm no sailor, but hailstones seems mighty unnatural this time of year. If we go out, you better wrap up warm and eat well. Its a haul back to the mansion" she explained. 

"And I don't really want to stay here longer than we have to, in case something even more natural comes a-knockin'"

GM Post

The Pier

01:43

About half an hour had passed, the hailstorm continuing relentlessly. Carmen had managed to recover from the fatigue, at least, as much as she could without a full night's rest. Two of the sailors had been struggling to stay awake, but their coworkers had roused them to attention, and helped them keep focus. By now, everyone was up and about, all packed up, and ready to weather the hailstorm, and make their way to the villa.

Groups of two had been keeping close to each one of the wounded sailors, helping them stand, and making sure that they didn't further injure themselves. The Captain herself was up and about, bellowing orders at her crew. At her command, the door opened, bringing in the cold breeze from outside. "Alright, men and women, we've waited here long enough. Let's move out!"

HEHHEHEHEHEEEE! This should be fun, fun, fun, master! Should any demon decide making minced meat out of your group, it will be akin to shooting fish in a barrel for that demon! Especially those poor sick fellas over there...

Thanks for the heads up, you toad! grunted Carmen back at the little demon inside her. 

Truth was, she had the same concerns - but it was, she judged, better than sitting tight like rats in a trap. 

"Captain, this is going to be a long hard journey, and there are things out here that will put your hair on end - at the best. At worst, they could make my little scratch look like a walk in the park...." she said, seriously. 

"So lets take it slow, and steady, and be ready for a fight, huh?" she explained. 

"And before you freak out, I'd better warn you...."

She belched smoke and once again her clothes changed to the silk and leather, her eyes glowed a deep red in black, and wisps of flame fell from her mouth. 

"I know how to handle whatever pit spawn are out there, and throw it right back at them...."

GM Post

The captain of the S.S. Gadelica looked at Carmen, her eyes widening at the transformation of the reporter's clothes. A few of the sailors spotted the spectacle as well, and some trained their rifles at Carmen, all the while recoiling a few steps. The captain raised her hand and said "At ease, everyone!!..." in order to buy herself some time to clear her thoughts, before anyone got any bright ideas about filling Carmen with holes. Then, realisation dawned her. "You are... You're one of those... Superheroes, aren't you?... Heh!" At the mention of the word Superheroes, and the laughter that escaped her, everyone else lowered their weapons. They were still unsure as to what exactly Carmen was, but at least, they wouldn't jump the trigger at her smallest movement.

"Hehehe... HAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!" While everyone had relaxed, the Captain's outburst puzzled them. "Ahahahaaa.... oh my... so that's it, huh? That's why you weren't affraid to move in the out without escort... hehheheee..."

"Ohhh! I see!"

"Yeah, now that she-Uh, I mean, the captain mentions it, yeah, it does make sense." One of the female officers remarked.

"I still think she might be one of those monsters in disquise...."

"Tch, shut up Tom...."

"Jus' sayin', 'sall."

Ignoring the chatter going on, the Captain said to Carmen. "Very well, then, miss Canto. Me and my crew are counting on your support."

Pitch looked back at the motley crew. 

"I guess I am one of those Superheroes" she conceded. "Although not your regular kind!" she explained, belching smoke and wisps of flame. 

"And normally I wouldn't let on about my little secret, you understand? So you can keep this part of the story to yourselves, right?" she said, her eyes glowing red for a moment. 

"I fight to keep demons and beasts out of this world. And if you say who I am, that's going to be a problem. For me and you..." she said, without enigma. Her words were heavy and hard, intimidating but not violent. 

And they were pretty true. 

She cracked her knuckles and gripped the Cantos Cane. 

"Wrap up warm and follow me. You have my support. But keep those gun's alive..." she ordered, before setting out on the march. 

• 2 months later...

GM Post

Soon the S.S. Gadelica crew, with the support of Carmen, exited the warehouse by the pier, and headed towards the villa. Everyone kept their riffles trainned, and remained under combat readiness at all times. Still no sign of the demonic creatures could be found, aside from faraway cries and screams that sounded otherworldly. Tom Franken kept a worrying look, as he tried to scour the place for any sudden movements. That the hailstorm was causing every plantlife to engage in sudden movements didn't help his mood at all. "Is it just me, or does anyone else feel more worried that we don't encounter any more of those hellish pests?"

Another sailor by his side, one the group had referred to as Angelica, previously, nodded in agreement. "Hate to say it, but Franken's got a point. Whatever these creatures are, they've been far too indiscriminate in their display of power so far, for them to suddenly keep mum."

"You think there's something afoot, Theodine? I mean, more than what already's going on?" The Captain asked Angelica.

"I dunno... Whatever it is, I think we should hurry up and-"

As the group passed near the crossroad that led to the abandoned village, a light could be seen at the distance, coming from the direction of the monastery. More worryingly, while the hailstorm continued to fall, more furiously than ever, no sound could be heard...

"Silence is golden, huh?"

Pitch put her hand to her brow and peered at the light in the distance. 

"This is not right, guys. Storms normally make some noise back where I from. Dorothy, I guess we ain't in Kansas no more..."

She gripped the Cantos Cane firmly and pressed on, smoke and fire wrapping her body as Tazel bubbled inside her body. 

"Whatever it is, we can't ignore it. It's playing with us, drawing us in. Those demons didn't just vanish because of a few guns. There is a deeper game they are playing" She spat, a little lick of fire instead of her spit. 

"Well, I hope they choke on my bones. I'm going to find out exactly what's in that monastry..."

GM Post

Carmen spoke to the Gadelica crew, and the crew talked back to her. She noticed something weird though. Their voices couldn't reach her. Far more worrying, was the fact her own voice couldn't reach her either. As she made her way to the monastery, she found that her path was blocked by a thick concentration of trees. The trees twisted and turned as she passed through them, and she continued walking for a couple of minutes, after which she found herself facing the S.S.Gadelica crew again, only this time, she had reached them from the rear of their formation, which was in the opposite direction from which she had left them.

Tazel, of course, took it upon himself to speak to Carmen, in his usual mocking tones.

-------------

However, the imp found that even his thoughts couldn't reach his master, much to his utter frustration.

Well, every cloud has its silver lining thought Carmen to herself as she enjoyed the silence of Tazel. Of course, she could order the little devil to shut up if she wanted, but there was a perverse satisfaction to knowing the toad couldn't talk to her if it wanted to. 

Wait...

-----

Damn....

The little demon was of course bound to do what she commanded. But now, she couldn't command it. 

Tazel was, she reasoned, essentially stuck on her last command to fire her up. He was boiling inside her, filling her with smoke and flame. Handy, of course. It made her stronger. And in the freezing hail, warmer. But it wouldn't be much help if she wanted to be Carmen Cantos again. She didn't fancied being locked in looking like a living bonfire for the rest of her life. Kissing wouldn't be much fun, for starters. 

She waved her cane at the sailors and gestured at the monastery. At least she, and they could still see. 

for now...

GM Post

It took the sailors some time, but they eventually realised what it was that Carmen was gesturing about. One by one, they started heading towards the direction of the monastery, through the same path that Carmen had taken, not too long ago. Soon they were out of sight, leaving only Carmen in the clearing. The hail raged furiously, the wind blew with all its might, trees were shaking and leaves were fluttering... and yet, still no sound could be heard. Two minutes later, one of the Gadelica crew found his way back to the clearing, coming from Carmen's left. Two more sailors returned from her right, and three more from her front. In a minute or so, everyone had found his way back to the clearing, and they were all perplexed by the bizzare outcome. One sailor took it upon herself to run back towards the direction from were she had just arrived, while signaling on everyone else to stay put, only to quickly find herself back from a completely different direction.

-------------

Tazel still failed to establish a connection with Carmen. But then, something else happened.

"KHYAAA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HAAA!" Everyone looked surprised at the sound of a hideous laughter that echoed throughout the area, comming at once from everywhere and from nowhere. The voice was distorted, and sounded sinister and old, like it belonged to an old witch from folklore.

Edited by Vahnyu

Pitch opened her mouth to let loose a bellow of smoke and fire - but no sound. 

Let 'em know you have a sting at least...

She gripped the Cantos cane firmly and gestured to the soldiers around them. She pointed to her eyes and gestured. Her finger pointed north, south, west and east. They needed eyes - and guns on every corner. 

They were like bugs in a web...

...caught in a trap...

Wherever they went, they would end up back in the clearing, that was for sure. The whole island had slid into hell, as far as she was concerned. Reality had taken a holiday. Right now, all they could do was survive. Survive until she could find some way to get them back. 

She threw an experimental bolt of fire, defiantly, into the north, to see if it would provoke any reaction from the cackling beast, whoever - or whatever - it was...