I Crush Everything [IC]

Temperance scratched her chin. "Yes, that would be a heavy disincentive to diplomacy," she said. She knew the spirits of the water locally... but she was afraid she didn't know them as well as Wave-Eye might. Especially the more veteran ones that might have knowledge of the Leviathan's procedures. And going to her father was definitely out of the question, at least for now...

"However, we should probably be safe if I do the talking. You point me to where we can find them, and I will represent us."

In time, the group came to an undeveloped part of the Centery Narrows. Here, sea met sand with little to clutter up the works. Temperance approached the edge of the surf, feeling it wash up over her boots.

Let's just hope I don't get Dad...

"Hail, great spirits of the oceans. Of sea and surf, of tide and torrent. I seek your aid in knowledge of movements of the waters, of --"

The waters surged, as if something deep was rising. Temperance was almost expecting something human, like Poseidon himself... but then the head of a giant turtle emerged from the surf, coming to rest on the beach. On closer inspection, the entire thing - eyes, flesh, and beak - was made of congealed water.

"Greetings, children of flesh and soil. What is it you seek?"

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nervousness, something that the hulking triton had rarely felt in all his eons of existence, flooded to the fore in this hour. A meeting like this was far removed from anything he wanted to deal with, and as they had approached the place where the ondines gathered he wished himself back in the bowels of the Earth.

Deciding that he wouldn't be able to do much if he spoke, he got out of the way by kneeling on the shore and shoving his face into the water, all but prostrating himself before the water spirit as he spoke humbly "O ondine, we seek knowledge of the water's movements, for a shard of Leviathan has awakened and wandered to the shore. Have you heard anything about this happening? Anything you can tell us would be gratefully taken."

Silver Spider stood back a ways from the water's edge, giving Temperance plenty of room to work. She might be a scientist but she was willing to accept there were just some things science just could not fully explain. She had certainly seen enough of it while doing to adventuring thing with her father.

Instead of paying much attention to the other woman's, she wasn't sure but they sounded like prayers she had heard before somewhere in the southern pacific actually, she allowed her mind to drift a little as she considered upgrades to her costume and web shooters.

When the turtle's head plopped out of the water, it took every bit of self control not to end up jumping ten feet straight up. 'Okay, I wasn't expecting that,' she thought as she let the aquatic duo play diplomat.

The gigantic turtle studied Wave-Eye. "We recognize you," it said, "son of the Jade Skirt. It has been centuries since we met you last... and the circumstances were less than pleasant." Temperance held her breath for a second before the elemental shook its head. "But that was so long ago. And there are more important matters at hand."

Thank God for diplomacy. Temperance took a step forward to close the distance with the giant turtle. "The Leviathan wakes, and strikes against the firmament. We are not aware of any reason for his fury, and wish to seek the knowledge of the Court of Tides on this matter."

The turtle cocked its head. "That can't be true," he said. "If the Leviathan were preparing to strike against all the Dry, then the word would go out to all his ranks. He may be lord of all the world's waters, but he still has his serfs to call on. But we've heard no such word."

Okay, so we're not going to be wiped out for dropping one too many six pack rings in the ocean. That's the good news. Bad news is that means someone's ordering the Leviathan around...

'Oh thank Teotl. They can put aside past grievances much better than I had hoped.' Wave-Eye thought in relief, sinking his head slightly further into the sandy water.

His voice echoed through the windy air of the narrows, grating out "I thank you for your forgiveness, O spirit of the waters. I shall do all I can to make amends for the wrongs I have done to your people." Hunching up his massive shoulders he went on, a little muffled by the partial submersion of his head "You have not heard that Leviathan stirs? That is...very strange indeed. Tell me," he asked carefully "Did you sense the disturbance of the shard of the Mighty One that attacked nearby? In the river due west?"

He glanced briefly at the two human women, wondering vaguely why they weren't also bowing.

• 2 weeks later...

"Yes," said the great turtle, "yes, I knew there was a disturbance. But... I did not know what it was. There are so many things down in the lightless depths, forgotten by mankind. I thought it might have been one of them, but... for it to be the Leviathan..."

So lots of drowned and hungry things just waiting down below. That's a happy thought.

"These things buried deep... maybe the Leviathan's not the only thing that's been stirring down below. Have there been any other disturbances in the drowned regions?"

"Not many... but there was a small tremor a week ago, on the edge of these very shores. And it led back to the domain of the Northern Atlantic. We did not dig further. We do not wish to have much to do with Dagon's get..."]

Oh. Oh, that's just great.

From the shallow water Wave-Eye gurgled "So, there is even more than Leviathan afin? Dire news indeed, for everyone..." he grated dourly, raising his head and back, though he kept his head gently inclined.

"Is Dagon yet awake? If so we or others will do their best to return him to his slumber. Then again...might he and Dread Leviathan have been drawn by the same power?" he asked dubiously "Have you heard of any new powers in the waves?"

"No new tremors beneath the grand cycle," said the giant turtle, "and Dagon does not wake. Not so soon. A year ago, he attempted to rise up in the Western Atlantic, off of the outcropping of the mass known as America. But he was sent back soon by human workings, and his power broke." The turtle looked meditative. "Though, that could be why..."

"What?" asked Temperance. "What could be why?"

"His children had long been waiting for his rise... and he was driven back down into the depths almost as soon as he had woken, to slumber once more and regroup his power. They would be, no doubt, disappointed. And they would try to command another form of strength. Dagon's children know lost and dreadful secrets of the ocean, ones hidden to the surface since the great reclaiming of Atlantis..."

"There any other disturbances you've felt?" she asked. "Any other great movements?"

"A pull... slight, but persistent. Where the weighted ships lessen their loads."

"The docks." Temperance turned to the others. "They're doing their ritual at the Waterfront."

Wave-Eye did his best not to look irritated 'Yes, that's what the ondine just said human child, why did you have to ruin that?' aloud he said, rising to his feet "Well then, let us be off! I shall go the direct route, I have no heart for the subtle approach."

Walking up to his broad hips in the water, there was a flash of light as his legs joined together, once again sealing into the mighty dragon's tail that flicked a spray of water into the air. Turning back to the humans he called over "If you have no quicker path, you are welcome to sit on my back, I will gladly serve as ferryman." Bowing his head into the Centary Narrows he added sonorously to the ondine "We thank you for your aid, wise one of the deep. May the waters of your home flow unending."

Looking between Wave-Eye and Temperance, Silver Spider ran the figures in her head. "Perhaps rather than sitting on your back, Temperance could whip up another chunk of ice for us to stand on while I supply the barge ropes? There is no way I would be able to make the trip in time to be of any help if I had to swing from building to building to get there."

As she spoke, she was already letting out a slow stream of webbing from her wrists, twisting and braiding it into a makeshift rope.

"That shouldn't be a problem," said Temperance - and it sounded like she meant it this time. She'd practiced this a few times before; a few times it had been brittle, other times it had started to fall apart only a few feet off the ground. But this time it felt more than solid, thick as steel. "All aboard."

With the others on the sled, Temperance was able to take to the sky, focusing her attention almost entirely on keeping the icy vehicle aloft. Just like riding a bike... a huge, cold bike a hundred feet or so off the ground... okay, that's not a good way to think about it... just keep going...

In time, the docks and warehouses of the Waterfront could be seen below the sled. Temperance slowly brought it down into the river, then forded the sled over to a tiny dock. It seemed a lot safer than trying to land it on concrete. "Now we just have to find where they're conducting this ceremony..."

The triton gurgled in grudging admiration as he watched the small ice platform coalesce into existence out of the sea. He slithered up through the gently rolling waves and tested it with a claw, grating "Hrugh. Grand work Temperance." with a curt nod before taking up a seat at the back, draping himself over it with profound unconcern, his head resting comfortably under the Narrows.

Flight was something he had rarely experienced in such favorable circumstances, mostly it happened when he had rather fewer limbs and was being flung in a bloody arc out of the fight by some savage fighter of the depths. He closed his eyes and gripped the sledge under his iron nails, enjoying the miracle as they sailed through the air, tumbling off with a jolt as Temperance landed them softly on the far side among the towering shadows of human industry, sliding up onto the shore and regaining his more human legs with a flash of light. He looked around at the new surroundings with guarded interest.

"Now we just have to find where they're conducting this ceremony..."

"I will try and spot them." Wave-Eye rattled, his black eyes suddenly shining with a spectral light as the darkness was slowly replaced by a cold green. When they had almost entirely turned the color of jade, he took a deep breath and peered slowly through the evening air, searching for the tell-tale signs of human witchcraft...

...And found it!

With a rasp like water over stone he grated "There are four of your race, inside that structure" he pointed an accusing spined claw at the warehouse and describing them as best he could"they are doing magic with a vast cauldron of water. Let us go!" So saying he set out at a brisk walk for the building, unslinging the Red Wave conch from his side and tying its harsh leather cord around his forearm.

"Tell me, Silver Spider, are you capable of great stealth? The Japanese spider clans I fought against many centuries ago could hide in ways no triton could imagine." he asked the arachnid-themed gravity-manipulating heroine with a casual air "I have heard your land spiders are even quieter." He added thoughtfully. 'A small lake, an excellent weapon for the water girl.' he thought with eager anticipation.

• 2 weeks later...

Silver Spider stood on the icy vehicle, glad for the boots she had appropriated for her costume. The thick, slip resistant treads helping keep her balance. "Glad I didn't mention seats, I'm pretty sure I'd end up with frostbite on my butt half-way through the ride," she quipped.

At Wave-Eye's question she turned her head towards the Triton, "I'm marginal at best when it comes to stealth. My main saving grace until I get some more practice is I can crawl along paths normal people can't get to. Human nature being to scan left to right, then up and down and all. It might be best if there was a distraction outside before I go in."

"A distraction?" Temperance looked to the gigantic ice sled that was still floating a good foot off of the ground. "I think I can manage something like that."

She palmed the tip of the sled, running her hand over the front of it as if admiring her own handiwork (which, to be fair, she was - she hadn't been expecting something so solid on this go around). A chunk of ice the size of a soccer ball came off so smoothly, one would think it had been fitted in to the front. The ball hung in the air a good inch from Temperance's palm, and she drew back as if throwing a pitch. She let fly, and the ball soared through the air - and right through the windows of the warehouse. The sounds that came from inside did not sound anything like human.

"The ice is melted," she said, "and it's likely dark enough in there that they might think some child just threw a rock in. But you have your distraction."

"Good shot." Wave-Eye said gruffly, but with mild approval, the simple but effective trick warming his heart. "I will go in through the front, perhaps they will not expect it. At the least they will not expect us." He grinned "Tell me the wisest course you know, and I will follow it."

Sliding gracelessly across the open way towards the warehouse, he took up position by the front doors, giving a short wave to let the other two know he was ready to barge in and start laying about with all his watery might. His ears twitched as he listened carefully to the wind, and his eyes shone luminously in the dark, even though the jade color had been dispelled.

"What he said," Silver Spider added, clapping Temperance on the shoulder. While Wave-Eye was moving towards the front of the warehouse, the arachnid themed heroine launched a webline to a neighboring building, swinging up to find a perch allowing her to see through the broken window while remaining out of immediate sight.

Disrupting cultist's rituals, just like that time in the Yukitan, she thought to herself, trying to ignore the nervous excitement rushing through her body.

Silver Spider was able to get a fairly clear vantage into the warehouse, lit by the fading sun. There was a gigantic vat of water in the middle of the warehouse, somewhere around the size of a small dolphin habitat. It was filmed to the brim with water, and despite the fact that there didn't seem to be any means of propulsion or tiller, the water seemed to be sloshing about of its own accord. The people who'd been tending it - if they could be thought of as "people" - had scattered to the corners of the warehouse, looking for the source of the disturbance. The sunlight glistened off of their scales, revealing their hunched-over, piscine forms.

"I'd say wait for the second signal," Temperance said to Wave-Eye. "Silver Spider's got the best vantage. Odds are she can either stir the pot, or relay how best to next strike."

With a dull rattle of scales, Wave-Eye nodded. He stepped slowly back against the corner of the front door, pressed against it with his conch at the ready "I will wait until Silver Spider signals us. I will leave any spirits inside for you." Nochehuatl added with a shark-like grin.

His mighty body ready for battle, he turned to contemplating the situation, as best as someone like him could anyway. 'Odds are Deep Ones. They are perpetually causing trouble on the surface. We should have killed them all long ago. Mizuchi at least had some backbone there. The Atlanteans seem almost...sorry for them, somehow'

Glistening oddly in the fading light of the day, the massive triton waited patiently.

Having neglected to check for any sort of communication device between the aquatic heroes, Silver Spider looked back and forth between the scaled fish-men and their self-propelled tank of water to the others trying before figuring a signal unlikely to alert their targets.

It was somewhat sloppy but she was able to fire a quick series of webbing sprays on the ground, the result being four blobs roughly where the ritualists were standing inside. Once she had their attention she motioned for the other heroes to charge in. "Note to self, carry extra comm-links in the future," she muttered to herself.

Temperance nodded, and turned to what was left of the ice sled. Some of it was starting to slough off in the heat, but there was still enough to make quite an impact. With some effort, she managed to lift the mass off of the ground - and send it hurling at the doors of the warehouse at 100 MPH. The doors cracked with the first blow, creating a deep enough dent that getting in was no problem.

The Deep Ones were recoiling, partially from the impact and partially from the sudden inrush of light. That only lasted a few seconds, however, as one of them - probably some some of leader, judging by the sheer amount of golden jewelry he was wearing - pointed a fetid claw and clicked out something hideous. The others raised their tridents high, and charged at the heroes.

Temperance wasn't paying attention to them, however. She was paying attention to the huge tank of water, which seemed to shimmer with a strange energy. That must be what they're using to control the Leviathan. They put me in a warehouse full of magical water. She smiled. You might as well put a pyromaniac at a gas station.

Temperance drew her hands together, trying to get a hold of the water in the tank - but for some reason, it kept slipping from her grasp, like she was trying to pick up ice with thick, wet gloves. The Deep One, on the other hand, didn't seem to have any such trouble. He clapped his hands together, and the waters parted, surging almost to the roof of the warehouse. They crashed back down, and formed a swirling maelstrom... and in its depths, Temperance got the sense of something moving, crawling up from the depths. She saw an eye in the swirling waters, and got a sense of horrible insignificance in the face of the inevitable.

"They're calling the Leviathan," she said. "We need to take them down before this thing spills out into the entire city."

'And now, to battle!'

Darting out from behind the wall, Wave-Eye raised the conch to his lips and blew mightily through it, a gurgle suddenly followed by a roaring torrent of water that all but exploded out of the shell! Planting himself squarely on the ground the massive triton formed a vast sphere of red-streaked water around the Deep Ones, swirling around the aquatic abominations and totally encompassing them. Slinging it back at his side and breathing heavily from the exertion, he gestured to them with a spined claw and grinned at Temperance "Now, we will have some ammunition!" he looked darkly at the tank, adding "Do not worry, lady, such as these are rarely a true test of might." he cracked his knuckles and grinned at the four sea creatures with gleaming fangs "Prepare yourselves, craven minnows!"

Temperance smiled as the water swiftly encircled the Deep Ones; they didn't seem to be panicking under the torrent, as they were likely more used to being surrounded by water than walking on dry land. Then again, that would be cold comfort...

"You really know how to set them up, Wave-Eye," she said. "And now... to knock them down!"

She raised her hands high and wove her fingers together, as if forming a cat's cradle. She pulled the formation apart - and inside the sphere, there was chaos. Water tore off from the walls with all the force of a fire hose, striking the Deep Ones hard and fast. Even a lifetime spent in the depths of the ocean wasn't enough to prepare them for the onslaught. They were knocked about the sphere, with Wave-Eye's effort keeping them inside of it. Temperance cut off the barrage when she felt her will start to sap; even then, the Deep Ones were wandering about, trying wildly to get their bearings.

• 2 weeks later...

Laughing heartily at Temperance's elegant attack, the triton lifted the conch to his lips, this time preparing to sound a different note. A deep and solemn roar like the rush of an incoming flood over rocks resounded through the air, and the water in his prison began to churn. Slowly at first but faster and faster spun the water, the narrow red threads that bound it all together gradually reaching out to each other, colliding and forming into narrow blades that tore through the Deep Ones!

Raising the dolorous song to greater and greater heights, until the wobbling sphere thrashed and bubbled with its fury, the ancient soldier of wars that had never seen the Sun slammed his clawed and webbed foot down, denting the pavement and sending a rocketing blast of red water exploding through the deformed Atlanteans, slashing at them with inhuman strength!